Notices

Thread: Topher builds a class 2 comp rig - Crawl Space Game Changer 4.2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2020, 02:22 PM   #21
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Topher builds a class 2 comp rig - Crawl Space Game Changer 4.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty Malach View Post
There are mirrored cases available. Just have to ask Ikaika for them at The Crawl Space.
No sh*t?! Hmmm, now got me thinking. Thank you for the information
NABeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2020, 11:47 AM   #22
Gold Star Baby!

Quick update and a few pics. These axles have now been repurposed and are being used on the GSpeed v3 build. Instead, I’m going to break down the trail king and put those axles, shocks, and electronics on this rig.

I did get new 40mm screws so I can get back to building on this one once I tear down the trail king. In the meantime here are a few pics to share.

First pic shows the panhard mount. With so many mounting locations getting proper axle swing here shouldn’t be a problem. The aluminum feels nice and sturdy as well.

Also added a pic of the goods, the compact and nicely overdriven t case and front motor mount are simple but well designed. Nice angles for the top shaft and plenty of room for the motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NABeast View Post
I’m interested to see more of this build. I built my game changer chassis a while ago and then gave up. But now I ordered some crawlspace sliders for it, put capra axles under it with CMS and now have motivation to finish it. I was debating on putting 10.3 axles but would require flipping the transmission and figuring out how to do the transfer case since you cant flip it because the angle.
That sounds like a cool build! Hope you pick it back up and share it in action.
Attached Images

Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 02:26 PM   #23
Rock Stacker

Its looking good, I’m sure the aluminum is stronger than the G10 that i have. I guess I should get some pictures and start a thread on mine, i got my sliders today, and ordered the trans and transfer case flip kit housings. I think it will be better weight balanced side to side with the motor opposite of the servo since I’m not going to run a winch. And also the option to run the 10.3 axles easily. You can buy the AR45 housings and shafts and just swap all the capra parts into them. The universals are the most expensive part. I’m going to keep plastic axles to save weight for now, actually trying to keep a rig light is hard, all my other rigs have metal axles and end up 8 pounds without trying.
NABeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 03:40 PM   #24
Go Buckeyes!

Oh...wait...ok! Now I see what your doing! I forgot about this rig your building also!

Man, two bad a$$ rigs at the same time! You really do mean business!

I'll be following both of them!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 04:09 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Looking good man! Definitely inspired me to move forward with my comp chassis. Can't wait to check out your running vids.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 11:17 AM   #26
Gold Star Baby!

Back to work on this one. I grabbed some traxxas screws (TRA2592) and was back underway. Used a power driver this time and greased the threads and had no issues.

Got the links built up and almost ready to put some axles under it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Oh...wait...ok! Now I see what your doing! I forgot about this rig your building also!

Man, two bad a$$ rigs at the same time! You really do mean business!

I'll be following both of them!
Been a lot of building around here! But when this one is finished, and a refresh on the vs410 is finished (new body, diff wb), I’ll be done building for a while and back to wheeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
Looking good man! Definitely inspired me to move forward with my comp chassis. Can't wait to check out your running vids.
Thanks Walsh! I’m excited to run it. Glad to see you’re working on your comp chassis too
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2020, 03:55 PM   #27
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
Everything was going together smoothly until I stripped one of the 40mm screws going into the skid plate. I could feel another one starting to round out so I stopped there.
I had this exact issue when I was building one for someone. Replaced the screws and didn't have any problems. I think the included M3x40 screws are low quality.
VMGontheRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 06:50 PM   #28
Gold Star Baby!

Axles and suspension are mounted up but the build is unfortunately stalled as the servo I ordered was dead on arrival. Having a heck of a time with the eBay seller too so I’m not sure how quickly I’ll get a replacement. May take the servo out of the vs410 in the meantime as that one is waiting on some body work.

Anyway, here are pics with axles and suspension. The trail king axles worked well enough, I had to space the upper link over to the outside of the mounting points on the pumpkin. There’s clearance until just before full compression where the driveshaft starts to hit the motor mount. It may not be a problem in the wild.

I could shave the motor mount a bit and clear it up, or I may get a center pumpkin axle for the front. Another option is these tubes and flip the pumpkin to the other side. Either way I’ll have to get new chubs and shock/link mounts so I’m on the fence about which way to go.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/ssd-rc-...8/p1155901?r=0

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMGontheRocks
I had this exact issue when I was building one for someone. Replaced the screws and didn't have any problems. I think the included M3x40 screws are low quality.
I’m starting to not be a fan of much stainless steel hardware in general, I think the hardware they include is from KNK so I’d expect it to not be awful. But stainless being soft in general maybe isn’t the best idea for a screw with so much thread.
Attached Images

Old 05-08-2020, 01:39 PM   #29
RCC Addict

Quote:
Axles and suspension are mounted up but the build is unfortunately stalled as the servo I ordered was dead on arrival. Having a heck of a time with the eBay seller too so I’m not sure how quickly I’ll get a replacement. May take the servo out of the vs410 in the meantime as that one is waiting on some body work.

Anyway, here are pics with axles and suspension. The trail king axles worked well enough, I had to space the upper link over to the outside of the mounting points on the pumpkin. There’s clearance until just before full compression where the driveshaft starts to hit the motor mount. It may not be a problem in the wild.

