Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: 1BadJeepBruisers Chino Clone. An RCC Legend

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2007, 10:52 AM   #1
Sinking with the ship

Default 1BadJeepBruisers Chino Clone. An RCC Legend

Well since some of my other projects didnt pan out...sold the pj 4runner, and my rc4wd bruiser axles arent going to work anytime soon AND its damn cold to paint the body I have decided to start on something else. I have been wanting a chino style rig since he 1st posted his. Well I have been collecting parts to build such a rig, still need a pede trans, a servo and some other stuff but here is the start of it. The Bruiser body should be here 2morow and I have a repro windshield and rear window from Bruiserbuilder on the way.

I decided that 1.9s may be a little small, I havent had a had a chance to get any 1.9 clawg dawgs so for now I am using a really scale 2.2. Basically, I was looking aroung the work area..saw some rc4wd beadlocks...ehh...I dont see alot of everyday trail rigs with beadlocks...then I saw some narrowed pede wheel...ehhh, not a fan of them when they dont have rock rings...Then I saw the wheels... I new I had saved these for something, ah yes, a perfect set of kyosho 4runner wheels with toyota center caps As I grabbed the wheels off the shelf, I also noticed the stock 4runner tires... I sold 2 sets of 4 of these off on ebay a while back, but saved one set for some reason...not I know why, they are the perfect scale tires. Look just like real bridgestones BUT they are wide as fawk look like 35 18.50s or something obviously NG. So I decided to try narrowing them, and they turned out awesome! these were pretty easy to narrow, I just got rid of the center lug section and since the tire is pretty stiff, they glued up nicely

Now that the tires were nice and narrowed, I had to do something with the wheels. Last time i narrowed my own wheels the dremel melted the shait out of them, so this time I knew I couldnt afford to mess these up, so out to the garage and I chucked them up in the drill press, busted out the exacto.

I also had to sand down the one rim lip, as it was much to tall and the bead sat all wierd on the rim, so a few more minutes on the drill press with a file and really rough sand paper they now look like this

Back inside, I started assmebling the chassis, I have been to lazy to get to the powder coaters so yea, itll just get some flat black then. I installed a chino cross memeber and mounted up powder coated tlt mounts on it. mounted up some bruiser spring mounts and shackles and a rc4wd powder coated servo mount. I then drilled the tlt axles which for some reason kick my *** so I could mount the diaz leaf springs. However, I think they have to much arch for this build, I still need to send him a bruiser leaf to see if he can make them like that Gotta get that in the mail. so here is how it sits now. WAY to high, I need to make lower body mounts for sure. So here it is with the mock up body, Im heading out to the garage (BBRRRR) to try to drill out some Bruiser leaf springs

1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2007, 11:00 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

holy thats beautiful, just beautiful! I love it!
theshimonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 11:31 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

that is EXACTLY why i wanted to buy those tires from you..

and then i missed the end of your auctions.. DOE!

looking good bud
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 11:48 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

awesome just awesome. hope it dont get to cold for you to finish this one
IronOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 12:23 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Sweet build Mike... say what do you use to hold the bruiser leafs to the TLT axles? Just a fabbed mount out of aluminum and 3mm screws?

I have a New TLT-1 Rockbuster heading my way and should be at my door step on Friday or Saturday. So I fill finally get to build up my Axles and may have a Buriser Frame and Cab coming as well so hopefully mine will be coming along much faster like yours as well.
Eviltwin_52s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 12:36 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Nice dude.I love the tire job.Hope it comes out sssssweet.
ColquittCustom405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 02:05 PM   #7
Im Brandon

Great start Mike! PM me if you still need a pede tranny
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 04:10 PM   #8
[HOONIGAN]

Geesh, you toyota whore!!! How many brusiers do you have?
I'm sure this one is going to turn out just as incredible as the rest of them too. I can't wait to see what you come up with, it looks great so far.
Wrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 04:41 PM   #9
Sinking with the ship

I got alot more done on this guys, changed out the leafs, front has a JUGGSTERR dual shock mount ill post pics lata

O and thanks to Brandon for a new pede trans on the way

-Mike
Old 02-19-2007, 05:45 PM   #10
RCC Addict

looking great mike. keep it up.
4RunnerKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 06:07 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

looking good. im sure this will be another amazing truck.
yamaharider308a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 06:11 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I forgot you're using the fully functional doors too!!!!!
Old 02-19-2007, 07:30 PM   #13
Oppan Gangnam Style

Nice start Mike. Glad too see it finally coming together. Let me know if you need anything.
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 08:01 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

love the rims and tires!!!!!!

cant wait to see what your gunna do with the body

and special colors?....or you gunna stay more traditional ?

whats wrong with the rc4wd axles...i thought you got all the parts?
ScGRaceR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 08:47 PM   #15

