Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin

Notices

Thread: SVT's Vanquish VS4-10 Extravaganza!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2018, 07:48 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default SVT's Vanquish VS4-10 Extravaganza!

Oh, hi.

I almost didn't see you there on account of being blinded by excitement (that's a phrase, right?)!

Look what showed up at my house.

Look!

Seriously, look!

Now look again.

Now be jealous but not so jealous that you stop reading and start hate posting at me on Instagram: more like one of those little twinges of jealousy that drives you want to be better. Your welcome.

It is VS4-10 day at my house!

Now we will pause for a minute and get something out of the way. Yes, we can all read where it says the truck was made. Any molten lava-level hot takes you have about this can be posted on Facebook where I will continue to not read and/or care about them in any way, shape, or form but some random moron will and that should be good enough for any of you who feel the need to post to such an effect. Got it?

You must be thinking: "SVT, don't you have like 8 trucks you should finish first?" Well, a great man once said "don't wait for tomorrow what you can put off today when there is a new truck to be built." I think that came from me in another one of my threads when I started a new build before finishing another one.

I have a very important distinction of owning the first VS4-10 in NC. Is this true? I have no idea but I will claim it is and facts no longer matter in our world when making public statements so it stands. I also have the responsibility of making occasionally entertaining and informative content for the RC public, just like PBS programming with more tiny trucks. Without further interruption, the following thread is possible with support from viewers like you!

Now what we really have been waiting for: box thoughts and impressions!

It is a solidly constructed box with well printed content labels. However, UPS was not so gentle with my box so it is no longer in mint condition.

Yeah, far from mint. Guess my dream of keeping this in the box forever will not be fufilled. Might as well open it.

Oooooo, chills.

Now this may look like an upside down box in the box but actually the VS4-10 is so awesome it bends reality around the box distorting any sense of perception. Don't know why that hasn't been covered in any of the unboxing videos.

I think this box may be better than the other box.

Unfortunately, I think UPS delivered mine via submarine because the inner box was soaked.

It was so bad both sides literally fell off the box when I picked it up. So thanks UPS for your continued lowering of the bar in the incredibly complicated task of moving an object from one location to another.

Luckily nothing was ruined since Vanquish nicely bagged everything.

I'm sure we have all seen this before but it is even more beautiful in person, like the Grand Canyon or the northern lights.

And a better look at the stars of this show.

Ooooo, so offset-y.

I would like to take this moment to point out a feature of this kit that does not get nearly enough attention.

The Origin body is entirely precut with a freakin laser! All the body lines, all the holes, everything laser cut. Do you realize how much time in my life I could have saved if every kit I bought was like this? Ok, probably not that much but let's not dwell.

Side note, getting a good picture of a clear body is hard.

All the cut outs for the grille are done, you can see the faint burn edge on the lexan from the laser cutting. (Insert Dr. Evil meme)

Inner fenders get the same treatment.

And the interior with separate dash

It's not full depth but looks to be good for a knees-up driver without cutting. I'll have to test my Tamiya Brusier driver for fit.

Vanquish VXT tires.

The feel quite sticky from initial impressions but not as soft as Proline's Predator compound or RC4WD's X2S3, closer to Pitbull's Alien compound.

A quick comparison with the ever popular Hyrax, no foam in either tire.

You can see, the VXTs are a little shorter and narrower. I haven't decided if I like the looks of them for a scale truck but I'll roll with it. Ha, tire puns. Classic.

I have covered what's in the box now you must wait for me to build it. Yeah, I'm sad too but the man does lame things like expecting you to show up and work on Fridays while wearing pants AND shoes. Is it so much to ask to be independently wealthy? I'm not talking crazy money, just like $20 million. And why is the lottery so hard to win? But, you just continue on with your life and meet me back here later for some building.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2018, 08:06 AM   #2
Go Buckeyes!

Default Re: SVT's Vanquish VS4-10 Extravaganza!

Congrats! It is an awesome kit. Looking forward to watching this build.

I just finished mine last night. I like how well all the metal and plastics parts fit together.

Here is a hint: If you plan on using the tires and foams, remove foams from the tires and let them sit overnight. These tires are extremely hard to mount. The bead on the tires is really soft and hard to get locked in. I had to cut my foams into a v-shape into the center ring to mount them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
B-MOW71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:10 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post

I just finished mine last night. I like how well all the metal and plastics parts fit together.

