Man, another great looking build!.
stimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2020, 12:43 PM   #42
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Topher Builds a Sherpa - Rear Portal Class 2 comp truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
Thanks Jeff! It definitely has a bit of a rod vibe that’s for sure.

Love the coke machine, I see you have a vendor star here now (thanks and congrats!) so I may go post a thread about it. I’m still wanting one of those snap on tool boxes and will be hollering at you once I get the garage expanded, I have a second sendero box to set up
I have 2 Sendero boxes and 2 Trailwalker boxes, but am building my own garage. I just have way too many projects going at once (I struggle to stay focused on one task) so it's been fairly slow going. Almost there though...

(Sorry for the brief thread hijack)

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
JSterrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 05:20 PM   #43
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Thanks BMow! I’ve been patiently hoping that we start seeing some more 85mm shock options as I think that could be a nice sweet spot for travel and ride height. Incision/VP could do it with a slightly longer shaft as they have more room in the shock body with the 80mm shock.

I’ve wanted to do a wood bed for a while but haven’t figured out how to get a good wood effect with lout vinyl, aging some popsicle sticks is a good idea. May need to give that a shot. I have some scale diamond plate that will most likely make its way onto a bed that ends up here.
Yeah, an 85mm shock would be a great option to have. I guess until then, I'll just have to add spacers on the shock shafts.

Same here on the wood bed. I've had ideas and seen some really nice wood beds on FB, but have yet to make one. I think I may try to make one on my next build this winter.

A bed made out of scale diamond plate would look killer with the PW body and the paint you chose.
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 05:47 PM   #44
Rock Crawler

Topher, I can't do diamond plate, but I could probably make you an aluminum bed fairly easy. This is a trailer I'm in the process of building, but im sure the design could be adapted for a flatbed pretty easy...

JSterrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 01:20 AM   #45

My first post here goes to you, what an awesome looking rig!
Also have a Sherpa kit on the way, and your build made me want to go portal in the rear...

I see you have used SSD axle housing in other builds also, do you buy them finish built or piece them together yourself?
What are your opinion on Diamod Pro vs Pro44? Other than scale looks.
MikaelBerberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 08:01 AM   #46
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
Man, another great looking build!.
Thanks Stimpy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSterrett View Post
I have 2 Sendero boxes and 2 Trailwalker boxes, but am building my own garage. I just have way too many projects going at once (I struggle to stay focused on one task) so it's been fairly slow going. Almost there though...

(Sorry for the brief thread hijack)

Nice start to a garage there! I like the scale of it. If you were closer to me I’d be trying to coax those trailwalker boxes out of you

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Yeah, an 85mm shock would be a great option to have. I guess until then, I'll just have to add spacers on the shock shafts.

Same here on the wood bed. I've had ideas and seen some really nice wood beds on FB, but have yet to make one. I think I may try to make one on my next build this winter.

A bed made out of scale diamond plate would look killer with the PW body and the paint you chose.
I saw one person use what I think was a wood grain duct tape and it was surprisingly good looking. And thanks! I think aluminum diamond plate would fit well with the overall look too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSterrett View Post
Topher, I can't do diamond plate, but I could probably make you an aluminum bed fairly easy. This is a trailer I'm in the process of building, but im sure the design could be adapted for a flatbed pretty easy...

I like that perforated look! I may have to hit you up about that before the next comp season. I’ll need fenders and a bed that get within sorcca class 2 rules to compete with this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikaelBerberg View Post
My first post here goes to you, what an awesome looking rig!
Also have a Sherpa kit on the way, and your build made me want to go portal in the rear...

I see you have used SSD axle housing in other builds also, do you buy them finish built or piece them together yourself?
What are your opinion on Diamod Pro vs Pro44? Other than scale looks.
Hey thank you! I prefer the pro44 mostly for looks and the pumpkin seems a little smaller. I like that there are different diff covers available for it too. Some even add a tiny bit of weight and looks.

I went with the diamond here so I could make sure the reverse cut ring and pinion gears can go on either side to get the axle rotation the same as the rear portal axle. They were pieced together but I do use the ssd universals.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:14 PM   #47
Gold Star Baby!

So through my guessing I had thought I’d be around 30% overdrive. This was a rough estimate by taking the 1.91 portal reduction stock and just subtracting the amount of OD I was adding with each piece. So 30% from the t case, 10% from the ring and pinion, and another 30-35% from the portal gears (not sure the exact ratio of the tgh wild). *edit, the t case is actually 15% not 30%

Decided to record it with the rear tire turning 10 times and seeing how many times the front turned. I end up right around 11.5 turns in front and 10 in rear which seems to be about a 15% overdrive?

Last edited by Topher Builds; 08-17-2020 at 01:39 PM.
Old 08-17-2020, 01:38 PM   #48
Gold Star Baby!

Decided to trim the cab a little bit to take out some of the lean.

Also got some diff portal gears coming to reduce the amount of overdrive in the rear and give me more overdrive up front. Hoping to get around 25-30% with this next change.
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2020, 06:57 AM   #49
Go Buckeyes!

