Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: ScaleBuilt's Heavy Metal Exocaged Jeep JK build with added Portal Goodness

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2018, 01:35 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default ScaleBuilt's Heavy Metal Exocaged Jeep JK build with added Portal Goodness

****** where this build is at at the moment *******

Started this build a while back so I'm playing catch up.

To fuel my roll cage making addiction I went and bought one of these American Land Rover Things called a Jeep.

One über cheap China JK Jeep body off ebay and then 15 minutes later with some blades and hey presto.

The plan is (or was, as I did this a few weeks back as we've been busy having a new baby!) for scx10 rails, SSD Scale Transmission, Mamba X, Tekin Motor, axles will either be VP Portals or SSD Pro44 and then lots and lots of stainless steel tubing and of course - a hinged body as LOTS of my builds have as I simply despise body pins and having to undo lots of screws to swap batteries out.

the general gist of it

started out by welding on a set of stainless tube sliders which will double up as battery mounts for the twin 2200mah 3S lipos - one on either side of the skid

Then made a start on the basic outline of the cage
the bulk of the metal work is stainless tube, 4mm outer diameter with a 1mm wall

the cage is being built to slide down over the body, then get fixed to the body with just 3 x screws on each side. The main cage will then be hinged and tilt up from the back.

Then it will get fixed in the down position with 1 x M3 screw that will tie it to the front bumper section

something a bit like this

Plan is for the ESC to be located between the chassis rails towards the rear of the truck, and the RX and a few other bit's n bobs to be held in an RR10 fuel cell, also at the back.

Started adding some bracing to the cage at this point - and also built a little bit of protection into the front screen bit of the cage for a light bar and added a couple of Oh $h1T handles too.

You can also see the start of the front grille surround here too

And the beginnings of the front bumper which will house a winch too.

Next - Added a LOT more diagonals to the rear section of the cage too and a simple mount for a spare wheel.

Bit hard to see in the photos but I've also scratch made the shock hoops too - again - out of 4mm stainless tube.
n.b. the chassis rails have had a few cm's chopped out of their length at the back to fit the body and intended final wheel base.

and here you can see a bit more of what I'm doing with the front bumper

It's still a work in progress and needs more adding to it but i'm really pleased with it and it's ended up as a super sturdy and simple way to secure the body in the down position. You can just make out the M3 screw about half way up the motor section of the Warn winch - thats the screw which slides through a bit of tubing locking the body in the down position.

At the moment it's mocked up with portal axles and 4.45 inch tyres - but I've also tested it with some 4.75 tyres and they will also work fine which is cool as the 4.45 might end up looking a little too small for this build??? we'll wait and see.

Today I've made some custom front shock hoops and hopefully I'll find the time over the next few days to make a custom pan hard chassis bracket to lift the pan hard bar up a little to help with clearance of the pumpkin with the portal axle.

Next - added a couple of simple tube fenders to mirror the lines of the main exo cage at the front

Also shown in the pics is the truck proudly modelling a set of “CNC Custom Wheels” beadlocks and 1.9 PitBull Growlers
Think this size tyre suits it better than the smaller 4.45 rubber

I also made (but forgot to photograph) a new steel panhard bracket for the chassis which helps to raise the panhard bar (again custom made bar) up out of the way of the raised pumpkin on the portal axles

Raided the spare parts drawer and added some more spotlights to the front end.
These are the GMade spun aluminium housings. Really nice lamps at great value for money, and a nice change from the more common plastic axial style lamps.

You can’t see it in the photos but I’ve also made an aluminium plate to house the Mamba X esc which is slung between the rear chassis rails

Next up is to solder on some more stainless tabs to hold rear lamps and then also work out where the hi-lift jack and land anchor will be held

Added some more stainless tube (again!!!!) to the front bumper - roll hoop to protect the spots and also to tie the grille surround into the bumper too

Also soldered on some tiny tabs on the back roll bar to bolt 4 x more spot lights too

And made a little functional bracket thingy to hold an alloy hi-lift jack on the rear quarter

Up

Down

Made a stainless land anchor tonight and soldered on a couple of brackets so it’s easily removable

Also soldered on yet more tiny brackets to support 2 more LED housings - you can never have enough lights

More progress

Finished off the rockers / sliders which double up as battery compartments

Also added a bash plate to the underside of the front bumper

Silver soldered on a stink load of m3 nuts in the rear tray area which will be used to secure down some aluminium chequer plate sheet too

Did a little bit of a vote over on my instagram and now looks like I’m gonna have to fab up some tube doors too! :hmmm:

So - I’ve made up some pretty simple funtional ones to see how they’ll look and I’m liking them.

The vertical bit of the doors is some brass tubing I had with a 3mm ID and the rest of the door is the same 4mm of stainless tubing as the rest of the cage. Then a couple of square m3 bolts soldered onto the a pillars act as hinges with some m3 bolts as hinge pins

I’ll be adding a little cross bracing to them, and they’ll be fully functional with some magnets sunk into the back side of the tube which will secure to a couple of small mild steel plates that I’ll be adding to the body

Both tube doors finished

Fully functional with two tiny 3mm rare earth magnets sunk into holes drilled in the back side of the tube. Then a bit of mild steel sheet acting as a “striker plate” for the magnets slots through a slit cut in the body’s b pillar and is glued in place

You can also see here that I've swapped out the regular JK seat backs for something a bit more fitting.

Vapour Blasted the cage!

