Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Struhall finally builds a LJ.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2020, 12:44 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Struhall finally builds a LJ.

Finally got started on my newest scale project. I've been sitting on this New Bright hardbody TJ for 2 1/2 years. Found it outside the dumpster and brought it home.

I knew the stock wheelbase was too short and I had to be over 10 inches for the Activated Outlaw rules so I polled my wife and kids to see if they liked a stretched TJ or an LJ better. Obviously they picked the harder choice so I started hacking away. Every single truck that ends up on my desk seems to fall apart for some reason.

Stretched right at 1 inch to make the body proportional for a LJ. The middle part behind the doors worries me because it's a lot stronger than the stock body around it. The wheels and tires are not set in stone, I want to have the tires around 4.5 to 4.75 inches, these were just the closest set I could grab.

Trying to fit the chassis and links is going to be tight. I had to cut the chassis down 2 inches to get it to fit under the body. 1 in cut out of the middle and 1 in off the end. I will finish the build and get everything worked out and get the chassis welded back together when I get my bumpers, sliders and cage built.

Specs as of now:

-GCM front motor mount
-RC4WD transfer case set up for front overdrive
-SSD AR44 housings, Vanquish c-hubs, knuckles and lockouts
-DinkyRC cantilever rear shocks
-Ebay special aluminum front CMS mount
-Amazon 20kg servo
struhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2020, 02:16 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Struhall finally builds a LJ.

They made the right choice! I vote Impact Orange when you start painting.

Funny story, I bought a can of Impact Orange touch up paint 10 years ago just to have on hand. Now I'm building a Capra and thought it would be cool to include some, so I find the original package it came in since I hadn't opened it and take a look. Turns out 10 years ago they sent me the wrong color, so now I have a can of Mopar Brite Platinum Silver and an invoice that confirms I should have Impact Orange...
rbronco21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 08:18 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbronco21 View Post
They made the right choice! I vote Impact Orange when you start painting.
I want a LJ myself. I have been daily driving a Cherokee for 9 years, I love the 4.0 motor.

I'm not sure the color yet. I may repaint it the green it is or close to it. I'll cross that bridge when I get there. I'll probably end up in the spray paint aisle and tell my wife and kids to all pick a color. My favorite colors are blue and orange but I really love a purple Jeep. That's what color I painted my TRX4 Cherokee hard body.
struhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 12:05 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

I had a YJ for a long time, then upgraded to an XJ for better daily driving. I even started getting offroad parts for it when I decided I had to have a removable top. I had the XJ for around 6 months before I got my LJ.
rbronco21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 10:36 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Nice work so far! I had one of those bodies way back in 2007 or so I think. I should be on the lookout for another one so I can build a scale version of my LJ (or what I want it to be anyway).

I currently own an 05 LJR and a 98 XJ. XJ is sitting on 35s with ~4.5" lift with 3 link front. Just got the LJR a couple months ago so I haven't had a chance to do a whole lot to it. Not sure if I'm gonna keep both of them. I love the XJ but the LJ is such a good platform. I'm enjoying driving around with no top or doors while we have nice weather.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 11:41 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

nice start to a good project. Love my full size LJ on 37" MTR's your wheels will look just right for this build.
1badxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 04:47 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Update?
Downfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 12:44 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Time to pick this build back up, Jamie asked me to build some bumpers,sliders and a roll cage for his sweet LJ. I finished the metal work a few months ago and just getting around to posting it. (picture heavy) I started by getting the frame welded and then made the front bumper. All tubework for this build is 3/16 DOM steel Tig welded.

Bolt on Front bumper

Starting rock sliders

Gavin Ayala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 12:58 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Moving along with the build

Had to take it to the rocks to see how it looks!

#Texas

I welded the rear bumper to the frame cause their was no cross bracing in the rear of the frame cause of the cantilever suspension. So now the rear bumper is the frame cross support.

Old 09-30-2021, 01:12 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Time for the fun part the roll cage.

I glued these 1/8'' Aluminum plates to the bottom of the body. The cage bolts to the body with 4 bolts threaded into the tube.

Old 09-30-2021, 01:23 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Time for a Roof panel

Now that the tubework is all done, I got the frame and all the tubework painted in black Steele it. Also got the Delrin sliders made.

Final assemble

Old 09-30-2021, 01:40 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Roof panel or not I love the way this LJ came out! Jamie did a great job making the body and painting it! I'm excited to see Jamie Finish this build and paint the roof panel. But of course im most excited to see this on the trail soon!

Tags
ayalametalworks, rockcrawler

Struhall finally builds a LJ. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Soze finally builds his SCX10 II after 2 years. soze Axial SCX10 II 33 08-20-2021 01:16 AM
Struhall builds a Class 1 Ford struhall 1.5 Scale Rigs 16 07-08-2016 07:40 PM
apsilon finally builds his Yeti apsilon Axial Yeti 13 01-19-2016 12:08 AM
Finally able to start my scale builds... jonrobertd Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 2 07-28-2014 03:03 PM
Freq-E Builds a Berg .... Finally FreqEsKinz EnRoute Berg 42 07-19-2010 07:42 PM