I am loving all these Bruiser builds. Keep em coming. Can't wait to see how this one turns out. Looking good so far.
kysavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 09:11 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kysavage
Can't wait to see how this one turns out.
I know huh? Mike knows how to spend his parents money.36,divorced and living in his moms sunroom.He still gets an allowance.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:02 PM   #17
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino63
Nice start Mike. Glad too see it finally coming together. Let me know if you need anything.
Funny you should say that Dean, we will definitely be talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColquittCustom405
I forgot you're using the fully functional doors too!!!!!
Nope not on this one, this one is gonna be scale as hell, but not that scale, this body is being saved for a special build, Bart will be helping me out with the bed and I have 2 racaro race seats for the cab coming. I also have another Bruiser frame and Bruiser axles. Its gonna be a fully decked out TOYOTA, its been an on going project and wont be done anytime soon but the end result will be my greatest build EVER however, heres a teaser shot, both doors are operational, not exactly how they would reall open as bart pointed out to me, but this is the best I can do...hell it took me a year just to hinge the passenger side

I have a New TLT-1 Rockbuster heading my way and should be at my door step on Friday or Saturday. So I fill finally get to build up my Axles and may have a Buriser Frame and Cab coming as well so hopefully mine will be coming along much faster like yours as well.[/quote]

Hey Bart, as far as mouting the leafs to the axles, I have scene many different ways of guys doing it, I decide to just straight mount the leaf to the axle. I drilled out the leafs, like a high lift, with the 2 holes. I then drilled one hole straight through the axle case, then the other whole just a tiny one only about half way through. The I mounted a 3mm screw through the back hole, and up front mounted a TINY INY screw, just to keep the leaf from moving side to side on the axle. I found that by doing this, it allowed the spring to have more flex because there isnt a big bolt head holding down the leaf which seem to limit the amount of flex. I took some close up pics of the set up hopefully youll see what I mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColquittCustom405
I know huh? Mike knows how to spend his parents money.36,divorced and living in his moms sunroom.He still gets an allowance.
dammit dude, what did I tell you, I told you not to tell everyone that I have everyone fooled that I was 21...geese...well at least im not bolding (<-spelling) yet

Ok enough yapping...here are some pics of the rest of todays progress untill the GF got here

Modded springs, I used the high lift mount as a guide to do, these springs are either tough to drill, or my drill bits suck because I broke 2 bits doing this

Here is the pic Bart, see what I mean

I then was digging through some stuff and I found to turned down tlt shocks..SAWEET, so I painted them up (had to put them in the boiler room to dry , warmest place in the house)

then I dug through some decal sheets and found some rancho shock decals

I then mounted up some of my good friend Kevins shock mounts and installed the shocks, they look so sick that I am going to have to find someone to turn down some more shocks cause it needs another shock on each side

I also shaved the shiat out of the axle housing, looks SO MUCH better and realistic with out the mounts on it. I forgot I sold off a set of axle Cs at the MJ event guy kept bugging me for them so I couldnt put them on, I did however find some run2jeepn tlt kunckles, so I put those on.

the ride hieght is so much better already with the Bruiser leafs, and while it may not be as soft, itll do the trick, especially with the rear 4linked.

The BODY FOR THIS one should be here tommorow, its getting a perfect color for this, and since this Toy is from ny, itll have some rust coming through the bed and some other good details, thanks to DJ and his 4runner

well im off to bed, enjoy the new pics

-Mike
Old 02-20-2007, 07:42 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Very cool build!
GraTou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:31 AM   #19
Oppan Gangnam Style

Mike, I gave up drilling the spring holes because the spring steel is such a pain to drill through. I use a small carbide bit in my dremel and it works way better without overheating the metal. Mine are mounted with only one bolt through the center hole and into the inner rear most hole on the axle. This moves the axle forward and helps clear the wheelwell opening as the suspension compresses (axle moves toward the rear). That thing is going to be sick!
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 10:11 AM   #20
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino63
Mike, I gave up drilling the spring holes because the spring steel is such a pain to drill through. I use a small carbide bit in my dremel and it works way better without overheating the metal. Mine are mounted with only one bolt through the center hole and into the inner rear most hole on the axle. This moves the axle forward and helps clear the wheelwell opening as the suspension compresses (axle moves toward the rear). That thing is going to be sick!
Thanks for the tip Dean, drilling the leafs SUCKED big time, I think ill try your way if I build another cause that was a complete PIA.

BODY IS HERE, sitting next to me at work...cept its madness here today, so much for having a nice day off yesterday...now I am playing catch up so hopefully durring lunch I cant cut open the box and check it out

1BadJeepBruisers Chino Clone. An RCC Legend - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The "Chino Clone" - Chapter 2 51WillysJeep 1.9 Scale Rigs 17 05-18-2010 01:22 PM
Opinions sought: Can I get there from here? High Lift --> Chino clone surfimp 1.9 Scale Rigs 12 12-28-2007 08:30 AM