Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: ::Gagak Rimang:: MATAYA - Boom Racing + Team Raffee Co. Defender 110

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2018, 10:35 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default ::Gagak Rimang:: MATAYA - Boom Racing + Team Raffee Co. Defender 110

Ahhh, it's been awhile since I posted anything here.

After pretty much 'completing' SKUNKWORKS (is there even such a thing as a completed project in this hobby?), I took a 6 month break from building. I do drive SKUNKWORKS around ocassionally but building another truck was not in the agenda.

Until now.

I was watching some TV at home with my kids last week when something just told me to switch on the computer and order a D110 from Asiatees.

I told my wife that I didn't know what happened and to not panic if she sees a huge box by the door.

Here's what I ordered:

Boom Racing D110 Chassis
Team Raffee Co. D110 body
Team Raffee 70mm shocks x 4
RC4WD 1.9" Landies Internal Beadlock Wheels x 6
RC4WD 1.9" Mud Plugger Scale Tyres x 6
Boom Racing Scale Front and Rear Hubs

I'll update you guys as soon as I know how huge the box is.

Last edited by Gagak Rimang; 06-03-2018 at 10:56 PM.
Gagak Rimang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2018, 03:43 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: ::Gagak Rimang:: MATAYA - Boom Racing + Team Raffee Co. Defender 110

"Al MATAYA" -a name given to a young camel that people can ride.

Amanda brought in some RC4WD Mud Plugger tyres to the garage today.

The 1.9 Steel Landies are also in. It’s currently being sprayed in a different colour. Should be installed by tonight.

Bishop has got some work to do.

Any guesses what the theme will be?

Last edited by Gagak Rimang; 06-25-2018 at 12:55 AM.
Old 06-07-2018, 06:51 AM   #3

Default Re: ::Gagak Rimang:: MATAYA - Boom Racing + Team Raffee Co. Defender 110

I can't see the photos so I assume they are linked to social media. I'm sure the build will be awesome just like your TF2!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 06:52 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I can't see the photos so I assume they are linked to social media. I'm sure the build will be awesome just like your TF2!

They are actually loaded directly into Tapatalk. Strange cause I can see them.

Thank you!

I’ll try to incorporate what I learnt from the TF2 to this build.
Old 06-07-2018, 06:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagak Rimang View Post

Thank you!

That explains it. The new "spam" filter at work thinks Tapatalk is social media so it blocks it.
Old 06-07-2018, 07:34 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I using Tapatalk right now and can’t see them.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:16 AM   #7
RCC Addict

I'm on my phone without tapatalk and no pics.

The build sounds cool.
hillbillyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:17 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Will try to upload them via pc and see how that turns out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-2018, 08:29 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Thank you!

Via Tapatalk.

Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:07 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Images should be up now
Old 06-07-2018, 10:09 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Got the weathering of the wheels done. I'll let this dry and complete assembling the kit before proceeding further to weather the whole truck as a whole.

Last edited by Gagak Rimang; 06-07-2018 at 10:15 AM.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:07 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

You know that feeling when you are just chilling at home on a Saturday watching some TV? Having a cup of iced latte. Occasionally going to you PC/phone looking at pictures of 1:1 trucks to inspire your next build.

The post office is closed so you don't really expect anything to be delivered and then....

BOOM!

MR. POSTMAN DECIDED TO DO SOME OVERTAAAIIIMMMMM!

Ohhh indeed my friends, indeed some fun shall be had.

You watch imthatguy's review and you know that its a detailed kit. You know what you're expecting but you still cant help but be awed by the sheer number of parts and the details.

This will keep me satisfied for awhile.
That's what she said.

Till next time.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:12 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

What kind of a friend let's others just look while he's having fun?

Bishop gets a FJ Cruiser RTR!
Old 06-11-2018, 09:19 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

After 4 hours of threadlocking, greasing, screwing, unscrewing and general fixing later, we have a rolling chassis.

Generally, a high quality chassis except for one countersunk screw well that wasn’t drilled properly.

Having said that, I definitely will not recommend someone who is totally new to this hobby, unless you have someone beside you to guide you through the steps, to get this chassis as their first rig. Reason being that there is no instruction manuals. I am by no means an expert but the reason I managed to build this was because I had experience with taking apart and rebuilding Skunkworks so many times. Even then I needed pictures from Asiatees website as reference. I can imagine the confusion, shock and frustration for a total newbie to attempt to build this chassis.

