Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Ruining a perfectly good Cross Demon SG4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2018, 09:05 AM   #61
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Ruining a perfectly good Cross Demon SG4

Fake dirt i love it kinda reminds me of the mall.crawlers that have dirt on there fenders but the under side of there rig is spotless and the tires are shiny and clean i always woundered how they did that lol good job ruining your rig it looks awsome
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2018, 08:33 PM   #62
Rock Crawler

Tiny update.

I'm not a fan of getting flat spots on tires, but I'm even less of a fan of spending money on fancy stands to prevent them. Whats a guy with a bunch of leftover wooden bed supplies to do?

If you use your imagination, the tiny drunk lumberjack owner of this truck might have actually made something like these to do repairs and whatnot. Or maybe I'm the drunk one and he would just use a jack like a normal person, but anyway, these cost zero dollars and the tires will stay round now.

TooOldForThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 07:02 PM   #63
Quarry Creeper

Awesome build thread!
mhowzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 11:42 AM   #64

professional
hangar9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 05:50 PM   #65
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhowzit View Post
Awesome build thread!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hangar9 View Post
professional
Thanks guys

A little something for fellow SG4 owners out there; the internet says our 4 link mounts on the skid plate bend easily.

I believe everything the internet says so naturally I became convinced it was a problem I had to solve, especially considering the HARD shelf queen use this rig has seen

Cross has a bolt-on solution but at a cost greater than $free.99, it's too rich for my blood.

These aluminum braces for the stock Demon roll bar were kicking around my spare parts bin and proved to be just what the doctor ordered once they were cut down to the right size. (You need just over 2", if you're wondering)

I did have to get an M3 tap to put threads in the cut-off ends, but that's all there was to it. Gotta love making things happen with crap you have lying around.

Old 01-03-2019, 06:24 PM   #66
I wanna be Dave

Looks like an easy fix but more to drag in the end. What’s those bearings supposed to be used for?
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:06 PM   #67
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
Looks like an easy fix but more to drag in the end. What’s those bearings supposed to be used for?
I would imagine there for the rod end balls to move freely against the tube cross brace?
scalemadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 09:34 PM   #68
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalemadness View Post
I would imagine there for the rod end balls to move freely against the tube cross brace?

I was thinking that at first but the bearing is bigger than the standoff. It’ll be more of a roller.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 04:29 AM   #69
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
It’ll be more of a roller.
That was my take on it as well. If getting hung up on things became a problem I'd sooner fab up a skid plate for that area. I seem to remember seeing someone else do the same and it looked pretty good.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:11 PM   #70

Damn awesome build....
great job.
Pduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:44 AM   #71

Man, I read your whole build and you did a great job!!! and I'm sure you had fun as well, cause thats what modeling is all about. What part of Florida are you in?. I'm in Winter Garden. WE should get our Demons together, sometime. I built an SG4C a month ago and she was beautiful! I didn't do the weather you did but took her to one Parkerfest Recon G6 challenge and this is what she looks like now

email me
mmflytie@att.net
Marc Morgan
Attached Images

Last edited by mmflytie; 03-26-2019 at 10:12 AM. Reason: image did not show up
mmflytie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 07:04 AM   #72
Rock Crawler

You mean you got yours dirty by driving through actual dirt instead of painting it on like a psycho?
Glad to see some people are out using their Demons as intended. Mine sees some indoor obstacles but I enjoy the fake patina so much I've avoiding driving it outside for fear of it collecting real patina. Yeah, this one turned out pretty weird that way.
Old 04-02-2019, 05:05 PM   #73

LOL. Yeah and it was a blast but I thought I burnt the motor up( it was smoking and smelled terrible. So I ordered a new Tekin heavy duty 35T motor. Cleaned it up and took it out for a test run. Got it on a pile of gravel and was really working it to get up the hill when all of a sudden, the front tire locked up ( while the other were turning and I saw smoke !. Bad smell. Geez, I hope I didn't fry this motor.
Now I have too figure out what is wrong. Just a gentle level crawl and all wheels move ok, under a load is when I have issues. Any ideas?

