Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Rotn’s venture.........first build and posts in 8 years

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2019, 09:12 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Rotn’s venture.........first build and posts in 8 years

So, I started this in HPI Venture specific 2 days ago but decided this is probably a better home for it, so here’s my build :
Hey guys, so I used to be very active in scale crawlers and this site circa 2006-2012, under the name Yota_Runner. back when we were cutting down 2.2s into 1.9s and the bb-51 on tlts was the rage. I purged all my rc stuff in 2012 and built a 1:1. Flash forward to 2017 and I’m getting way into scale trophy trucks and just pumping out chassis. Half never saw electronics just built to do it and sold off. 2 weeks ago I moved up to the mountains and decided it’s time to do another crawler this venture came up for 200 bucks in Reno not far from me last Wednesday so I got it and here’s where I’m at: so it came with no sliders, an absolutely terribly 3d printed, cracked, brass weighted front bumper mount. so I did a sheetmetal front crossmember to base the stinger off of, drilled and tapped aluminum rod for crossmember at Panhard. Very basic sliders, all of this is built from 3/16 solid, mig tacked then brazed and cleaned up to hide my non fishmouthing laziness. fjs aren’t really my thing so I did up a 91 runner. I was trying to give it some
Sun faded spots and blotchiness but failed. Outcome isn’t terrible none the less, paint is house of kolor candy wine with a metallic silver backing shot heavy to create the “effect” next was to make this thing flex a little, some g transitions set up for drop off of a gmade r1 roller I had on the shelf. Undecided on these still. built that stinger out into a bumper last night. and then my beadlocks showed up today and I decided to start a partial exo. And that’s where I’m at. I’ll post as I decide/build more on this, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by RotnWays; 04-17-2019 at 09:15 PM.
RotnWays is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2019, 09:14 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Rotn’s venture.........first build and posts in 8 years

Got a little more done on the exo tonight, ran out of rod to do passenger side too fender bar but I’ll pick some up tomorrow and finish out the front. Currently have to pull the shock towers to get the body off, but I’m planning on getting a 3d printed grille that will make it easy to slide the body in and out. Will end up painting a second body after the exo is done because I have a feeling I’m inevitably going to damage this one during the build process.
As a side thought, these axial tires are perfect size, too bad they don’t have half the traction the krawlers do, if only the krawlers were this narrow. but I’ll figure out exactly what it’ll have once the tube work is all done.

Who has done the ascender cvds? Besides filing down axle shaft, and clearance for the joint, are you able to keep both bearings on front knuckle? Thanks in advance! More to come
In a day or so.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:10 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I thought I responded to this already, but I guess not. Rig looks great!
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:32 AM   #4

Looks sick with the gold beadlocks
AaronXIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:13 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronXIV View Post
Looks sick with the gold beadlocks

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
I thought I responded to this already, but I guess not. Rig looks great!
Thanks man! Hope this build turns out as good as the start has been

Old 04-18-2019, 09:14 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Got the front exo done tonight, and some weights for my beadlocks

Old 04-19-2019, 07:42 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Painted up the exo today, and just sick of seeing that motor under the body, so I decided to build a radiator today.

just zip ties, aluminum and your choice of adhesive. Be sure to get some good deep scratches in aluminum or ain’t nothing sticking with any kind of strength. I prefer q bond for this, fast and strong

Just I perfect to glue the Stacks off the piece and adhere to the aluminum. Now that you’ve got your stacks, glue to aluminum(or what ever back you choose. And trim edges.

Now once I’ve got that done, I bevel the edges(terribly this time but eh I did this in 15 minutes.) and glue on zip tie remnant to the edges

Blamo- extra cheap and fast radiator. Obligatory photo shoot of truck now that the radiator is in, cage painted and beadlocks have been loctited so those insane little 2mm head bolts stop coming out and creating the bolt hunt from hell.

Old 04-22-2019, 09:42 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Today’s work, not much but I stretched the wheel base around 4mm. when I initially did the 4 runner body, I got the front wheels where I want them for the stretched look, that way I keep the weight far forward. And added scx10 links for the rear to stretch with the 4 link mount and got rid of the y link. Turns out with out the included washer the links are the stock venture length so I’ll use the remainders for the front. No change in flex, but considerably less torque twist. I wish there were more tun-ability on upper link locations, my set up would greatly benefit if the upper links mounted 2-3mm higher in the frame.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:18 PM   #9

Quite an amazing project, I must say! Saw your post on the Venture group on Facebook too.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
J.hyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 03:27 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.hyland View Post
Quite an amazing project, I must say! Saw your post on the Venture group on Facebook too.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
Thanks! Yea I’ve been whoring out this build quite a lot, but man this forum has gotten a lot quieter since I was last frequenting it years ago. That or this build isn’t as cool as I thought lol
Old 04-24-2019, 12:23 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Finally got to test this thing on the rocks it FORSURE needs more torque, I did order a pinion gear set but I don’t think that will be enough. I have a 21t 550 titan motor showing up today intended to go into my rr10 bomber, but might throw it in here. Although I think it will still be too fast. More torque is key but about 20% less wheel speed would add a lot as well. It still needs to be able to power hill climbs but I think 45t is in the future for this.

