Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin

Notices

Thread: VS4-10 Patriot Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2018, 10:10 PM   #1

Default VS4-10 Patriot Build

I wanted to share my new build! I started with RC as a kid with a 2wd stampede, took a hiatus for probably 15 years until my awesome brother got me a TRX4 last fall. Since then I've built a Gelande 2 Cruiser and just started my next build.... a VS4-10!! I wanted to share and hopefully answer questions for anyone looking into the VS4-10 platform.

The build inspiration comes from the International Harvester Scout Patriot Edition. Not many of them were ever built but I love how they look.

I'm starting with the chassis and I'll post over time once I get the final details, such as the knight customs grill, rollbar and rear bracket to run topless, method MR307 clear/aluminum (too bad they are sold out everywhere)

This is a performance oriented build so I'm sticking to the lexan interior and not many scale parts. My cruiser is my scale rig, trx is my bruiser of a heavy truck. Maybe I'll keep the electronics a surprise until I get them installed.

Mandatory unboxing image - I was just as impressed as everyone says.

Comparison to the trx4 body (started as a defender BTW)

Quality Machining

I know there has been some issues with bent frames, and general concern. Vanquish Products includes the upgraded chassis braces which give me utmost confidence.

Original:

Upgraded

Assembled with front bumper

And final pic for progress up to this point. Rest of the goodies should be here on wednesday thanks to RPP.

Stay tuned for the rest of the build and please ask any questions, give feedback, and offer advice. I love the builds on this site.

Last edited by bearravioli; 11-12-2018 at 10:47 PM.
bearravioli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2018, 10:26 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: VS4-10 Patriot Build

I like the looks of this build, but you have to resize the pics, they are huge and makes it very tough to follow the thread.
bilinvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 10:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilinvic View Post
I like the looks of this build, but you have to resize the pics, they are huge and makes it very tough to follow the thread.
Hi bilinvic, thanks for the feedback. Figured out my issue and hopefully the edit is much more user friendly.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:29 AM   #4
Go Buckeyes!

Subscribed! Looking forward to following your build. The VS4-10 is by far the best rig in my collection. The craftsmanship and attention to detail in this kit is the best I have ever seen. Every part just seems to fall together.

Congrats and happy building!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 06:24 AM   #5

I can't wait to see what you do with this since that's a nice paint scheme to copy!

I never realized how large this body was until you put it next to the Bronco. Thanks for sharing that photo.

It's good to see VP is now including the metal chassis brace.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:19 PM   #6

Build update 2: Waiting on shock oil, paint, motor, electronics box, maybe something else I'm forgetting.

Links match the size in the manual - very helpful!

Installing the pivot balls. I use pliers in their larger opening setting (this set is the perfect size, no idea what brand), but there are specialty RC pliers for just this! Set the ball down on table, place rod end on top, and press down.

Threading rod ends onto rods. This was difficult, because the rod ends are not threaded. You thread as you install. I use locking pliers with folded shop towels to prevent any scratching. Set the pliers based on different diameters of the rods.

Installing links into chassis: I was having a hard time with alignment as these are longs screws, so I used an allen key to line everything up.

And drum roll..... Tekin T-440 Servo! First time with a Tekin servo so I'll post my thoughts later.

A chassis pic with links and servo installed. Waiting for parts to complete the rest.

Tekin hotwire might be cool to have. Theres a hint for the rest of the electronics
Old 11-17-2018, 12:14 AM   #7

Build update 3:
I completed the chassis so check the pics below. Working on mounting the tires on the beadlocks. I also tried to mask the body lines, but was having trouble. So I have some 6mm wide tape coming that should help.

Painting in winter sucks!

Chassis with 1 fender

Completed chassis

Closeup of the Tekin Roc412 2300kv

Front end closeup

Rear end

Hopefully I can get the body painted next week and this thing together. Maybe I'll work on the electronics on saturday.
Old 11-17-2018, 06:51 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

That 2300 will make you grin !!

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 05:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
That 2300 will make you grin !!

Hang up and Drive
I want to try it out! This is my first 3S rig so im curious about the whole setup.
Old 11-17-2018, 05:41 PM   #10

Build update 4:
I got the electronics wired up! I may as well list the components:

Tekin T-440 servo
Tekin RX4 ESC
Tekin Roc412 2300kv motor
Spektrum SR415 4 channel receiver

I'm using the Trx4 sealed electronics box ($12) to keep the receiver safe and dry.

Closeup:

Ran the wire across the spur guard. Using gorilla tape for now but might find something cleaner.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:50 PM   #11

Build update #5:

I have the paint done on the body. A little disappointed due to some bleeding and some masking errors. But every mistake is a learning opportunity.

Question: Does your vs4 rear bumper slide all the way in? I can't get it seated all the way in because the bumper posts hit the bend in the frame... let me know. Currently not as close as it could be.

Masking tip: if you don't have a dispenser, keep your tape in a ziplock bag. When using, stand them upright. The purpose of both of these tips is to prevent debris, lint, miscellaneous items from sticking to the sides which is ultimately your line! Clean tape means clean lines.

Servo horn: I had to order a new servo horn. Went with vanquish so it would work. You can see the difference in shape of the horns, which is required because the Tekin servo horn hit the frame rail and would prevent full turn.

Some masking..

First look at the stripes.

Interior progress 1

Interior progres 2. Need more black paint for the rear - for if/when I run no top.

And here it is! Exterior shots

Looks pretty good with black wheels. Will run the stock for a while until I can get my hand on some aluminum vanquish MR307s (classis american looking with the holes in a ring).

Let me know what you think! I'm happy other than the mistakes. Gotta finish interior paint, add the exterior decals and bolt ons, and setup the electronics.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:15 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Rear bumper only goes in so far

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote

VS4-10 Patriot Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vanquish VS4-10 Origin Limited Build/Thoughts Issues rohrej Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin 131 03-26-2021 08:09 AM
International Scout/Ambush VS4-10 Killer/Tribute? Build dna4engr 1.9 Scale Rigs 11 09-16-2018 07:01 PM
Patriot Games CR01 FJ40 william g Tamiya CR-01 6 06-09-2008 04:23 PM
jeep patriot Kranberry Chit Chat 8 04-11-2007 06:54 PM