Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: GSpeed V3 Build/help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2022, 07:55 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default GSpeed V3 Build/help

Well after being a member 9 years here, it’s finally time to build my first crawler. I’ve always wanted one, but never pulled the trigger. An Scx24 purchased out of boredom finally pushed me over the edge. Build list is as follows:

GSpeed v3
GLD servo mount
Hardcore rc links 12.3
Tgh fmm
Creeper T
Team Brood Riot SS 1850
Dravtech shorts
Ssd axles (building from scratch with all ssd parts)
Incision shafts
Plan on mamba micro x
Plan on Holmes shv800
No plan for wheels, tires or body yet.

I got the team knk hardware and the shafts in today, and most everything should be here this week, except esc and servo. I hope to document the build here, as so many of your builds are saved in my favorites and helped with the parts list.

My first question is about gearing. I’ve ordered the Kimbrough 60t spur with the locker from TGH, but I’m having a little trouble sorting which pinion to go with. Even just a brand or style to narrow my search a bit would be a huge help, then I can order a few to test.

Thanks Everyone,

Cody
ALPINEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2022, 07:01 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: GSpeed V3 Build/help

Nice start to what should be a good project!

I’d recommend Robinson racing pinion gears, and for a 60t spur I would try somewhere in the 15t range and go from there

https://www.amainhobbies.com/robinso...rp1709/p454468

I’ve also used incision pinion gears, Traxxas, axial, element… they are all pretty comparable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 08:27 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the reply! I got the 15t ordered up, and I’m sure I’ll try out some different ones when the time comes.

Chassis arrived today from Gspeed, beautiful pieces! The Hardcore RC links also showed up, color coded and Looking good. Avid bearings should arrive tomorrow, so I can get started on the assembly as time permits.

I wound up changing my plan slightly, and went with the nsdrc rs800 servo. I’ve been reading good things about it! The Mamba is also ordered along with a couple of batteries and a receiver. I had my heart set on a set of wheels that were of course out of stock everywhere, and wound up with the Vanquish Methods in clear, i like the wheel, but we’ll see how it looks. I’d also planned on a hardbody, but being my first crawler, that’s probably a lot of work to just roll over on until i figure it out, so I’ve got a cliffhanger coming as a learner. Also picked up the Hyrax in 4.73” predator to try out first.

I believe I’ll have all the bits this week or early next. I’ll have to sort out how to post some pictures at some point.
Old 01-26-2022, 09:03 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

What are you gonna run for a battery 3S or 4S? If its 4S I might start lower than a 15t, maybe a 10t-11t

I look forward to seeing the progress!

To put up pictures you can use the tapatalk app I believe if you use mobile, I use PC and an image hosting site (I use Imgur). Host the images and then copy the links in here, I think you can do that without an account if you dont want one. RCC has a size limit of 1200x900, Imgur has a simple edit feature where you can resize pics.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 01-26-2022 at 09:08 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 09:10 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
What are you gonna run for a battery 3S or 4S? If its 4S I might start lower than a 15t, maybe a 10t-11t

Valid point, I assumed the op would be running the micro x listed in the post, which is limited to 3s.

I should have looked into the gearing on the creeper t first though, that setup with a 15t pinion will be about 39:1. Useable, but definitely on the higher (speed wise) end of where I like mine to be. You may end up wanting a smaller pinion if you find it’s geared too high for your liking.

Last edited by twade984; 01-26-2022 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-26-2022, 09:11 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I use tapatalk n upload straight from my phone. If u choose 1 pic at a time, it lets u pic the size. U can keep adding pics 1 at a time to pick size. But if u pic multiple pics to upload at one time, they end up being huge.

Youve got a great start, cant wait to see how it comes along. Hopefully next week is a bit nicer n i can get some paint laid on my v3 phoenix
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 09:58 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Thanks! I will be running 3s, so I’ll get a couple more pinions on the way. 10-13 should just about cover it I think?
Old 01-27-2022, 06:10 AM   #8
Go Buckeyes!

