RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   1.9 Scale Rigs (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/1-9-scale-rigs/)
-   -   TF2 1946 Power Wagon (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/1-9-scale-rigs/601706-tf2-1946-power-wagon.html)

58_Willys 08-25-2018 08:13 AM

TF2 1946 Power Wagon

4 Attachment(s)
Just a little "quicky" I've been fiddling with, every now and then. Had the Boom Racing chassis for the Blazer originally, but I preferred the TF2 more for that one. Nice features of BR chassis, it comes with the pieces to lower the shock mounts and the Rx box, so they're flush with the frame. Hmmm...nice place to put a dropped bed. It comes with the shallow aluminum mount for the transfer case too. I've tried the delrin shallow mount and it sucks for a good fit on the Xfer case. Also going to add a styrene grill and interior.
I used RC4WD K44's and REC hub nuts. The wheels are chinese and tires are Proline TSL's that I had to use the blue inner rings for. They are perfectly aligned under the wheel wells. Shocks are 80mm front and 70mm rear which keeps the chassis level and allows for a little more travel up front.

Now for the pics.

Inspiration...
http://realmansman.com/wp-content-so...ower-Wagon.jpg

Not the color I'm doing, but it sure is purty.

Progress so far...

TrailDawg362 08-25-2018 11:17 AM

Re: TF2 1946 Power Wagon

1 Attachment(s)
Drop this trans in and never look back. Bonus, 11% overdrive.

58_Willys 08-26-2018 09:56 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by TrailDawg362 (Post 5863738)

Thanks TraiDawg. I have one of those from GCM, in my Blazer build. Very scale, especially with my V8 attached to it. I ended up "borrowing" the R3 trans from my Sun Raider for now. That way, I can fit the interior around it. "thumbsup"

I got some more done yesterday...

I created a grill based on an idea I saw, that represents a good old style.

I also made up a set of sliders/mounting plates on the frame. I ended up modifying it a few times before I got the ride height the way I wanted it. I used some steel box bands, from Lowes, to make some brackets that would lower them. As a bonus, these brackets span the frame and will give me extra mounting options for an interior later on.

The bed turned out ok, I guess. It still needs a few things so it can be secured to the lexan. I can't decide if I want to paint the wood slats or stain/poly them. Time will tell.

Highmark 08-29-2018 01:48 PM

That looks great! Doing a drop bed on these bodies is no joke, you did a wonderful job.

58_Willys 09-01-2018 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Highmark (Post 5864884)
That looks great! Doing a drop bed on these bodies is no joke, you did a wonderful job.

Thanks Highmark.

Gonna get some more done on it this weekend. Front extension for the winch, some kind of interior, and a diamond plate bed box, are on the to-do list.

58_Willys 09-03-2018 04:58 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Small update...took me awhile to get this fabbed up, but it turned out the way I wanted it. Push button on the side, releases the latch for the lid. Skids on the bottom, lock it in place in the runners. Interior next...just waiting for my "bench seat" to get here.

JatoTheRipper 10-24-2018 07:43 AM

Wow! That box looks incredible! Really nice work! "thumbsup"

Is that your 1:1 truck in your avatar?

58_Willys 10-24-2018 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper (Post 5878661)
Wow! That box looks incredible! Really nice work! "thumbsup"

Is that your 1:1 truck in your avatar?

Sadly...no. But I would love to have one.

The box has been painted, since last posting and I've started on the interior. I should have an update this weekend.

Peaker 10-25-2018 05:55 AM

If you have a 3D printer you might be able to get parts here.

https://blenderartists.org/t/offroad...r-wagon/580701

I really like the 3D model you can look at from every angle.

Natedog 10-25-2018 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58_Willys (Post 5863714)
Had the Boom Racing chassis for the Blazer originally, but I preferred the TF2 more for that one. Nice features of BR chassis, it comes with the pieces to lower the shock mounts and the Rx box, so they're flush with the frame. Hmmm...nice place to put a dropped bed. It comes with the shallow aluminum mount for the transfer case too. I've tried the delrin shallow mount and it sucks for a good fit on the Xfer case. Also going to add a styrene grill and interior.... They are perfectly aligned under the wheel wells.

