Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs
Loading

Notices

Thread: •Project Lo-Do•

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2019, 12:42 AM   #141
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Santa Maria, CA
Posts: 1,321
Default Re: •Project Lo-Do•

Don't rush to the patent office just yet...

Some plastic p-clamp/cable clamp/adel clamps look like they'd work perfect for your hinge, using the existing screw hole on top of that bumper mount. Even these cheap ones have held up much better than I thought they would: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-...5UVB/202878268
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2019, 04:50 AM   #142
Quarry Creeper
 
Stollenritter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 282
Default Re: •Project Lo-Do•

Hi Dez,
Great project on a honorable intent! Kudos to you!
I have been in a similar mom/neighbor situation with a neighbors kid by just replacing a broken brake lever on his bike. Brake lever from the parts bin. His Mom wanted to pay for it. And this was just about an old, worn, outdated brake lever. I can imagine how a Mom reacts on a multi-hundred dollar toy. Johnnys Mom could never afford such an expensive toy and she will not be indepted to you. You have to find an arrangement with her which is suitable for both of you. Maybe you call Johnnys rig your loaner and Johnny can adpot it and take care of it under your supervision. He can drive it around with you and wrench on it. He can take it home for show and tell but without batteries. So Batteries stay save at your place.
Anyway, keep on the good work and keep your spirits up!
Stollenritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 01:50 PM   #143
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
 
dezfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Happiness is a warm AK.
Posts: 12,335
Default Re: •Project Lo-Do•

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
Don't rush to the patent office just yet...

Some plastic p-clamp/cable clamp/adel clamps look like they'd work perfect for your hinge, using the existing screw hole on top of that bumper mount. Even these cheap ones have held up much better than I thought they would: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-...5UVB/202878268
What!?

You want me to spend another $2.00?

Preposterous!🤣

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stollenritter View Post
Hi Dez,
Great project on a honorable intent! Kudos to you!
I have been in a similar mom/neighbor situation with a neighbors kid by just replacing a broken brake lever on his bike. Brake lever from the parts bin. His Mom wanted to pay for it. And this was just about an old, worn, outdated brake lever. I can imagine how a Mom reacts on a multi-hundred dollar toy. Johnnys Mom could never afford such an expensive toy and she will not be indepted to you. You have to find an arrangement with her which is suitable for both of you. Maybe you call Johnnys rig your loaner and Johnny can adpot it and take care of it under your supervision. He can drive it around with you and wrench on it. He can take it home for show and tell but without batteries. So Batteries stay save at your place.
Anyway, keep on the good work and keep your spirits up!
I understand Mom’s position better now. It’s something I never took into consideration.

But it’s all good. However it works out. Johnny will have a rig to drive and potential own if we can figure out a means upon which are agreeable to Mom and Johnny.

If he wishes to learn to wrench on Lo-Do, I’ll show him how to.

At this point, I had fun building a new rig and surprised myself how nice it turned out for such a minimal investment.

Johnny will have a rig to drive and be involved with as much or as little as he and Mom are comfortable with, and I learned a few things as well.

If the situation ever presents itself again, I’ll approach Mom/Dad up front and get their input and approval.

As it is, Lo-Do should be 100% complete this week if my schedule allows me a few hours to address the last few minor things that need attention.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:44 AM   #144
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Camberley, uk
Posts: 25
Default Re: •Project Lo-Do•

Superb work, that is a really nice looking rig. I am positive that a person as caring as yourself will find a way to let the lad enjoy the truck without upsetting or making his mother feel awkward. It is so good to see people doing something for other and so selflessly. My hat is doffed to you sir.
CarlC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:15 PM   #145
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: N.Wales.
Posts: 69
Default Re: •Project Lo-Do•

Plus one with CarlC.. my hat has been in permanent doffing mode since the start of this.
M and M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 05:54 PM   #146
MEOW
 
Natedog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wackifornia
Posts: 11,726
Default Re: •Project Lo-Do•

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Great story, thanks for passing the hobby on to someone less fortunate -
Giving him something to do that takes him outdoors instead of the typical TV and video games that kids do these days!
X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyrc View Post
...Would be a great option to get my son in the hobby and off his Xbox.
Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
I use the Tapatalk app on my smartphone. It’s where my pics are anyway. Paid the couple dollar annual fee and load away on the pics. They host them.
Was wondering what was up with your pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
Next was the $10.88 “Hobbywing” 1060.