Always so satisfying to get all the silver soldering crud off it and see what remains

Just a small amount of tidying up (sanding) to do then hopefully can start putting things back together and do a bit of bodywork

Last edited by 55ovalcharlie; 09-18-2018 at 03:12 AM.
55ovalcharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2018, 05:19 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: ScaleBuilt's Heavy Metal Exocaged Jeep JK build with added Portal Goodness

I like it, great skills
rs10man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 06:23 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Default Re: ScaleBuilt's Heavy Metal Exocaged Jeep JK build with added Portal Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs10man View Post
I like it, great skills

Old 09-03-2018, 08:35 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Managed to get the body in paint! Baby poo Brown!

Bit of humbrol rattle can with a satin clear coat.

Added some limb risers too

really pleased with how it's turned out.

Also gave the chassis a bit of love too - fresh lick of paint and the gearbox and Tekin motor are now installed.

Old 09-03-2018, 04:05 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by anastyballzach View Post
Awesome cage work man holy smokes that’s sweet!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

I’ve now started to add some of the detail back to the shell / cage

Front spot lights on, lenses on, headlights on and also cut up a kitchen sieve to add a bit of stainless steel mesh to the grille

Radiator on, more spotlights on and also put the removable land anchor back on the side

And the removable hi lift jack has made its way back onto the cage along with the now painted up and detailed axial fuel cell. I also added a filler neck tube too

Old 09-04-2018, 05:29 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Time to start making some decals for this JK!

Seeing as it's got the Vanquish Currie F9 Portals, decided to cut out a Currie logo for the front hood

Then did a Rubicon / Wrangler style decal for my Instagram profile @scalebuilt

And then detailed up the Axial RR10 Fuel Cell

Still lots more little details to sort out.......
Old 09-05-2018, 01:44 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

silver soldering all those biddy little M3 square nuts paid off.

Got the Aluminium Chequerplate fitted last night and it all lined up great!
Plenty of space to fix some scale junk to now

Mamba X ESC going in - it's a tight squeeze with all the cables that will be required but fingers crossed it all fits.

and must remember to leave enough space for the fuel cell / cage to hinge down without crushing anything important

Old 09-05-2018, 03:30 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

When I grow up I wanna be 55ovalcharlie
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 09:09 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninomaniac View Post
When I grow up I wanna be 55ovalcharlie

Thanks - I think lol

anyway - bit more scale details for you.

received one of the amazing Dead Mans Switches from Powershift RC.

awesome product - so had to make up some decals for it to try and match the O.G. Powertank CO2 tanks.

Here are the decals I made - next I'll give the tank a coat of paint.

Old 09-05-2018, 04:23 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Lick of paint and the decals I made on this Powershift switch have done it the world of good

This thing is such a simple yet clever idea. Love it

Old 09-07-2018, 04:24 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Update

Got this nice little spare tyre strap from some far flung country on eBay - super pleased with it.

And news flash - we have power !!!!!

Winch is wired up along with a controller
Powershift DMS is wires in
Mamba X has been set up on the computer and is now fully connected with the Aux wire set up for drag brake adjustment

Next step is to try and route all the wires in a semi neat fashion
Old 09-07-2018, 06:20 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Sweet baby jeebers, that is a fine ride...
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 08:37 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Nice halos!

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 11:53 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mtech View Post
Nice halos!

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Sweet baby jeebers, that is a fine ride...

Thanks guys
Old 09-13-2018, 01:36 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

I've not forgotten about this build, it's almost done - everything is wired up and working now (there's a LOT of electrics / lights etc...) - I've even made some inner wheel arches for it to try and hide the wiring as much as possible.

I'll post some more "complete" photos in the next few days but I'm just in the throws of adding some details to it at the moment.

and printed out some gauge faces for the dash

Old 09-14-2018, 05:36 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

Nearly done

Few more detailed shots now that the rear “bed” is pretty much done

So impressed with the powershift dead mans switch unit!
And loads of other junk now fixed onto the back

All the lights are now wired up and functioning correctly - we’ve got headlights, 3 x spot lights on the front, big light bar above screen, 2 x brake lights and 4 x flashy light thingies behind the drivers head - and also a full compliment of rock lights hidden in the inner wheel arches too

Other stuff.....
Removable hilift jack
Removable land anchor on the other side
Removable fire extinguisher
The receiver and various rx switches are stowed away in the fuel cel too

Old 09-14-2018, 02:45 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Just need the postman to deliver some slightly longer UNC bolts so I can fit the hub caps to the rims now

Old 09-16-2018, 04:02 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Bit more progress

Repainted a driver figure who’s been christened “Beefcake Barry” and got some 5 point harnesses installed - safety first!

I’ve also got the ride height set pretty much where I want it but still got room to adjust a bit more if needed

And had to test out all the lighting

Old 09-17-2018, 07:45 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

the postman has let me down so still can't finish off my wheels properly yet which sucks

Old 09-17-2018, 04:08 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

Decided that the dash needed a bit of lighting

So printed out a few variations of Autometer gauge faces on some clear vinyl

Then used a bit of tube styrene cut to length, boxed in at one end, then a clear piece of lexan over the other end with the stickers applied

The smaller gauge “case” is actually a cut down traxxas jato rod end painted

I then wired up a few 3mm leds in series and hey presto

ScaleBuilt's Heavy Metal Exocaged Jeep JK build with added Portal Goodness - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
And Another POWER WAGON build - with added Portal Goodness 55ovalcharlie Axial SCX10 II 7 03-30-2019 10:46 AM
RBS` Tonka Build: Project Heavy Metal RBS 2.2 Scale Rigs 13 11-23-2016 08:54 AM
1:20 Jeep WJ leafer build (PIC HEAVY) fatsachs Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 8 02-08-2015 10:56 PM
The FREAK... Jeep LJ build #3 UPDATE 99% DONE Pix added ser3100 1.5 Scale Rigs 152 06-04-2014 02:24 PM
The Family Jeep build (Pic Heavy) Axial95 1:1 Full Size Vehicles 2 11-27-2013 07:13 PM