Marc
Old 04-03-2019, 10:02 AM   #74
Rock Crawler

I would take a close look at the front CV axles to see if anything is broken or binding, especially while steering. From what I've read, they seem to be a weak point.

Last edited by TooOldForThis; 04-03-2019 at 10:04 AM.
Old 04-07-2019, 07:03 PM   #75

Well, after taking the diff covers off and examining the gearing, I found this . 3 teeth missing from pinion gear and they were whole fragments so I'm sure the slippage was from the missing teeth with the occasional "lockup" form them them getting jammed in the crown gear. Got replacements coming. I guess, I'm too hard on my truck. Gonna have to find less aggressive rock crawling course.
You ever been to bell view Flea market course?
Attached Images

Old 04-07-2019, 07:07 PM   #76

Is there any crawler kit that you know of that actually makes rubber boots to cover the cv joints? that would be so cool and beneficial I think.
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2019, 11:41 AM   #77
RCC Addict

I'm not saying these ones will fit, but there are lots of sizes of rubber dust boots out there, commonly seen on Traxxas cv axles, buggies, touring cars, 5th scale (obviously too big!) etc. https://hot-racing.com/?partnumber=SLD10R;c=1082
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 11:54 AM   #78

Ok, I got a new Tekin motor in my Demon with a Castle sidewinder 3 ESC and external.BEC.
Crown and pinion gear replaced. Went out the other day and was running about 30 minutes, going up a steep hill, soft dir, so it was struggling a bit, next thing I know , its stopped running, no response from throttle and it was smoking AGAIN( with a brand new heavy duty 35T Tekin. I'm running a 3S lipo.)
I also have about 2.5 oz. of weight in each front tire. Can someone please tell me if A), I'm using the wrong battery,B) too much weight in tire, or C) just haveing back luck with motors/ ESCs. I have a cheap motor( 55T) in my axial jeep that I run just as hard and it has never smoked!! I must be doing something wrong or have wrong combo of power components. Any advice would be appreciated...cannt keep burning motor each outing

Thanks for any help.

Marc
mmflytie@att.net

Last edited by mmflytie; 04-22-2019 at 11:57 AM. Reason: mispelling
Old 04-25-2019, 05:31 AM   #79
I wanna be Dave

Just read through this whole build, man this thing is a hunk of shit...
It's awesome !!!!
Great job on the weathering tactics, makes me want to try it out.
crunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 10:16 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmflytie View Post
Ok, I got a new Tekin motor in my Demon with a Castle sidewinder 3 ESC and external.BEC.
Crown and pinion gear replaced. Went out the other day and was running about 30 minutes, going up a steep hill, soft dir, so it was struggling a bit, next thing I know , its stopped running, no response from throttle and it was smoking AGAIN( with a brand new heavy duty 35T Tekin. I'm running a 3S lipo.)
I also have about 2.5 oz. of weight in each front tire. Can someone please tell me if A), I'm using the wrong battery,B) too much weight in tire, or C) just haveing back luck with motors/ ESCs. I have a cheap motor( 55T) in my axial jeep that I run just as hard and it has never smoked!! I must be doing something wrong or have wrong combo of power components. Any advice would be appreciated...cannt keep burning motor each outing

Thanks for any help.

Marc
mmflytie@att.net
Yea its the 3s batt. I kept smoking motors on 3s until i found a 12v motor. The only 12v 540 motor i could find was a banebot motor. The shaft came round so i had to take a grinder to it but it never smoked and cost around 10$. Easy win! Most 540 motors are for 2s lipo or nimh esc's, after motor no2 it clicked and i started looking for a 12v motor! Love the build, picking up my sg4c tmrw!! Cant wait!
Detroitjohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruining a perfectly good Cross Demon SG4 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NOW IN STOCK! NEW Cross-Rc Accessories For Demon SG4 Cab! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 07-06-2018 02:19 PM
Cross rc demon neilsontf238 Videos! 0 04-05-2018 02:35 PM
Cross rc demon neilsontf238 Videos! 0 03-07-2018 12:11 PM
Cross-rc sg4 demon & rc4wd d90 neilsontf238 Videos! 0 02-26-2018 05:21 PM
Cross-rc sg4 demon neilsontf238 Videos! 0 02-11-2018 02:31 PM