Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Project PrerunnerR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2021, 11:15 AM   #41
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Project PrerunnerR

I was working on the cage, and I noticed that the suspension didn't compress as much as I'd like.

The top link hit the chassis rails when it bottoms out. I'm thinking of cutting the rear part of the cage to allow for more suspension travel, but that would leave the proline cage in the air.
I don't need the extra travel, but I think it's benefit it a little bit.

Thoughts?
TITANIUM94010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2021, 01:01 AM   #42
Quarry Creeper

I did some precise measurements and the Powerstroke XT shocks fit!

I'm getting insane amounts of travel measurements,

I'm working on a 3d printed shock relocation mount at the moment, should be able to make it soon.
This is going to be epic!
Old 01-25-2021, 09:51 PM   #43
Quarry Creeper

Time for an update,

I've got the cage pretty much finished now, Maybe a little bit of bracing on the top but I'll need a way for that to be easily removable so I can access the internals.

I've got thee Raptor body cut and mounted, painting tomorrow, vinyl wrapping in 3m shadow black the day after that.
I've got RC4WD Dick Cepek tires on one side, Slash tires on the other. Playing with some tire sizes. 100mm does seem to be the good OD, but they're pretty rare in a nice and hard compound. Might stick with the Proline KM3 (110mm) and hope the 1.9 rims will make it appear smaller than the slash tires, which look a touch big.

Body Off

Body On

I managed to get some Proline Powerstroke XT shocks on (5"! ) and they work really well. Had to do make a 3d printed mount, but it all works well.
I've got 15wt oil in the back, which does feel a touch too heavy but I'll see. no oil in the front because leaky axial shocks

Fully compressed.

And the insane amount of travel

I've got the battery under the Proline cage for that nine 60/40 or maybe 70/30 rear/front weight ratio.
And a chep Amazon sway bar that works well. Did have to drill some holes because stock chassis holes caused the rod to hit the axle before fully bottoming out.
[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-
cdn.com/20210126/4aca13cb5692c082a83610827fffa5db.jpg[/IMG]

That's it for now,
Next up is paint, tires, and TRX4 transmission swap.

Last edited by TITANIUM94010; 01-25-2021 at 09:59 PM.
Old 01-25-2021, 10:07 PM   #44
Quarry Creeper

One more
Old 01-26-2021, 03:11 AM   #45
Quarry Creeper

I’ve been thinking of building a Baja style truck for a while, I really like your build. Maybe I should put that spare IFS kit from element to use!
alexleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 12:03 AM   #46
Quarry Creeper

Update!

Sorry for not keeping up with the updates, I've been really busy for the past few weeks, and a nasty poison oak rash.

But, I've been making some significant progress on the build:

Got new wheels and tires, painted and wrapped body, and some other things. Not completely done, but coming close.
I'm not going to go into things right now, ill do that tomorrow.
Why am I posting this today you ask? I figured some guys might wanna see it, maybe...

Some other pictures:

Last edited by TITANIUM94010; 03-02-2021 at 12:06 AM.
Old 03-15-2021, 09:15 PM   #47
Rock Stacker

Is the tubing you used for the chassis solid? I've been wanting to get back into the hobby and came across his thread. Never seen someone build a roll cage from nylon tubing. Pretty cool
DieselRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 11:34 PM   #48
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselRC View Post
Is the tubing you used for the chassis solid? I've been wanting to get back into the hobby and came across his thread. Never seen someone build a roll cage from nylon tubing. Pretty cool
Sorry for the late reply, have been busy lately.

Yes, it's solid nylon tubing, 1/4 in diameter. You really should get back in this hobby. Depending on how long you've been out, crawlers have changed drastically
Old 04-19-2021, 10:16 PM   #49
Quarry Creeper

Some updates

I swapped out the Element IFS for the IFS from a old Slash 4x4 had laying around. The element had a horrible horrible steering geometry, and also a crappy design in general. The diff and skid dropped way too low, leaving me with around an inch of travel, and the way that the suspension compressed just didn't fit a go-fast rig like this.
I took the IFS from a slash, shortened the A arms and turnbuckles, and it drove waaaaaaaaay better.

It turns out that it's not the locked rear diff that makes turning crappy, its the locked front. Currently, I have it in 2wd due to diff gearing differences, but with a Brushed Stampede 4x4 diff in the front, (Traxxas part 677 I can get a 3.916 front diff ratio and a 3.75 rear diff ratio. Isn't the same, but close enough. I'll probably leave if 2wd depending on how it drives on 4wd at speed, and use 4wd (with a teeeeeeeny bit of overdrive) for crawling or trailing.

It's technically only held in by 4 screws (2 under the chassis, two under the front bumper, but it's incredibly strong.
With some shock mounts made from 1/16 ABS, I mounted Traxxas GTS90 mm shocks and 30wt oil I sanded down the spacers between the O rings, which reduced the friction of the shaft by a lot, so 30wt acted more like 10-20 wt in a "normal" shock, as Traxxas GTS tends to add a couple of wt from friction unmodded.

