Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: New Project for my Bro

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2019, 08:30 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default New Project for my Bro

Taking some inspiration from dezfan and his Lo-Do build, I decided to start a new project for my brother. He's a Marine Corp Vet, and unfortunately he's been out of work for a while and pretty down about it. He visited for a few days last month and I took him out crawling. He had an absolute blast and mentioned several times about getting his own rig as soon as he found a new job. He's always been very in to modeling and is highly skilled at doing static models, particularly military stuff. He's really in to the exacting details of his models from paint, to weathering, making sure all insignias are correct, etc. Anyway, I showed him some of the awesome scaled out builds here on the forums and on youtube and he was totally jacked. He was just awe struck at how far some of the rigs were taken in terms of scale detail.

Anyway, with money being tight for him right now, and knowing how excited he was about the prospect of getting his own rig, I pulled the trigger on the chassis below from EBAY. I know, I know, it's "off-brand", but I'm trying to stay on a pretty tight budget with this whole deal. The spec and overall quality look to be pretty darn good as well. I've got everything else I need in my parts bin to complete this minus the body. He owns a Jeep, so my plan is to score a Proline Jeep Wrangler Rubicon body for it and do it up like his 1:1. He'll be heading up to visit again around Thanksgiving, so I hope to have it completed by then. I'm thinking I'll say, "hey, let's go for a crawl" and let him drive it for a bit, then tell him it's his. I'll post update pics along the way.
Attached Images

mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2019, 08:41 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: New Project for my Bro

I don't know whether, or not, you are also a vet...but, honestly, that doesn't matter. I am a vet - and I want to thank you for your service to a vet. Yes, I know he's your brother...but, again, that doesn't matter. The way I see it, you see a vet who's "down on his luck", and who has a renewed interest in something that also means something to you, and you've gone out of your way to help him. THANK YOU !!!

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:11 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
I don't know whether, or not, you are also a vet...but, honestly, that doesn't matter. I am a vet - and I want to thank you for your service to a vet. Yes, I know he's your brother...but, again, that doesn't matter. The way I see it, you see a vet who's "down on his luck", and who has a renewed interest in something that also means something to you, and you've gone out of your way to help him. THANK YOU !!!

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

10-4 Panther! Appreciate the sentiment and your service as well!
Old 10-09-2019, 09:25 AM   #4
Go Buckeyes!

That's cool walsh! Great to hear what you are doing for your brother and veteran. Sorry to hear he is having a bit of bad luck at the moment. Hopefully better times are just ahead!

It is great what Dez has done for his neighbor with the Lo-Do build. That build turned out great!

If there is anything you need that you do not have, let me know and I'll see if I have it.

I'm close enough to you that I could run it up to you. That is the least I can do to thank him for his service!

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:44 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
That's cool walsh! Great to hear what you are doing for your brother and veteran. Sorry to hear he is having a bit of bad luck at the moment. Hopefully better times are just ahead!

It is great what Dez has done for his neighbor with the Lo-Do build. That build turned out great!

If there is anything you need that you do not have, let me know and I'll see if I have it.

I'm close enough to you that I could run it up to you. That is the least I can do to thank him for his service!

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

Thanks Brian! I agree - Dez's post is what inspired me to do this. We've got a genuinely good community of people in this hobby that is for sure! I think I'm going to have everything I need, but I greatly appreciate your offer. It would be awesome to get together for a crawl once I've got it done for him though! We could meet up somewhere your way as he's down near Columbus and I'm up North.
Old 10-09-2019, 02:30 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Regarding your brother and anyone else who knows a vet looking for a job...

Vets get preference hiring as seasonal firefighters with any of the federal land management agencies (USFS, BLM, NPS and Fish & Feathers, oh and BIA I think). We hire them all the time and I’d say this year pretty much the only folks we hired had a DD-214. With that and especially campaign experience within I think four years a vet can get hired and rostered within a week or two.

It can be a pretty good match, as you can imagine. And I don’t know anyone who regretted spending a summer on a fire crew. Not sure if you’re in Medina WA or OH, But the Mid-West has that weird Fall fire season coming up. Google “forestry technician” with USA jobs to get started. All the best.
LincolnofDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 02:38 PM   #7
Slow is the new Fast

Love it! It’s a thoughtful gift, and always great to develop common interests with family. Great post mewalsh, look forward to seeing where things go.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 03:53 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
Taking some inspiration from dezfan and his Lo-Do build, I decided to start a new project for my brother. He's a Marine Corp Vet, and unfortunately he's been out of work for a while and pretty down about it. He visited for a few days last month and I took him out crawling.....He'll be heading up to visit again around Thanksgiving, so I hope to have it completed by then. I'm thinking I'll say, "hey, let's go for a crawl" and let him drive it for a bit, then tell him it's his. I'll post update pics along the way.
Very nice of you, mental relaxation and hiking around outdoors is excellent, especially with tiny trucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post

