RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   1.9 Scale Rigs (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/1-9-scale-rigs/)
-   -   topherBuilds Toyzuki v2.5 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/1-9-scale-rigs/610237-topherbuilds-toyzuki-v2-5-a.html)

Topher Builds 07-13-2019 08:44 PM

topherBuilds Toyzuki v2.5

5 Attachment(s)
It’s about time I started a thread for this build. This all started back at the beginning of the year here... http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial...-10-2-kit.html

I picked up a Cherokee kit, built it with the intention of tearing it down when I got the toyzuki parts together but when it came time I was having too much fun with the 10.2 and decided to keep it together. Enter the toyzuki scratch build.

JimRC on Facebook got me sorted out with all the chassis pieces. I picked up the toyzuki kit, 2.5 t case, all gears, bearings, and driveshafts from him. Went with SSD diamonds for the axles and a Proline Ambush for the body. Considering a hard body before comp season.

Originally I intended on making this a detailed build thread showing the assembly process but those pics and notes are all buried at this point. The build was delayed a few weeks trying to get the links worked out but after ordering a set from Hardcore RC everything went together smoothly.

Parts List:
Toyzuki chassis with 2.5 t case
SSD Diamond Axles
SSD Brass Knuckles
Samix Brass c-hubs
Vanquish ripper front bumper
Ssd narrow rear bumper
Hardcore RC 12.5” links
Beef tips
Mamba x
Castle slate 2280kv (soon to be puller stubby)
HH hv500v2 servo
Flysky gt5 radio
Traxxas GTS shocks with ptfe and tin coating
SSD 1.9 Doubletime beadlocks
CI lil novas
Cut traxxas canyon crawlers (new tires soon)
Custom sliders from IssuedLVScalers

A video from the first shakedown and some pics below:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QvOLB_xywmA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

B-MOW71 07-13-2019 09:18 PM

Re: topherBuilds Toyzuki v2.5

Sure is a sweet looking build![emoji106]

The Toyzuki is one chassis that I’ve always wanted to build, but kept getting pushed down the list when other builds became more important at the time.

There is quite a few people in my area that run this chassis and they perform very well.

Small world we live in! I know JimRC. He has a sweet indoor rock crawling course at his house and trails and courses outside as well. He is a great guy! Glad to hear he could get you all squared away.

Oh and I see your running them super duper special cut and siped TRX-4 tires too![emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Topher Builds 07-14-2019 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-MOW71 (Post 5949985)
Sure is a sweet looking build![emoji106]

The Toyzuki is one chassis that I’ve always wanted to build, but kept getting pushed down the list when other builds became more important at the time.

There is quite a few people in my area that run this chassis and they perform very well.

Small world we live in! I know JimRC. He has a sweet indoor rock crawling course at his house and trails and courses outside as well. He is a great guy! Glad to hear he could get you all squared away.

Oh and I see your running them super duper special cut and siped TRX-4 tires too![emoji106]

That’s real cool! He was great to work with, made the whole parts gathering process much easier. Having and indoor and an outdoor course at home would be sweet.

And I’ve been meaning to pick out a new tire for this truck, will likely end up with some voodoos but I’m not in a rush, these have been getting the job done "thumbsup".

This has by far been my slowest progressing build but worthwhile. The game changer 4 is next on deck, it will be interesting to see how the two of them compare. Whichever build performs better will be my comp truck for my rookie season :shock:

Topher Builds 09-14-2019 10:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quick update here. I was able to pick up some KLR X4’s in the red compound and got them mounted up in the toyzuki. Hoping to get out tomorrow to start breaking em in.

Also added a little firmer spring in the rear and spaced the pan hard a tad to clear up some suspension issues.

Thinking about repainting the body next, maybe a winch too

calcagno45 09-15-2019 07:43 AM

Nice job sir! The 2.5 looks great

stimpy 05-06-2020 07:19 AM

Great build!.. I have a Toyzuki too that ashamedly has been on the bench for a couple years....

Couple of questions; mine is a V2, what’s the difference % wise re the overdrive do you know? Also how did you find the X4s? I have a pair in Gold to try.... Have heard they are better when all the internal ribbing is cut / sanded out...

Thanks

EDIT: Found out the V2.5 is a whopping 44% OD !! That sounds like an awful lot!...

Still interested to see how you found them tyres and what foams you used...

Topher Builds 08-24-2020 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 6020054)
Great build!.. I have a Toyzuki too that ashamedly has been on the bench for a couple years....

Couple of questions; mine is a V2, what’s the difference % wise re the overdrive do you know? Also how did you find the X4s? I have a pair in Gold to try.... Have heard they are better when all the internal ribbing is cut / sanded out...

Thanks

EDIT: Found out the V2.5 is a whopping 44% OD !! That sounds like an awful lot!...

Still interested to see how you found them tyres and what foams you used...

Sorry Stimpy! Didn’t see this response till now.

The X4’s were grippy but too tall and skinny for my preference. I was running some narrowed crazy crawler foams in there, they did well for the tread but the tire would still fold a little with how tall and skinny it was.

As a general update, I sold this chassis a while ago not long after building it so I won’t have any other updates for this one.