Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: ANTIGACHO BP Custom GenX/SCX10 UNIMOG

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2019, 05:43 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: ANTIGACHO BP Custom GenX/SCX10 UNIMOG

Is was cleaning and refilling my Truggy shocks so I thought Is was time to build the Unimog shocks too

Pro-Line Pro-Spec Scaler Shocks (90mm-95mm)

I choose that shocks just because I like the design and colors, to be honest, I had a bad experience with the Pro-Line PowerStroke Scaler Shocks (90mm-95mm) that I had installed in my other rig they leak a lot, I have to rebuild that shock every 2 runs,

The Pro-Spec Scaler Shocks have a different seal for the shock shaft I hope that this performs better

First impression: the Pro-Spec Scaler Shocks feels a little bit stiffer but the shaft still have a smooth run, easy to build, no problem with threads

Last edited by antigacho; 07-27-2019 at 11:56 AM.
antigacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2019, 04:43 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

I received this small but expensive part: $35 USD for this little skid plate, WTF wertymade!

I don't know if it will act against performance but at least, it will provide some protection against scratches on the rear axle

Wertymade Vanquish Currie F9 Rear Skid Plate

The skid bolts on to the F9 Portal rear axle but the part that I receive just don't fit, it has some solder residues and requires some Dremel work to make it fit. I didn't expect that for such an expensive part but I don't want to deal with returns so I will keep that

Last edited by antigacho; 07-27-2019 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:50 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by antigacho View Post

I wrote to vpsupport@vanquishproducts.com explaining the situation, to see if they can help me. I had found that most of the time companies do not support to international customers, let's see what they will comment about it, I don't know if they can Help me because I ordered these parts at amain hobbies and RPP hobbies
Small update, Vanquish Customer service Replies and sent me the missing gears, Kudos for international customer support
Old 06-08-2019, 09:14 AM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Initially, I like the raw material appearance on my chassis but the real Unimog that I am trying to replicate have a black chassis, so I found a painting workshop in my city that could help me with the powder coating

4 usd later this is the result

great looking chassis, ready for scratches

Last edited by antigacho; 07-27-2019 at 12:01 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:26 AM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Some electronics still on the way but now that I have the chassis ready I can continue with the building

After assembly I notice that the geometry looks kind of weird, links seem a little bit long for the chassis

If I compare the shock position on this build with the usual SCX10II geometry is easy to notice that the shock are not perpendicular to chassis and wheelbase looks a little fit offset. that offset is more evident in the back than in the font

The difference in geometry is also noticeable if I compare this chassis next to my other rig

I don't know how it will affect the performance but now I am not sure if I should continue the building with the actual 313mm (12.3 in) wheelbase or order new links for a shorter wheelbase

According to PBC staff, this chassis should work from 11.5 inches to 12.5 inches wheelbase but in my opinion, the actual 12.3 wheelbase looks long,
Using the length of the actual links I have to mount the cab at the very front of the chassis to make it fit.

What do you think?

How to select the ideal wheelbase?

Now I face some problems
1) Select the ideal wheelbase and order the correct links size or take the risk and build under the current wheelbase
2) Order some Vanquish 350 or greater SLW Hex Hub or drill the current ones to make it fit (I found this useful tutorial for that: Drill press rim mod's with VP hubs)

I really appreciate If you can share a piece of advice on this

Last edited by antigacho; 07-27-2019 at 11:26 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:45 AM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Loving your build so far. I don’t think the long wheelbase would be a problem. A lot of people prefer a ~12” wheelbase. It makes you more stable but you will have less maneuverability. You will also drag your center skid more since the axles are further apart. Since you have a shorter wheelbase truck already it’d probably be interesting to have one a good bit longer. It’ll give you something different to drive.

As for the hubs I’ve never tried such a thing so I can’t offer feedback. Drilling aluminum shouldn’t be too terribly hard. Just take your time and make extra sure you have everything lined up perfectly.
hibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:49 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibbs View Post
Loving your build so far. I don’t think the long wheelbase would be a problem. A lot of people prefer a ~12” wheelbase. It makes you more stable but you will have less maneuverability. You will also drag your center skid more since the axles are further apart. Since you have a shorter wheelbase truck already it’d probably be interesting to have one a good bit longer. It’ll give you something different to drive.

