RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   1.9 Scale Rigs (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/1-9-scale-rigs/)
-   -   Topher builds a class 2 comp rig - Crawl Space Game Changer 4.2 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/1-9-scale-rigs/616529-topher-builds-class-2-comp-rig-crawl-space-game-changer-4-2-a.html)

Topher Builds 03-22-2020 07:44 PM

Topher builds a class 2 comp rig - Crawl Space Game Changer 4.2

1 Attachment(s)
I’ve had my eyes on a Game Changer 4.2 from the crawl space for some time now, after seeing and working on a friend’s 4.2, so I finally bit the bullet and grabbed a stage 2 kit.

I have most of the stuff for the axles on hand so I ordered up the rest of the parts and this is what I’ll be starting with.

- Crawl Space GC4.2 T6 Stage 2 kit, crawl space sliders, and crawl space stinger bumper.
- Hardcore RC 12.3” wb links
- SSD Pro 44 front and rear axles with SSD/Axial internals, 30/8 in both axles
- Samix aluminum v2 steering knuckles with samix brass knuckle weights (hefty! these seem nice and I couldn’t find SSD in stock anywhere, I’m excited to try these)
- Incision Drive Shafts
- Element RC Shocks (bronze)
- Mamba Micro X Crawler Edition
- Holmes Hobbies v2 Puller Pro Stubby - 2200kv
- Proline Gladiator Body (wanted something skinny)

For now, the wheels/tires and servo will be borrowed from another truck, as mentioned elsewhere I’m patiently waiting for more HH V3s to come in stock.

Since I’m waiting on the links, and it seems like outdoor activities around here are being shut down by the authorities, this one may take a couple weeks to come together but I’ll post progress as I work through it.

So far it’s just a box of parts, but a whole lot of fun in that box.

mewalsh100 03-23-2020 07:24 AM

Re: Topher builds a class 2 comp rig - Crawl Space Game Changer 4.2

Looking forward to checking this out Topher as I've been considering working up a no holds barred after market chassis rig myself. My intent would be to keep it bare bones. No interior, no scale crap, just a lean, mean rock gripp'n machine with a cool lid.

R2j 03-23-2020 08:13 AM

Looking forward to your build Topher! Your going to like the GC platform. I love my two and waiting for the next round of C1 GC4.2 chassis to be back in stock. Make sure you check out the videos, very helpful for sure.

JatoTheRipper 03-23-2020 08:40 AM

Nice! I've love to build one of these comp rigs some day.

soze 03-23-2020 09:52 AM

Nice! I've been looking at some of these comp chassis. I don't intend to comp, but I do want to experience what they're capable of. There seem to be so several different ones out there though, so I'm never really sure which to go with.

B-MOW71 03-23-2020 09:57 AM

Looking forward to seeing another cool build from Topher Builds!:)

A box full of tiny truck parts is always fun!

Topher Builds 03-24-2020 04:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the interest fellas! I appreciate it.

Work was a little slow today so I started getting the front axle together, only to realize I’m one bearing short. I mocked it all up anyway to get a feel for the weight. With these samix v2 knuckles and weights this is hefty axle. Thinking I’ll have to run one of the SSD steel rims for clearance purposes.

The rear axle will be a ssd pro 44 also but I haven’t thrown that one together yet, so here’s a pic of just the front. Waiting on the links from hardcore rc and now a spare bearing kit and then I should have everything I need to get it going.

OSRC 03-24-2020 04:22 PM

Nice - off to a great start!

Highmark 03-24-2020 05:16 PM

Looking good! It's a great platform, excited to see this one come together.

doublej 03-24-2020 06:50 PM

Heads up - bolt on knuckle weights arent SORRCA legal.

Hurry up and get it built!

odomandr 03-24-2020 07:18 PM

It has really impressed me. I think you may have been surprised with it low slung and nimble but the low weight axles should be nice too

Topher Builds 03-25-2020 09:16 AM

Thanks guys!

Quote:

Originally Posted by doublej (Post 6007247)
Heads up - bolt on knuckle weights arent SORRCA legal.

Hurry up and get it built!

Dang rules. I’ll swap knuckles with the trail king then. Thanks for the heads up JJ. "thumbsup"

saniel68 04-09-2020 06:23 PM

Any updates? "thumbsup"

Topher Builds 04-15-2020 11:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Little bit of an update to share. I swapped the knuckles on these axles with the ssd knuckles I had on the VS410, in order to comply with the sorcca rules about bolt on knuckle weights.

The links and spacers from hardcore rc showed up so now I have everything to finish this build up. Got started with the t case/motor mount. "thumbsup"

Almighty Malach 04-15-2020 12:02 PM

I don't know how the fit is with the aluminum parts, but the carbon/G10 parts are tight enough you can press the M3 nut into the T slot and it will stay making assembly easier.

Topher Builds 04-15-2020 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Almighty Malach (Post 6014023)
I don't know how the fit is with the aluminum parts, but the carbon/G10 parts are tight enough you can press the M3 nut into the T slot and it will stay making assembly easier.

I used the tape trick from the YouTube videos. Everything was going together smoothly until I stripped one of the 40mm screws going into the skid plate. I could feel another one starting to round out so I stopped there.

Going to have to come back to it and pull them out but I ordered some hardened protek screws that I need to wait on in the mean time. Will try and grease the threads up some the next time.

Almighty Malach 04-15-2020 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topher Builds (Post 6014095)
I used the tape trick from the YouTube videos. Everything was going together smoothly until I stripped one of the 40mm screws going into the skid plate. I could feel another one starting to round out so I stopped there.

Going to have to come back to it and pull them out but I ordered some hardened protek screws that I need to wait on in the mean time. Will try and grease the threads up some the next time.

Did the skid strip or the head of the screw strip?

Topher Builds 04-15-2020 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Almighty Malach (Post 6014168)
Did the skid strip or the head of the screw strip?

It was the head of the screw. Got it out without much effort and have some replacements on the way.

NABeast 04-20-2020 07:31 AM

I’m interested to see more of this build. I built my game changer chassis a while ago and then gave up. But now I ordered some crawlspace sliders for it, put capra axles under it with CMS and now have motivation to finish it. I was debating on putting 10.3 axles but would require flipping the transmission and figuring out how to do the transfer case since you cant flip it because the angle.

Almighty Malach 04-20-2020 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NABeast (Post 6015466)
I’m interested to see more of this build. I built my game changer chassis a while ago and then gave up. But now I ordered some crawlspace sliders for it, put capra axles under it with CMS and now have motivation to finish it. I was debating on putting 10.3 axles but would require flipping the transmission and figuring out how to do the transfer case since you cant flip it because the angle.

There are mirrored cases available. Just have to ask Ikaika for them at The Crawl Space.