Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Spare parts build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2019, 09:10 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Spare parts build

I'll be documenting this build primarily on my Instagram feed. Started rooting through the parts bin and kicking around ideas. Decided to do a Wroncho type build. Power plant will be Holmes Hobbies BLE and a 3300kv Puller Pro Stubby. I'm going to try and make this project as interesting as possible and using as many existing parts that I can versus buying them.

I started out with standard Axial SCX10 chassis rails and some 313mm links that I had. Got to work playing with link lengths and rod end lengths until I got it where I wanted it. Pinion angles are perfect and with some longer rod ends and spacers it's sitting a little over 1/2" longer than stock. Running these longer travel King shocks that I had, but added a droop kit to get the ride height where I wanted. Suspension actuates well and zero binding. The only potential issue is the rear AR60 truss hits the chassis rail just prior to full flex. Not a huge deal, but I'm thinking I'm going to abbreviate the rear chassis rails right behind the rear cross member. This would then allow for full flex all the way around.

Initial plan was to roll a Power Wagon body. I think the old school style will compliment this build well. With that in mind, I threw my Trophy Rat body on top of the chassis just to get an idea as they're a bit similar. I'm really liking it and have decided to go that direction. I don't think I've seen another crawler with a Trophy Rat body!

Check out my Insta feed and stay tuned!
Attached Images

mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2019, 09:42 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Spare parts build

Do you have a link to your Instagram page?

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:43 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Are you going to stay with the 2.2 sized tires?

Old 11-11-2019, 11:11 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX-D View Post
Do you have a link to your Instagram page?

MaX-D - my Instagram page link is in my signature here on RCC. It's mewalsh100, just like here.

Those are actually 1.9 BFG Krawlers / Predator compound. Pretty sure that's what I'm going to run on this rig.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:21 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
MaX-D - my Instagram page link is in my signature here on RCC. It's mewalsh100, just like here.

Those are actually 1.9 BFG Krawlers / Predator compound. Pretty sure that's what I'm going to run on this rig.
Cool, thanks. I use Tapatalk and signatures don't show up. I will definitely check out your Instagram page though

Old 11-11-2019, 11:22 AM   #6
Slow is the new Fast

That thing looks Bomber!! I really like that body a lot. Might have to harvest that for a future build. You have put a really nice patina on it
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 11:45 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
That thing looks Bomber!! I really like that body a lot. Might have to harvest that for a future build. You have put a really nice patina on it

Thanks smog! A long way to go with the build, but I'm in no hurry now that the weather is headed South.
Old 11-11-2019, 01:15 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX-D View Post
Cool, thanks. I use Tapatalk and signatures don't show up. I will definitely check out your Instagram page though

Sounds good. Gimme a like and a follow! Thanks MaX!
Old 11-11-2019, 02:41 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Very nice! Chassis shots? I had a heck of a time with the drive shaft binding when I attempted a wroncho
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 04:52 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Very nice! Chassis shots? I had a heck of a time with the drive shaft binding when I attempted a wroncho
Don’t count me lucky on that yet! I don’t have the drivetrain or driveshafts installed yet. Line of sight looks good while flexing the suspension though.

I did also swap / flop the axles so it’s a straight, or at least straighter shot back from the trans outputs to the pinions.
Old 11-12-2019, 07:06 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quick update - I ended up swapping and flopping the axles back. After playing around with some mock-up drive shafts, the straighter shot back was actually going to cause more interference with the upper links. I also removed the straight upper links and went with some bent upper links. This then necessitated changing link ends and playing with some spacers to get the pinion angles correct again and ensure no binding. Looks good so far. I'll update again when I get the trans and driveshafts installed.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:27 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Ok - grabbed this trans and driveshaft from the parts bin. I think I'm going to be good with this configuration. The high clearance upper links definitely help. 1st pic is clearance with the rig just sitting. 2nd pic is showing full flex to the pinion / drive side. Plenty of daylight between them and zero binding.
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2019, 02:24 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Hanz and his twin brother Franz are getting anxious to wheel their new rig! Hanz, with the beard, is driving. Franz, who rocks the pork-chops and soul-patch is navigator. They're quite a team.
Attached Images

Old 11-18-2019, 06:00 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
Hanz and his twin brother Franz are getting anxious to wheel their new rig! Hanz, with the beard, is driving. Franz, who rocks the pork-chops and soul-patch is navigator. They're quite a team.
Hanz and Franz, I love it! Great build as always mewalsh, wouldn't expect anything less from you.
mv1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 07:49 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mv1985 View Post
Hanz and Franz, I love it! Great build as always mewalsh, wouldn't expect anything less from you.
Thanks mv! Made some more progress last night. I’ll be posting some updates to the ‘grams today.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:23 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

She's alive! The PP 3300kv gives her some scoot too. I had to make a few changes to the original plan. My math must have been off on final drive ratio with the HR Low CG trans. The reduction was just too much. Even with the max pinion size I could run, the rig was topped out at a medium walk. I ended up throwing in a standard SCX/AX trans that I had from another build. Much,much better - she gets after it!

I also relocated the Rx box up front so I wouldn't need to use extender cables for the servo and esc - added benefit of more weight up front as well, so it's all good.

I did concede and purchased these boat-side sliders from Scaler Fab. I wasn't sure I was going to run sliders on this rig at all, but as of now they're on and I'm liking them. They can always find there way on to another rig if I change my mind.

Still getting the body sorted, so it'll be a bit before I get a full shakedown run in, but based on my quick driveway and side yard run, she's gonna be rowdy!
Attached Images

Old 11-22-2019, 12:07 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

I got the new Wroncho Rat body sprayed up last night and test fitted the cock-pit for Hanz and Franz! ( I didn't wanna steal the original Rat body from the actual Trophy Rat).

I still need to get to lighting and do some sort of fuel cell for the rear deck along with other miscellaneous stuff to bring her up to speed. There was a lot of subtle trimming that went on to really get this body working on this chassis and "flowing". Not obvious stuff until you look at the original Rat body. Pleased so far though.
Attached Images

Last edited by mewalsh100; 11-22-2019 at 12:09 PM.

Spare parts build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A spare parts build. phillysteak33 Redcat Crawlers 5 10-29-2018 08:33 PM
Spare parts build into whatever it becomes Pavmentsurfer Axial SCX-10 5 03-30-2015 10:52 PM
Spare Parts Build thzero Illinois 9 12-16-2011 09:27 PM
Spare parts build max power Non Crawler RC's 5 10-28-2008 01:38 PM
Spare parts build.... ddiaz10240 1.9 Scale Rigs 1 08-26-2008 11:30 PM