Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Scale bumpers and chassis braces

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2019, 02:50 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Scale bumpers and chassis braces

Don't know if this is the right place for this, if not, sorry to the mods.

Finally got a cbe rc fab switchback chassis and want to make some custom bumpers for it, I've got some 4.7mm mild steel rod and some 1mm stainless and 1.5mm mild steel sheet.

I've been looking online at ideas and can't really find any front bumpers that are simple enough for me to do as this will be my first time doing this from scratch.

I'm going to do a simple 2 bar rear bumper to give the rear some strength, thinking of doing something similar for the front.

Want to use the steel sheet for support between the shocks and mount electronics and to help brace the flex of the chassis.

Any ideas for a front bumper would be greatly appreciated, pics, scribbles, drawings, all welcome!

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk
lordjasper1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2019, 08:22 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Scale bumpers and chassis braces

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordjasper1988 View Post
Don't know if this is the right place for this, if not, sorry to the mods.

Finally got a cbe rc fab switchback chassis and want to make some custom bumpers for it, I've got some 4.7mm mild steel rod and some 1mm stainless and 1.5mm mild steel sheet.

I've been looking online at ideas and can't really find any front bumpers that are simple enough for me to do as this will be my first time doing this from scratch.

I'm going to do a simple 2 bar rear bumper to give the rear some strength, thinking of doing something similar for the front.

Want to use the steel sheet for support between the shocks and mount electronics and to help brace the flex of the chassis.

Any ideas for a front bumper would be greatly appreciated, pics, scribbles, drawings, all welcome!

Hey buddy metalwork is so much fun! Read through my old build I tried it give explanation for how I do it.

Hibbs' Hilux v2.0

I’d suggest starting with a tube bumper. You have to “fishmouth” the tubing or solid rod to have them merge cleanly at joints. A round file about 1/4” (6mm) in diameter or thereabouts will work.

I usually cut a couple tabs and drill holes to attach them to the frame. Then I braze the tubing to that. Once you get a starting point just build up from there. Are you planning on brazing or welding? When I first started I just cut scraps and brazed them together. It’s a bit of a learning curve. Getting braze to stick isn’t too hard but doing it neatly takes practice.

What tools do you have so far? I’d be happy to try and help you. Feel free to PM me and I can answer you more specifically if it’s help.
hibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:44 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Scale bumpers and chassis braces

Hey man, I have no brazing or welding kit, so I'll have to borrow it, but I'm probably gunna weld it, I was thinking of starting from tabs, but didn't think of fishmouthing, thanks! Know I want to make a bed for the back and possibly a frame or cage for the front.

lordjasper1988 is offline   Reply With Quote

Scale bumpers and chassis braces - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chassis Braces help fasa_00 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 4 05-17-2009 01:48 AM
how to make chassis braces, i need some help gemiller General Crawlers 2 04-15-2005 09:09 AM