Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: New Project- what to choose?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2018, 12:02 AM   #1

Default New Project- what to choose?

Hi all,

My name is George, i have been in this hobby for a long period of time, most of the time, racing.

I love the 2.2 class, for me that is pure crawling, but everybody now, is going to 1.9, scale trauck. I have a wraith, with a lot of upgrades and now is time to build a 1.9 scale truck, i dont want to invest too much because i really think it will not be on my taste. At least i will have a car, to go out with my friends. I have some wheels and a body, so im thinking to buy a kit.

Recently, on the market, we have 2 new types of kit. HPI Venture, and SCX10 II.
We also have the chinese kits, but on older platform of SCX10.

I know Venture is 50$ more expensive, but it has some better shocks than SCX10.
SCX10 on the other way, is more popular, so i can have a lot of upgrades.
Chinese kits, i really dont know...
Xtra Speed Trail Glider SCX10 CNC Machined Aluminum Fully Upgraded 1/10 Scale Crawler 313mm WB ARTR #XS-CAR-908,

Or the boom racing, D90 D110, clones that you probably know.

Guys, i need your help
vgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2018, 12:46 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: New Project- what to choose?

I wasn't sure of what the market is like for RC cars in Romania and I don't know exactly where you live, but I see there's a HPI shop in Cluj-Napoca. I can see on their website that there is a SCX10 kit, but the fact that they seem better able to get HPI parts would make me lean more towards them. I also see that there's a hobbyshop in Bucharest, but it's website isn't as nice as the one in Cluj-Napoca so I didn't spend much time on it. I've spent a week in Brasov and a few days in Bucharest so I know these 2 cities are far away from each other.

I own a couple of Axial SCX10s and am happy with them, but from what I've seen of the HPIs they are also a good option.

My ex drove me around to a few cool spots in the Transylvanian countryside. Needless to say, I wish I had traveled with my SCX10 when we went on a hike in Parcul Natural Bucegi. Romania is absolutely beautiful and I would guess you have plenty of great spots for crawling. Just watch out for those wild, Carpathian shepherds!

Last edited by colbynobo; 12-18-2018 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Spelling of dog name
colbynobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 12:57 AM   #3

Yes, our biggest hobby shop is for HPI.
I am in this hobby for 10 years now, so i know everyone.

For HPI, i am a little bit worried about the upgrade parts. I dont see too many.

And about the beautifull words that you said about Romania, is true. Also with the sheperds They are like wild animals
vgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 01:17 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Yeah, HPI has had some scary moments in the past. They make some good kits, but the supply chain may not be the best. I once had a HPI WR8 that was fantastic to drive and look at, but I chose to sell when I had my doubts about being able to get replacement parts.

I know you didn't mention this as one of the choices, but I did notice that the HPI shop sells Traxxas TRX4s. They cost more than the HPI, but it may be another option for you to consider. I have one of those as well and can happily recommend it. The parts probably also cost more, but they'll be around for a while. The hobbyshops here in my state of Colorado in the United States are filled with TRX4 parts. I suspect the same may be true in many other states.
colbynobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 10:25 AM   #5

Have you considered the TRX-4? That is a fun truck and a lot different than the rest. I think you would get the most enjoyment out of this truck since you don't feel that you'll like 1.9 scale rigs.

If you want a vast aftermarket and like having what everybody else has get the SCX10 II.

If you want a great truck out of the box that many people don't have then get the HPI Venture.

These two trucks have very similar performance.

I'd avoid any of the Boom/China/RC4WD trucks since you don't seem to want to drive in a scale manner. My assumption could be wrong though.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 12:09 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Axial Scx10ii Raw builders kit - that's what I would do. [shrug]
Versatility - make it whatever ya want. Pretty good stock. Tons of aftermarket. $200.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 09:36 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Theres also the GMADE BOM and the soon to be released Redcat Gen8. I too am having this dilemma
nedmo is offline   Reply With Quote

New Project- what to choose? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help me choose! Zac_F71 General Scale Talk 4 07-19-2015 05:32 PM
If you had to choose....... ridepate Electronics 1 01-14-2012 04:51 AM
If you had to choose only one... Rockpiledriver General Crawlers 19 01-13-2012 08:18 PM
Help me choose the colors on my Rail project! daign Paint and Body 24 08-27-2011 07:58 PM