Here is a hint: If you plan on using the tires and foams, remove foams from the tires and let them sit overnight. These tires are extremely hard to mount. The bead on the tires is really soft and hard to get locked in. I had to cut my foams into a v-shape into the center ring to mount them.
Pulling the foams out to let the tires shrink back to their normal size was one of the first things I did. Also I wanted to make sure the foams were dry since the box was the most wet right where the tires were packed.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:17 AM   #4

Looking forward to see what you do with this because you have some good build threads.

Nice packaging on that for sure.

Was the outer box wet or just the inner? It's a long boat ride from Taiwan so I'm not sure only UPS can be blamed. USPS has left packages of mine in the driveway when it was raining.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:06 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Looking forward to see what you do with this because you have some good build threads.

Nice packaging on that for sure.

Was the outer box wet or just the inner? It's a long boat ride from Taiwan so I'm not sure only UPS can be blamed. USPS has left packages of mine in the driveway when it was raining.
The bottom of the outer box felt a little soft but not damp, don't know if that was the moisture from the inner box seeping through or where the water got in from and the outer box had just dried. Either way, UPS takes forever to deliver anything and I don't like them so they get the blame.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
The bottom of the outer box felt a little soft but not damp, don't know if that was the moisture from the inner box seeping through or where the water got in from and the outer box had just dried. Either way, UPS takes forever to deliver anything and I don't like them so they get the blame.
Funny. UPS is the only shipping company I like. USPS randomly throws stuff in my yard or driveway, or better yet, they'll set it on top of my mailbox or hang it in a bag hoping somebody steals it from me. FedEx is attrocious every time I deal with them. Like losing a $400 return shipment for months.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:28 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Nice, sub'ed for the build.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:21 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Yes, between the soft bead and old-style beadlock wheels, I haven't had this much trouble mounting tires since the AX-10 came out!
rohrej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:22 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I am definitely going to follo this thread. I picked mine up yesterday but sold it today to someone who wanted it worse than me. Keep up with lots of photos, I look forward to tagging along!
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:42 AM   #10
RCC Addict

2 beers

After reading the comments thus far, I'll say that while you've clearly established that we are in different tax brackets by building one of these, I still respect you, and I do enjoy an SVT thread.

trying to be funny:
In this video you'll see SVT's VS4 somewhere in there, (this has not been verified by a credible source) which would explain the excessive moisture from... ... pause.... machining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tozlIKE1U38

I read somewhere that, while the body panels were laser cut, they had to cut the foams on watah jet to avoid burning them, additionally explaining excessive moisture in the foamal region of the box.

Okay enough joking... luckily I don't bacefook

In all seriousness, I agree with Jato and add that I think fedex sucks, I've never had a bad shipping experience with UPS, dating back to the early 90's, whereas every fedex shipment has been nightmarish. YMMV

looking forward to your take on this cool rig.

Last edited by rockhugger; 07-21-2018 at 10:34 AM.
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:01 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Since we're all over the place already, here's a quick little story. I was grilling lunch for the kids last year when the UPS guy showed up...he walked up and mentioned that something smelled good. After a quick chat and parcel acceptance, I laid 2 OS special grill dogs on him wrapped up to go with a side of Coke. Every single package after that has been neatly placed on my porch, right next to to the door. Sometimes, a bribe works wonders.

Now back to the build...
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:11 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Your claim to the first Origin possessor in NC is safe by me as I have not yet acquired one.

Looking forward to this build thread progressing, seasoned by your usual sardonic but nonetheless entertaining dialogue, even if you do occasionally rate the facepalm emoticon we sadly do not have access to here.

To make shipping conditions even worse, FedEx and UPS will soon merge. They're going to name the new consolidated company FedUp. I'll take USPS every day...if it even looks like rain they put my packages in plastic bags, and my mail lady is so accustomed to my penchant for packages if one comes in after she's made her run for the day she'll drop it by the house on her way home. That's what I'M talkin' about!

Bring on the building goodness!!
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 12:05 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mtech View Post
Your claim to the first Origin possessor in NC is safe by me as I have not yet acquired one.

Looking forward to this build thread progressing, seasoned by your usual sardonic but nonetheless entertaining dialogue, even if you do occasionally rate the facepalm emoticon we sadly do not have access to here.

