Jeep TJ Build

Parts:
MMP Potted WP
CC BEC Potted WP
Novak 18.5 (or maybe 13.5)
Savox 1210 WP Servo
Axial Alum Servo Horn
Proline Scaler Shocks
Dinky RC Rear Revo Shocks (might try to use prolines instead)
Beef Tubes front and rear
Axial OD/UD Diff Gears
Vanquish CVDs
GCM Motor Plate
GCM Transfer Case
Nikko Jeep TJ Body
Axial Chassis (RPP Hobby)
Axial Axles (RPP Hobby)
Axial Transmission (RPP Hobby)
Crawler Innovations Lil Nova Foams (soft front/med rear)
Pitbull Growler 1.9s
Motoworks LE 1.9 Black wheels
RC4WD shackles, hooks, snatch block, rearview mirror, license plate
RC4WD diamond plate sheets (not sure if I'll use this)
RC4WD LED light bar
Hot Racing Steel Gear Set
3Racing Winch (may use servo winch through this)
Custom metal work all around
Probably other stuff I forgot

hibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2015, 10:54 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Jeep TJ

I'd just like to say I'm hoping to make something as great as what others on the forums have built. My big inspiration is ser3100, Poprivet and others who've built amazing Jeeps on here. I'm leaning more toward a comp cut rear but I like the ser3100 Garageworks LJ with full flat fenders.

First thing is to get a chassis going. Got the GCM gear mounted up and decided like Poprivet, I'd make shock hoops so the motor plate can be custom positioned.

Hope to drop the interior for added realism so the drivetrain must be placed carefully. A goal is to be able to remove the doors and do tube doors so the interior gets that extra degree of awesome.

The chassis is powdercoated translucent red over metallic silver. It's a deep red metallic. Metal work will be mostly this color with a black body for the Jeep.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:49 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Some progress... Got the shock hoops brazed with a backing plate to allow for shock and motor plate mounting. It's ugly for now but I'll grind and file it into shape once I've got it sorted. The motor is quite low and reasonably rearward. I think it's one of the heaviest components so this should help stability and climbing quite a bit.

Old 05-21-2019, 08:14 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Whew, that took me a little bit. So anyway I'm back at it again.

Here is a little clean up on the shock hoops. Not entirely happy with them as I could make something that looks better. It will at least hold everything in place while I build.

Next I cut the body apart so it will have an open interior. I've always loved jeep builds like that.

Next it's time to fab some styrene for the interior so it has full depth. I'm not great with the stuff, but I think it'll be workable.

The back of the door comes out way too thin. It'll break in half for sure.

My idea is to use sheet metal for the sides and bolt it to the body. I traced the rear fender back a ways so it stretches the body just a bit. Not LJ territory but gives it more material and strength. I'm comp cutting the rear and plan to do tube flat fenders up front.

Lots of stressing about these holes coming out perfect. Close as I can get without buying a milling machine.

First hole drilled in the body

And it's all bolted up. I made 2 thin strips to go inside the body and door opening so the bolts can give a lot of reinforcement.

Strengthening by the door sill

and at the rear above the fender

Mock up pics for fun. Old bumper and cage from another Jeep I did.

I keep reading ser3100 and poprivet's threads for inspiration. I really want this to come out amazing. Hopefully next update won't take 4 years lol.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:14 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Got some more work done.

I love the flat fender look. It also allows for tons of room for big tires and articulation.

Next made a much improved tubing bender. It works for both 3/16 and 1/4" tubing. Bends good and smooth. Most importantly, because I can bend laying on the flat plate, bends are all in the same plane. Much easier to keep good and straight. First bend was too tight at 1/2" so I got a 3/4" spacer and now their much smoother.

I always want to do an ordinary build but can't help but make something unique. Went for a more wild custom look instead of a traditional squared off or sport back.

Added some details/bracing

I didn't care for the brackets on the LED bar I got so I made up some tabs to braze on.

Now for more work on the top and rear of the cage.

Next to focus on attaching cage to body with reinforcement and try to get a rear hinge setup so I can just tilt the body back. I might do tube doors too but I'm concerned with the weight. Then CMS for the first time and bumpers/sliders.

Let me know what you think.

Jeep TJ - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX10 Dingo, Jeep Rubicon, Jeep Wrangler G6 hill climb rock bouncing TAFF1969 Scale Videos! 0 07-16-2014 10:53 AM
Rigs I've built this summer Half Cab Bronco,Jeep,Jeep, Sammy madscrambler 1.9 Scale Rigs 3 09-21-2010 11:38 PM