Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin

Notices

Thread: Vanquish VS4-10 Review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2019, 08:31 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Vanquish VS4-10 Review

Just finished building my VS4 Black, overall a fun build and went together very well. I'll start with the manual, Very good but they could have taken a little more time and put in written text that may have helped a novice builder, Example- The front and rear axle bags include a couple shims for the build, if you were new to the game you may not know what they are for, nowhere in the manual are they shown or explained what they are or where they may or may not be needed. On the plus the hardware scale on each page is very accurate. The part layout and parts bags were very well done. Parts fit and finish was also nicely done. The only thing that would really hold me back from buying another one is the price. For $900 I expected metal wheels, shock oil and grease. Metal shock towers would have been nice also. If metal wheels are to much of a cost to include, leave the wheels and tires out and lower the price to $800.
sherbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2019, 09:24 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Vanquish VS4-10 Review

I can understand them not supplying metal wheels - rotating weight puts strain on the drive train, especially when there's a drag brake involved. The tyres are great though.

What is a problem is the KMC wheels don't work with SLW hubs and the screws used in the plastic hubs are tiny. I can't see them lasting too long before they get stripped out. The part is cheap for sure but silly annoying given you can't use any SLW or compatible hub.

Wasn't bothered about grease or shock fluid but the pre built shocks are annoying. I wanted to add green slime to stop leakage but to do this meant taking them apart. Please do not include pre assembled shocks in kits unless you can guarantee they are assembled properly.
mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:45 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mond View Post
I can understand them not supplying metal wheels - rotating weight puts strain on the drive train, especially when there's a drag brake involved. The tyres are great though.

What is a problem is the KMC wheels don't work with SLW hubs and the screws used in the plastic hubs are tiny. I can't see them lasting too long before they get stripped out. The part is cheap for sure but silly annoying given you can't use any SLW or compatible hub.

Wasn't bothered about grease or shock fluid but the pre built shocks are annoying. I wanted to add green slime to stop leakage but to do this meant taking them apart. Please do not include pre assembled shocks in kits unless you can guarantee they are assembled properly.
The grease and fluid was not a true issue as I have plenty of both just could not understand why at that price of kit they did not include it. In fact the manual did not even give a suggestion as a oil weight starting point. I did use the tires but upgraded the wheels to the XD229's, just not a fan of plastic wheels for trail or crawl.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:07 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Default Vanquish VS4-10 Review

spot on, I personally am not impressed with the VXT tires ( have two sets)any wet sand or mud they clog up. They grip well on edges, but are not 4.65” tall, more like 4.5”...... same as my rock beasts. I never used my plastic wheels, except as a spare.
I do agree about those shims, and usually needed for smoothness in both rotations.
Still a great truck.

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 11:36 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Grease and fluid at that level of kit are personal preference, on that note though, so are wheels and tires.
Xx Losungen xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 12:30 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx Losungen xX View Post
Grease and fluid at that level of kit are personal preference, on that note though, so are wheels and tires.
With the fluids I was thinking of a new person with no back stock yet to use. Wheels and tires should have been left out and lowered the retail of the kit. Vanquish retails the tire and wheels for around $119.00.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:21 PM   #7
Gold Star Baby!

I doubt we would have seen the kit price drop without wheels and tires, I consider them a freebie to get the kit to the point it only needs electronics. Can also turn around and sell them for ~ $50 which lowers the overall cost.

If they did include wheels I bet 70% would have complained they are not the ones they wanted anyway. I do wish they included a coupon for a discount on a set of VP wheels. That would have been nice.

I agree that the plastic shock towers were a disappointment as well as the original chassis braces, thankfully they fixed the latter properly.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 01:40 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pant Danza View Post
I doubt we would have seen the kit price drop without wheels and tires, I consider them a freebie to get the kit to the point it only needs electronics. Can also turn around and sell them for ~ $50 which lowers the overall cost.

If they did include wheels I bet 70% would have complained they are not the ones they wanted anyway. I do wish they included a coupon for a discount on a set of VP wheels. That would have been nice.

