RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   1.9 Scale Rigs (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/1-9-scale-rigs/)
-   -   TRX4 LC70 Build (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/1-9-scale-rigs/606867-trx4-lc70-build.html)

Brian5582 03-03-2019 06:43 PM

TRX4 LC70 Build

2 Attachment(s)
Just getting back into RC after a 10 year break, I bought a Bomber for myself and a TRX4 Sport for my son the beginning of December... The bug bit me bad, probably worse than in my younger years. So after modding my Bomber pretty good it didn’t satisfy my itch (love the truck) but I wanted to build something. After running and liking my “son’s” TRX I decided I would use that platform to build off so I bought a TRX4 kit. I like Axial but liked the idea of the portal axles and the challenge of doing something somewhat different.

Attachment 379333

My dog Cooper helping me unpack and inventory parts.

Attachment 379334

Apparently that was too much work for him so I set out to the shop to start building while he caught up on his beauty sleep.

Brake Weight 03-03-2019 06:49 PM

Re: TRX4 LC70 Build

What’s that hardbody?

Brian5582 03-03-2019 06:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I started this a few weeks ago so am playing catch-up but didn’t want to post till I had some progress to show. Hopefully I don’t get my you know what slapped for post padding but for some reason I couldn’t insert more than 2 pics at a time.

Attachment 379335

Chassis built, went with some Vanquish wheels. Treal front shock towers and mid chassis brace. Made a new rear chassis brace to get rid of the stock plastic one that hangs way too low. The plan is to either hard mount the body to this or hinge it from this. Still undecided because I would like to build a interior so trying to figure out where I am going to put all the electronics and battery. I am going to run a front spool so that takes care if deleting one servo. I would like to put the battery under the hood so I can move the majority of the electrics between the frame rails but that will also kill any possibility of putting the winch under the hood. I don’t know if I want to kill my approach angle by putting the winch on the bumper. I don’t really want to put a box in the bed but it’s stll an option.

Attachment 379336

Test fitting the body, I think a small bob is likely.

Brian5582 03-03-2019 06:59 PM

Tamiya Aeromax... for a future “Dakar” inspired build

Brian5582 03-03-2019 07:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Still can’t load more than 2 pics at once :x

Marking for the cut :shock: not at the point of no return yet. Should I turn back?

Attachment 379337

Screw it, I put my big boy pants on this morning, let’s go for it...

Attachment 379338

Nothing crazy, about 7/8”. Didn’t want to have to section it twice so this will do. Better than it was. This is more or less to date. I only get a couple hours a week to play so beer with me... did I say beer? Don’t mind if I do. So I am also still trying to decide on rear shock mounting. I have mocked up and played with making a cantilever setup but I don’t know if it’s doing it for me. I have built some 1:1 trucks and am in the process of building a YJ. I am thinking of building a simple rear cage with integrated shock hoops and tire carrier. Something like you would see on a 1:1 crawler pickup. I am pretty sure that’s the way I am going. It’s a little different than most other LC70 builds and more my style. I know you can get good articulation out of cantilever setups but while this is a scale build I don’t want it to look like a factory truck. I also don’t comp at this point in time so am not trying to fit into any “rules”.

Thanks for looking. Like I said before this isn’t going to be a post a day build but I am going to try to move it along. Also I am trying to re-learn stuff as I go. It’s been a while so if you see me doing something stupid feel free to slap me in the back of the head and say wake up dummy. I also appreciate any ideas and or constructive criticism you might have so feel free to speak up. There are some very talented people here and I would be stupid not to listen.

Brian5582 03-04-2019 04:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Humpty Dumpty is back together again. Frame rails cut and drilled for rear crossmember. My DOM is supposed to be here tomorrow as long as the UPS guy feels like coming up my driveway. So hopefully I can start actually building something that you guys might actually be interested in seeing.

I also wanted to ask you guys. I am not going to have the room to do a full engine compartment but would like to make a cover for the servo and such with as much of the top of the engine as I can fit. I don’t have a 3D printer or know anybody that has one. Where can I look for a printed 22RE engine. I have found a couple by just doing a Google search but figured there bust be more. I also checked EBay but didn’t see any. It doesn’t have to be a $150 engine. I am going to end up cutting it in half and don’t mind putting some time in filling and detailing if the quality isn’t the best.

Attachment 379349

Attachment 379350

FANATICRC 03-04-2019 05:15 PM

Love it already...interested in your rear shock setup keep us posted

Brian5582 03-06-2019 04:12 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Sitting on her own weight. Obviously I am not going to be doing a cantilever suspension. Top mount gives me a little ride hight adjustability.

Attachment 379384

Attachment 379385

Getting ready to cut the bed. Measure once cut three times? I think that’s how it goes.

Attachment 379386

Got my DOM and made a bender. After I cut the bed I have to figure out my front body mounts. Then I can start on my bed cage.

JatoTheRipper 03-06-2019 04:58 PM

That's a great looking truck! I love that body. And those wheels look great with the stock tires.

Nice fab work on the shop hoops. They look awesome!