As for the hubs I’ve never tried such a thing so I can’t offer feedback. Drilling aluminum shouldn’t be too terribly hard. Just take your time and make extra sure you have everything lined up perfectly.
Thanks for your words!

to be honest I'm not totally comfortable about how the current link-shock-axle geometry looks, in my opinion, there are 3 mistakes
1) wheelbase should be a little bit shorter 12.0 would be ideal;
2) the front shocks look too inclined, similar builds have the front shock in a vertical position. maybe I need shorter links because using the current length I have to mount the body cab at the very front of the chassis
3) axles alignment is different front and back, the front one looks more inclines

I don't know if these details are important or not I just want to mount the body a little bit back
actually, I am looking for options
Twisted Steel RC LLC will be the next try
Old 06-13-2019, 12:08 AM   #28
Quarry Creeper

this build will be in pause again =(
I have to order new links to solve the issue with the links-axle-shock geometry. this is a problem because I can't return the unused parts, international shipping is always expensive and soo slow, at least on Mexico side

another problem

the hex hubs on my wheels do not match with the portal hexes,
the silver hub is what I need the black hub is what the team DC wheel uses, totally different size and mount style

I don't know if I would be able to adapt to the hub or not. I definitely want to use a military-style wheel for this build so I have to find an alternative compatible with Vanquish SLW hub

Last edited by antigacho; 07-27-2019 at 11:20 AM.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:43 AM   #29
RCC Addict

Does the DC wheel hub just need the center hole opened up to fit on the wheel hex? They sure look like they have a 12mm hex? Or, did you need a different width hub too?
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:31 AM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
Does the DC wheel hub just need the center hole opened up to fit on the wheel hex?
I hope so, I will get some drills today to modify that wheel hex.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:25 AM   #31
Quarry Creeper

I ordered some custom size links for this rig

the most expensive pieces of threaded rod steel that I have ever bought $142.45 usd +33.60 shipping

I hope not no regret about that, I'm expecting to modify the wheelbase to 12.0 inches and decrease the inclination on the front shocks

the new links will be made by Twisted Steel RC LLC. I have been in communication via facebook with Eric. Expensive parts but great customer service so far.

I have to update the parts list.

Still waiting for the ESC ordered at RC mart (55 days in transit)
also waiting for the servo ordered at Amain hobbies (39 days in transit)

Maltida sea!!!, Correos de México es tan lento e ineficiente, problemas del tercer mundo

Last edited by antigacho; 07-27-2019 at 11:19 AM.
Old 07-03-2019, 03:56 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

I receive the ESC but unfortunately the amain parcel that included the BEC and servo is lost, fortunately, amain hobbies give support to international customers and they replace my order, that means another month waiting for electronics.

But I receive another parcel, also from amain hobbies, (I love when my friend the postman knocks the door) Some tires for my unimog

I realize that KLR/M tires are not the ideal for this project so I will pair that with SMW beadlocks and left it as spare for my rigs

I found some tires really similar to the ones used on the real Unimog that I am using as an inspiration RC4WD Mud Bashers

so let's mount it on Team DC Armory Version Beadlocks

I will use the Voodoo True 3 Stage Foams

38 little screws per wheel, so 152 screws later ...

Last edited by antigacho; 07-27-2019 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:15 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Maltida sea!!!, Correos de México es tan lento e ineficiente, problemas del tercer mundo

Jajaja.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:55 AM   #34

I love the klr-m on my mog do excellent

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
anrjch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 10:51 AM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by anrjch View Post
I love the klr-m on my mog do excellent

I finally received the foams for my KLR/M's

I also ordered the Superstition Machine Works 1.9 wheels, I'm not sure if I want to use it on my Unimog o maybe keep these tires as spare for my Truggy

Easy to install beadlock wheels

now let's mount the vanquish slw hubs

this project is in pause, despite I already ordered all the parts some parcels still on the way, and some others I am afraid they are lost, more waiting and possible some lost money, I really hate the Mexican postal service

Last edited by antigacho; 07-27-2019 at 10:59 AM.
Old 07-27-2019, 11:05 AM   #36
Quarry Creeper

You will need an 8mm nut driver for vanquish portal axles, so you want a tool machined down enough to fit inside of an slw hub

You can spend on the Vanquish 8mm nut driver with the handle or just modify a cheap tool to make it fit

I chose that option

Old 08-23-2019, 10:57 AM   #37
Quarry Creeper

The uber-expensive links from Twisted Steel RC LLC. still in the way 70 days and counting, I'm afraid they are lost but still having my fingers crossed

I need those links to set up the wheelbase length and then build the bumper, body mounts, and rolling cage.

In the other hand and regarding the winch for this project, Initially, I ordered the HeyOK Servo Winch (3-Position) at rpphobby.com that was the last June 17th but the package still in transit, so I am afraid it is lost, I hope they support me otherwise I will have lost 100 dollars for that order

Tired of waiting I decide to spend again to buy another winch, so after some research, I found the Powershift Rc Technologies PST-300 servo winch, I notice that teamknkhardware.com offers very competitive international shipping rates so I ordered the winch there, surprisingly only 14 days later I received that winch,
Here is my driver showing the new parts

Initially I ordered the BPC servo winch mount but I realize that it was impossible to find a servo mount that works specifically for this project so I decide to make one. Scratch building time!

I went to home depot and got an Electrical outlet box, I cut it out to make a couple of prototypes that do not work

Then I found a steel plate in the garbage so I bend it cut it to make the servo-winch mount, I take a lot of measures to make it fit, space for clearance is very tight

I also build a little plate to mount the BEC. next step is to make the holes for M3 screws I don´t have a bench drill just a cheap black and decker drill so I have to do my best to make precise holes. I Hope not to mess it up

Finally, I make a styrene receiver box for my electronics, I have to fit in the receiver, the lights controller and the winch controller, and some servo wires I also have to use the balloon method for waterproofing so I am afraid that this box will be a little bit small, maybe I have to build another

Now that I have all the electronics the next step will be the wiring. I also have to paint and install the custom made parts.

Thanks for visiting my boring thread

Last edited by antigacho; 08-23-2019 at 11:28 AM.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:36 PM   #38
Rock Crawler

Looking good man! Keep it up!
distinctive pd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 10:56 AM   #39
Quarry Creeper

After 97 days I finally received the steel links for this project. I really hate the service of "Correos de mexico"

Those are by far the most expensive parts ordered for this project, custom links $142.45 +33.60 shipping + $25 USD taxes = $201.05 usd
I almost feel stupid for paying so much

This is what I received:

During rod ends installation I notice a missing rod end. super expensive parts and I receive it incompleted, fortunately, I have some spares in my toolbox

High clearance links installed, using these links, the wheelbase for my project is now settled, so I can continue with the building

next steeps

- Electronics installation
- Servo winch installation adapting my custom winch mount
- Get some tools for brazing (table vise, mapp gas, welding magnets) I already have the rest of the material including a rod bender
- Design and build body mounts
- Design and build the custom bumper
- Scratch build the back of the body
- body painting
- interior design and build

a lot of work to do
Old 09-20-2019, 11:10 AM   #40
I wanna be Dave

The increased costs you are dealing with are incredible... I feel bad for you!

But they do look like good and strong links.

Will be watching the rest of your build with interest, as I love Unimogs!

durok is offline   Reply With Quote

ANTIGACHO BP Custom GenX/SCX10 UNIMOG - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Antigacho SCX10II Truggy MX antigacho Axial SCX10 II 75 05-11-2022 07:40 PM
SCX10 Unimog Fire Truck with custom light controller and lots of details prymus Axial SCX-10 5 12-05-2016 05:08 PM
SCX10, Custom Unimog OGXXXOG Scale Videos! 2 05-01-2014 06:25 PM
9 Trucks Offroading Unimog u300 M35 Custom Axial Wraith Tamiya CC01 scx10 Honcho boolean21 Scale Videos! 2 06-05-2012 07:15 PM