Congrats on building your first rig! Great choice on the GSpeed V3 chassis!

Nice parts list. Good choice on the Cliffhanger body! It fits this chassis very well!

Looking forward to seeing how it all turns out!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 09:58 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Small update + photo test. Vanquish wheels, Team Brood motor, dravtechs and mamba micro x showed up today.

I got the hardcore links assembled with a 6mm socket and a pair of pliers, no big deal, but my fingers are telling me that the TGH link tool may be handy if (read: when) I build another truck. Then I got the chassis assembled and said I’d call it a night, I don’t want to rush this one. So naturally, 15 minutes later I was back at the table, mocking the creeper t onto the skid and mounting the motor. The FMM was a bit narrow on the bolt pattern, but a little filing squared that away. It looks like the motor shaft may not be long enough to get the pinion and the spur to mesh, but I may have it wrong, and we’ll cross that bridge when I have the parts in front of me.

I was studying on the upper link in the front, I assume it’ll become obvious when my axles are built, but I’m assuming it goes on the drinkers side with a short spacer?

Anywho, tomorrow I hope to build the shocks, but we’ll see if my oil shows. I’m having a blast with the build this far, lots of thinking through things, which is my favorite part of the hobby!

I got the very last of the parts coming, a couple of bumpers from IERC and 4mm bullet connectors for the motor. I’ll go to rc country or something and pick out some paint for the body when the time comes.

Let’s see if a picture or two will work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-28-2022, 07:19 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

My advise……. Get it linked up as described. Check your output angle/ pinion angle. Make certain everything clears through full suspension cycle. Done

Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 10:07 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Got a little work done on the truck tonight.

First up was building shocks, after a couple videos on the YouTube, I got it done. I learned a couple things:

1) after filling and stroking the shocks, I found letting them sit for 10-15 minutes completely removed any air bubbles. I did my last two shocks this way, and wound up redoing the first two also.

2) Always check the size of the bottle you’re buying. After some quick reading I decided to go light for my first test and went with 30wt. Knowing I’d want to change and tune, I ordered 4 bottles. 4, big bottles. Now I have 30wt for the rest of my rc career.

Next up I built the SSD axles, this with smoothly with the exception of the rear gears. For some reason that locker only came with one bolt. So hopefully I can find some in town tomorrow.

I then was able to mock it all up on the chassis. Again, I’ve never even held a 1/10 crawler, so if you see anything wrong, or have any things to look for no matter how obvious, let me know!

More to come! But man, I’m really enjoying this! I got the first HPI Savage in 2002, and have had bashers, planes, helicopters and drones in some capacity since. But I always got bored with the trucks and cars. The technical aspects of the crawler, both building and driving have me sold.

Old 01-29-2022, 07:17 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Everything looks pretty dialed to me! That’s shaping up into what should be a hell of rig

This segment of the hobby certainly has a lot aspects to keep you entertained (aka addicted)

Old 01-29-2022, 07:52 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Thank you!

No big progress today, but I got my tires in so I went ahead and mounted them. Lots of screws in those vanquish wheels! I also received my flysky noble 4, so I spent some time setting my scx 24 up with that and the furitek brushless and crawling it on the backyard course.

Servo is here, so tomorrow I hope to blow the rig apart, locktight everything, and start on the electronics install. My biggest holdup right now is that my spur and locker won’t be here until next Thursday. Can’t wait to drive this thing!

Edit: just wanted to include a picture of one of the places we frequent that I’ll be driving this thing!

Thanks,

Cody

Last edited by ALPINEX; 01-29-2022 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-30-2022, 07:56 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

A lot of work done today, just not that’s visible. I blew the thing apart, greased the axles and got locktite on everything. Huge portion of the remaining work completed.

I then got my steering servo installed. I set it up with a touch of toe out, seems to work for my big car, maybe it’ll work here.

Then I went ahead and soldered the ESC’s connector and installed that along with the receiver and ran all the wiring. I’m always excited about the prospect of super clean wiring, that always ends up in a birds nest. But it’s in, and it’s steering.

