Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Struhall's C2 SCX10.2 Hilux

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2017, 12:52 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Struhall's C2 SCX10.2 Hilux

Figured I am far enough along to finally show off my newest truck.

I picked up a SCX10.2 chassis with a Tamiya Hilux body a few months ago. Traded for a NB TJ project I was working on.

I made the deal then got sent pics of the doors cut off the truck and the guy doing more work but I still did the trade and it gave me more reason to do something a little different. It already had a bob job and full drop bed nearly completed by the previous owner.

These are the pics he sent me after he cut the doors.

And this is when it first landed on my desk.

Already had a Dinky RC cantilever rear suspension to clear the drop bed.

I traded the stock trans for an OG trans because of the room I needed. The original trans was flipped to make room for the drop bed and took up way too much room for my full interior plans so it had to go.

I'm running a Holmes BRXL with a Holmes 40t and Castle Creations BEC I picked up from Eddie at Crawler Innovations. I cut down on the stock battery tray and made a super simple angle bracket to hold the ESC, BEC and RX up front. Fits my 1600 battery perfect under it.

I wanted to have a rusty, beat up truck that looked like something you would actually see on the trails. I didn't want a garage queen (like the one I'm building for my wife) or something that looked like it rolled down the mountain and stayed there for 100 years. First time doing the salt technique and I feel like I got it almost perfect.

I think I got it pretty good because my wife saw it and said she loved it and she normally doesn't care one way or another. You can also see the 1.9 IROK tires on RC4WD steel beadlocks with Crawler Innovations foams. The front bumper was made by Gavin Ayala and it looks great. I made sure to make the doors look like they were used and abused. The driver side door "sags" like normal on a truck this old and both of them don't exactly close correctly. If the PO didn't cut them out I would not have made this effort but I feel like it's that small little step I did to make it my way but will probably go unnoticed by most people.

Near future plans are to get it finished and ready to drive. I have a small list of items to get and/or finish and it will be done. I plan to make the wheels rust and match the look of the body. I need to get windows and all the lights sorted out. I already have the LEDs for the lights but I plan to get a HeyOK light controller once I figure out exactly my needs.

Last edited by struhall; 06-11-2019 at 09:02 PM. Reason: long post, lots of room for error...
struhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2017, 01:18 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Struhall's C2 SCX10.2 Hilux

mate, it looks great. can you explain the ''how too'' of the salt effect for me please?

It could be how I am imagining it, but I could be totally wrong.
rs10man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:24 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I got the body work finished and then painted it with brown primer for the rust color. Once it was dry I misted it with water and sprinkled salt on everything. I made sure to put more in the areas that needed more rust like the dents and above the fenders and front of the hood. After that was dry I sprayed the color I wanted on top of the salt like you see in the pics. When that was dry I washed and scrubbed and wiped the salt away. I sanded it with scotch brite to get the surface as even as possible then sprayed flat clear over everything to get rid of any shine that was left.

I used regular table salt but I think it may have done better with bigger pieces of sea salt. Mine was really rough and took a good but of sanding to come close to a normal surface.

You can find how to videos on YouTube. That's what I did and after a few I figured it had the idea right. Worst case I would have to resand and start again.
Old 08-06-2017, 04:22 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I can't take credit for the fenders being cut and honestly I didn't even notice it until you said something. They are just a tiny bit smaller than my other Hilux body but not enough that I saw it. That had to have been done by the previous owner.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:35 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Got to take her out on her maiden voyage today. And I picked a name for her. I'm calling her Carmen, I was talking with a friend about the good luck I had getting the truck and he said it's Karma and not luck so it stuck.

I used an old tinted window I had laying around so I could at least get her looking normal. The light lenses came in Thursday but I haven't had a chance to install them.

Still needs some work on the body mount system, the magnets came off the post and need redone. And the motor is too slow, it was slower than a walking pace at full throttle. I'm going to either change motors or go to 3s or 4s.

Took her to the local hiking trails and did some driving and the very little bit of crawling I could find.

My wife wanted to go out and hide her painted rocks and I joked that we could put them in the back of the truck.

Just a little more as we were getting ready to leave.

Also got my son to drive it a bit. He's 4 and loves the trucks but never goes out to the woods to play. He has a broken New Bright TJ that he pushes all around the house.

Old 05-22-2019, 08:27 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Been a busy year and a half for me with my dad passing away, my daughter being born and working too much at my job to pay attention and do any updates to this thread. It's been over a year since I updated anything in here.