Old 04-24-2019, 02:35 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Your rig looks awesome dude thanks for sharing it!! Given me a little more confidence to try my own roll cage waiting on some aluminium bar to come through post

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
robbark34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 03:38 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbark34 View Post
Your rig looks awesome dude thanks for sharing it!! Given me a little more confidence to try my own roll cage waiting on some aluminium bar to come through post

Well, I did mine in steel rod (3/16) aluminum will work fine, but do note I used a welder to tack all the pieces together, if I was only brazing this, it would’ve been a lot harder to set everything. So don’t be discouraged if the aluminum gives you a hard time

Old 04-24-2019, 03:44 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

I will be welding it too it's holding it all together an in place that will do my head in!!

Old 04-24-2019, 04:28 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Nice work on the exo cage! I keep wondering how you get the body off though?

If you still want to gear down after trying the 550 and 45T motors I've made motor mount that allow you to gear down to a 10T pinion, the stock mount seems to limit it to a 14T or close to it. If you have a 3D printer you can print one for yourself Venture Max Gear down Motor Mount

I just tried out a 45T HH torquemaster and it slows it down a fair bit, I ended up using a 5 slot HH 20T which is still fairly slow and had a better low speed start up. Both had 10T pinions.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 04:41 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Default Rotn’s venture.........first build and posts in 8 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Nice work on the exo cage! I keep wondering how you get the body off though?

If you still want to gear down after trying the 550 and 45T motors I've made motor mount that allow you to gear down to a 10T pinion, the stock mount seems to limit it to a 14T or close to it. If you have a 3D printer you can print one for yourself Venture Max Gear down Motor Mount

I just tried out a 45T HH torquemaster and it slows it down a fair bit, I ended up using a 5 slot HH 20T which is still fairly slow and had a better low speed start up. Both had 10T pinions.
Haha I was waiting for someone to ask that. The exo comes off in 4 bolts, or I can unbolt front shock mounts and it (the body) slides out the back easy. I’m still working out a quicker release for the exo but I can still get batteries in and out without removing the body rather easily. I just ordered a Tekin 45t Hd - that should slow it down, make a lot more torque and less heat. I haven’t messed with the motor mount yet, hell since I’ve purchased I haven’t even pulled the motor, but when my HH gets here tomorrow I’ll see what I can do.

Last edited by RotnWays; 04-24-2019 at 10:37 PM.
Old 04-24-2019, 04:42 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I will be welding it too it's holding it all together an in place that will do my head in!!

One piece at a time and it goes together fast
Old 04-26-2019, 09:52 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotnWays View Post
One piece at a time and it goes together fast
That was my sort of plan!! I'm using a sandscorcher shell for my next project!! So may try making a internal cage an then extend out from under neath to wrap round wheel arches an make slider rails!!

Old 04-26-2019, 03:55 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quote:
That was my sort of plan!! I'm using a sandscorcher shell for my next project!! So may try making a internal cage an then extend out from under neath to wrap round wheel arches an make slider rails!!

Right on, next week my rr10 bomber I got for 130 bucks shows up and I’m going to start on an actually nice, all fish mouthed joint stainless steel cage on it. As soon as I get motivated enough to drive an hour to pick up my tig machine
Old 04-26-2019, 07:08 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

So my 45t tekin showed up today. Truck instantly got twice as capable with the ability to actually control throttle. I bought this second hand, and upon pulling the motor it looks like the previous owner put a hpi cover on what looks identical to the traxxas 21t titan I have in the package I got for my rr10 build I’m starting next week. Weird. But explains why it had such speed and lacked the torque. The craziest part is how quite it got. This tekin runs smoooth. Also he had cut the motor cover for the shaft to fit. So sugru should be good enough to fill it.

Now, prior to this-I unfortunately let my neighbor give it a shot. Within 15 seconds it went full send off a 10ft drop. Survived for the most part, the passenger side of the cage got pushed 1/8” or so back. It was never intended or supposed to fly- and it flew like a rock. So I spent 3 hours last night replaced the over fender and entire slider on passenger side. And half that time was spent with a chisel and a vice getting it all back to where it was, happily it’s actually but better then before and I decided to go gold with it- I like it a lot better.
Now since the day I decided to exo this, I knew the current body would probably get fubar, in the process of building the exo too it. After attacking the truck with a ruler, I’m glad I got another because I set the rear of this one 1/16 off. And that would kill me knowing it. So bingo blango amain got this and the tekin motor to my house next for 19 bucks. (I live roughly 100 miles from there to be fair). Worth it too me.
I did drill open the holes in the mean time and set it square, so I could started on the rear bumper in the mean time I’ll probably get that bumper done tonight or Sunday, but tomorrow I’m crawling this thing. So it’s getting re assembled with the shit body and ran.

Rotn’s venture.........first build and posts in 8 years - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another Venture build by this newb odomandr HPI Venture 35 02-10-2021 01:21 PM
Rotn’s venture.....first post and built in 8 years RotnWays HPI Venture 0 04-15-2019 11:17 PM
First crawler build in 6 years team green Axial SCX10 II 27 03-24-2019 05:52 PM
My budget build Venture flat6extreme HPI Venture 7 01-31-2019 04:19 PM