Now I’m waiting on 4mm bullets for the motor, and the spur gear from tgh and we have a driver. Body should show up this week as well! Ready to get this thing on the rocks.

Old 01-30-2022, 09:51 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINEX View Post
I’m always excited about the prospect of super clean wiring, that always ends up in a birds nest.
Man I feel that!

Looks good though, and your terrain reminds me of where I grew up north of Las Vegas.

Old 01-31-2022, 06:28 AM   #16
Go Buckeyes!

Very clean build! Great job so far!

I am running the same SSD axles on my G-rig and I found that using the GSpeed G-MP panhard mount will give more clearance when the front axle is fully compressed into the chassis. Not sure if your panhard mount is hitting the axle.

The included pic of where you'll be crawling looks like an epic spot! Can't wait to see it out on them rocks!!
Old 01-31-2022, 09:07 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Thanks everyone! I’ll check on the panhard, but I didn’t notice it hitting, very close fit.

The picture is from just south of Fallon NV at sand mountain. A place we camp often with the RZR. It’ll be nice to have the crawler handy for breaks on long rides. Luckily I live in Napa Co, so tons of local crawl spots around home too.

A little work on the truck today, I got the bumpers from ierc in and installed, nice pieces. I also got the motor leads soldered up and the esc programmed.

Then we headed up to rc country and grabbed some paint and I got the body painted and rough cut. My mounts should show up soon I hope. Paint job is a solid 3 out of 10, but the purpose of this body is to protect the chassis. When I learn what the truck can and can’t accept and don’t roll it so often I’ll paint up a nicer body or go hardbody.

Just waiting on a spur gear and locker from TGH and this thing is ready for testing! Should be here tomorrow.

It looks like we’re at 4lbs 7oz. But reading others weights, I’m doubting my scale a touch.

Old 02-01-2022, 09:34 AM   #18
Go Buckeyes!

The Cliffhanger paint job looks great! From here I'd give it a solid 8 or 9! It'll be the perfect body to go out and learn what the G-rig will do.

That's cool you have so many places near you to go out crawl. That area looks great!
Old 02-01-2022, 07:00 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Thanks B-Mow. I checked the panhard, looks like I have some clearance there. I’ll keep an eye on things though.

She crawls! Spur gear showed up this afternoon, and I couldn’t resist taking it out front for a quick test in the front yard. I have nothing to compare it to, but this thing sure is a monster. Nothing out there really was much trouble, but I did manage to find some cool lines.

I programmed my esc per Holmes recommendation, but found the throttle came in way to quick, so I wound up putting a throttle curve in the TX. I also programmed the aux wire to control drag brake on a dial, this won’t be a trailer truck, based on what I’ve read about the overdrive, but it’s nice to turn the brake off for maneuvering between obstacles.

My tires aren’t vented, using stock foams and I was seeing plenty of compliance, but I think I’d like to try vented, any input there? I plan to crawl with these foams a while, but also want to try out to CI foams.

Here’s a couple pics. Hopefully my body mounts show up in the near future and I can get this thing out for a proper crawl!

Old 02-03-2022, 05:51 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

Got the truck out for its first decent crawl today, checked out a couple of spots, but didn’t really find what I was looking for. I’ve been hearing and reading about an old comp spot here at the lake, but I think I missed it in my adventures today.

Was still able to get two batteries through the truck, and get the first big scratches on the body.

Really impressed with the truck, I’ve nothing to compare it too, but it found traction and climbed some lines I thought it would never make.

GSpeed V3 Build/help - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First (non kit) build - GSpeed v1/c1 realtorrob 1.9 Scale Rigs 33 10-26-2021 10:28 AM
Gspeed build transmission help Lovetoclown 1.9 Scale Rigs 5 09-09-2021 08:59 PM
V3-C3 Gspeed V3 Class 3 build TK421 1.9 Scale Rigs 14 06-21-2021 02:24 PM
LightWeight GSpeed V2 Build! scxguy Axial SCX-10 1 04-02-2019 06:40 PM