Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Sneetch's 1.9 Wraith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2018, 01:29 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Sneetch's 1.9 Wraith

Up until now I’ve only built kits and started this side of the hobby with an RTR, so I figured it was time for something different by doing a 1.9 Wraith with more emphasis on piecing things together rather than having it all sent to me in a single box. I like the Wraith cage and figured my 2.2 Wraith needed a friend cause he was getting lonely, and also so people can ask “why do you have one with big tires and one with small tires?”

To start: One Wraith cage unused from a sporty project using the AR60s it came with (also being built)

Plan on using my 1.9 Rock Beast XLs

Decided on the Pro-Line Jerp body for now, something about the stock Wraith cage just leans toward the Jeep look for me. Undecided on paint scheme for the moment.

Using the TSS “WRX10” Wraith frame rails. Ditches the giant Wraith skid for the smaller Ridgecrest skid, and new upper link mounting locations. Some bending required and while my tolerances aren’t perfect, I’ve test fitted them just fine. Target wheelbase is currently 12.3” using this setup, since that seems to work fine with the Wraith cage.

Don’t ask me why I bought these axles but dang they are just so nice to look at in person. Vanquish internals (free gear sets yay) except for stock SCX10.2 driveshafts. Clear finish because if you’re gonna have bling it should be identifiable from a mile away IMO. The SSD brass 10.2 knuckles also look great.
In the pictures I have the servo on axle mount attached but I'm probably going to try a CMS setup first. I've always seen people complaining about bump steer with the Wraith CMS kits so if it annoys me enough I'll make the change.

More to come, still have a lot to do. I'd like to get it to roller status first and foremost.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2018, 05:54 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Sneetch's 1.9 Wraith

Looks like a nice start, I'll be watching.
Crazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 03:31 PM   #3
RCC Addict

So while I was pondering as to what electronics to use I came up with a plan: I will sacrifice my old built up Deadbolt to the scale gods and siphon the parts for the 1.9 Wraith. My Deadbolt will donate the following:

1. Pro-Line Scaler shocks
2. Vanquish SCX10 Titanium Links
3. Vanquish transmission case w/ Super Shafty motor aluminum motor plate and steel internals
3. Pro Modeler BLS420 servo
4. Holmes Hobbies 35T Torquemaster Expert

This saves me another blow to the wallet and I shouldn't have any problem using these parts as far as I can see. ESC wise I will pick up a Hobbywing 1080 to save on the BEC. I'll save the chassis for another time but this move makes the most sense to me right now since I'll be using my 10.2 Cherokee as the comp truck this season. I'm still deciding on wheels so I think the KMC Grenades will stick with the Cherokee.

Old 03-19-2018, 11:35 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Tore apart the Deadbolt and started the salvaging. Put the rig in the jig and got all the links on (no panhard and drag links yet). I was able to use all the links from the Vanquish 12" WB kit while only needing to add long Jato rod ends to the rear lowers. Have another mock up picture, this time with the KMC Grenades. I like these wheels but hate having to use the Incision hubs so I won't be using them on this rig right now. Waiting for new beadlock rigs for the actual wheels to show up first.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:13 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Looking forward to seeing this build progress.
bilinvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:41 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Always love the 1.9 Wraiths, this makes me really want to get back on mine.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 09:34 PM   #7
RCC Addict

When I saw that Vanquish put out the 2.2 versions of the KMC Machetes I knew I needed them in 1.9 flavor. They've been sitting for a bit awaiting something to be put on and with some new red rings, now seems to be the perfect time:

So we all know "angry eyes" are the premier mall crawler accessory, but what if they were mounted to the roof? I'll be 3d printing the mounts for these to sit right under the roof line. The other alternative is to paint big old "Cars" style eyeballs in the windshield I suppose.

------------------------------

So for the next part, I was sitting there brainstorming ideas for the steering and maybe some of the more experienced builders can help here. I had the STRC CMS mount on and while I haven't used it yet to really experience the bump steer, I'm just trying to imagine a better option if there is one. So far I mocked the servo up like this and honestly don't see a reason as to why it couldn't work, but just ignore the panhard link for the moment as it could probably be mounted in a couple different fashions as well, I just want one there for the mock up. So a standard size servo easily fits upright between the front tubes like so, and the servo horn still has plenty of clearance:

And here is the further mock up with some suspension action.

So that's just my idea thus far, again barring the panhard link for now. Has literally anyone else tried to do a proper CMS for the Wraith or am I missing something? I searched for a bit for 1.9 Wraiths to see if anyone has tried anything but they all use the STRC/Vanquish kits or just run servo on axle, which I don't blame them.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:51 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I have a STRC CMS mount installed so the servo is vertical like your mockup. This is the best pic I have at the moment so you have to use some imagination.

The servo mount installs on the front downbars of the shock mounts. Once you install the setscrews, the mount ends up very solid. I used the screw hole that retains the front of the shock mount (the one right next to where your panhard is mocked up) with a longer screw and a 5mm spacer as the panhard mount.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 12:06 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Interesting idea as well, I'll have to try that later. Good news is that my 3d printer is up and running again so I'll probably print small stuff like the light mounts first and then go from there.
Old 03-24-2018, 02:08 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Ok so big props to svt for his idea there to turn the STRC mount horizontally, I was going to probably end up making some sort of servo mount that did a similar thing but this is way easier, and also mounting the panhard using the shock tower screw is also a great idea with only a 4-5mm spacer added. Here's some pictures to show his idea better.

