Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Johnny's Big Little Guy builds a Barrage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2018, 06:23 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Johnny's Big Little Guy builds a Barrage

My older son is the age I was when I built my first RC. It was a Tamiya Falcon and it kicked it's dog bones like nobody's business. Anyway...

With some experience helping me build a Bomber (and to a lesser extent, a Yeti) under his belt, Big Little Guy was itching for a kit of his own. We were at our LHS* and the Barrage caught his eye. After a quick call to the wife for approval (who, bless her heart, realized she was also signing up for a kit for Little Little Guy (who was dying for an on road car)) we walked out with the kit and a couple of cans of Tamiya spray paint.

Given how long the Bomber took to build with Big Little Guy's on-again-off-again approach, I expected the kit to keep him occupied for a while. After all, he was building this one on his own. I wasn't going to be "reminding" him to work on it.

I think I underestimated the draw of having his own RC car. This was the state shortly after we got home...

ECX Barrage Build by johnny anguish, on Flickr

*RC Excitement in Fitchburg, MA. Place rules. The shop even runs a build camp where they assemble the Barrage with the kids.
JohnnyAnguish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2018, 09:59 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Johnny's Big Little Guy builds a Barrage

I'm going to watch this build.
hillbillyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:50 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyrc View Post
I'm going to watch this build.
There won't be a whole lot to watch, because I woke up the next morning to find the kid had already finished up the kit!

We spent the day painting the body. I helped him mask it up and put on the decals. We took turns spraying coats of paint. I gave him a left over jerry can I had from my Scrap Dingo build, some stickers from my CFX Bronco build and some Axial plastic D-Rings I had laying around.

He's got a few more ideas for detailing, but at this point he couldn't wait any longer to get it dirty. I was amazed he paused long enough to let me take these pictures.

Last edited by JohnnyAnguish; 08-14-2018 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Forgot the D Rings
Old 08-15-2018, 05:46 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

That’s awesome! My 9yo daughter helped me build her own tamiya Grasshopper a while back but in another year i’ll Get her to do the same. How old is your young fella?
alexleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 01:19 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexleblanc View Post
That’s awesome! My 9yo daughter helped me build her own tamiya Grasshopper a while back but in another year i’ll Get her to do the same. How old is your young fella?
He's 12. Some of the hardware in the Barrage kit is really tiny. That's the only thing that ever really gave him trouble on this build. It can be tricky getting some of those little screw started into hard plastic. He helped me build my Bomber last year. The hardware is a better size on that, but it's a more complicated build.

My younger guy is 9. He's obsessed with super cars. We just built a Tamiya TT-02 Acura NSX together that is now "his" car. It won't be long until he's capable of tackling a kit all on his own. That's gonna be a bittersweet moment, 'cause I had a lot of fun building it with him.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:30 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

A couple of shots from the tiny truck's first trip out in the yard. This might have been the only two moments the truck wasn't moving...

Old 08-17-2018, 10:22 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Here are a few pics I managed to sneak during the Barrage's first couple of trail runs. So far so good. The kid digs it!

ECX Barrage by johnny anguish, on Flickr

Old 08-18-2018, 08:42 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I LOVE THIS!!!
I have been an advocate for the barrage being the perfect kids first truck since day 1. My 10 year old son got one for his 9th birthday (he just turned 10 last week) and his learning curve was incredible.
His only rc experience before that was the $20 Wal-Mart newbrights. When he learned to slow down and watch the truck articulate and pick good lines... The kid is a natural! And tje barrage is perfect for a beginner with its large tires and light overall weight. Even the powertrain is perfect. Not fast at all but just enough to teach throttle control.
He staryed off with throttle trim all the way down but now he can regulate his trigger finger as well as any adult on the trail.

Lots of proud moments ahead for you, Mr Anguish!
Putting together his own kit is a big step! And your little(er) guy has good taste in the tt02 ;)
I handed down my tt01 drifter to my son last year and he loves that too.

My sons twin sister who is on the autistic spectrum has tried her brothers older trucks and did great too. Big smiles as the truck bounced around on the nearly flat dirt lol so now that Andrew has a CODYBOY donated rig, I consider the barrage Tina's rig. And when my little Tyler due in October is old enough, the barrage will be his first rig too.

I really do love this rig as a beginner truck. And it seems I am not the only one!

GET OUT THERE AND BRING THE KIDS!!!!!

*Also mr anguish maybe post pics somewhere of that tt02?

**couldn't resist posting this pic my my sons rig next to mine at proline by the fire 2018 scale town

Last edited by Shinchu; 08-18-2018 at 08:51 AM.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 02:36 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

It's great how he woke up super early the next day and didn't need your help to finish it! Looks awesome!!
Xrayray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 01:33 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
I LOVE THIS!!

I really do love this rig as a beginner truck. And it seems I am not the only one!

Thanks! It's pretty great for a first time builder. Aside from the tiny screws it's about as simple as they come.

I have a few pics of the TT-02 being built. Maybe I'll throw them in the non-crawler section at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrayray View Post
It's great how he woke up super early the next day and didn't need your help to finish it! Looks awesome!!
In fairness, the kid us up before the sun every day. Still pretty great that he went straight to the truck instead of Netflix or video games.
Old 08-19-2018, 03:10 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Yeah mine is the same. In his defense he cant crawl his ascender right now because of a transfer case problem and its in the middle of a blazer body build. Oh and its been stupid hot in San Diego.

Yeah post that tt02 up! We love tamiya on road stuff on the non crawler section!
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:48 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

License plate making time!

Old 08-23-2018, 12:16 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Yeah post that tt02 up! We love tamiya on road stuff on the non crawler section!
Nothing fancy, but here ya go: Johnny and his Little Little Guy build a Tamiya TT-02 NSX
Old 08-24-2018, 12:35 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

ECX Barrage as mud truck?

I took Big Little Guy over to RC Excitement to play on their crawler course. We've had lots of rain, so there was goopy mud everywhere.

Then Big Little Guy noticed the mud pit they set up for their Tough Truck event coming up this weekend...

I gotta say the little blue truck did much better than I imagined it would. Surprisingly, it never got stuck. It bogged down pretty good at the deepest, dirtiest spots, but it pulled through. I'm impressed.

We gave it a good hose down when we got home. I've been squeezing brown water out of the tires ever since.

Axial SCX-10 Jeep Wrangler G6 and ECX Barrage by johnny anguish, on Flickr
Old 01-04-2019, 01:06 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

While the little Barrage held its own on the trails, a bashing session with a couple of 12 year-olds in tall, wet grass was too much for it to handle. A quick tear down showed a gear failure.

ECX only sells the complete gearbox, so I picked up a set of the FTX gears from across the pond.

Old 01-04-2019, 03:41 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
I LOVE THIS!!!
I have been an advocate for the barrage being the perfect kids first truck since day 1. My 10 year old son got one for his 9th birthday (he just turned 10 last week) and his learning curve was incredible.
His only rc experience before that was the $20 Wal-Mart newbrights. When he learned to slow down and watch the truck articulate and pick good lines... The kid is a natural! And tje barrage is perfect for a beginner with its large tires and light overall weight. Even the powertrain is perfect. Not fast at all but just enough to teach throttle control.
He staryed off with throttle trim all the way down but now he can regulate his trigger finger as well as any adult on the trail.

Lots of proud moments ahead for you, Mr Anguish!
Putting together his own kit is a big step! And your little(er) guy has good taste in the tt02 ;)
I handed down my tt01 drifter to my son last year and he loves that too.

My sons twin sister who is on the autistic spectrum has tried her brothers older trucks and did great too. Big smiles as the truck bounced around on the nearly flat dirt lol so now that Andrew has a CODYBOY donated rig, I consider the barrage Tina's rig. And when my little Tyler due in October is old enough, the barrage will be his first rig too.

GET OUT THERE AND BRING THE KIDS!!!!!

**couldn't resist posting this pic my my sons rig next to mine at proline by the fire 2018 scale town
Wat ford body is that?

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 03:56 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Always great to see young kids get into such a great hobby! Keeps them out of trouble, out in the fresh air, alot of fun hands on

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 08:13 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

With the transmission back in action we had the Barrage out on the trails. I got to drive it a bit more this time. It's a fun truck! It does, however, desperately need a better steering servo. We'll install that when we add some of the accessories Big Little Guy got for Christmas.

Old 02-01-2019, 09:57 AM   #19

Thats awesome. I got my 7yro a 1st Gen Barrage for X-mas since they were on sale here. I wish I would have gotten the kit now. He is a lego nut and would of loved building it as well.

For my youngest it will be a kit.
Gator-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:59 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Time for a few quick upgrades! I picked up this Gear Head recovery rope in one of his favorite colors for him as a Christmas present. We finally got around to getting it on the rig.

Another Christmas pick up was the Gear Head Six Shooter light bar. This one is blue on the outside and white in the middle because I knew that's what Big Little One would like. I let him pick where to mount it. Roof it is!

Lastly, after getting a chance to drive the tiny truck for a bit I knew the servo had to go. I figured we'd do a cheap servo upgrade while we were doing the rest of the work.

Johnny's Big Little Guy builds a Barrage - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Johnny's TFL Bronco Johnnysplits 1.9 Scale Rigs 49 02-25-2019 10:52 AM
*GIVEAWAY* Krazed Builds 10mm Big Bore Piston Tuner Set Robbob Chit Chat 86 12-02-2017 12:27 PM
C.I. builds Big Jeff's Alumi-Fighter Comp Crawler Nova's Ark EnRoute Berg 34 12-17-2016 09:17 AM
Big thanks from a little guy. boosted4lyf AZ Summer Shootout by NARCCA 11 06-09-2013 10:46 PM
LowslowTJ builds a Jeep out of a Honcho for big Bronco! lowslowTJ 1.9 Scale Rigs 79 03-02-2010 12:27 PM