Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: 1BadJeepBruisers Chino Clone. An RCC Legend

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2007, 10:20 AM   #81
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eviltwin_52s
Hey Mike the Double Diamond Plate looks sweet, I almost bought some of that myself. Looking really good can't wait to see it finished up. Something else that you can do is just put like a button as some toolboxes just have a button on the outside and the lid just pops up.
As for a latch before you diamond plate the sides if you drill a hole for some stainless steel piano wire through and on the lid you just drill a hole in a small piece of styrene. Then from the hole take an Xacto knife just cut a "V" to the edge. This piece will then just lock onto the small rod and hold the lid down. Just like scale 1/24 and 1/25 model builders do to hold the doors shut. This process I would also use on your Doors on the other Mounty (opener).
Bart, you have so much damn information I need to talk to you on the phone about this stuff, that idea sounds good, but its a lil fuzzy trying to picture it...

The button on the tool box lid sounds like a good idea, might just do that if all else fails
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2007, 11:20 AM   #82
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser
Bart, you have so much damn information I need to talk to you on the phone about this stuff, that idea sounds good, but its a lil fuzzy trying to picture it...

The button on the tool box lid sounds like a good idea, might just do that if all else fails
Mike sent you a PM, you are more then welcome to reach out to me by phone. I am always willing to share different techniques. It doens't help others to learn if you don't share.
I like to play fair in the Sandbox... LOL
Eviltwin_52s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 11:32 AM   #83
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eviltwin_52s
Mike sent you a PM, you are more then welcome to reach out to me by phone. I am always willing to share different techniques. It doens't help others to learn if you don't share.
I like to play fair in the Sandbox... LOL
HAHA Thanks Bart, Ill ttyl tonight
Old 03-01-2007, 01:26 PM   #84
Rock Crawler

Default .

hinges

there was a place on jericho in commack that sold doll house building supplies

if you can find the hinges you can ca them on the inside and notch the lid and the box

so only the pivot point of the hinge is showing

instead of velco maybe some of those snap's you see on baby clothes instead of buttons

hinges like these maybe

http://cgi.ebay.com/10-pcs-Doll-Hous...QQcmdZViewItem

type doll house hinge in the search for other options
tmaxxking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 02:06 PM   #85
Sinking with the ship

I actually have those hinges at home.. my mom knew I wanted to hinge the doors on the body, and while out of state found those at a craft store. they are TINY... Ill see what happens with it, im goonna talk to Bart tonight and go from there.

Thanks for the help though
Old 03-01-2007, 02:21 PM   #86
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmaxxking1
hinges

there was a place on jericho in commack that sold doll house building supplies

if you can find the hinges you can ca them on the inside and notch the lid and the box

so only the pivot point of the hinge is showing

instead of velco maybe some of those snap's you see on baby clothes instead of buttons

hinges like these maybe

http://cgi.ebay.com/10-pcs-Doll-Hous...QQcmdZViewItem

type doll house hinge in the search for other options
I have used hinges like that on my 1/18th scale diecast stuff they work really well. The only issue is that the ones I have the brass is really soft and bends really easily.

Mike I have been using the Aircraft Hinges that are made out of Nylon. CA them in place and you are good. If you knotch the lid on the toolbox and countersink them just enough you can lay a really thin piece of styrene over the hinge and hide it.. WaLA Hidden Hinge and only the Pivot shows.

I will do my best to explain the lock process. I think you will like it and it is extremely simple.
Eviltwin_52s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 06:35 PM   #87
Oppan Gangnam Style

Heres what I did for the latch and hinges. Not near as clean or nice as eviltwins stuff but it works. The latch on mine held tight when it rolled at least 15-20 times down a hill before Slinky Sam was able to catch up to it and stop it.

Here is the latch. I cut a groove into the inside of the box for the latch to catch on. The latch bolt hole is slotted for adjustment.

chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 06:57 PM   #88
Rock Crawler

looks really good!
andres-tavares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 07:36 PM   #89
Sinking with the ship

AWESOME Dean, between you and Bart I am going all out on this thing now I wanted to work on this and talk some with Bart, but I had a damn dentist appointment after work and now that I am finally home...the gf wants me over and 2morow is Jeffs b-day and we are doing dinner and stuff so I probably wont be able to work on it till sunday :-(
Old 03-05-2007, 11:11 AM   #90
Sinking with the ship

Default small update

I had some time to work on this on Sunday in between working on Kevin's interior. I picked up a lathe motor on the way back from my dads house for breakfast, so while waiting for some paint to dry on the interior, I took apart and chucked it up on the lathe