----

As you can see with my current setup, there may be a bit of bump steer because the panhard has to be about 10mm longer (will get exact lengths later to post) however this looks way better than having an uneven panhard and having the servo horn changing angles with every turn. A couple thing to note:

1. Can't use the Pro-Modeler because of the taller top case, which puts the horn in the way of the panhard at full bump. Also can't shim it upwards without it running into the front cross tube of hood, however it's not a huge deal since I can use my Holmes servo instead and this is an oddly specific scenario where the PM doesn't fit.
2. Using a Traxxas steering link which is only as thick as it is threaded, which really helps the clearance. I will have bump stops in place but as you can see it is still about 2mm from the axle.
3. I will probably pick up an aftermarket steering link, as the threaded one is just there for mock up.

On a side note, currently prototyping the angry eye holder. Going for a pretty simple design right now, press fit for the eyes and slotted to zip tie it once.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:45 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Figured I really wanted to see it as a roller by today so 96 screws later + driveshafts it's finally there. Still need to actually bolt all the links in place and rebuild the shocks though, but at least it's finally on the wheels.

Old 03-26-2018, 10:03 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Going to be a lull while waiting on some parts. I plan on using Shift Hubs for the wheels so I'm waiting on a 4-40 tap to come in, they're mounted in the pic however the stainless button heads I have aren't long enough to compensate with the added center wheel hubs. I also posted in the op that I was going to use the Jeep body, but you may see the Spawn body appear on here with some modifications...I had realized my plan for the graphics may not work right with the Wraith Jeep body so that one might go to the 2.2 instead.
Old 04-01-2018, 01:27 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Here's some body shots:

Spawn body from my 2.2 Wraith, I have a clear one to paint for this 1.9 one so the blue one is just for mock-up. I like the looks however the problem to me is that it basically looks like an SCX10 since you can't see the tube work.

---

Pro-Line Jeep body, originally planned since it lets me show off the tubes but I wish the door was a normal sized half door so I could fit more of a logo on the side.

---

And this one admittedly is hard to see but I might try some internal side panels with styrene, since I've never seen that look on a Wraith before. Just another idea though.

Old 04-04-2018, 11:27 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Small progress while the weather is still forecasted for high 30s into the next week...Got some Hot Racing Wraith sway bars on for the rear, with two 6mm spacers on each side and the links at the middle setting it just clears the rear tubes behind the shocks so that works. The arms are pretty small and use some 1.5mm grub screws, so hopefully they hold up.

---

24 tapped holes later the Shift Hubs are mounted. The Vanquish scale hub gives it an extra 3mm offset. Another 44 screws loctited, oh what fun.

---

Not 100% sure if this is how much flex I want just yet, the shocks are sitting a bit higher than I'd like so I might have to take care of that before the first run or just test it first.

Last edited by Sneetches; 04-04-2018 at 11:29 PM.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:52 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

What chasiss was that jeep body originally meant for, thanks!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
rcdriftmasterj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 11:12 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdriftmasterj View Post
What chasiss was that jeep body originally meant for, thanks!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Pro-Line Axial Wraith Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (3380-00), listed as discontinued in their legacy section but you can still find it. There's also the Axial Jeep Wrangler Rock Racer body that was meant for the Poison Spyder Wraith.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:33 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Woops, didn't forget about this one but it started having to compete with other hobby time...that being said, I did finally solder up the electronics yesterday, however I ran into an issue with the Hobbywing 1080 ESC which I will detail in a second. I also 3d printed an electronics tray to use but I might make some variations to it and then reprint, but that might be a bit later since this one will work for now.

That being said, my problem with the 1080 calibration seems to be odd. I accidentally calibrated it with the wrong profile settings on my transmitter, so I had to redo it. Upon holding "set", power on, then release, the light keeps blinking until I click "set" once to set my neutral position, but it never makes the first confirmation beep and instead the light and beeps just shut off. If I hold the "set" button after powering on it will go into Programming mode, but if I try the calibration procedure again it's like the ESC just stops as soon as I press "set" the first time for neutral. I tried maybe a dozen times to get it working last night but will try to come back to it once more a bit later.
Old 05-04-2018, 02:21 PM   #18
RCC Addict

I just received a spare 1080 to test in the meantime, so I'll install this new one and see if the previous one really is messed up. If it works the rig will be drivable and I'll give it some test runs while I figure out what body to use. Then I'll try to warranty the old one with Hobbywing so I guess we'll see how their customer support is.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:37 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Here was the electronics tray that I printed up. This draft works well enough that it will probably sit in there for a bit.

---

So as I had thought the Hobbywing 1080 was bad, turns out the fix was rather simple, but very easy to overlook. I hooked up a spare axial RX and TX and the 1080 calibrated just fine, so I figured something in my settings was off. In my fresh Flysky GT3C profile I went to channel 2 and "Reversed" it, since I had been trying to calibrate it on "NOR". Fired it up and suddenly the 1080 calibrated just fine. Sooo now I have a spare 1080, which doesn't really bother me I suppose. Anyways, here's some action pics from the backyard pile, I'll need a good day I can take the 10.2 and this 1.9 Wraith out to the comp spot.

Old 05-06-2018, 06:52 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Good notes on the 1080. I have one in route so I’ll be cautious as well.

Man the Wraith on 1.9s looks mint! With the frame rails, it’s c2 legal?
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote