Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Rotn’s venture.........first build and posts in 8 years

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2019, 07:31 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Rotn’s venture.........first build and posts in 8 years

Nice job patching it back up, I've seen some children drive better than my noob friends.

Rear bumper looks nice and low profile

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 04-26-2019 at 07:35 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2019, 08:01 PM   #22
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Nice job patching it back up, I've seen some children drive better than my noob friends.

Rear bumper looks nice and low profile
Thanks! That’s just a template- I usually use left over pieces and make multiple bend pieces from them and make my mistakes there and then I’ve got a equal sized template to make the intricate stuff outta one piece. He handed me my controller and 50 bucks on the spot on his own will lol
RotnWays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 01:03 AM   #23
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotnWays View Post
Right on, next week my rr10 bomber I got for 130 bucks shows up and I’m going to start on an actually nice, all fish mouthed joint stainless steel cage on it. As soon as I get motivated enough to drive an hour to pick up my tig machine
I'm not lucky enough to have my own Tig Machine! Do have access to one at work!! So will mean working bits out at home an then welding them up at work!! 130 seems a good price for a bomber!!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
robbark34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 07:05 PM   #24
Rock Stacker

Default Rotn’s venture.........first build and posts in 8 years

So I went wheeling with it Saturday up on some granite slabs at a local spot, boy this thing can crawl, I was with a few friends, two 1.9 rigs (scx and a trx) and it just walked everything they were trying and I ended up following a buddies comp wraith, could do 7/10 lines it was taking. But onto the recent work. So. That body and the fact it has posts was really bugging me, so I decided to do another body. Products used and listed in the order it was applied
Duplicolor adhesion promoter
Roth silver, gold and a teal micro flake mixed into a teal house of kolor kandy.
Roth blue balls pearl, backed with black this is all leftovers from 1:1 custom paint jobs I did in the last few months.
Couldn’t have an all perfect body so consider that my “wabi sabi” fender. After all it is a Toyota
Pictures don’t all the way capture how this thing looks in the sun-total baller crawler.
I’ve been holding off on doing the rear bumper until the final body was ready because the first one was off about 1/16 in the rear and I didn’t want to do the bumper twice so that’s what’s happening when I get back from dinner tonight.

A member on here asked how I plan to pull the body, so I addressed that issue. Here’s how:

Cut the top of the slider mounts open, drill and tapped the sliders

Was out of button heads so these counter sink screws are just to make it all work
It swings just far enough to get that grille over the front body posts can see I smoothed out the top of body posts and they’ll get the soft side of Velcro to protect the paint. The rear will just be held down with some quality hook and hook dual lock velcro. Magnets aren’t the way too me. And everybody says Velcro doesn’t last but they use household bs, the hook and hook dual lock is guaranteed to hold 20lbs with 2 inches inch of it. Now I’ll put this on the back body posts aswell, but it’s temporary I’m going to drill and tap the sliders for some aluminum angle stock and have the hook and hook attach all the way down both doors on each side and remove the rear posts entirely once I’m ready to do interior. Might have another post ready later tonight. after I do the bumper but right now it’s whiskey and pizza time some I’m outta here

Last edited by RotnWays; 04-28-2019 at 07:29 PM.
Old 04-28-2019, 11:59 PM   #25
Pebble Pounder

Loving the colour dude

robbark34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:46 AM   #26
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbark34 View Post
Loving the colour dude

Thanks! I’m undecided, might do another kandy red with the metal flake but we will have to see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbark34 View Post
I'm not lucky enough to have my own Tig Machine! Do have access to one at work!! So will mean working bits out at home an then welding them up at work!! 130 seems a good price for a bomber!!

Yea 130 was a steal, even if it’s as beat to shit as I think it is, it does come with a ton of aluminum parts installed on it
Old 04-29-2019, 11:41 PM   #27
Rock Stacker

Man what a challenging/discouraging day it was today. I started off realizing the body just doesn’t sit right with the exo mount I had done. And that meant cutting the front mount off, the sliders and getting it all redone. So after realizing this, and staring at it angrily for half an hour. I cut it apart. On a positive it finally sits over the tires correctly, and I got the exo all back together and even started on the rear bumper. Here’s some pics of what transpired

First off here’s a builders tip I used from the 1:1 stuff I built ( just quit my job as the lead fabricator for a hotrod and kustoms shop) when mig welding and wanting to knock down welds, you need to have a gap, so that the weld flows in between the pieces and you can knock it down without compromising it. Also youll notice a piece of aluminum behind my area to welded, aluminum or brass works great to keep the weld from spilling out and you can start your weld directly into it, and it will back fill the piece that your joining, great trick to use if your doing sheet metal, or need to fill a gap that’s too large.
My new mount is just round rod welded to sheet metal then ground into a rear drop shape to be able to swing.

Since I was doing the mount over I decided to go out side the frame this time to make body mounting easier

Boy does that look better! I had already stretched wheel base but it wasn’t enough and I just didn’t want to lose capability by going even longer, and potentially want to compete with this rig so 12.5 is max and it’s just under. But goddamn do wheels correctly in wheel wells make me happy.

Next I got started on my bumper. I just couldn’t stand working 4 hours on this thing to make no progress just changes, so here’s the bumper at this point.

Just a couple 1/4 rounds welded to 3/16 rod that I then drilled for the stock 2mm bolt to catch the stock adjustable mount. Easy and clean. Much happier with that then the plastic one I had on it, ran out of gas or else i would brazed it aswell to make the joint cleaner. But I still want to add a little to the bumper. Contemplating making this into a full exo but man that would mean some figuring on mounting the rear to still unattach to swing and get the body off if necessary but still have plenty of scale details to do before I decide. That’s all for now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-30-2019, 11:36 AM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Nicely done.
valheru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 05:38 PM   #29
Rock Stacker

Got that bumper finished just now here’s how it turned out

the upper bar is 1/8 round rod, that was kinda of a pain to get the bends that tight but it worked out, on first try

Last edited by RotnWays; 04-30-2019 at 05:46 PM.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:38 PM   #30
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by valheru View Post
Nicely done.

Thanks!

Old 04-30-2019, 09:22 PM   #31
Rock Stacker

Paint dried so throwing up some
Photos cause I’m super stoked on the stance and bumper.

Old 05-09-2019, 09:20 PM   #32
Rock Stacker

Been busy on getting my new too me rr10 up to par, but here’s an update: Well after wheeling it yesterday(and nearly burning it down) it was just very apparent I was wrong in assuming the exo would give me enough weight to leave the battery in the back. I’ve seen the mod where you move the battery to just behind the transfer case. I didn’t like that lay out. If we’re putting weight forward. Let’s really try. So here’s the mount I came up with
Counter sunk for the safety of the battery

As you can see it’s just about 1/16 of an inch inside the frame
On each side, I just put a piece of aluminum of the same thickness, to raise it above the shaft going to transfer case. This is all attached to where the esc was, which will now go on top of the receiver box cover. this seems close but the yoke has no play so I’ll rock it.

Didnt forget about the almost burn down. So my very torque tekin, slipped in the motor mount, caused a bind and literally smoked the esc so bad we thought the lipo was detonating, I yanked the battery connector and I threw the truck about 20 feet into a snow drift and waited, with the exo there’s no way I’d have gotten the battery out, luckily the esc was the victim. ten minutes after swapping the servo on the trail, that stripped all the way the amazon 35 dollar 25kg just ain’t worth it. Here’s the esc, I got very lucky and I don’t know what I can do to rectify this but a rework to the exo mounting is coming and I’ll address it then.
And here’s some
Pics prior to the smoke show . I’m about to start on some lighting so more to come

Old 05-10-2019, 10:08 PM   #33
Rock Stacker

Didn’t get to lighting yet but my new electronics showed up today. Pretty happy with the cleanliness of it all installed

Old 05-12-2019, 01:18 AM   #34
Rock Stacker

Didn’t get a lot of interesting things done today. I did however realize some axial tires I have had for mock up, were actually r35 compound, so soaked them in wd40 and mounted up to my beadlocks, much more appealing size, also made some terrible Tupperware wheel wells for the front.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:27 PM   #35
Rock Stacker

Went out with the club today and did some wheeling, although it does pretty good, I feel like I’m leaving performance on the table with the link geometry, so decided to raise the rear upper link mounts and at the same time do a better set of sliders. Basically a copy of scalefabs set up, but built to work with my front swing here’s how it came out.

I started by getting one side rough cut and mounted to frame, I didn’t want to change the wheel base, so I accounted for mounting position moving back with it going up.

It’s hard to see but how I made the brackets identically was clamping the one I had made, to the steel for the other sides bracket, drilled the mounting holes and bolt them together, this allowed to me cut the other side identically, and faster then making a template, this also allowed to me drill the link mount through both, identically. I decided to raise it 1cm and moved back 2mm.

Here it is all mounted up with links, ready for sliders and mounts.

For the mounts, I took 1/4 brake line, cut sleeves, slipped over my new sliders, and tacked in place. Once tacked I brazed them, then cut the sleeve in half on the mount.

much cleaner fit then the first sliders I built for this
these were just bad design all around, but were easiest to get what I needed with the factory plastic slider mounts.

All that’s left is too drill the mounts and sliders, and then tap sliders for cap screws but my bit is dull so I’ll grab one tomorrow and mount them, then I can weld the exo to them and be done with that whole area of the truck.
Here is some pics from today’s crawl
Old 06-09-2019, 11:23 PM   #36
Rock Stacker

So it’s been a month and I’ve had this thing out multiple times and it crawls out of this world. And since the last post I’ve started a 1.55 Sami and built a 1.9 ar44 bomber and this guy was just my go slay all the lines rig,until today. It free fell about 8ish feet directly onto the stinger .
So with that I decided to grab an lc70 killer body off a buddy in the crawling group I’m apart of, so now this guys going hard body, back halved with bed sides. More to come

Last edited by RotnWays; 06-09-2019 at 11:25 PM.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:59 PM   #37
Rock Stacker

Well had a day off due to last nights weather so here’s what I got done, not much to say here’s the pics this May, or may not stay, well have to see what becomes of the front metal when I get into tomorrow night. 20190614/61a39fd40118d29aa071b0e7ced7382c.jpg[/IMG] more to come.

Last edited by RotnWays; 06-14-2019 at 12:01 AM.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:05 AM   #38
Rock Stacker

Old 06-18-2019, 08:45 AM   #39
Rock Stacker

Welp finished this up Saturday, and broke it in Sunday it won’t let me post the video but this is about 70 degrees and it made it all the way up. and that’s how it looks after one day on the granite lol

Rotn’s venture.........first build and posts in 8 years - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another Venture build by this newb odomandr HPI Venture 35 02-10-2021 01:21 PM
Rotn’s venture.....first post and built in 8 years RotnWays HPI Venture 0 04-15-2019 11:17 PM
First crawler build in 6 years team green Axial SCX10 II 27 03-24-2019 05:52 PM
My budget build Venture flat6extreme HPI Venture 7 01-31-2019 04:19 PM