Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Gspeed/TGH/Enduro build for class 3

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2020, 08:48 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Gspeed/TGH/Enduro build for class 3

A few months ago I decided to build myself a truck to the Sorrca class 3 rules, hoping to do some comps with it (which still hasn't happened...soon hopefully though). Rather than go full on 2.2 sized everything I built it using 1.9 sized components.

Enduro axles (two steering axles) - Beeftubes c-hubs and SSD brass knuckles up front, SSD aluminum c-hubs in the rear. Other than that the parts are standard Enduro. I did do various mods to get as much steering angle as possible, and I'm fairly happy with that. I've found however that these axles have two disadvantages...one is lack of aftermarket support (I wanted an OD or UD ring and pinion but nobody makes them. The other is they aren't a high pinion design, and as a result the rear driveshaft and cvd at the axle take a beating and end up being a point to get hung up on.

Chassis rails are the Gspeed V3 in fiberglass. Designed for SCX10.2, they work well for a lot of different applications. The rails are all as they came other than cutting a little off the front of the rails to pull the front bumper in more. The dual servo mount up front is by Team Garage Hack and bolts right up to the Gspeed rails, its very nice. My only complaint is that I wish that it mounted a little further forward. I may end up doing some drilling at some point or making a different mount.

Links are standard Enduro up front, long wheelbase Enduro in the rear. I'm using a mix of Enduro and Traxxas rod ends to get the lengths I want. Three link front, four link rear. For the frame side panhard mount I'm using the Gspeed G-MP multi platform mount which allows for some adaptability to different setups...pretty nice.

Shocks are Enduro kit shocks. I run mini t front springs using lower perches that I designed and printed. Still experimenting with oil but I'm running substantially heavier than the kit oil weight.

For power transmission I'm using the Team Garage Hack forward motor mount and transfer case. This serves a few purposes. It sheds a little weight from the standard Enduro trans, it moves weight forward, and it gets some Sorrca scale points. I'm using the version with 15% OD built in. At first I really wanted more OD (hence my disappointment in no axle gear options) but it's actually working pretty well with the 15%. The motor mount bolts onto the Gspeed rails using included adapter plates, and the transfer case bolts right onto the included delrin skid plate.

Electronics are pretty basic...not cheap but not too expensive. Savox 1230sg servos front and rear. Reef's 422HD servo winch. Mamba micro X ESC running a Holmes Hobbies Crawlmaster Expert 16t. Right now I'm using a Castle 10 amp BEC, which I think is ok with the servos I'm running. A 650mah 3s battery mounts on the right electronics tray. The trays are designed and printed to fit exactly to my truck/body.

Wheels and tires vary, but I set the truck up around the Pitbull 2.2 Braven Berserkers. I ended up with those on VP 2.2 wheels and CI foams are inside the tires. I also run 1.9 tires/wheels along with 1.9 tires stretched onto 2.2 wheels. I'm kinda torn right now, but I think the best overall setup is Proline 1.9 Krawler KX that I have on some chanquish 2.2 narrow wheels. But the VP wheels with the Berserkers just look awesome (that's what's in the pics below).

The body is a Tamiya F350 that I've done some work to. Pinched the front, trimmed for tire clearance, etc. The bed consists of just the bedsides bolted onto a tube bed. Running a Bomber interior which is too large in proportion to the body, but it fits with trimming and looks 'good enough' while serving its purpose.

Metal work includes a custom front bumper with stinger, tube bed with roll bar and integrated rear bumper. The bed is designed with an extreme dovetail for tire clearance. Got a few scale goodies back there in the bed like an Optima battery, tow strap, milk crate with oil bottles, etc. I printed a radiator and mounted in the back to hide the rear steering servo when viewed from above.

Anyway, this has been a fun build and a learning experience for sure...can't wait for the next build so I can apply some of the things I'm learning in this segment of the r/c hobby. I also can't wait to get to a comp with this thing, I think I might wear it out before that if I don't get to one soon. It's so fun to drive with the rear steering which adds a lot of capability too.

garyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2020, 09:01 AM   #2
Gold Star Baby!

Default Re: Gspeed/TGH/Enduro build for class 3

Wow! What a killer bid. Looks very well done. Hope we get to see it in action. The front motor mount and t case combo is killer.

I’m a big fan of the gspeed rails, just got another set in the mail from 4th of July sale and an Enduro swap was towards the top of the list. Glad to see it worked out so well!

Agreed about the axles though; my biggest hang ups are the lack of diff gear options and I’d rather a high pinion than BTA steering but I think for the advantages of the transmission and shocks it’s worth it to start with an Enduro base on a lot of these builds.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 09:14 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Nicely designed and done.

