Notices

Thread: New Project for my Bro

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2019, 06:10 AM   #81
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: New Project for my Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodapop View Post
How did the Injora chassis perform. I have no problems with mine and I only intend to replace bits as break otherwise keep it as bought.
It did very well. I geared down at the motor pinion and also swapped out the shocks for some softer sprung units. It was cleaning lines that it really had no right to - especially with the snow and ice.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2020, 06:38 AM   #82
Pebble Pounder

Mewalsh, how is your Brother's crawler holding up? I met up with my Marine Bro yesterday and did some trails and rock crawling. So far so good, the Injora is holding up well, especially after some hard running. Hoping for a comp soon so we can really see what it can do.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
mv1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 08:10 AM   #83
I wanna be Dave

It's holding up great MV! He's done a few trail runs on his own since he was up to visit. He's had no issues. When he was up and I gave it to him, we ran hard in the snow. Since he was learning, and the rocks and trails were slick with snow and Ice, the rig took more than a few hard tumbles and hits. The plastic shrugged them off in spite of the cold. The most he sustained was a broken rear light on the roof rack, and some scrapes and scratches to the body. Here's a pic from one of our sessions on my backyard trails. We got out about a half dozen times while he was up. He had a blast.
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2020, 12:22 PM   #84
Slow is the new Fast

Fun picture. Captures the scene well. Maybe the hands get cold and the tire traction leaves much to be desired, but there is no denying winter is beautiful.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 02:04 PM   #85
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
Fun picture. Captures the scene well. Maybe the hands get cold and the tire traction leaves much to be desired, but there is no denying winter is beautiful.

It was beautiful. We had a blast. It was about 10 degrees and the wind was up, not sure what it was with windchill. I busted out the full Carhart suit and and some fleece lined gloves. Tx feel wasn't great, but it was more about having fun than anything. In point of fact, it was so cold, that when we'd open a beer it would immediately begin to slush up. Awesome time tho!
Old 01-10-2020, 08:20 PM   #86
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
It's holding up great MV! He's done a few trail runs on his own since he was up to visit. He's had no issues. When he was up and I gave it to him, we ran hard in the snow. Since he was learning, and the rocks and trails were slick with snow and Ice, the rig took more than a few hard tumbles and hits. The plastic shrugged them off in spite of the cold. The most he sustained was a broken rear light on the roof rack, and some scrapes and scratches to the body. Here's a pic from one of our sessions on my backyard trails. We got out about a half dozen times while he was up. He had a blast.
Great to hear your Bro's crawler is holding up. Love that winterland pic
As crazy as it sounds, I miss that cold weather I had fun with in North Georgia and Tennessee.
Old 01-10-2020, 11:16 PM   #87
Slow is the new Fast

Default Re: New Project for my

Hilarious, cold brews in frigid wind chills! You guys are hardcore. Adverse conditions are definitely good for memories and bonding moments. Ever try Short fingered gloves? They can be really helpful for keeping the hands warmer( especially when the beer 🍺 s are cold)
Old 01-11-2020, 06:56 AM   #88
I wanna be Dave

MV - is that silver rig a Cross? I really like the looks of it! Truth be told, I may b:-tch about the snow and cold periodically, but I know I’d miss the seasonal change. I especially love Fall in my neck of the woods.

Smog - I’ll have to check some out. Any recommendations?
Old 01-12-2020, 02:44 PM   #89
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
MV - is that silver rig a Cross? I really like the looks of it! Truth be told, I may b:-tch about the snow and cold periodically, but I know I’d miss the seasonal change. I especially love Fall in my neck of the woods.

It sure is, rtr Demon FR4, picked it up cheap during the holidays on flea bay. Not bad, holding up well, gotta change out the stock tires for some Deep Woods.
Old 01-12-2020, 03:30 PM   #90
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:

Not really. They aren't overly common. I picked a pair up at a local workwear store called Mark's Work Warehouse.

hobbyjumper, a member here on RCC is actually prototyping a mitt that fits over the throttle hand and transmitter and leaves the wheel exposed. I think it could be brilliant. My kid and I were out today for an hour and a half. The only thing that got cold was my left hand(and the lipo).
Old 01-12-2020, 05:05 PM   #91
RCC Addict

Some years ago when I was up in Ohio at Christmas, I had an idea for a heated transmitter. That then became an idea for developing a heating element that could be used with any transmitter. Then I came back to Texas and didn't think much about it anymore.

Great pic, walsh.. glad your brother is enjoying it!
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 06:30 PM   #92
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
Some years ago when I was up in Ohio at Christmas, I had an idea for a heated transmitter. That then became an idea for developing a heating element that could be used with any transmitter. Then I came back to Texas and didn't think much about it anymore.

Great pic, walsh.. glad your brother is enjoying it!
Yeah, not much need for a heated Transmitter or Mitten in Texas - most of the year at least. Spend a lot of time in DFW, Houston, San Antonio and Austin for work.

Crawling potential looks great in Hill Country!
Old 01-12-2020, 11:47 PM   #93

That snow wheeling looks like a blast
Thompson311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 05:59 AM   #94
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thompson311 View Post
That snow wheeling looks like a blast
It was great. Snow crawling is entirely dependent on the type of snow. The light powdery stuff at the right depth is perfect, and that’s what we had. Just enough to make features I ordinarily clean with no problem a lot more interesting.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:46 AM   #95

That snow crawling does look like a blast!
JatoTheRipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 05:32 PM   #96
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
That snow crawling does look like a blast!
I gotta say Jato, it was a hoot. We were cracking up hitting and trying lines, freezing our a—es off, but having a blast! I haven’t really snow crawled since I first got in to the hobby. It helps when the snow conditions are right, which they were. I’ll be doing more of it as conditions allow.

I posted some more pics from our session in the Winter Blues thread. General Crawlers I think?
Old 03-04-2020, 06:53 PM   #97
Pebble Pounder

How's your Brother's crawler holding up? Have you guys been to any comps with it? Just checking up on you mewalsh, hope all is well!

Old 03-08-2020, 10:33 AM   #98
I wanna be Dave

Great build, and even better story!
Very cool thing you did and its what makes this hobby so great.
I'm building up my fleet and almost att he point I can pass something forward soon to the right person.
Almost.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 05:13 AM   #99
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mv1985 View Post
How's your Brother's crawler holding up? Have you guys been to any comps with it? Just checking up on you mewalsh, hope all is well!

His rig is still going strong mv. A few more battle scars and scrapes, but no mechanicals. He has not done any comps, but he's run now with some other guys he met closer to home. Sounds like a good group and we have plans to run together the next time I get down to his place.

What about the one you did for your Bro? Has he comped his? Honestly, I think between it and a licensed SCX10ii, it would simply come down to the driver.

Last edited by mewalsh100; 03-17-2020 at 05:33 AM.
Old 03-17-2020, 05:15 AM   #100
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
Great build, and even better story!
Very cool thing you did and its what makes this hobby so great.
I'm building up my fleet and almost att he point I can pass something forward soon to the right person.
Almost.

Thanks for the comments Shinchu!

It was a great feeling to be able to let him know it was all his. Based on his static modeling experience, he also knew how much attention and TLC I put in to it to get it headed in the right direction "scale factor" wise. I wanted to get it just far enough to where he could take it and really run with it.

New Project for my Bro - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bro dozer bongsten 1.9 Scale Rigs 40 12-24-2016 06:51 PM
Yeah Bro johnnyt Chit Chat 1 01-08-2011 06:03 AM