Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: 1st gen Durango IFS TRUE SCALE (you're going to want to see this)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2019, 12:46 AM   #81
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: 1st gen Durango IFS TRUE SCALE (you're going to want to see this)

This thing is getting complicated, so many parts packed into this little area, also I started the flares and they were a lot easier to draw than I had first imagined.

jonnywachter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2019, 11:16 AM   #82
RCC Addict

Looking at the last pic, simply print a couple blocks (like 2 rod ends sticking out the front), use some m3 all thread for the rack. Allows you to use jam nuts to keep the "drive" lever off the rack's shaft secure, and a short tie rod or flat stock to the servo. Prototype. Ideally add a tab to shaft stock that has been threaded on the ends. I'll sketch you a picture so you can make sense of my ramblings...
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 11:39 AM   #83
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC FAB View Post
Looking at the last pic, simply print a couple blocks (like 2 rod ends sticking out the front), use some m3 all thread for the rack. Allows you to use jam nuts to keep the "drive" lever off the rack's shaft secure, and a short tie rod or flat stock to the servo. Prototype. Ideally add a tab to shaft stock that has been threaded on the ends. I'll sketch you a picture so you can make sense of my ramblings...
Surprisingly enough, I think I get what you're saying. that's an interesting way to end up with a sliding mechanism.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:20 AM   #84

Getting my Slippers out pulling up a comfortable chair
Yes, thats right fat boy sit down relax, get the popcorn out...
Can not wait so see the end result.
Soundboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 07:41 AM   #85
Pebble Pounder

Very nice work! Wish I had those kinds a CAD skills. The only addition that I would make is to add a connecting link from the bottom rear cross member back to the horizontal part of the chassis. That would help to keep the whole assembly from wanting to rotate under load, and help to keep it from hanging up if you need to back up. I will be keeping an eye on this one.
erikstarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 02:55 PM   #86
RCC Addict

Come on bro, its been 5 days...... nada. Really? I am soooooo looking forward to seeing a working prototype, as are countless others here. So lets be seeing it. Life seems to always get in the way somehow, we just need another update of your CAD skills.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:17 PM   #87
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Come on bro, its been 5 days...... nada. Really? I am soooooo looking forward to seeing a working prototype, as are countless others here. So lets be seeing it. Life seems to always get in the way somehow, we just need another update of your CAD skills.
LOL I'm sorry I've kept you guys waiting, to be honest I've been waiting for parts to show up so I can continue, so there really hasn't been much progress yet. I also decided to take a road trip to Cali and attend the King Of Hammers race, I'm sure a lot of you are familiar with. Going to get back on the computer tonight and make some progress with the new parts I got in tho! So stay tuned
Old 02-11-2019, 05:18 PM   #88
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikstarcher View Post
Very nice work! Wish I had those kinds a CAD skills. The only addition that I would make is to add a connecting link from the bottom rear cross member back to the horizontal part of the chassis. That would help to keep the whole assembly from wanting to rotate under load, and help to keep it from hanging up if you need to back up. I will be keeping an eye on this one.
I have always had the intention to add that support, there hasn't been a need to draw it in yet so that's why its not there, but there will definitely be something there in the end.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:21 PM   #89
Pebble Pounder

What do you guys think I should do for skid plates? Originally I was thinking is to have standoffs extruding from the main sub-frame that would be in the correct orientation to mount a piece of thin aluminum to.

Last edited by jonnywachter; 02-20-2019 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:58 PM   #90
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnywachter View Post
What do you guys think I should do for skid plates? Originally I was thinking is to have standoffs extruding from the main sub-frame that would be in the correct orientation to mount a piece of thin aluminum to. This would be a piece the end user would have to make them selves though.

Sounds good to me.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:00 PM   #91
Pebble Pounder

Well its funny how things work out, I purchased some Yeah Racing adjustable CVD's for a TT02D, got them modeled up and fitted in the assembly. I'm messing around with the lengths and 48mm (center to center of the swing shaft ball ends) seems to be the right length. Well now that I know the correct length I research 48mm CVD's and an axial yeti Jr CVD comes up. I cant find any measurements online so if there is anyone out there that could confirm these are 48mm it would be great to stick with axial products. My only issue with the yeti jr shafts is the axle part and how is attaches to the wheel. What are your guys opinions on this?

Old 02-11-2019, 07:12 PM   #92
I wanna be Dave

I don’t think the YJr would be a good choice. It’s discontinued for 1, 2-it was never popular, 3-it was more of a 1/18 with a 12mm hex.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:45 AM   #93
Pebble Pounder

I redesigned the front spindle for a more scale appearance and now the full suspension travel can be utilized, the rod ends were causing a lot of limited travel and binding before this design. Also, another update, the front end had somehow grown to be 0.1" per side wider than the rear end so I had to go in and shorten everything up. That effected the axle length which means they are now 46mm swing shafts. If anyone had any info on a readily available 46mm CVD, please advise! (the dog-bone end had to be the smaller 6mm ball)

Last edited by jonnywachter; 02-12-2019 at 12:53 AM.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:23 AM   #94
I wanna be Dave

46mm from where to where?

https://m.banggood.com/FIJON-FJ9-110...p-1220986.html
Old 02-12-2019, 05:29 AM   #95

Wow, I can't wait to see how this turns out! The Solidworks modeling looks excellent!
apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:13 AM   #96
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
Center ball to center ball on the swing shaft part of the CVD. Those look close!
Old 02-12-2019, 09:38 AM   #97
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnywachter View Post
Also, another update, the front end had somehow grown to be 0.1" per side wider than the rear end so I had to go in and shorten everything up. That effected the axle length which means they are now 46mm swing shafts.
I think I would have just made narrower hexes for the front to correct it. (or wider hexes in the rear)
RadioFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:13 AM   #98
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFlyer View Post
I think I would have just made narrower hexes for the front to correct it. (or wider hexes in the rear)
Wider hexes in the rear would make the track width wider than stock and the hexes in the front are as narrow as they can be. The idea has come up a few times to build off this kit and possibly make a "long travel" version that would be wider, also a 2wd version where the front end would have better ground clearance.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:01 PM   #99
RCC Addict

Have you actually put the front diff together to really know the diff width and therefore true axle lengths? Is your axle selection going to be strong enough if it comes from a smaller, lighter vehicle?
Old 02-12-2019, 01:26 PM   #100
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Have you actually put the front diff together to really know the diff width and therefore true axle lengths? Is your axle selection going to be strong enough if it comes from a smaller, lighter vehicle?
Currently, the diff that is modeled up is the exact dimensions of the diff I have, everything theoretically is going to work just fine. I ordered the SSD pumpkin but the size of the holes for the axle tubes are too small to utilize the same design that I have for the other diff. My main focus is on getting this preliminary design finished and printed so I can have a working prototype. Ill be able to get a much better idea of the direction I want to go after that. As far as the CVD axle strength, I doubt there will be any issues considering the parts are way overbuilt for their application, but there will be lots of testing to confirm this anyway.

Last edited by jonnywachter; 02-20-2019 at 09:15 AM.

1st gen Durango IFS TRUE SCALE (you're going to want to see this) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
IFS Durango from 1.9 section Joshs4x4toyz Chit Chat 97 03-11-2019 06:45 AM