Roger that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LincolnofDeath View Post

Vets get preference hiring as seasonal firefighters with any of the federal land management agencies (USFS, BLM, NPS and Fish & Feathers, oh and BIA I think). We hire them all the time and I’d say this year pretty much the only folks we hired had a DD-214.
Thanks, great info, I know how difficult it can be to transition into civilian life and finding a good job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
Love it! It’s a thoughtful gift, and always great to develop common interests with family. Great post mewalsh, look forward to seeing where things go.
Agreed!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 04:03 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by LincolnofDeath View Post

Vets get preference hiring as seasonal firefighters with any of the federal land management agencies (USFS, BLM, NPS and Fish & Feathers, oh and BIA I think). We hire them all the time and I’d say this year pretty much the only folks we hired had a DD-214. With that and especially campaign experience within I think four years a vet can get hired and rostered within a week or two.

It can be a pretty good match, as you can imagine. And I don’t know anyone who regretted spending a summer on a fire crew. Not sure if you’re in Medina WA or OH, But the Mid-West has that weird Fall fire season coming up. Google “forestry technician” with USA jobs to get started. All the best.

LincolnofDeath - Awesome intel. I appreciate the heads up and will definitely pass it on to my brother. Medina, OH BTW. I know he just applied at a logistics center that coordinates Military deliveries/freight, but I'm sure he would be stoked to look in to this as well! Thanks again!
Old 10-09-2019, 04:06 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post

Thanks smog! It's kinda funny because I'm sure I'm as excited to build it and drop it on him as he will be to receive it and know it's his! Can't wait to let him run it a while before I tell him too.
Old 10-09-2019, 04:12 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I've said it a number of times here in this forum, but it bears repeating. You all are some of best community of people I've had the pleasure to chat with, share builds with, learn from, and just generally enjoy. That's no small feat considering all of the different hobbies I've been involved with over the years - many of which i'm still involved in. You guys set the bar high and that's a damn good thing!
Old 10-16-2019, 02:52 PM   #12
Gold Star Baby!

Very cool of you Walsh! Hope the build goes well.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 06:49 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
Very cool of you Walsh! Hope the build goes well.
Thanks Topher - I’ll be posting updates when I get started on it.
Old 10-16-2019, 06:58 PM   #14
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
Thanks Brian! I agree - Dez's post is what inspired me to do this. We've got a genuinely good community of people in this hobby that is for sure! I think I'm going to have everything I need, but I greatly appreciate your offer. It would be awesome to get together for a crawl once I've got it done for him though! We could meet up somewhere your way as he's down near Columbus and I'm up North.
Yeah, it would be cool to get together and do a little crawling!

I don't have too many places to go around here, but we can figure that out later after you get it built!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:50 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Yeah, it would be cool to get together and do a little crawling!

I don't have too many places to go around here, but we can figure that out later after you get it built!

10-4. Even a little trail run would be cool!
Old 10-17-2019, 07:19 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Good Job looking out for your Brother! I'm sure he will love his new crawler, especially knowing his Bro built it for him. I just purchased the same chassis, still working on it. Looking forward to seeing your progress, best of luck to your Brother on his job search.
mv1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 02:58 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mv1985 View Post
Good Job looking out for your Brother! I'm sure he will love his new crawler, especially knowing his Bro built it for him. I just purchased the same chassis, still working on it. Looking forward to seeing your progress, best of luck to your Brother on his job search.

Thanks mv1985. How does the quality and pieces and parts seem to stack up?
Old 10-18-2019, 06:26 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

I put the Injora chassis next to my SCX 10 II, it has more aluminum parts than the Axial, which could be a good thing if they hold up. Waiting for a Hobbywing 1060 esc from ebay so I can give it a good test run. I will keep you posted on how well it performs.
mv1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 06:10 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mv1985 View Post
I put the Injora chassis next to my SCX 10 II, it has more aluminum parts than the Axial, which could be a good thing if they hold up. Waiting for a Hobbywing 1060 esc from ebay so I can give it a good test run. I will keep you posted on how well it performs.

That was my assessment when comparing the specs online as well. And, it's not like the SCX 10 II is made here in the states. Heck, it could be made in the same shop that is putting this unit out. Hopefully the one I ordered gets here soon so I can start in on it.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:12 AM   #20

Walsh, are you planning to use the 2 door Jeep body or the 4 door? The 4 door should fit that wheelbase as-is, but if you're after a 2 door, you should plan on shortening the wheelbase to accommodate.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote

New Project for my Bro - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bro dozer bongsten 1.9 Scale Rigs 40 12-24-2016 06:51 PM
Yeah Bro johnnyt Chit Chat 1 01-08-2011 06:03 AM