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 09:48 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

That is a Sweeeet build, I guess i should finish my enduro comp build....
Doomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 10:52 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Thanks guys!

Topher, I also just got another set of the Gspeed rails. I have another Enduro that has more Enduro left of it than this one (including the trans), and I have one of the 2.low transmissions sitting here, so I'll have to decide what direction to go in.
Old 07-11-2020, 10:54 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Looks great!
Robotboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 01:08 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Nice build! I'm not ready for a flat-rail chassis yet, but I do like what people are doing with them.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 03:03 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Looking mean, nice work!!
distinctive pd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 10:28 AM   #9
Go Buckeyes!

Looks great!

Can’t wait to hear how it does in competition.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 02:21 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Thank you, guys. Still adding tweaks here and there, just made some brake rotors from aluminum...

Old 08-19-2020, 12:31 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Grat build, looks really capable

do you design you own body mounts?
I notice some 3d printed body mount sliders, where did you found it?
antigacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 03:04 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I rock a G-Speed V3 Carbon Enduro based rig and to this point, I love it.

Love the way your rig turned out. The body choice and trim job worked Really well.

I’m slowly adding parts for a Class 3 V3 build of my own. I’ll be checking in on your progress for possible inspiration!👍🏼
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 01:12 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

This looks great!..
stimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 09:48 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by antigacho View Post
Grat build, looks really capable

do you design you own body mounts?
I notice some 3d printed body mount sliders, where did you found it?
I'm using KNK body post mounts for the front, and a single mount at the rear of the cab that I made. Originally I designed and printed sliders that the cab could attach to with screws but I didn't like having to deal with the screws in order to remove the cab. I think gspeed might have some body mount sliders available for certain bodies now.
Old 08-26-2020, 09:53 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
I rock a G-Speed V3 Carbon Enduro based rig and to this point, I love it.

Love the way your rig turned out. The body choice and trim job worked Really well.

I’m slowly adding parts for a Class 3 V3 build of my own. I’ll be checking in on your progress for possible inspiration!👍🏼
Thank you. This is my favorite crawler so far.

I have made one more change to it. I put some Dravtech shocks on it in place of the Enduro shocks. I don't think there's any change in the capability but I wanted my Enduro shocks on another truck that is mostly Enduro parts. I have to say, my only complaint with the Enduro shocks after setting them up with the mini t springs was some leaking from the bottom of the shock body, but I've since tried the x-rings in them and they're leak free now.
Old 08-26-2020, 09:57 PM   #16
RCC Addict

I would really like to see some video of this thing running. Very well put together man.

At least post some more pictures for us..
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 01:31 PM   #17

Oh Damn.. dual steering.. just what i am looking into.
How do you control the system?
BrickBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 09:22 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
I would really like to see some video of this thing running. Very well put together man.

At least post some more pictures for us..
Thanks...I'm doing good just to get some pics. Maybe some day I can get some video.

Old 09-01-2020, 09:26 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickBait View Post
Oh Damn.. dual steering.. just what i am looking into.
How do you control the system?
Assuming you have an available channel, the rear steering servo has to plug into another channel on your receiver. Then you have to set up the transmitter to control that channel. A lot of people use channel mixing to have the rear servo turn with the front, and you can usually set up to select normal 4ws or crab steering.

Personally, I prefer to control the rear servo separately from the front (no channel mixing). I use a trim switch to control it and set it up so I just click in the direction I want to steer the rear axle. I have five positions in each direction so I can quickly change it but have enough resolution in steering angle. It might seem weird but it works great for me.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:05 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post

Personally, I prefer to control the rear servo separately from the front (no channel mixing). I use a trim switch to control it and set it up so I just click in the direction I want to steer the rear axle. I have five positions in each direction so I can quickly change it but have enough resolution in steering angle. It might seem weird but it works great for me.
This reminds me of Monster JAM trucks. They click a toggle switch left or right for the rear steer. Very cool.

So if you don't need the rear steer you don't touch the trim switch and the rear wheels stay straight?

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote

Gspeed/TGH/Enduro build for class 3 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Elements: An Enduro kit build by SVT svt923 Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 66 01-26-2021 08:02 AM
Here's my Enduro build (Dredge chassis rails) garyk Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 3 07-04-2020 04:20 AM
Machete Enduro Build 802coma Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 4 06-12-2020 01:33 PM
LightWeight GSpeed V2 Build! scxguy Axial SCX-10 1 04-02-2019 06:40 PM
GSpeed Chassis Build - Cloncho's Next Evolution n_d_fox 1.9 Scale Rigs 11 05-24-2016 09:49 AM