Tie rod of the steering mechanism was installed at the top from the factory. When flexing, the drag link will come in contact with the the tie rod not allowing it to flex further.

Simple switch to the bottom to get it out of the way

Panhard came stock at a ridiculously tall height.

When flexing, the panhard will come in contact with the frame rail.

Switched to a shorter height.

Team Raffee Co. 70mm shocks.

Looks scale, we shall see how they perform.

BoomRacing Phat Axles look boss! Weighs like one too!

Might switch them with the Yota 2s and install these on ‘Project Goatie”.

Let me ask this: Does where BoomRacing come from, all the trucks wheels look like this in reference to the body?

It’s already 2 chassis by Boom Racing that I encounter this issue! Wheels not lining up with the wheel wells!
Dammit Keisha!

By the time I was done fixing this chassis, I was exhausted. A father of two (4 years and 1 year old), I can only start my build when they're settled and asleep.

Painting is next in the agenda.

Till the next post!
Old 06-12-2018, 05:44 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Small and quick update:

After 2 coats of primer, 4 coats of colour, and 2 coats of semi-gloss clear coat, here we are.

Main body, door panels, head light assembly and radiator grill sub-assemblies painted and coated.

The rear of the defender looks sweet with the paint on, don't ya think?

Next up: assembling the doors and 1st layer of weathering with engine grease.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:30 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Let me ask this: Does where BoomRacing come from, all the trucks wheels look like this in reference to the body?

It’s already 2 chassis by Boom Racing that I encounter this issue! Wheels not lining up with the wheel wells!
Dammit Keisha!

By the time I was done fixing this chassis, I was exhausted. A father of two (4 years and 1 year old), I can only start my build when they're settled and asleep.

Painting is next in the agenda.

Till the next post!
Did you accidentally build it for 350mm wheelbase or with wrong link configuration, or is this just some thingy with incorrect body mount placing on the chassis?

Anyways, nice looking truck coming up! How sturdy are those axles, have you used them before?
Joonatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:57 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

I sent an email to Asiatees regarding the wheelbase issue and this is their reply:

“Thank you for your email I can see the issue that you are having, the links that are supplied are made to be used with 100mm shocks if you use shorter shocks you have to shorten the links to correct the wheelbase. there are three options you can user to do this.

Option 1: On the lower link cut off about 4mm from the plastic rod-ends so they are shorter and remove the two spacers on the upper link.

Option 2: On the lower link cut about 8mm off the actual aluminum link and re-thread it with a M3 tap & die set and also remove the two spacers from the upper link. (This is the neatest way to do it but you have to tap new threads in it yourself)

Option 3: is to get the TRC DIY link kit and make your own links to shorten the wheelbase

Thank you for contacting AsiaTees Hobbies!”

As always, Asiatees‘ customer service team is TOP notch. Explains clearly the issue with different possible solutions.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:49 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Honestly I am not surprised by their response, after all, try and get a parts/assembly manual for their chassis and see their response, I did and honestly as an OEM they still have lots to learn.

I doesn't mean their product is bad or inferior, case in point the Team Raffee hard bodies which are built like tanks with unbelievable amount of details, it's just that it can be a real PITA when ever you need spares are maintenance details for any Boom Racing or Team Raffee products.
valheru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:57 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by valheru View Post
Honestly I am not surprised by their response, after all, try and get a parts/assembly manual for their chassis and see their response, I did and honestly as an OEM they still have lots to learn.

I doesn't mean their product is bad or inferior, case in point the Team Raffee hard bodies which are built like tanks with unbelievable amount of details, it's just that it can be a real PITA when ever you need spares are maintenance details for any Boom Racing or Team Raffee products.

I Guess that’s why you pay more for other well known brands

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-13-2018, 07:18 AM   #20

Quote:
I Guess that’s why you pay more for other well known brands
I had issues with my TF2. RC4WD's customer service dismissed it as normal. I didn't get any action until I moved up the chain and contacted somebody higher up at RC4WD by other means. And my TF2 has a lot of quality issues. So don't think that you would have gotten a better product or better service if you had ordered from RC4WD.

I still can't see your photos. Am I alone?

::Gagak Rimang:: MATAYA - Boom Racing + Team Raffee Co. Defender 110 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
::Gagak Rimang:: Scale Garage Gagak Rimang Scale Accessories 13 12-04-2017 12:59 AM
::Gagak Rimang:: SKUNKWORKS Videos Gagak Rimang Scale Videos! 0 04-27-2017 07:17 PM