Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: A Tale of... SCX based Chevy and the Rebuild

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2018, 11:21 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default A Tale of... SCX based Chevy and the Rebuild

In 2015 I entered the RC4WD ECSC and didn't have a scale truck. On top of that, this was to be the first event I ever participated in. I had always wanted to build a scaler and entering the event was the push to get a project going.

I acquired an SCX frame from a friend and picked a New Bright Chevy body and some axles off of the RCC For-sale section.

Looking through some other threads at the time that used this body, I saw an awesome Pre-runner build and loved the front bumper he built for it. I though I would try something similar. (I was going to link to it but Photo Bucket has completely destroyed that thread )

I built my own light and servo winch controller, added and interior and cage, some paint and set out for the event......

Over the next 3 years and other events in our area I found and corrected a lot of weak points. Better winch, Some cage failures and other minor things. I have been slowly upgrading it as time went on, changing over to TKO axles and some motor upgrades.

The truck is starting to show some age....

Fast forward to today.......

Once again I'm registered for the '18 ECSC and with new axles on the market, thanks to the SCX10II release, it's time for a complete rebuild.

I high centered on the tree obstacle last year and had to winch the entire length because of the large pumpkin for the SCX TKO diamond axles and small diameter tires. This killed my time for that course. I had planned to switch over to an SCX10II style but lack of parts and aftermarket options left me having to run the old style. I was waiting for a diamond option and SSD delivered.

Since getting a 3D printer for Christmas and purchasing a CNC mill a few years ago I decided to make and incorporate as many of my own parts as possible. I started with a model of where I'm headed.....

To relocate the motor forward and 3D print an LS I either had to buy a scale transmission or modify the stock transmission. I didn't feel given the sweeping exaggerated SCX chassis, that a scale tranny would work or look right so I relocated the stock transmission with new mounts and brackets.

All of this is now printed in ABS but I started prototyping in red PLA.

I swapped the input shaft to the other side of the transmission, mirriored the motor plate in CAD and cut a new mounting plate. Setting mesh is tedious but not impossible. Trial and error until it's just right.

The new location will push my center of gravity higher. I may change over to a plastic slipper to reduce this. I'm planning putting the batteries under the drivers seats to counteract this. Thats all TBD for now.

Next step was to make my own tCase. I purchased the SSD hardened gearset for the SCXII and modeled around these. The layout is to minimize the angles for all of the input and output shafts. I also wanted to reuse my MIPs. I found an RC4WD punisher shaft in a 65mm length and was able to make it all work.

Tying it all together...

I have a few other additions I'll post a bit later as I move forward. I touched on the shock buckets so I have room for headers and started modding the hood on my body.
drzoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2018, 11:42 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: A Tale of... SCX based Chevy and the Rebuild

Wow! Great rebuild! Very well thought out.
Rickleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 09:44 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I'm planning on printing inner fenders and thinking about the look of the ugly stock shock hoops, I decided to make them out of aluminum. Should add some points while looking a little nicer.

After drawing them up and cutting the blanks, I made some dies out of HDPE to bend the radius of the hoop.

I brazed them together with Alumaweld. I may make another set and have them properly welded. I havent had much issue with AL brazing.

Working on the Engine bay and inner fenders now.....
Old 03-21-2018, 10:20 PM   #4

Incredible fabrication skills. Looks amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
12earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 05:08 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

The rados evolution is coming along great drzoo2! Can't wait to start crawling soon!
Z0MB13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 05:25 PM   #6

Great build! Can't wait to see more.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 07:23 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I printed one inner fender last night while sleeping. I'll never do that again..... I dreamed of a filament disaster when I got up..... Could have been worse...

I'm really pleased with the turnout. I have one place that doesn't fit to my liking. I'm considering this a prototype to fit the areas that I missed.. headlights and such. The big issue was not making it quite wide enough. There's a gap in the rear of the front tire that will be fixed with rev2.

