Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Just a Power Wagon for some Fun!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2019, 05:30 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Just a Power Wagon for some Fun!

As much as I love my 2 Hilux builds, I miss a really capable truck. So, when Axial announced their builders kit, I decided to build up a Class 2 truck. The premise of this build is 1) Capable, and 2) Simple.

Having looked at a lot of build threads on forums and Instagram I decided to go for a Proline Power Wagon body. I think I'm going to paint it inside and out, but more on that later in the build.

I went with some SSD Pro44 axles, and I have a spare GCM scale transmission so decided to use that for 2 reasons. 1) to keep things low so I can get a simple interior in, and 2) to get overdrive to the front axle.

Here's how the truck looks loosely assembled.

So, I set to work on a simple rear cage.

That's where I'm up to so far. Next up will probably be some sort of simple front bumper. I'm going to add a fairlead just in case I want to add a servo winch at a later date.
neilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2019, 05:32 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Just a Power Wagon for some Fun!

That cage looks awesome dude!!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
robbark34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 05:35 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbark34 View Post
That cage looks awesome dude!!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
Thanks very much
Old 02-09-2019, 07:05 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Cleanest welding job I've ever seen on an RC. Heck, that would be a very clean welding job on a 1:1 if it was scaled up. Would you be willing to share with us how you manage it?

Last edited by bbrigg; 02-09-2019 at 07:08 PM.
bbrigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 09:28 PM   #5
Slow is the new Fast

I really like the clean design of your cage. Look forward to seeing th bumper. Thanks for sharing, iit’s cool!
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:59 PM   #6

*wipes drool off lip* yep that a purty rig rig there. Looking forward to seeing this progress...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Norcalnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 11:38 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Your garage it too clean, where does all this work happens? Nice brazing/soldering. is it sand blasted afterward, or what secrets do you use, have for flux removal?
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:24 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrigg View Post
Cleanest welding job I've ever seen on an RC. Heck, that would be a very clean welding job on a 1:1 if it was scaled up. Would you be willing to share with us how you manage it?
Thanks very much. I just use 55% silver brazing rods, Mapp gas, and the appropriate flux. I do clean the joints up before i take photos though

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
I really like the clean design of your cage. Look forward to seeing the bumper. Thanks for sharing, it’s cool!
Thank you. Hoping to start the bumper this week sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcalnoob View Post
*wipes drool off lip* yep that a purty rig rig there. Looking forward to seeing this progress...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you. Hoping to have another update later this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gula View Post
Your garage it too clean, where does all this work happens? Nice brazing/soldering. is it sand blasted afterward, or what secrets do you use, have for flux removal?
Thanks One of my future projects is some weathering on the garage, but builds seem to keep getting in the way all the time. One day i'll get on it.

I don't sand blast, just use a wire wheel in my pillar drill and sometimes sand paper to clean on the joints. I think the trick is to have super clean, tight joints to start with, and then use the minimum amount of flux possible. The more flux you use, the more cleaning up you'll have to do
Old 02-17-2019, 12:37 PM   #9

Oh man I think I’m getting the itch for another build!
muffhuntin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 12:37 PM   #10

I love the cage work
muffhuntin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 12:54 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Looking very nice indeed and I like the whole premise of the build. Agree with the others on the cage work as well - stellar!
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 04:46 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffhuntin View Post
Oh man I think I’m getting the itch for another build!
Thanks. I always look at other builds, and think "I must do one of those"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffhuntin View Post
I love the cage work
Thanks very much

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
Looking very nice indeed and I like the whole premise of the build. Agree with the others on the cage work as well - stellar!
Thanks a lot

I've spent the last few evenings getting the chassis finished. I installed the GCM Scale Transmission, driveshafts and SSD axle weights. I also stripped and rebuilt the Proline shocks.

I discovered that I needed to modify the lower bar on the cage hoop as at full compression it just fouled the driveshaft. Now, I know that it'll probably never compress both shocks together, but I just like things to be right, so I chopped it up a little.