I think it looks good now with the cab sitting more level!
Old 08-18-2020, 08:47 AM   #50

Quote:
So through my guessing I had thought I’d be around 30% overdrive. This was a rough estimate by taking the 1.91 portal reduction stock and just subtracting the amount of OD I was adding with each piece. So 30% from the t case, 10% from the ring and pinion, and another 30-35% from the portal gears (not sure the exact ratio of the tgh wild). *edit, the t case is actually 15% not 30%

Decided to record it with the rear tire turning 10 times and seeing how many times the front turned. I end up right around 11.5 turns in front and 10 in rear which seems to be about a 15% overdrive?
I'm surprised where the OD has ended up - looking at reductions:

front output = 1.0
front ring/pinion = 30/8 = 3.75

rear output = 1.0 / 1.15 (t-case OD - division because you're speeding up the rear, thus reducing the amount of reduction)
rear ring/pinion = 27/8 = 3.375 (OD ring/pinion)
rear portal = 20/15 = 1.333 (Wild TGH OD gears)

I get:

front reduction = 3.75
rear reduction = (1/1.15) * 3.375 * 1.333 = 3.91

This gives ~4.2% OD (using either (r-f)/r or Harley's average (r-f)/((r+f)/2) )
Munchagepeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 09:08 AM   #51
Gold Star Baby!

^ like. And that’s exactly why I gave up on the math of calculating ratios and have gone to a more rudimentary empirical method of just counting turns.

Thanks for going through all the math, I never sat down to work it out, just started building. The mild portal overdrive gears showed up yesterday so I’ll have those in this week sometime and will run a similar video to see where it ends up.

But to play with your math, if you multiply to get 1.15 instead of dividing then you get 7.9%. As we see though, the actual rate multiplied and doesn’t divide by 2 and we end up right under 16%.

(5.175-3.75)/(5.175 + 3.75) = 1.425/8.925 = 15.9%

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
I think it looks good now with the cab sitting more level!
Thanks B! I like it better more level as well, should have done it from the get go really.
Old 08-18-2020, 09:22 AM   #52

Yeah, I've never actually checked the maths vs. reality on OD, just used the numbers to show me roughly where I am and foolishly trusted them

I've also been considering something similar with both a gamechanger 4.2 and vs4-10 + VFD, so I happened to have a few spreadsheets with everything worked out
Old 08-18-2020, 09:30 AM   #53

And interestingly, if I play with my maths, but with a standard 30/8 ring/pinion in the rear I get 14.8% OD..
Old 08-22-2020, 09:55 AM   #54
Gold Star Baby!

Got the Sherpa out early today for a proper shakedown at my favorite spot out here. The truck did great, handled everything I threw at it including a couple lines that other rigs struggle with. Video coming soon.

Very happy so far, I didn’t change any gearing yet because I wanted to see how it did with the initial set up and the observed 15% OD. I’ll change the portal gears this week which should get it between 25-30%.

Quick clip...
Attached Images

Last edited by Topher Builds; 08-22-2020 at 10:42 AM.
Old 08-22-2020, 01:01 PM   #55
Gold Star Baby!

Shakedown video is up

Old 08-22-2020, 01:19 PM   #56
Quarry Creeper

Everything about that was brilliant, top job.
Particularly spectacular playground
Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Crawler Cads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 01:39 PM   #57
RCC Addict

Hey looks fantastic. Takes a sidehill really well. Nice build overall. All it needs now is a Fargo badge above the grill. 😎
Tossedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 05:29 PM   #58

Amazing build - great job!
nem3sis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 07:20 AM   #59
Go Buckeyes!

I give the newest TB build 5 out of 5 thumbs!

Great vid at a beautiful location!
Old 08-24-2020, 02:43 PM   #60
Gold Star Baby!

Thanks everyone! Very much appreciated. If you follow me on social media you’ll surely tell I’m a big fan of this truck.

On that note, here’s another clip from the video that I posted separately on the gram.

I had originally planned on changing shocks down the road but I have to say I’m quite pleased with these incision shocks. I know they’re not the most well regarded shock for whatever reason (maybe the bladder?) but they’re working out great on here. Using a 70w oil, rebuilt them since I got em used, didn’t bother with green slime (I never do tbh) and they’re very smooth and haven’t lost a drop of oil after putting the rig through its paces. I’m happy with how it’s worked out having a 80mm shock on the rear portal and 90mm up front. Still has good reach. The optional springs worked out well too. Hopefully they continue to hold oil.

Last edited by Topher Builds; 08-24-2020 at 02:56 PM.

Topher Builds a Sherpa - Rear Portal Class 2 comp truck - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Topher builds a class 2 comp rig - Crawl Space Game Changer 4.2 Topher Builds 1.9 Scale Rigs 72 12-01-2022 09:34 PM
topher builds a TRX10.2 Topher Builds Traxxas TRX-4 60 01-05-2021 07:59 PM
Topher Builds a SCX10.3 Topher Builds Axial SCX10 III 81 06-11-2020 02:23 PM
topher builds a Capra Topher Builds Axial Capra 100 03-16-2020 08:03 AM