Picked up a new set of wheels and tires and Crawler Innovations foams. Grabbed a set of Vanquish VS4 wheels from a guy locally. I used CI Lil Nova 4.50 with soft front and medium rear foams.

Lights have been installed for a long time, I just never took pics.

Also got to attend several of the Crawler Innovations new Activated Outlaw events and got some good driving time in.

YouTube link

In the video I have a different bumper with a winch but it severely affected my approach angle so I got rid of it and went back to the old bumper.

Last edited by struhall; 05-22-2019 at 08:38 PM.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:31 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Pretty sure this is the right way to embed the video.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:00 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Got some more stuff done to the Hilux. I dropped it off with Mr Gavin Ayala and told him I needed a set of sliders. I always hated the plastic I was running and since he built the front bumper I got him to build my sliders. I told him what I needed, just a simple bar and we ended up going with delrin on the bottom.

Gavin also painted the bumper to match.

Good shot with the body lifted away. 3 attachment points to the chassis so it's going to be super strong.

One of the things we discussed was adding a bracket to bolt the body to the slider. The way my body was modified before me and what I did to fix it the joint between the cab and bed is weak and I was breaking it every single event.

We didn't set up courses for the scalers because by the end of the day we just wanted to play. We did a good bit of follow the leader down one of the full sized trails. I added a bunch of rock rash and scratches to the body. She gets better looking every time I take her out and scratch it up.

This has become my go to truck for any event. She climbs everything I point it at and stays planted over anything. I have done stuff with this truck that I didnt expect to make it and it keeps surprising me every time I take it out.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:56 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Looks like a fun little truck! That Gavin is getting pretty crafty with his welder.... I think those wheels use the same bolt pattern as the LURC rings. Make certain I am right before you order up but I think a proper ring with additional bolts would help bring that look in for you... Keep us updated Sir... Sorry about your loss. I lost my old man 2 years ago and its hard....
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 11:01 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaclip View Post
Looks like a fun little truck! That Gavin is getting pretty crafty with his welder.... I think those wheels use the same bolt pattern as the LURC rings. Make certain I am right before you order up but I think a proper ring with additional bolts would help bring that look in for you... Keep us updated Sir... Sorry about your loss. I lost my old man 2 years ago and its hard....
Thanks man. It sucks but I'm making it happen.

I have another set of wheels with the same foams and tires. I already wanted to do some playing around to see if I could narrow it up just a bit. I'll lose a little stability but it will look better. I'll just have to experiment and see what happens. Hopefully the little bit of extra weight helps with what I lose in width.

SSD 1.9 D Hole wheels, 1.9 Rock Beast and Crawler Innovations foams on my Bronco for now.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:29 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I think the SSD wheel and tire combo will look really nice on the truck. Post up some pics when you get them swapped over
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 03:51 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaclip View Post
I think the SSD wheel and tire combo will look really nice on the truck. Post up some pics when you get them swapped over
Got the wheels swapped over a couple days ago. Figured I would post a pic. The new wheels narrowed me 1/2 in overall down to 9in outside to outside. The truck looks more realistic now and I didnt notice any difference at the get together this weekend. I was able to clear a couple gates easier than some though so it counts. Also was able to pull off my first perfect score for the day. All 3 courses with a -20 score. Once the videos are edited I'll post them up too.

Old 07-23-2019, 12:53 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Bump!
This build needs more support!
For such a simple drivetrain and build this Toyota climbs anything you can get the front tires on! With the rusted body and beat bed this Toyota looks awesome!

Pictures of when I built the front bumper and sliders.

Gavin Ayala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 12:56 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Continued

Old 07-23-2019, 12:58 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

More

Old 07-23-2019, 01:36 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

As Jamie already posted about the sliders I will explain less and post more pics.
I built the sliders light weight, bolt on to chassis, and as a body mount.

#GreatStateOfTexas

1/16 delrin

Old 07-23-2019, 01:38 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Pic heavy

Old 07-23-2019, 01:43 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Great looking Toyota!

You can see the tab with body bolted to it.

#greatstateoftexas #RockBeast

Old 07-23-2019, 01:47 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

#RockBeast

Sliders and bumper painted with grey steele it 3 coats 6 hour dry time between coats.

Old 07-23-2019, 01:49 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

No bumper or sliders.

Installed looking nice!

Struhall's C2 SCX10.2 Hilux - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rc4wd trailfinder 2 axial scx10 hilux scx10 rubicon jeep TAFF1969 Scale Videos! 0 03-08-2016 07:11 AM
Struhall's almost a build thread struhall 1.9 Scale Rigs 4 07-03-2015 01:58 PM