I have been racing clod busters for many years competitively and finally opted to get a lathe and start tuning my own motors. I will tell you this, there is no such thing as a TUNED motor, weather its a 20$ or 100$ the comms always have run out. So with every new motor, I take them apart and cut them right away

here it is after 2 passes...see the red

turn it over to the other side...no red.. so have to cut a little bit more

End result, a nice true comm
clean out the comm grooves with a sharp exacto.. spray it down with some motor clean, spray out the motor can,slap it back together, make sure the shims are good (if not shim it properly), check the hood alignment, install the brushes (check the spring guage) drop of oil on each bearing. Drop it in the stand with the fan blade on it, adjust them timing and break it in.

Installed it in a fresh pede trans from Brandon with 12/87 gearing.

I had to move my top links to the inside of the mounts to clear the drive shaft, I then had to much triangulation and the link ends were binding so I spacer them out at the axle end with some cone washers. I also started marking up the drive shafts, gotta cut and extend

Brandon hooked me up with some turned down tlt shock bodies, so I through on the caps, chucked them up in the press and shaved down the top to match with a file, hit them with some 600 paper, then some 1200 then washed them really well, primered them and laid some white paint on them. Now sporting dual shocks

I wet sanded the bed with some 1200 earlier during the week, so hit it with another coat and then some clear...pretty shiney and I havent even wet sanded and polished yet.

through on a set of tail lights to get an idea, I have 3mm leads im going to install with some sharpee markered new lenses

I also finished the hood and the one fender on the cab, wet sanded the rest and through another coat of brown and for some reason the windshield corner bubbled up so I scrap it off and am letting it cure ...AGAIN...and Ill have to wet sand and respray..

my original plan was to drop the floor of the interior, make a trans tunnel hump and a real dash etc...but I cant even get the body low enough at this point...I think if I grind the crap out of the top of the trans, ill be ok, the spur sits far enough foward that itll end up under the bed area...so I will see how much I can drop the interior floor and if its worth it...

well thats if for now... more to come

ooo and a sneak peak at the next project...check out that soft top MOCRAWLER417 is the man to see for your soft top needs
its just like the ORCRC write up

Old 03-05-2007, 11:42 AM   #91
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser
ooo and a sneak peak at the next project...check out that soft top MOCRAWLER417 is the man to see for your soft top needs.
oh hell yes, EB with a soft top on bb-51, I am stoked now.
Unimoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 12:05 PM   #92
20K Club

All that sick work on the Yota and all Moger says is nice bronco........sheesh, haha.

The toyota is look awesome, I am in love with your wheel and tire combo. Shocks look great on there too.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 01:38 PM   #93
Rock Crawler

Looking good man.

Can't wait for the next project as well. I am partial to Broncs. Be starting my own scale Bronc soon .
SMFtwstdHICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 01:58 PM   #94
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706
All that sick work on the Yota and all Moger says is nice bronco........sheesh, haha.
I have already posted in this thread about how sick the yota work is, Mike is a good friend of mine and he knows I was just excited about his new build too.
Unimoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 03:18 PM   #95
Im Brandon

Looks killer mike, glad you got the trans and shocks. Now to buy like 4 more parma sticker sheets for the rest of the rancho stickers
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 03:21 PM   #96
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nluvwithxlr8ing
Looks killer mike, glad you got the trans and shocks. Now to buy like 4 more parma sticker sheets for the rest of the rancho stickers
ahaha I know right? I have like 7 sheets all missing just those stickers Thanks again for the deal dude!

Mike
Old 03-05-2007, 04:05 PM   #97
[HOONIGAN]

Looking great Mike. The yota is continueing it's bad azzness. The bronco is going to be sweet, those soft tops are really something else, I love them.
Wrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 04:20 PM   #98
Pebble Pounder

Nice progress Mike ....hey there is a set of "KEYS" layin there just incase your looking for um...
juggsterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 04:34 PM   #99
I joined the Band!

this thing is soo sick dude
bronco brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 05:45 PM   #100
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggsterr
Nice progress Mike ....hey there is a set of "KEYS" layin there just incase your looking for um...
LMAO WWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

1BadJeepBruisers Chino Clone. An RCC Legend - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The "Chino Clone" - Chapter 2 51WillysJeep 1.9 Scale Rigs 17 05-18-2010 01:22 PM
Opinions sought: Can I get there from here? High Lift --> Chino clone surfimp 1.9 Scale Rigs 12 12-28-2007 08:30 AM