Amazing!!!
Taper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 05:11 PM   #123
RCC Addict

Default Re: Sand Scorcher Crawler - Another Bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork View Post
Awesome! How are you mounting the body?
I’m going steal HumboldtEF’s magnet idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taper View Post
Amazing!!!
Thanks!
Tossedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 08:04 PM   #124
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tossedman View Post
I’m going steal HumboldtEF’s magnet idea.

Thanks!

One thing I'll note about gluing the magnets to the body, I used E6000 and after the glue dried there were 2 divots in the hood right where the magnets were place. I think there may have been an exothermic reaction (some glue gets hot when drying) or the E6000 itself sort of melted the styrene. I know it has the ability to melt off paint and other stuff.

I guess it would be ideal to glue the magnets first (before paint) then you can use some bog to fill in the divots. I know its a bit late for that though.

Now that I think back there was also a body mount glued to the sides of the body and they didn't seem to warp. Maybe that was due to it being a bracket and not having a magnet involved?
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 09:09 PM   #125
RCC Addict

That's interesting. I too have magnets glued in the same spot as yours but with no visible marks on the top of the hood. Wonder why it happened there and not on the side magnet mounts. 'Tis a mystery!
Old 02-09-2020, 04:33 PM   #126
RCC Addict

As it turns out, slider prototype #5 is in the works. Had a bit of trouble with curling on the last print. Got that sorted and now see a couple of other modifications to make. More to come in the next couple of days.
Old 02-18-2020, 01:29 PM   #127

Awesome work. Love it
rsclio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 08:40 PM   #128
RCC Addict

So, I wasn't happy with the sliders and the stance, so I fiddle farted around and made new sliders. After a pile of prototypes and learning how to make PTEG work on my 3D printer I finally came up with these. Made the bottoms smooth to slide over the rocks as well.

I like the stance now.

Engine looks good, but needs wiring, exhaust and a cage. Think I need to paint that pumpkin black though.

Sliders.
Old 02-20-2020, 07:51 PM   #129

This has given me a ton of hope for my scorcher body. Planning on putting It on my scale comp rig scx10 with ar44’s. Definitely not going to look as fit and finished as yours since It will be stretched and wider to fit the bigger chassis This thing is beautiful though. Nice work!
Buchhop2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 08:03 PM   #130
I wanna be Dave

The sliders look good, I guess there not much left from the original design lol but I'm glad you made it work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buchhop2 View Post
This has given me a ton of hope for my scorcher body. Planning on putting It on my scale comp rig scx10 with ar44’s. Definitely not going to look as fit and finished as yours since It will be stretched and wider to fit the bigger chassis This thing is beautiful though. Nice work!

I built something closer to what you've described but with narrowed AR44's from beeftubes. Heres the build thread if you're interested Caught the Bug (Scorcher Build)
Old 02-20-2020, 09:10 PM   #131
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buchhop2 View Post
Thanks! Make sure you post a build thread. This forum needs more Bugs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
The sliders look good, I guess there not much left from the original design lol but I'm glad you made it work.
Just the idea is left, but it’s a good one so thanks again. Narrowed them, flipped them over, thinned them out. Took a crapload of prototypes though. I kept screwing something up. Finally got it though. Just printed the mounts for the magnets but that’s for tomorrow.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:02 AM   #132
RCC Addict

Time to clean this mess up so I can finish this build.

Old 02-23-2020, 03:56 PM   #133
RCC Addict

So here are the magnet brackets that I've whipped up. Inspiration is HumboldtEF's fine work once again. Sometimes I don't think I ever have an original idea, I just recycle those of others. I tried using Shapr3D on the iPad to design it. I'm very impressed with the design software.

Old 02-24-2020, 06:42 PM   #134
RCC Addict

While waiting for glue to dry on the slider magnets the mechanic snuck in to get a bit of engine work done.

Old 02-25-2020, 06:36 PM   #135
RCC Addict

Well, the glue has dried and I'm happy with the results. A magnet glued to the slider and another to the bracket which has been glues to the body and boom! the body is attached. I can pick up the whole kit and caboodle by the body and these two sets of magnets. I'm still going to add some under the hood as well.

Old 02-25-2020, 07:14 PM   #136
I wanna be Dave

Looking close man!

I've been more than happy with just 4 magnets though I chose to use some strong magnets (I forget which, not the strongest but 1 notch down). I would almost worry about having too many magnets because as mine sits I have to pry the body off with a decent amount of force and I already worry about cracking the body if I pry it from a weaker area. The way I pop my body off is by pushing the body away from the rear bumper pushing the body with my fingers and holding against the bumper with my thumbs releasing the rear set of magnets first then the front. If I pry it off from the front first the body bends back the exhaust.
With 6 magnets you would need to be breaking the bond of 4 magnets at once (not exactly but very close to it).

So I mean it should just be a simple matter of taking a body off but there's actually a lot going on.

I guess there is one other way to get the body off which I do very seldomly, hold the body firmly and huck the chassis away from it (while still holding on to the body) lol

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 02-25-2020 at 07:24 PM.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:27 PM   #137
RCC Addict

Good point. It sticks really well with just the two brackets. Having a groove in the slider to hold the edge of the body helps keep it in place as well. I'll play it by ear. Can always add magnets later. Last thing I want to do is crack the body.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:51 PM   #138
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tossedman View Post
Having a groove in the slider to hold the edge of the body helps keep it in place as well.

Thats also a good point and to take that idea further you might be able to incorporate a tab that latches the body into the chassis to hold it in place front to back too. It would need to cooperate with how you need to remove the body though.

that might be overkill lol, it looks good enough to me
Old 02-29-2020, 05:40 PM   #139
RCC Addict

I saw a thread on rockcrawler.de where a guy used a cabinet latch to hold his body on. Was quite clever.

Started a bit of wiring on the engine today. Added silicone wires this time. Found out the hard way not to use the heat gun on the heat shrink tubing I used for the boots on the distributor. 3D printed engine bits melt awfully quick. Good thing is it's easy to reprint that left side cover. Used the soldering iron instead to shrink the tubing. Need to replace one of those too as I got a bit close with that too. What do you all think about the wire colour? Black? Red? Blue? Yellow? Green? I started with black but am thinking it'll just disappear under the rear of the body.

Old 02-29-2020, 07:31 PM   #140
I wanna be Dave

I'd go with Yellow for the wires... like Accel performance spark plug wires.

Last edited by durok; 02-29-2020 at 07:33 PM.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote

Sand Scorcher Crawler - Another Bug - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
is this a sand scorcher?? sandblaster87 Non Crawler RC's 11 02-24-2009 12:57 PM