Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: 1BadJeepBruisers Chino Clone. An RCC Legend

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2007, 10:34 PM   #61
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by fokai
for the rear shocks use an angle alum. plate and just bolt it to the stock cross member.

heres a pic
Hey Gil, thanks for the pic! Problem is if I try to make that, itll take a weak to make it cause I SUCK at bending aluminum...even somehting that easy cause if its not perfect, ill keep trying and trying again and again... Ill have to see if Kevin can make something like that for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eviltwin_52s
Mike looking good, I may need your assistance as well.. LOL

Hey can you tell me what length your rods are for the 4 link set up? I am sure that the rod ends will make a difference as well in the length.

Chino is going to hook me up with a tranny skid plate and I just spent an arm and a leg on a bunch of parts.

As for the mount for the rear shocks I know for my truck that wont work as it would be going up through the floor of the bed... so I will need to figure something out. Any suggestions Mike since you will be going through the same issue?
Sure thing Bart, Ill take some measurements tommorow, they may vary slightly but itll give ya an idea. The chino mount is what makes the build so easy, youll see once you get it, everything just drops in
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2007, 10:48 PM   #62
[HOONIGAN]

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser
Hey Gil, thanks for the pic! Problem is if I try to make that, itll take a weak to make it cause I SUCK at bending aluminum...even somehting that easy cause if its not perfect, ill keep trying and trying again and again... Ill have to see if Kevin can make something like that for me

Sure thing Bart, Ill take some measurements tommorow, they may vary slightly but itll give ya an idea. The chino mount is what makes the build so easy, youll see once you get it, everything just drops in
You don't have to bend anything. Just buy some angle aluminum from home depot or lowes. It comes in a bunch of widths at 90 deg, then you just round off the ends to make it look good.
Wrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 10:49 PM   #63
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecker
You don't have to bend anything. Just buy some angle aluminum from home depot or lowes. It comes in a bunch of widths at 90 deg, then you just round off the ends to make it look good.

ahhhhhhh thats a saweet idea, thanks for the tip, ill try to hit up one of those places this week... I am pretty good with a file so that shouldnt be a problem
Old 02-26-2007, 12:24 AM   #64
Gettin’ back on the horse

Dang wrecker has all the tricks.
god i love these builds havent seen one you've done that doesnt look amazing. keep it up!
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 11:15 PM   #65
Oppan Gangnam Style

Looking good Mike! My rear shock mount is bolted to the rear of the crossmember, just drilled two holes. I think I already sent you this pic. the tops of the shocks are spaced 33mm apart (if you are running the Traxxas long 3.5" shocks) for minimal torque twist and decent articulation.
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 01:17 PM   #66
I wanna be Dave

Mike I like poop brown I will make you a rear shock mount if you need one, they are pretty easy and I have the stuff for it. Love the rear window and the bedliner, very nice scale touches.
Unimoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:11 PM   #67
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unimoger
Mike I like poop brown I will make you a rear shock mount if you need one, they are pretty easy and I have the stuff for it. Love the rear window and the bedliner, very nice scale touches.
Im telling ya, I really like this color , I detailed the grill last night, and I am waiting on the trans before I start on the interior. It suppose to warm up again this weekend (40s) so hopefully I can finish up the paint work.

-Mike
Old 02-27-2007, 03:55 PM   #68
Rock Crawler

what trans you puttin in this baby, mike?
ScGRaceR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 11:44 AM   #69
I wanna be Dave

Looking good Mike,Duddy Brown should be the name.

*Did you get a new camera?Nice pictures....
ColquittCustom405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 01:11 PM   #70
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColquittCustom405
Looking good Mike,Duddy Brown should be the name.

*Did you get a new camera?Nice pictures....
Thanks DJ,
Actually alot of time I try to use my GFs camera as my camera doesnt have a powerful enough flash and is only a digital zoom. Hers has a little less pixes, but has a much better flash, many different pre sets for taking pictures and is a optical and digital zoom. Plus I also found a small mini tripod that I had for a digital camera from like 4-5 years ago and it turns out to be the same thread so I have been using her camera on the Tripod and it really takes nice pictures then

I am currently working on making the area where the sleeper shell was into a tool box, just like deans rig...hence why its a clone eh?

more progress pics soon, still waiting for some parts in the mail

-Mike
Old 02-28-2007, 01:23 PM   #71
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I am currently working on making the area where the sleeper shell was into a tool box, just like deans rig...hence why its a clone eh?

more progress pics soon, still waiting for some parts in the mail

-Mike
Hey Mike I just finished up my Toolbox and even have it foiled up, just need to clear it to seal everything up.. I will take some pics and post it here for you to view. May be something if interest to you as well.
Eviltwin_52s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 02:49 PM   #72
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eviltwin_52s
Hey Mike I just finished up my Toolbox and even have it foiled up, just need to clear it to seal everything up.. I will take some pics and post it here for you to view. May be something if interest to you as well.
Bart that would be awesome I am going to be using the plastitruc diamond plate to construct mine, then hit it with some testors silver and itll look like the real deal.

