Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: $3 HPI Venture rails lead me to this scrap build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2021, 12:59 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default $3 HPI Venture rails lead me to this scrap build

This is more of a lender/spare build. What's funny is this is my 3rd crawler I've built and I've never shared my original Venture FJ Cruiser yet. I will get proper pics and a build breakdown on it when I get the chance. I was hoping to have a completed interior for it but it never came about so I'll share it soon.

Leftover parts from HPI Venture:
35T brushed motor & ESC running 3S
Stock 4ch receiver
Panhard w/spacer (panhard chassis mount is centered to eyelet directly beneath frame)
Stock servo mount
Shock hoops
Stock shocks w/Axial white 60mm springs & 50wt oil x4
Hacked battery tray
Rear bumper mount delete

I also bought a spare HPI front motor mount/gearbox/dog bone and transmission in case I want to switch this build up or for a future front motor mount build.

The rest of the parts:
Proline '85 Hilux body (trimmed some of the front arch/bumper area)
Reefs 299LP servo (reversed & spaced down for horn clearance)
NSDRC servo horn
Vader SCX10.2 skid w/Injora SCX10.2 transmission
D-Link Delrin SCX10.2 links
AR44 solid axles/stock tie rod/stock hexes
RC4WD drag link (needs red boot)
No brand universals
No brand metal driveshafts
No brand 2pc rock sliders
No brand shock keys for rear
1.9" RC4WD white wagon beadlocks mounted in Dick Cepek Extreme Country tires (stock foams)
Axial body posts

I'll add to the post if I'm forgetting.
Goro Majima is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2022, 01:22 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: $3 HPI Venture rails lead me to this scrap build

Thought I'd never update this lender truck but it's what happens when you get carried away with extra stuff. At the time of this build, I hadn't planned my 11 Toyota list yet, as this would land as #3. So this got a little more Venture-ish with installing the spare HPI parts I intended to save for my FJ Cruiser. If said FJ breaks, unsure if I'd buy the replacement part (so far most stuff still available) or swap to a different branded part (IE; tooth breaks off on one of the drivetrain gears, do Stealth X transmission swap). Onto what's been done.

- InTheWorks RC steel high clearance links (HPI to AR44).
- Austar trans went into my Tacoma double cab 10.2 build, while this received the Venture gearbox, transfer case & stock skid.
- Stock battery tray got replaced with an 80mm standoff.
- Stock rear shock mounts reinstalled.
- Spaced the motor forward from the motor mount for clearance of running smaller pinion.
- Cut the stock plastic servo mount (does not connect both shock towers anymore) to make room for rotating the motor more for proper mesh of a 12T pinion.
- Stock shocks swapped out for 10.3 straight axle shocks with white rated Axial springs (softer).

- Stock panhard mount installed and used small flat M3 bracket to rig up a panhard mount on the axle utilizing the truss as bracing.

- Inner bed received some Plastidip for that bedliner look.
- Kept the same tires on but threw on some Boom Racing Probuild wide wheels. I think these tires fit them well.

Now one thing about this setup that isn't that important because this is a lender build but still want to address it, is in the front. The driveshaft stub makes contact with the lower screw enclosing the gearbox. It prevents the front from bottoming out at about 25% less travel. I was debating on whether or not I could delete that screw and plastic mount off, but it's the only screw on the bottom half of the gear box. Maybe I can secure the housing in a different way.

Last edited by Goro Majima; 03-28-2022 at 01:25 AM.
Goro Majima is offline   Reply With Quote

$3 HPI Venture rails lead me to this scrap build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HPI Venture Tristhull80 Newbie General 3 08-17-2020 05:22 PM
my hpi venture ghost97ta HPI Venture 24 05-02-2020 11:25 PM
New HPI Venture mOOsE HPI Venture 2 05-01-2018 10:19 AM