Old 03-22-2018, 10:29 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Those shock hoops are amazing. Very very well done!
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 07:41 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Very very nice work! Love what cane he done with 3D printing. I wish I was good with computers and had the patience for them because I’d love to design and print things. Great idea on the die!

Ben
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:18 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

i'm 100% not a chevy guy but this has to be one of the best looking though out builds on here! wow!!
alexleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 09:40 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Wow........
doubler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 10:42 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Wow, dig the fab skills.
justinart24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:48 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for all the comments. I'm shooting to finish the engine bay by end of next week so I can move on to updating the interior. I think I'm going to keep what I've done already but just add some detail to it. The floor will need to be redone to allow for the drive shaft. The battery used to be located under the dash where the transmission is now so that has to move...

Speaking of which....
I need to start thinking about battery and electronics locations. I also have a servo winch that will need to be relocated to the rear.

All this plus body work and new paint. Should be a lot to keep the thread updated.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-2018, 07:55 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

It's taken me a while to get both inner fenders and fire wall drawn and printed. Everything has a radius and it's been a pain to get a good accurate measurement. Lots of eyeballing and test pieces.

I'm going to have to wait till l get the body set before I print the radiator and support. It depends on body location to make it fit and look correct.. also have all the other accessories to add.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Last edited by drzoo2; 03-31-2018 at 08:55 AM.
Old 03-31-2018, 08:50 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Looking freak'n awesome man!
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 12:54 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I've been working on some of the small parts and started painting.

The top layer of the valance didn't bridge right due to a slicer error so I'm reprinting this now. This one also had some hood fitment issues but other than that, the smalls are about done.

The firewall and inner fenders will match the paint so it's time to purchase the exterior color. My plan is to re-paint the truck and I've been stuck on dark cherry since the beginning. I found a Gunmetal color and tried a test spray on some printer waste. The coolant overflow and brake booster are sitting on my test piece. I still think the Cherry will pop better, specially with the contrasting colors under the hood.

Old 04-16-2018, 11:34 AM   #17

That is nice!
Dragaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:23 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I think I can finally move to the interior and start sanding the body and prepping for paint. I finished the engine bay though I may add a few more wire details as I move along with this rebuild.

A shot with the hood opening. I need to clean up a bit. I printed some hinges that mount to the windows insert and also allow the hood to slide forward using some square styrene I had. Engine bay color gives a hint at the final exterior color.

Old 05-05-2018, 10:34 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I've spent the last few weeks working on the interior. I scrapped most of what I had previously and kept just the dash from the original build. The cage is attached to the frame and like the original, I designed the interior to be modular and able to be removed in pieces.

The dash was built to be a cover for the battery and I kept the same idea. I need a place to hide the winch and light controller so I made boxes where the dash sits for later to use for electronics.

Keeping with the modular design, the seats are two pieces which will allow it to be removed to pull the floor out of the cage. I also made a center console to hide the trasfercase bump in the floor.

Pulling it all together
Old 05-14-2018, 08:24 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

These sliders, battery box have proven to be one of the most difficult and time consuming, parts thus far. I've spent the last few weeks trying to get measurements right by trial and error. One side will hide the ESC and BEC. The other side will hold my Helios Lipo.

I'm using the cage to help mount the slider covers. They are solid and I don't think I'll have any issue with force on the bottom.

The battery side proved to be a nightmare. Between fitment issues and 2 failed 8-hour prints due to warping, I spent the majority of my time working on the battery box. Uses a slot and a screw to hold it closed.

With all the time waiting for the print, I started stripping the paint on my body. Before starting electronics, I need to finalize my body mounts. Since incorporating the battery into the slider, I'm planning on screws to hold the body with magnets for the hood.

A Tale of... SCX based Chevy and the Rebuild - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'72 Chevy-my c2 rebuild Meatwad 1.9 Scale Rigs 11 08-20-2013 09:30 AM
Hoping to rebuild my clod based hustler soon laxjj14 Tamiya Clod Buster 1 03-14-2012 08:42 PM