To make shipping conditions even worse, FedEx and UPS will soon merge. They're going to name the new consolidated company FedUp. I'll take USPS every day...if it even looks like rain they put my packages in plastic bags, and my mail lady is so accustomed to my penchant for packages if one comes in after she's made her run for the day she'll drop it by the house on her way home. That's what I'M talkin' about!

Bring on the building goodness!!
When ordering from the US to UK, FedEx seem to be excellent. UPS US and EU aren't the same company so tracking doesn't work. USPS are perhaps the most incompetent organisation I've ever encountered. Calling them glacial does a disservice to glaciers, DHL hold your package hostage then lose it. I always take FedEx if the option is available.
mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 11:07 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mond View Post
When ordering from the US to UK, FedEx seem to be excellent. UPS US and EU aren't the same company so tracking doesn't work. USPS are perhaps the most incompetent organisation I've ever encountered. Calling them glacial does a disservice to glaciers, DHL hold your package hostage then lose it. I always take FedEx if the option is available.
There's a massive hangar at Heathrow where DHL keeps all the "lost" packages. They have a secret auction once a year!

SVT: Have you made a color choice yet?
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 11:24 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Well mine is also coming in the big brown truck. Hope it was on a different boat.

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 06:45 AM   #16
RCC Addict

You should’ve gotten integy scaler made of Swiss cheese and put a 1/5 scale motor in it on 18 cell Nimh. It would beat that in any race! (Sorry had to put a Facebookish comment)

But seriously, nice job getting a vs4-10. I’ll be watching your build thread for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
c0bra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 06:53 AM   #17

Quote:
There's a massive hangar at Heathrow where DHL keeps all the "lost" packages. They have a secret auction once a year!

Ohhh conspiracy theory! If the packages are in a warehouse are they really lost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Well mine is also coming in the big brown truck. Hope it was on a different boat.

Hang up and Drive
And hope it's not raining in Florida on the day it's delivered. But that's like hoping you win the lottery, right?
Old 07-23-2018, 07:00 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Ohhh conspiracy theory! If the packages are in a warehouse are they really lost?

And hope it's not raining in Florida on the day it's delivered. But that's like hoping you win the lottery, right?

It’s always raining here in the summer. That said it’s been hit or miss last week, should be monsoons this week!

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 08:28 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
My aim is somewhere between the see no evil monkey and the avocado emojis so I would call that right on target.

Quote:
Yes but it largely depends on my ability to mix something up that matches my vision. We'll see how that goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhugger View Post
After reading the comments thus far, I'll say that while you've clearly established that we are in different tax brackets by building one of these, I still respect you, and I do enjoy an SVT thread.
Clearly, all of California's tax brackets suck.
(Coming from someone who used to spend 60-70 hours a week preparing tax returns at a CPA firm, that is a technical analysis.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Or at least on top of my box during the trip.

Can we all agree that the best shipping company is a highly regional matter?

Alright, building time.

First a peek behind the curtain of this thread: I actually started building this Thursday night but forgot to upload those pictures until last night. This thread could have been much further along last week. Story of most of my builds and pretty much everything else in my life.

So let's start digging in and see where we get.

Front axle.

You'll have to dig out that 1/16 wrench you haven't used since that Associated RC10B3 you build around 2001 for some of the screws. Mildly annoying but nothing we can't handle.

One of the greatest yet under-celebrated features of the VS410 is the diff gears and lockers.

6 bolts. Anyone who has sheared the screws on the SCXII 3 bolt setup will understand the greatness of this.

All bolted up and extremely unlikely to fail.

Loaded up into the bearing retainers and bolted in place. The front required a little more effort to press into place than the rear but not significant force.

I'm that guy (not to be confused with the other Imthatguy) that uses Vanquish grease on a Vanquish truck because:

1) Much field testing on typical automotive bearing greases has shown it does not stay on the gears very well and does not maintain the necessary lubrication, wear reduction, and corrosion protection leading me to search out other options.
2) I'm a pretentious douche fanboi

Polls are now open.

Fun fact: don't mix these 2 up when building.

Here is where your 1/16 driver comes into play, all the diff cover bolts are 1-64 SAE screws.

Offset universals to accompany the offset housing.

Some other things happened and we arrive here.

One item of note, Vanquish includes 5mm shims to go the outside of the pinion shaft. My front axle required 2 shims and the rear required 1. Just a friendly reminder that gear shimming will vary from build to build.