I havent forgotten about those link lengths yet either, but I adjusted the wheelbase last night, moved the rear axle forward a mm or 2 (it was a tad bit off) and I am not sure if the way I have my top links mounted if its going to clear the drive shaft off the pede trans yet, so once I get all that figured out Ill give ya a final length

-Mike
Old 02-28-2007, 04:52 PM   #73
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Bart that would be awesome I am going to be using the plastitruc diamond plate to construct mine, then hit it with some testors silver and itll look like the real deal.
-Mike
Hey Mike here are the pics I promised you. I also used the Plastruct Diamond Plate as it is a little larger piece of plastic and cheaper then Evergreen plastics.
I have painted mine in the past with Alclad II laquer but found by using House hold Aluminum foil as it looks more like real metal from the tint. Just need to clear it as the foil is really fragile.
Here is a pic from the rear with the toolbox lid closed.

Mike you need to squint so you don't see the project in the background. F350 Quad Cab w/ Shortbed. I cut about 3/4" out of the bed.
Side view with both lids open.

Then Lastly is with the toolbox out of the bed of the truck.

Sorry for the dark pic.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:49 PM   #74

Wow! This build has me on the edge of the chair. I love these trucks and the detail is amazing. The shocks and doors stand out for me. Nice tool box pics too.

Eugene
Cornflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:13 PM   #75
Oppan Gangnam Style

Eviltwin, that tool box is insane! Way better than mine.
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:45 PM   #76
Pebble Pounder

Nice color choice My 81 is painted that same color.
or,crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 07:10 AM   #77
Sinking with the ship

Bart that is AMAZING I am using the same plastistruc diamond plate, I made some progress on it last night, I am going to post pics soon. It isnt going to be nearly as awesome as that, but it should do the trick

BTW, the ford is looking awesome

-Mike

**EDIT*** LMAO we have the same kitchen chairs...haha just in case you wanted to know
Old 03-01-2007, 07:59 AM   #78
[HOONIGAN]

Holy crap that is a nice toolbox!
I can't wait to see your's Mike.
Wrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 09:05 AM   #79
Sinking with the ship

Default The start of the tool box

Ok here is a small update...

I detailed the Grill, and painted up the head light bucket

I also primed the cab hood and one fender again, this primer took nicely, so I am going to wet sand, prime it again and go from there (no pics...yet)

I then started on the tool box...Originaly I was just going to glue a cover over the area like the body had when I got it, but since I am waiting on alot of parts still, and the paint work isnt done yet, I decided to do it the right way. This thing is going to end up look totally bada$$...1st roll over will make me cringe much like the Trekker's 1st...but ill get over it

so I started by roughing the bed surface with some sand paper

Then I glued in some styrene

I got some nice thick stuff from the LHS, should hold up nicely and add some rigidness to the bed now that the sleep is gone

The I glued in the front and back panels

The bed had some weird random holes drilled in it right in the corners where the sleeper shell ended...well almost like something hot enough to melt the plastic was poke through...weird. luckily, that is spot is part of the tool box, and the new diamond plate styrene has *almost* completely covered the holes, cept for one lil spot on the left

As you can see, I also added the bottom part of the tool box in

Next up is the tool box top, I am going to build it up some to look like an actually lid rather then just a flat piece across. I was thinking of hinging it, but cant think of a good way to hinge and keep it closed, so I am probably just going to make it Velcro so I can take the top on and off, plus I am going to do like Dean did and hide my switches for the lights and stuff inside, to one side, I am also going to make some separate compartments out of styrene, this way I can group the tools and extra parts. I was thinking today, that I will top the tool box off by mounting my MSD high lift jack to it, I think that will look cool

I am also thinking of making fake latches on the out of tool box lid, like the kind you would grab to open it, I wish I had some extra door handle decals from a body, those would probably look perfect...anyone have any extras I can glue a flat piece of styrene to the diamond plate styrene then just apply a decal over it.

Well thats it for now. much more to come

-Mike
Old 03-01-2007, 09:37 AM   #80
Quarry Creeper

Hey Mike the Double Diamond Plate looks sweet, I almost bought some of that myself. Looking really good can't wait to see it finished up. Something else that you can do is just put like a button as some toolboxes just have a button on the outside and the lid just pops up.
As for a latch before you diamond plate the sides if you drill a hole for some stainless steel piano wire through and on the lid you just drill a hole in a small piece of styrene. Then from the hole take an Xacto knife just cut a "V" to the edge. This piece will then just lock onto the small rod and hold the lid down. Just like scale 1/24 and 1/25 model builders do to hold the doors shut. This process I would also use on your Doors on the other Mounty (opener).

1BadJeepBruisers Chino Clone. An RCC Legend - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The "Chino Clone" - Chapter 2 51WillysJeep 1.9 Scale Rigs 17 05-18-2010 01:22 PM
Opinions sought: Can I get there from here? High Lift --> Chino clone surfimp 1.9 Scale Rigs 12 12-28-2007 08:30 AM