I'd decided that the front part of the cab would be mounted with velcro, which was easy enough to do. However, the rear part was causing me a little more of a headache. I didn't want long posts to the roof as that would probably end up fouling the interior. So, after much deliberation I can up with this.

It works great, is easy to put the body in place and keeps the body tight. The green fuel tubing is just for the mock up. I'll replace it with black on the final assembly.

And lastly, I've made a start on the front bumper. I think I'm going to go for a simple looking stinger with a fairlead just in case I decide to add a servo winch at some point in the future.

Next up will be the final part of the front bumper, once I've decided what it'll be. Thanks for looking.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:29 PM   #13

Everything you do is so clean! And your brazing or welding skills are top notch!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:50 PM   #14

I love this so much. I am working on something similar currently. The cage I got from a guy on fb but I'm not super happy with it, so I bought a bender and am going to try to solder my own. Your work is very inspirational.
Bigsteezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:55 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Nice tube work, very clean.
valheru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 05:12 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Everything you do is so clean! And your brazing or welding skills are top notch!
Thank you Sir, much appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsteezy View Post
I love this so much. I am working on something similar currently. The cage I got from a guy on fb but I'm not super happy with it, so I bought a bender and am going to try to solder my own. Your work is very inspirational.
Thank you for the kind words. Practice is all it takes

Quote:
Originally Posted by valheru View Post
Nice tube work, very clean.
Thanks very much.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:16 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

I've had a complete change of heart with this build. After driving my TRX4 and being so impressed with how capable it is, I decided to move the Power Wagon on to a TRX4.

For now, the Ford F-100 body is awaiting another TRX4, and with the UK G6 looming I'm using the chassis from the Ford.

The premise of the original Power Wagon build was to be as capable as possible, while still being a great trail truck. As I was under a tight time schedule for the G6, and this was a quick build, the pics move along fairly fast.

First job was to cut some more off the chassis rails to further improve the departure angle.

Trim the body and work out the look I wanted.

Rear chassis trimmed, and shock brace added.

I wanted to avoid using body clips, but the rear was awkward to mount. So, I used some clips, then hid them in a tool box.

I'm not a big fan of heavily weathered trucks, but I wanted this to look like the Cab had been used, but that a new hood and rear bed had been fitted. So I did a small amount of weathering on the cab only (my first attempt, so go easy...)

Playing with some ideas for the naked space on the rear bed. Don't think the cooler suits this truck.though.

I hate wires showing through the wheel wells so I made some inner fenders using some RC4WD lexan fenders for the 4Runner. Quite a lot of trimming needed, but managed to get them to look quite good.

And here it is, all ready for the G6 this weekend.

I made some hidden sliders using some 8mm Delrin rod. I didn't want big sliders sticking out, so I'm hoping these will protect the bottom of the body as well as sliding well on the rocks.

And lastly, I added a few rock lights.

That's all for now. Unfortunately time ran out on me before I could build an interior, so that will be after the G6 now. I'm also going to braze up a more appropriate from bumper (so this can go back on the Ford), as well as adding a servo winch.

A quick test this evening was reassuring. This truck is very capable. More pics to come from the G6.

Thanks for looking, as usual.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:44 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Another great build by you!
theone13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 05:12 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Badass.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 06:35 AM   #20

It looks great as always!

Do you think the front shock tower brace is necessary? I know the TRX-4 shock towers are quite beefy as far as plastic goes.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Just a Power Wagon for some Fun! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From this , to that ! Power Wagon ! Frank211 1.9 Scale Rigs 20 05-19-2019 01:10 PM
Project B.A. Power Wagon (Bad A** Power Wagon) freetimecrawler 1.9 Scale Rigs 1 12-30-2018 07:19 AM
1964 Dodge Power Wagon Town Wagon bodean 1.9 Scale Rigs 32 05-29-2015 11:02 AM
Project 2.2: Diesel Power-Wagon beater fun truck Desert Rc 2.2 Scale Rigs 33 07-30-2014 06:52 PM
60 in a 73 power wagon losikid Chit Chat 13 10-10-2011 08:27 PM