The next step is chassis assembly and through the magic of the internet:

No one wanted a brace by brace series of photos, right? If you did, you should have spoke up earlier.

I'm sure you are dying to know that the plastic feels very high quality, very reminiscent of the plastic Vaterra uses on the Ascender. It has a noticeable stiffness and provides a reassuring snugness when tightening the screws into it.

I have been replacing the stock hardware with stainless as I go. The stock hardware uses a lot of cap head screws but I have been using button heads in an attempt to make the truck easy to tear down with one wrench. The panhard mount was one place where button heads wouldn't fit so it got cap heads. Also, a Holmes servo has been installed for steering duties. Gotta roll with the good stuff for this build.

We have reached the point where we have to cut our first parts from a parts tree.

I'm sure some people like parts trees (Tamiya nostalgia or whatever) but in my world, the less parts trees, the better.

Tranny time.

Get all your Bruce Jenner and Rocky Horror jokes out now.

You remember these from the nicely present foam tray from the unboxing portion of this thread.

The new motor plate is the real star here. Nice, thick 4 bolt style plate with integrated, threaded spacers. Your transmission screws are now held by about 6mm of thread versus about 1mm on a AX10 style transmission. Little things make life so much easier.

Incision gears. Nothing we haven't seen before but I did take the time to replace the kit screws holding the outputs to the bottom gear with some grade 12.9 screws for extra piece of mind.

The 54T spur is a genuine Kimbrough, good stuff from people who know gears.

Yes, I skipped a bunch of stuff. If you have built a 3 gear transmission in your life then you know the deal.

The gear cover just helps keep wires out of the spur which is all I need my gear cover to do. A 13T pinion is included but I went with a RRP 11T pinion to get the gear ratio where I wanted it.

Holmes Puller Pro stubby in 2700kv flavor for power. I would say you have to spring for the good stuff on a build like this but I had this one laying around in the spare motor assortment. Yes, I am some sort of RC electronics degenerate.

All in all, I don't foresee issues with this setup.

Stainless links, a lot like the Incision SCXII set but with less bend on the steering tie rod.

The very discerning eye of an insane person would notice the rod ends are not Traxxas. Vanquish made their own rod ends for this truck.

You can see, they are a lot like Revo ends but a little thicker.

Vanquish, Traxxas, and SSD M4 ends left to right.

Now you can make informed rod end decisions for your next build based on an internet picture, at least that's what I do 95% of the time.

Incision shocks.

They are nice shocks from what I can tell so far. They come preassembled so all you have to do is add oil but weirdos like me disassemble them to green slime the seals anyway. Shock pliers are your friend here because those caps are on tight. A quick fill with some 45wt Losi oil and a relatively easy bleeding process and they are ready to go.

A quick introduction.

Axles, chassis.

Chassis, axles.

New best friends.

You can see the slider mounts here because they also hold the upper links.

The sliders bolt on to the mounts and delrin skids bolt to the bottom of the mounts. Makes a nice smooth setup.

Among the build steps I glossed over, a Vanquish 20mm servo horn was installed because:

1) It has a strong clamping design that doesn't add unnecessary bulk around the spline of the servo and has adequate thickness so the steering linkage can be secured without the need for additional locknuts while maintaining unhindered steering throw and proper geometry.
2) I'm a pretentious douche fanboi

Polls are again open.

Much ground has been covered thus far but progress has been halted by my lack of black paint for the inner fenders. I'll actually have to venture out to my LHS for one of the few items that I can reliably pick up locally. Until then, feel free to speculate on my body color choice, wheel choice, and the other accessories I have whipped up.

I look forward to all of your replies calling me a pretentious douche.

Last edited by svt923; 07-23-2018 at 10:14 AM.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:37 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Very nice build so far!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crawler505 is offline   Reply With Quote

SVT's Vanquish VS4-10 Extravaganza! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vanquish VS4-10 Origin Limited Build/Thoughts Issues rohrej Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin 131 03-26-2021 08:09 AM
IN STOCK NOW!! Vanquish Products VS4-10. RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 07-12-2018 06:02 PM
Vanquish VS4-10 scale crawler Teng Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin 5 05-28-2018 06:15 AM
🌑PRE ORDER Vanquish Products VS4-10! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 2 05-27-2018 03:39 PM