I agree that the plastic shock towers were a disappointment as well as the original chassis braces, thankfully they fixed the latter properly.
The plastic towers are the main reason I opted for the magnetic body mounts. At this point I have not heard if roll overs have caused the towers to break, did not want to take the chance. And yes a coupon for a wheels would have a better option than the wheels included, I'll use one of them as a spare.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:12 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Don’t worry about the shock towers or any of the kits plastic. Tough as nails, and mines been catywampus mucho times

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 02:17 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

That's good to hear!
Old 02-21-2019, 03:11 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherbs View Post
The plastic towers are the main reason I opted for the magnetic body mounts. At this point I have not heard if roll overs have caused the towers to break, did not want to take the chance. And yes a coupon for a wheels would have a better option than the wheels included, I'll use one of them as a spare.
I really can't see the shock mounts breaking. They are extremely stout, unlike the somewhat flexible mounts on similar kits. I've had several bad bumps and rolls now in my Origin but so far it's been quite impressive. The most annoying day to day thing is the access to the shocks themselves if you use the inner fenders. That's allot of screws to undo to get all four off.
Old 02-24-2019, 01:15 PM   #12

Who stocks this kit in the UK ? I have found a stockist in Germany but they want over €1100 Euro . The RRP of 899 USD should equate to 790 Eur….
Woolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 03:23 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolie View Post
Who stocks this kit in the UK ? I have found a stockist in Germany but they want over €1100 Euro . The RRP of 899 USD should equate to 790 Eur….
No idea, in the UK but bought mine from Hong Kong. Got lucky with no import fees. Worked out £727 with shipping. How the once might Pound has tumbled.
Old 02-27-2019, 03:53 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Vanquish has a 20% off sale. That discount should more than make up for shipping to the UK.
Old 02-28-2019, 12:51 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Vanquish has a 20% off sale. That discount should more than make up for shipping to the UK.
You'll get high duties buying from the US+shipping and USPS international is expensive, extremely slow and may well just lose your item then ignore information about which consignment it's in. I had to find out from Royal Mail that my parcel was still in the US, in an aircraft consignment, in a hanger. USPS denied any of this yet they filled out the paperwork for that consignment for RM to reference. All told, it's probably cheaper and less hassle from RCmart. Standard China out if Hong Kong (not EMS) post will usually have it to you in a week, often faster.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:21 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
You'll get high duties buying from the US+shipping and USPS international is expensive, extremely slow and may well just lose your item then ignore information about which consignment it's in. I had to find out from Royal Mail that my parcel was still in the US, in an aircraft consignment, in a hanger. USPS denied any of this yet they filled out the paperwork for that consignment for RM to reference. All told, it's probably cheaper and less hassle from RCmart. Standard China out if Hong Kong (not EMS) post will usually have it to you in a week, often faster.
Did not know that. I purchased a tire lathe for foam oval tires from a UK dealer. Was shipped UPS and had it in a week. Shipping was only a couple dollars more than shipping across country here. Wonder why there is such a difference? And yes when I ordered my HG P407 it arrived from Hong Kong in a week. .
Old 02-28-2019, 03:42 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Did not know that. I purchased a tire lathe for foam oval tires from a UK dealer. Was shipped UPS and had it in a week. Shipping was only a couple dollars more than shipping across country here. Wonder why there is such a difference? And yes when I ordered my HG P407 it arrived from Hong Kong in a week. .
UPS and USPS are different.
Old 02-28-2019, 03:52 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
UPS and USPS are different.
Am Aware, point UPS was less expensive on a heavier item.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:12 PM   #19

Quote:
Has the sale finished ? I couldnt see anything on their website.
Otherwise I'll try my luck with RC Mart.
Woolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 08:54 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Has the sale finished ? I couldnt see anything on their website.
Otherwise I'll try my luck with RC Mart.
Last all weekend.

Vanquish VS4-10 Review - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vanquish VS4-10 Section B-MOW71 Comments, Suggestions, and Help 16 08-17-2018 04:03 PM
Weathered Vanquish VS4 body jwalker Paint and Body 10 08-14-2018 06:39 AM
IN STOCK NOW!! Vanquish Products VS4-10. RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 07-12-2018 06:02 PM
Vanquish VS4-10 scale crawler Teng Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin 5 05-28-2018 06:15 AM