Very nice so far, I've always loved these old Power Wagons and the Jeep pickups like your avatar!!! My TF2 has been tons of fun too.

How does the Boom Racing quality compare with RC4WD? I replaced all the soft stock screws with quality hardware. Got everything shimmed up, but front axle bearing pockets too tight (and caused premature bearing death, better than too loose though). RC4WD tcase bearings are sloppy loose fit, I ended up shimming them with plastic sandwhich baggy over bearing and then press bearing into transfer case housing. :ror:

58_Willys 10-26-2018 06:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peaker (Post 5878932)
If you have a 3D printer you might be able to get parts here.

https://blenderartists.org/t/offroad...r-wagon/580701

I really like the 3D model you can look at from every angle.

I'm new to this 3D printing thing, but I like the idea of the longer, correct bed on the 3D model. The Proline bed isn't correct for a regular cab...it's too short. It belongs on a quad cab.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natedog (Post 5879135)
Very nice so far, I've always loved these old Power Wagons and the Jeep pickups like your avatar!!! My TF2 has been tons of fun too.

How does the Boom Racing quality compare with RC4WD? I replaced all the soft stock screws with quality hardware. Got everything shimmed up, but front axle bearing pockets too tight (and caused premature bearing death, better than too loose though). RC4WD tcase bearings are sloppy loose fit, I ended up shimming them with plastic sandwhich baggy over bearing and then press bearing into transfer case housing. :ror:

I like the Boom Racing stuff. I'm very pleased with this extended chassis. The tcase mount is just like the RC4WD shallow mount, except it's aluminum and actually fits the tcase properly. I tried the same one from RC4WD that's made from delrin and it's all wrong. The tcase doesn't seat flat in the bottom, and it sets the tcase at an angle. The BR chassis also sets the upper rear shock mount, level with the frame rails, making it perfect for a drop bed. "thumbsup"

I'm gonna build a Wagoneer soon, using a RC4WD Bruiser chassis. It's kinda my dream truck.

I was thinking of this as a future build in 1/8 scale. I already have the rims and tires.

58_Willys 10-26-2018 06:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the tool box painted. Working on the interior this weekend, but it will be limited until the I get some stuff from Shapeways.

navyeoseabee 10-28-2018 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrailDawg362 (Post 5863738)

what transmission is that?

58_Willys 10-28-2018 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by navyeoseabee (Post 5879959)
what transmission is that?

That appears to be the RC4WD R4 or GCM's conversion.

old man 52 01-18-2019 03:08 AM

Any updates on this

58_Willys 01-20-2019 01:16 PM

Soon...working on a micro that I got for Christmas. Had to redo the box lid cause the diamond plate layer warped.

anrjch 02-06-2019 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58_Willys (Post 5865968)
Small update...took me awhile to get this fabbed up, but it turned out the way I wanted it. Push button on the side, releases the latch for the lid. Skids on the bottom, lock it in place in the runners. Interior next...just waiting for my "bench seat" to get here.

Where did you get the drop in bed

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Bananaclip 02-07-2019 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anrjch (Post 5908249)

I would have to say that is custom styrene work... I am loving the details going into this PW.... I would like to know more on that push button for the box...... "thumbsup"

58_Willys 02-07-2019 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anrjch (Post 5908249)

Drop bed is handmade with styrene. It will get wood slats too, later on. I built it similar to my F150.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bananaclip (Post 5908417)
I would have to say that is custom styrene work... I am loving the details going into this PW.... I would like to know more on that push button for the box...... "thumbsup"

It kinda works like a 1:1 hood latch. There's a channel on the inside where I captured the spring on the push rod. The rod started out square to fit the inside of the channel and it was notched for the hook piece to be glued in after it was all assembled. Then I carefully glued it into the box. The lid has a catch to hook in when it is closed. The push button is just the end of the push rod, long enough to stick out.

Does that make sense?

Gotta finish the rebuild on the lid this weekend and get it painted back up.

Bananaclip 02-07-2019 03:45 PM

TF2 1946 Power Wagon

Total since and thank you for sharing that.
Very clean precision work. Keep it coming Sir.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk