Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs
Loading

Notices

Thread: Codyboy builds a TRX4/VS4-10 builders Chassis

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2019, 06:21 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave
 
CODYBOY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Oakridge
Posts: 2,991
Default Codyboy builds a TRX4/VS4-10 builders Chassis

Not quite sure where to put this, So I guess this will work. If not would a mod please move it to the best site! . I tried these axles on a Toyzuki V2 chassis and just couldn't quite get it right. Don't get me wrong, They are great chassis, and I was advised to get a V3 chassis for these axles but try as I may I couldn't find one!

So thought I'd try the VS4-10 Chassis. I built the axle with these low profile C-hub and knuckles. Seem to be built quite well (we'll see).









And fully assembled on the Toyzuki Chassis That I pass on to Washington!




Since I don't have the Toyzuki motor mount any longer I needed to build my own. Because of the 2.2:1 reduction in the Trx4 axles I'm not going to use a tranny. Direct drive to a transfer case.



Trying to get spacings and mounting brackets figured out.






All for now, I need to get out my setup rack and figure out links for a 12.3 axle spacing. Thanks for looking.

Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 07-09-2019 at 06:39 PM.
CODYBOY is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2019, 07:39 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Deep in the Everglades
Posts: 4,690
Default Codyboy builds a TRX4/VS4-10 builders Chassis

Josh did one but no transfer case. If i remember links were stock length except for panhard and drag link with VS4 skid


Ernie are you using xt60ís instead of bullets?

Hang up and Drive

Last edited by mikemcE; 07-09-2019 at 07:41 PM.
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 07:47 PM   #3
Go Buckeyes!
 
B-MOW71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Mid-Ohio
Posts: 1,030
Default Re: Codyboy builds a TRX4/VS4-10 builders Chassis

This looks like itís going to be a cool build! Looking forward to seeing how the direct drive will work with this chassis.

Liked and Subscribed!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:00 PM   #4
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Clackamas
Posts: 1,891
Default Re: Codyboy builds a TRX4/VS4-10 builders Chassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Josh did one but no transfer case. If i remember links were stock length except for panhard and drag link with VS4 skid


Ernie are you using xt60ís instead of bullets?

Hang up and Drive

I remember the same link choice for trx-4/vs4-10 combo.

Should be a fun watch and learn build like all of Ernie's builds.
hillbillyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:08 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave
 
CODYBOY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Oakridge
Posts: 2,991
Default Re: Codyboy builds a TRX4/VS4-10 builders Chassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Josh did one but no transfer case. If i remember links were stock length except for panhard and drag link with VS4 skid


Ernie are you using xt60ís instead of bullets?

Hang up and Drive
I saw his build, but he never got back to us on weather he could get the gearing right with that trany. I've used this formula before with success so we will see. I use them for my brushed motors. The front links are just for mock up, I will head up to Lunsford's shop next week and get some 1/8" scale Ti turn buckles to replace them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
This looks like itís going to be a cool build! Looking forward to seeing how the direct drive will work with this chassis.

Liked and Subscribed!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Me too, sometimes I get crazy and step out of the box a little!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyrc View Post
I remember the same link choice for trx-4/vs4-10 combo.

Should be a fun watch and learn build like all of Ernie's builds.
Thanks young man, I moved the Skid forward a little so all the links are different sizes. Kind of playing with the weight bias a little.


Got it on the setup frame.





!2.5"







More tomorrow. By the way, I'm working on this while I'm waiting for my Enduro builders kit, when it come this build will probably slow down a little.

Thanks for looking,
Ernie
CODYBOY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:26 AM   #6
RCC Addict
 
Voodoobrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: My mothers basement
Posts: 1,307
Default Re: Codyboy builds a TRX4/VS4-10 builders Chassis

If you go 13/56 with an atlas transfer case you will be 50:1. You can definatly skip the transmission depending heavily on the spur pinion combo and the final drive ratio you are after.

The great thing is guess work is not required, its all just math.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:47 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave
 
CODYBOY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Oakridge
Posts: 2,991
Default Re: Codyboy builds a TRX4/VS4-10 builders Chassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
If you go 13/56 with an atlas transfer case you will be 50:1. You can definatly skip the transmission depending heavily on the spur pinion combo and the final drive ratio you are after.

The great thing is guess work is not required, its all just math.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Like!
I'm going to stay with 48 Pitch spur and pinion, and if I need a little more durability I'll switch to 32 pitch.


Getting the Motor mount drilled and ready to paint.



Painted and installed, built the shaft from the motor to the GCM T case.










And just a side note, I clearance the knuckle on the shaft and everything roll amazingly free, no binding anyplace even at full compression!

Last edited by CODYBOY; 07-10-2019 at 04:01 PM.
CODYBOY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:04 AM   #8
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 1,676
Default Re: Codyboy builds a TRX4/VS4-10 builders Chassis

Looks good, that angle of thar shaft though. Maybe its just the camera angle? That white spacer is very nice looking. Make it yourself?
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:15 AM   #9
Tiny Truck Hoarder
 
HumboldtEF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Humboldt county
Posts: 2,348
Default Re: Codyboy builds a TRX4/VS4-10 builders Chassis

That does seem like a pretty steep angle. I wonder if it would be possible to shorten the shaft off the back of the spur gear so that you can have a longer driveshaft with less steep of an angle, just a thought.
HumboldtEF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:58 AM   #10
RCC Addict
 
Voodoobrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: My mothers basement
Posts: 1,307
Default Re: Codyboy builds a TRX4/VS4-10 builders Chassis

That white Teflon thingy looks heavy.
You can use an ax10 top shaft there for the spur to make it shorter.
Do you have a 3d printer?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Voodoobrew; 07-11-2019 at 02:00 AM.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:54 AM   #11
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: The OC
Posts: 1,562
Default Re: Codyboy builds a TRX4/VS4-10 builders Chassis

Ernie does it the hard-way.
Very creative!
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:58 AM   #12
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Ocala, Florida, USA
Posts: 906
Default Re: Codyboy builds a TRX4/VS4-10 builders Chassis

This thing looks awesome Ernie! Can't wait to see what comes of it.
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:17 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave
 
CODYBOY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Oakridge
Posts: 2,991
Default Re: Codyboy builds a TRX4/VS4-10 builders Chassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gula View Post
Looks good, that angle of thar shaft though. Maybe its just the camera angle? That white spacer is very nice looking. Make it yourself?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
That does seem like a pretty steep angle. I wonder if it would be possible to shorten the shaft off the back of the spur gear so that you can have a longer driveshaft with less steep of an angle, just a thought.
Good idea Casey if I have problems binding that will be the first change I make!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
Ernie does it the hard-way.
Very creative!
It seems that with my engineering skills "Ernie's" way is most often the hard way!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHippie View Post
This thing looks awesome Ernie! Can't wait to see what comes of it.
Thanks Justin, are you building new foams yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
That white Teflon thingy looks heavy.
You can use an ax10 top shaft there for the spur to make it shorter.
Do you have a 3d printer?



Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I put a lot of time into making that shaft, and it rotates very smooth so I think I'm staying with it for now. The white is some rod I found at our local salvage yard, (a Delron sp maybe) very little weight to it, and it machines very nicely! 3D printer? At 70 I don't need the frustration of trying to learn a new program to feed one of those things!!! I envy those of you who are mastering them!!!!

Thanks for the input guys!
Ernie
CODYBOY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:26 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave
 
CODYBOY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Oakridge
Posts: 2,991
Default Re: Codyboy builds a TRX4/VS4-10 builders Chassis

Just a little side note here, I have issued this Challenge in a couple other threads I'm active in so thought I would include it here. I know that a lot of you viewing this have already accepted and that is a testament to how many great people we have at this site!!!

Ok guys, it's time to step up and help a fellow RCC contributor! allanon1965 needs a little help from us, I challenge all my friends on here to meet or beat my donation to his GO fund me account. I promise it will make your day!!!

If you haven't seen it, here is his story:
My CTS turned into a stroke???

Ernie

Link to fund: http://link.email.dynect.net/link.ph...CNo1xOKJRHXYts

"Codyboy Designs"
"Lunsford Racing"

Last edited by CODYBOY; 07-11-2019 at 10:09 PM.
CODYBOY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:54 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Deep in the Everglades
Posts: 4,690
Default Re: Codyboy builds a TRX4/VS4-10 builders Chassis

Step up and help Tim and his wife.....


Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:01 PM   #16
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Ocala, Florida, USA
Posts: 906
Default Re: Codyboy builds a TRX4/VS4-10 builders Chassis

I have been working on a set. I met a really cool guy now a good friend the last time I went out to the local trail. He has fostered 4 different kids and now has adopted 3 siblings. They bought him a Scx10-2 for Father's day (red Jeep in my July 4th video) He has no budget to upgrade his crawler with, but loves the hobby. He was having a hard time keeping up with the other rigs. Due to his tires not getting any grip. So I figured since you had sent me so much. That I would help out another. I took the big inners that were in the growlers that you sent, cut them down and wrapped them with the green outer foam. Then put them inside the iRoks (kinda worn but better then the RTR tires he has) and put them on the wheels you sent with the growlers. I still have two to go, but have until the 21st when we go crawling for my birthday to get them done. Just passing it forward trying to help where I can. Here's a pic of what I have going.


AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:23 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave
 
CODYBOY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Oakridge
Posts: 2,991
Default Re: Codyboy builds a TRX4/VS4-10 builders Chassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHippie View Post
I have been working on a set. I met a really cool guy now a good friend the last time I went out to the local trail. He has fostered 4 different kids and now has adopted 3 siblings. They bought him a Scx10-2 for Father's day (red Jeep in my July 4th video) He has no budget to upgrade his crawler with, but loves the hobby. He was having a hard time keeping up with the other rigs. Due to his tires not getting any grip. So I figured since you had sent me so much. That I would help out another. I took the big inners that were in the growlers that you sent, cut them down and wrapped them with the green outer foam. Then put them inside the iRoks (kinda worn but better then the RTR tires he has) and put them on the wheels you sent with the growlers. I still have two to go, but have until the 21st when we go crawling for my birthday to get them done. Just passing it forward trying to help where I can. Here's a pic of what I have going.



Passing it forward, I'm proud of you!!! If you need anymore let me know.
Ernie
CODYBOY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:22 PM   #18
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Land of burning couches
Posts: 872
Default Re: Codyboy builds a TRX4/VS4-10 builders Chassis

awesome!
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 02:26 PM   #19
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Ocala, Florida, USA
Posts: 906
Default Re: Codyboy builds a TRX4/VS4-10 builders Chassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Passing it forward, I'm proud of you!!! If you need anymore let me know.
Ernie
I try to pass it forward anytime I can in my day to day, but this is the first opportunity I've had to help a brother crawler out. Thank you again Ernie! Looking forward to your next trip to Florida
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 11:42 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave
 
CODYBOY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Oakridge
Posts: 2,991
Default Re: Codyboy builds a TRX4/VS4-10 builders Chassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHippie View Post
I try to pass it forward anytime I can in my day to day, but this is the first opportunity I've had to help a brother crawler out. Thank you again Ernie! Looking forward to your next trip to Florida

I know that you and Kayla both do!


Ok a little up date photo time:



Body and bumper I think I will use.





Thanks for taking a look!
Ernie
CODYBOY is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply



Codyboy builds a TRX4/VS4-10 builders Chassis - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tekin Builds - VS4-10 Origin Black Ty@Tekin Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin 21 06-20-2019 12:24 PM
Crazy Builds a VS4-10 Black. CRAZYACE63 Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin 16 03-25-2019 05:13 PM
Trx4 axles used on builds trascall10 Traxxas TRX-4 6 03-23-2019 01:23 PM
Codyboy Rebuilds His TRX4 "BULLDOG" CODYBOY Traxxas TRX-4 184 10-09-2018 09:57 AM
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com