As for the engine. If you know somebody that has a 3D printer you can get the files for the 22RE from Thingiverse.
https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q...85c805f9a35210

Or if you can use something like a 2ZJ you can get a Lexan engine bay or one of the other options available from A Plastics or Demi Works.

http://driftamericarc.com/item/demi-...ate-engine-bay
https://aplastics-rc.com/store/body-...ies/engine-bay
http://www.demi-works.com/products/p...e-engine-bays/

Brian5582 03-06-2019 05:35 PM

Thanks, nothing compared to some of the fab work some people here are capable of but hopefully it will get there. Just taking my time and trying to triple check everything I do before I am committed. I have a lot of metal working experience but not used to working on stuff this small. Quite the difference going from welding 1/2”+ structural iron at work and even building my Jeep then going to this tiny stuff.

Unfortunately I don’t know of anyone with a 3D printer. I would like to get one at some point but despite the fact that I am relatively young (36) I don’t do much with computers so don’t know if I would even be able to use one without some serious learning curve. I am not going to need one for a while but it kills me to think of spending $125+ on a printed engine just to cut up. I know a lot of time goes into designing and printing them but they still seem pricey. Maybe I will try my hand at building one out of styrene. Hopefully I can finish trimming the bed tomorrow and get going on the front body mount.

Brian5582 03-07-2019 05:18 AM

Also not sure what I am going to run for tires and foams yet. My sons truck does ok on the stock tires and I cut the stock foams. It’s going to be a while till I run this thing so have some time. Was thinking Krawler T/As or Rock Beasts. As far as foams go I am lost. There wasn’t so many choices probably 12-13 years ago when I built my last truck. Was reading Crawler Innovations website... still lost but they seem to be the foam manufacturer of choice. Now just need to figure what ones hmm.

Brian5582 03-08-2019 05:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Body cut and mounted. Hopefully I can find some time tomorrow to start some tube work. Despite my best efforts I still managed to screw up 2 of my cuts some. I somehow managed to cut on my reference lines and not the cut lines so I have a couple little repairs to do. It doesn’t look horrible but the cuts towards the middle of the bed are a good 1/8” too wide on either side.

Attachment 379449

Attachment 379450

Brian5582 03-10-2019 04:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Found a couple hours to work on some tube this weekend. Still working on my brazing skills with this tiny stuff. Even with a size 0 torch tip on a full sized oxy acetylene torch I am having the tendency to over heat thus burning the flux off and making lumpy joints but I am slowly getting better.

Attachment 379481

Attachment 379482

distinctive pd 03-10-2019 06:23 PM

Great tube work on the rear"thumbsup"

travis c. 03-10-2019 06:51 PM

What he ^ said!"thumbsup"

Brian5582 03-11-2019 05:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Another hour or so tonight. Definitely going to have to find a way to get the battery as low and close to the front as possible. Some brass on the front axle is going to be a must also cause she gonna heave a heavy a** but hey fat chicks need lovin’ too. Rear tube is almost done, just have to finish up the tire carrier. Then bumpers and then I can turn to building the body. Going to do a simple bumper in the rear and probably something more substantial in the front. Probably going to do a bumper mounted winch for now and see how that works out. I would prefer to do a servo winch under the hood but I think the only way I am going to off-set the weight of the cage is going to me to run the battery there. Any suggestions on this are appreciated.

Attachment 379534

Attachment 379535

Brian5582 03-13-2019 03:32 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Looking for opinions if anyone has any input... keep the tire carrier “hoop” or loose it? If I keep it there will also be to tubes in line with the 2 legs tying the 2 cross members together. Or should I just do 1 tube with a stud through the center hole in the wheel. If I keep the hoop I will use a 3 point tire strap. I like the hoop for the scale looking factor but worry it’s getting to be too busy looking and too heavy.

Attachment 379587

Attachment 379588

Attachment 379589

Stormin2u 03-13-2019 05:37 PM

Great start, the box and tube work improve the truck's overall look. Killerbody should consider offering a short bed option. ... "thumbsup"

Brian5582 03-14-2019 08:59 AM

Thanks, I just can’t decide on the tire carrier. Think I just might do a stud trough the center hole. I can always change it later if need be but I am worried about it getting too heavy in the rear and up high. I have plans to help offset some of the weight with brass and the battery and stuff. Going to be primarily a trail truck and crawler so I don’t want it to get way too tail heavy.

jessedacri 03-14-2019 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian5582 (Post 5918460)
Thanks, I just can’t decide on the tire carrier. Think I just might do a stud trough the center hole. I can always change it later if need be but I am worried about it getting too heavy in the rear and up high. I have plans to help offset some of the weight with brass and the battery and stuff. Going to be primarily a trail truck and crawler so I don’t want it to get way too tail heavy.

Love the look of the tire back there but I've always been reluctant to run one because of weight. I feel like it negates all of the weight added up front in the setups I've done but none have been pickups. Maybe it's low enough where it makes less of a difference?

Excited to see how this turns out! I've always wanted to do an LC70 but have been deterred by the amount of modding needed to get a solid fit (and I can't weld so I feel powerless!).