Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs
Loading

Notices

Thread: Best SCX10 To-Scale Axle Housings/Assemblies

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2020, 11:51 AM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 35
Question Best SCX10 To-Scale Axle Housings/Assemblies

Hey all, I apologize if this is a repost but the search function in this forum isn't working at the moment so I have no way to quickly determine that.

So I've purchased an Element Enduro Sendero (SCX10 standard) and have been working on building out a to-scale Jeep Comanche rig. Well, I've upgraded most parts I want to upgrade but I want to replace the stock axle housings/assemblies with some nice metal scale looking axles. I originally really wanted the Vanquish Currie RockJock but since those have been discontinued finding a black front SCX10 axle is nearly impossible at this point. Also, I did want to note that I am NOT a fan of the diamond Currie axles, aesthetically.

What I am looking for are some classic looking and as scale detailed/realistic as possible, metal axle housings that are compatible with my rig that also perform well. I have been struggling to find much, it seems the options I've found are either plastic axle housings, cheap CNC Chinese ones, gaudy aluminum ones that don't look scale, or the Currie diamond axles. Does anyone have any recommendations for something/alternatives that might fit what I'm looking for?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Stretch911; 03-24-2020 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Spelling and grammar corrections
Stretch911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2020, 11:59 AM   #2
RCC Addict
 
4RunnerKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Oceano, CA
Posts: 1,154
Default Re: Best SCX10 To-Scale Axle Housings/Assemblies

Vanquish D44 or SSD Pro44/Trail King housings are probably your best bet if you're looking for something scale and you're not a fan of the Diamond/fabricated housing look:

https://www.vanquishproducts.com/cur...lack-anodized/
https://www.vanquishproducts.com/cur...lack-anodized/

PARTS FOR TRAIL KINGTrail King Pro Scale Chassis - Builders Kit
4RunnerKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 12:09 PM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 35
Default Re: Best SCX10 To-Scale Axle Housings/Assemblies

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RunnerKid View Post
Vanquish D44 or SSD Pro44/Trail King housings are probably your best bet if you're looking for something scale and you're not a fan of the Diamond/fabricated housing look:

https://www.vanquishproducts.com/cur...lack-anodized/
https://www.vanquishproducts.com/cur...lack-anodized/

PARTS FOR TRAIL KINGTrail King Pro Scale Chassis - Builders Kit
Thanks! I did look at these before. So, I am new to this hobby, I saw that these are for a VS4-10, are they also compatible with an SCX10/Enduro Sendero? I assumed they were a different layout, because they have on the website both an SCX10 version (discontinued and out of stock) and the VS4-10 version you shared. I just want to clarify before I buy something that doesn't fit well.

The SSD Pro44 are plastic housings, right? I do want to avoid plastic. Basically, I want to replace every plastic part that I can with a metal one.
Stretch911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 12:44 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Deep in the Everglades
Posts: 5,782
Default Best SCX10 To-Scale Axle Housings/Assemblies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch911 View Post
The SSD Pro44 are plastic housings, right? I do want to avoid plastic. Basically, I want to replace every plastic part that I can with a metal one.
Donít avoid these as they are exactly what you are looking for. The centers are plastic, tubes are alloy. Strong and tough. When I built my axial SCX10ii raw kit, I ditched the stock axles for those, Iíve never been happier. These arenít up to my VP axles in quality or price, BUT they are high Quality, solid and bulletproof, with good gears and locker. And far more reasonable than my VPs.




Here follow this link

Bea
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app


Hang up and Drive

Last edited by mikemcE; 03-24-2020 at 12:48 PM.
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 01:50 PM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 35
Default Re: Best SCX10 To-Scale Axle Housings/Assemblies

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Donít avoid these as they are exactly what you are looking for. The centers are plastic, tubes are alloy. Strong and tough. When I built my axial SCX10ii raw kit, I ditched the stock axles for those, Iíve never been happier. These arenít up to my VP axles in quality or price, BUT they are high Quality, solid and bulletproof, with good gears and locker. And far more reasonable than my VPs.
I'll have to check them out. I am not worried about spending more for the VP axles, they're just impossible to find in the RockJock style.
Stretch911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 03:48 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Deep in the Everglades
Posts: 5,782
Default Re: Best SCX10 To-Scale Axle Housings/Assemblies

Strength and weight wise I chose this over a Beef tube reinforced housing. I wanted low front weight, with the housings, and knuckles dead even.
The center section is also available in the diamond style


Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:09 PM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 35
Default Re: Best SCX10 To-Scale Axle Housings/Assemblies

So basically, I am right to assume these are my only options? It's times like these are when I wish I based my build on a VS4-10 or a Trail Finder 2 standard instead of an SCX10 II. Oh well, there are always limitations regardless of the decision. It seems if you aren't building one of those two standards with a Toyota, Defender, or Wrangler body, your options will be limited for a to-scale build.
Stretch911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:56 PM   #8
RCC Addict
 
4RunnerKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Oceano, CA
Posts: 1,154
Default Re: Best SCX10 To-Scale Axle Housings/Assemblies

i'm running an offset SSD setup in the front of my SCX10-2 (passenger drop even), and it works just fine with a little tweaking. don't be afraid to put a little work into it to make it what you want
4RunnerKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 03:31 PM   #9
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 35
Default Re: Best SCX10 To-Scale Axle Housings/Assemblies

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RunnerKid View Post
i'm running an offset SSD setup in the front of my SCX10-2 (passenger drop even), and it works just fine with a little tweaking. don't be afraid to put a little work into it to make it what you want
That's fair, for sure. What do you recommend as far as modifications that help make allow full suspension range with the offset pumpkin? I watched a YouTube video of someone installing the offset Currie on an SCX-10 II and the pumpkin definitely interfered with the pan hard and a linkage to prevent the shock on one side from compressing all the way.
Stretch911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 03:48 PM   #10
RCC Addict
 
4RunnerKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Oceano, CA
Posts: 1,154
Default Re: Best SCX10 To-Scale Axle Housings/Assemblies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch911 View Post
That's fair, for sure. What do you recommend as far as modifications that help make allow full suspension range with the offset pumpkin? I watched a YouTube video of someone installing the offset Currie on an SCX-10 II and the pumpkin definitely interfered with the pan hard and a linkage to prevent the shock on one side from compressing all the way.
i'm running a bent panhard to get everything to clear at full compression. i still have a little interference between the front driveshaft/upper link and my BowHouse crossmember (kit transmission is flipped), but i doubt that's something you'll have to worry about
Attached Images
  
4RunnerKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:19 AM   #11
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 35
Thumbs up Re: Best SCX10 To-Scale Axle Housings/Assemblies

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RunnerKid View Post
i'm running a bent panhard to get everything to clear at full compression. i still have a little interference between the front driveshaft/upper link and my BowHouse crossmember (kit transmission is flipped), but i doubt that's something you'll have to worry about
Oh nice, it definitely looks like the bent panhard is the way to go it I get the offset pumpkin Currie. I think I am still going to try to find a regular SCX10 II currie axle set, but if I have to go with the VS4-10 offset one, at least I know at least one option to make it work. Thanks!
Stretch911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
axles, currie, element, scale, scx10



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com