I could shave the motor mount a bit and clear it up, or I may get a center pumpkin axle for the front. Another option is these tubes and flip the pumpkin to the other side. Either way I’ll have to get new chubs and shock/link mounts so I’m on the fence about which way to go.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/ssd-rc-...8/p1155901?r=0

I’m starting to not be a fan of much stainless steel hardware in general, I think the hardware they include is from KNK so I’d expect it to not be awful. But stainless being soft in general maybe isn’t the best idea for a screw with so much thread.
I'd flip the pumpkin.

I'm not sure where the hardware came from, but I had other stainless M3x40 screws that I put in and had no problems. But I would agree black oxide, especially in a skid application is a better option.
VMGontheRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 11:44 AM   #30
Gold Star Baby!

In an effort to not have to buy more parts, I swapped axle tubes and whatnot with my Scx10ii and now have an offset front on the 10.2 JK and the standard center pumpkin on here. Full clearance and no issues anywhere now.

Finally got the refund from the eBay seller but I still don’t have a servo. JRH had mentioned v3s should be coming back in stock within a couple weeks so trying to hold tight for one of those.

As far as the body goes, I’m not sure. I have a 4runner on hand that I’ll probably start with but that may change as always. I think I’ll get that going this week and get some wheels and tires on it.
Attached Images

Old 05-21-2020, 05:08 AM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Looking real good mate!..

I love these chassis types.
stimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 08:28 AM   #32
Gold Star Baby!

Made some more progress on this one and it’s almost ready to run. I painted up a 4runner body for this one and went with a BMow inspired paint scheme. Pretty happy with the outcome. Might slap a couple HH decals on once I get the electronics done.

Last night I mounted the mamba x and the receiver, also switched from the castle 2280 slate to a puller pro stubby 2700kv. All that’s left to do now is get the battery mounting figured out and then steal a servo from something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
Looking real good mate!..

I love these chassis types.
Thanks Stimpy!
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2020, 09:42 AM   #33
Go Buckeyes!

Man, this build looks awesome!

Nice choice on the colors! I approve! Body turned out great! Just be careful not to scratch it! Yeah, right! Can't wait to see this beauty out on the rocks!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 10:26 AM   #34
RCC Addict

Looks great! Body fits like a glove
Robotboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 11:48 AM   #35
Pebble Pounder

Looking good! My batteries fit on the skid next to the t-case nicely, and I really like that location. I designed and printed a mounting plate that bolts to the skid with the existing holes, but lexan and some spacers would work just as well. I have the plate elevated slightly off the skid so that the suspension links don't hit the battery and to allow a velcro strap to be used.
garyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 03:16 AM   #36

Quote:
It was the head of the screw. Got it out without much effort and have some replacements on the way.
Suspect it's the hardware they supply as I did the same on one of mine. Look forward to seeing this beast of yours completed.

My rolling chassis has been sitting with some provisional links from Samix whilst I await the arrival of my hardcore links. Seeing your build has me all excited again about getting mine done. Unfortunately mine loses some of the low cg benefits as I am putting it on portals as those are the only axles I have spare sitting around and can't bring myself to spend on new axles currently.

Last edited by Harold996tt; 06-04-2020 at 06:13 AM.
Harold996tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:48 AM   #37
Gold Star Baby!

Thanks y’all! I appreciate it.

I got the battery situated by using one of my favorite tools and shoe-goo’d a trimmed up element enduro battery tray to the slider. Ran it under its own power for the first time and started bench testing. Seems ready for the rocks, I won’t be able to wheel this weekend so I’m shooting for a maiden voyage the following week.

While bored yesterday I also played around with some automotive pin striping. The lines/stripes clash so I’m taking them off but figured I’d say a pic in case any of you are curious to what it looks like for your own purposes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold996tt View Post
Suspect it's the hardware they supply as I did the same on one of mine. Look forward to seeing this beast of yours completed.

My rolling chassis has been sitting with some provisional links from Samix whilst I await the arrival of my hardcore links. Seeing your build has me all excited again about getting mine done. Unfortunately mine loses some of the low cg benefits as I am putting it on portals as those are the only axles I have spare sitting around and can't bring myself to spend on new axles currently.
Thanks! That’s cool it got you excited for your own project. Bummer about the hardware though.
Attached Images

Old 06-04-2020, 11:17 AM   #38
Rock Crawler

Very cool build ...did you get a new servo already?? If not give this a glance https://www.agf-rc.com/sa75cvsw-p2729240.html
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 02:17 PM   #39
Gold Star Baby!

Thanks! That servo doesn’t look too bad, wish it was in the states though. I’m moving next month and don’t want to risk waiting for anything from China, and am also still trying to sit tight for the HHV3.

For now I stole the protek servo out of my scx10.3
Old 06-04-2020, 08:20 PM   #40
Rock Crawler

Looks damn good bro! How do you like this compared to the GSPEED? What side plates did you use?

Lou

Last edited by TK421; 06-05-2020 at 05:35 AM.
TK421 is offline   Reply With Quote

Topher builds a class 2 comp rig - Crawl Space Game Changer 4.2 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Possible game changer. bbrigg Electronics 7 11-21-2019 05:51 PM
KLR 4.19 - C1 Game Changer JOEY_P Tires and Wheels 14 01-11-2017 12:13 PM
game changer ngward79 2.2 Scale Rigs 21 11-28-2012 08:01 AM
The Game Changer EYEATEYOU Non Crawler RC's 2 04-20-2012 03:45 PM