I’m pretty sure it’s a knock off, but I’m not sure? It came in a sealed plastic bag as you see it. No instructions, no Hobbywing box, decals, etc...

The main thing I had been waiting for, was an Injora “pre painted” half cab Ford F100.

It’s a printed PVC body, and I think for the money ($27.49 shipped and the fact that I didn’t have to paint it) it looks great.

And what better color for Project Lo-Do than RCC and/or money green!

A490-B1-C3-0-ECE-48-F5-8860-14945-CCDEB19

2362-DAE8-B4-D5-4-DD5-AFBB-2809-E4567056

F46-EE5-F7-CF1-E-42-CE-B55-C-35-DC08-C992-D2
Not a Hobbywing, but as you said as long as it works. Love that Ford cab and the colors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
Which one do you guys like better?

9-AF094-C9-7-B91-447-B-B40-F-3269995-D5-BBF
The CrossRC cage back that you chose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
Think it would look cool with the bed sides around the cage. Then use the excess lexan to inclose the open areas for a drop bed inisde the cage


Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
Anyways, I got back out in the shop this afternoon and got a little more work done on Lo-Do.

Got the cage mostly attached to the body. Just need to grab some fuel tubing to fill the gap at the top between the cab and the cage.

And lopped off about 1 1/4 inches off the rear of the frame.
RC aircraft linkage rod housing comes in diameters/colors, cheap, easily cut to length and more beef than fuel line. I've got a piece for my cage lengthening on K10, will either sleeve it with black heatshrink or paint it black.

Frame trim looks mo better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
Yea, after a little reflection, I can understand. Mom’s just being a Mom. I’m cool with that.

In the end, it’s probably better as I can supervise and help.

Who knows what would happen if it was to go home and there was not an adault around. I know how destructive my friends and I where with our stuff.

My Uncle used to call us “The Destroyers”. 🤣
Yep, probably better with supervision anyways.

LOL, ya back before we knew what we were doing, we ruined some of our dad's tools for sure! "The Destroyers"
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:05 PM   #147
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Deep South
Posts: 2,965
Default Re: •Project Lo-Do•

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
X2




Was wondering what was up with your pictures.






What are they doing?
Brake Weight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 12:06 AM   #148
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
 
dezfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Happiness is a warm AK.
Posts: 12,335
Default Re: •Project Lo-Do•

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlC View Post
Superb work, that is a really nice looking rig. I am positive that a person as caring as yourself will find a way to let the lad enjoy the truck without upsetting or making his mother feel awkward. It is so good to see people doing something for other and so selflessly. My hat is doffed to you sir.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M and M View Post
Plus one with CarlC.. my hat has been in permanent doffing mode since the start of this.
Thank you as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
X2



Yep



Was wondering what was up with your pictures.



Not a Hobbywing, but as you said as long as it works. Love that Ford cab and the colors!



The CrossRC cage back that you chose!







RC aircraft linkage rod housing comes in diameters/colors, cheap, easily cut to length and more beef than fuel line. I've got a piece for my cage lengthening on K10, will either sleeve it with black heatshrink or paint it black.

Frame trim looks mo better!



Yep, probably better with supervision anyways.

LOL, ya back before we knew what we were doing, we ruined some of our dad's tools for sure! "The Destroyers"
Thanks for your input Nate. 👍🏼

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
What are they doing?
All of the pics from early in the thread were lost when TinyPic (owned by Photobucket unbeknownst by me) bitvghe dust. 😡

Been super busy traveling the last 4-5 days, not much time to work on the Crawlers.

But I did get a bit of time this evening.

As I mentioned before the steering set up needed a bit of adjustment on the Injora chassis.

The upper links on the front of the rig are slightly to long causing front axle to tilt forward a bit and messing with the castor geometry. I shortened the upper links about 5mm (removing little from each end of the link and shortening the threaded insert that attaches the rod end).

Steering is much better now.

I also added a few shims to the steering drag link to correct the excessive toe in.

About it for now.

I’ll try to get pics up tomorrow...
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



•Project Lo-Do• - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Start of a new Deadbolt project. Lets call it Project: Cheapbolt Prime Axial SCX-10 211 01-07-2017 10:53 AM
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com