I've also mounted in a TRX4 2 Speed transmission, with 3d printed mounts made by StomperXJ (racer32 on Rccrawler) Link:https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/vari...10ii-stomperxj
Currently there isn't a servo for switching between gears so its manual, but I will be installing one soon.

I've got a Hobbywing Axe R1 2700kv 550 with a Traxxas 2085x. It is a pretty trash servo but it works decently, so I'll leave that in for now. The servo is mounted to the chassis rail by 2 drilled holes and mounts made of sheet metal.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

As for the body, it's currently a work in progress. The front and rear fenders rub at full bump, so I've been wanting to replace them. I ordered a pair of the new Proline Ranger Prerunner Fenders, they come on Wednsday and I'll mount them up. This will widen the fenders to compensate for the widened front track.

And an image for scaling [IMG]https://i.imgur.com/iNWdBCq.jpg[IMG]
Although this angle does make it look rather small.

Last edited by TITANIUM94010; 04-20-2021 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Pictures were horrendously large
Old 04-23-2021, 04:29 PM   #50
RCC Addict

How wide is this truck front and rear? I really dig your idea for this truck.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 10:41 PM   #51
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX-D View Post
How wide is this truck front and rear? I really dig your idea for this truck.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Hey there, sorry for the late reply, I haven't been on the forums a lot lately. The rear is standard AR44 axle length, with a track width of 20cm.

Front is made from slash IFS with very shortened suspension arms, and has a track width of 21.7cm

Wheelbase is essentially 313, but is more at 308-309 mm

Rear Track width: 20cm
Front Track width: 21.7cm
Wheelbase: 309mm

It's pretty much standard 1/10 crawler sized.

For an update to the build,
I've removed the cage and am going to paint it, and deep clean the chassis. I'll put in some pictures build.
Old 06-04-2021, 01:18 PM   #52
Quarry Creeper

I took the cage off and coated it with some filler primer. It’s been through a lot of roll overs, so I decided to fill in the parts that were graded away with some JB Weld. I’m not sure yet what color I,m going to paint it, but it already looks better.
It’s actually a lot lighter than I thought, I haven’t weighed it yet but it probably around half a pound, with all the coats of paint, probably around a pound or so.

Chassis without cage on.

I’ve been doing some work on the wiring, it’s hard to do though with that little space. I’ve printed up some parts including a receiver box, and I’ll mount them up soon.

I wrapped up a set of Proline Ranger prerunner rear fenders, they’ll be mounted with some 3D printed tabs that I need to design first.
Old 08-28-2021, 08:05 PM   #53
Quarry Creeper

Gosh it’s been forever since I’ve posted something in this thread.

Here’s the current condition of the truck:

I’ve got the rear axle taken off to switch it to a SSD diamond axle, which I’ll be (crazy idea), filling with transmission oil.

I’ve been doing a lot of 3D print work, and made some fender mounts, half an interior, and some scale stuff

The wiring’s still a work in progress and a big PITA, there’s light for 12v, 7.4v and some for 3v, gotta figure out where I put all the stuff.

Here’s the work in progress magnetic mount 11.1v light for the RC4WD Baja pods I got for the front, and possibly a light bar, but most of them seem to be in 7.4-6v.

Also put on an old RC4WD LZR1 roof rack that was meant for the TRX6. I don’t know if I like it or not, but for now I’ll keep it on.

The slash ifs works really well, but it’s still 2wd. I’ll try to make it 4wd but it’ll be really hard.

Mocked up the diamond axle, already looks way better then the stock ar44. Red painted screw is for adding oil, which I’ll be using instead of grease. The driveshaft/ gears get way too hot, helical gears and 30 mph don’t mix.
Old 09-13-2021, 08:38 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by TITANIUM94010 View Post
Hey there, sorry for the late reply, I haven't been on the forums a lot lately. The rear is standard AR44 axle length, with a track width of 20cm.

Front is made from slash IFS with very shortened suspension arms, and has a track width of 21.7cm

Wheelbase is essentially 313, but is more at 308-309 mm

Rear Track width: 20cm
Front Track width: 21.7cm
Wheelbase: 309mm

It's pretty much standard 1/10 crawler sized.

For an update to the build,
I've removed the cage and am going to paint it, and deep clean the chassis. I'll put in some pictures build.
Build looks awesome, cant wait to see how it turns out!

Also im toying with similar idea but ive already got a Twin Hammers with a scx10 trans in it. Thinking of swapping the stock TH parts with anything that's replaceable with a scx10 (once they break cuz nobody sells TH parts here).

Btw I agree with you on the element IFS kit, it has bad clearance up front as compared to my TH front end. Had that kit for a month (sold it after that) in my scx10 and cant remember how many times it caught on some rocks when the TH would drive walk over it.
othatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 10:12 PM   #55
Quarry Creeper

The twin hammers is a pretty solid platform, oddgarage builds his prerunners off of them. Depending on what you build though and how you’re going to drive it, I wouldn’t expect to break too many parts if any, I haven’t broken a single part (other than diff gears) on my prerunner…yet, and most of its parts were meant for crawler speeds.
Old 10-17-2021, 10:24 PM   #56
Quarry Creeper

I’ve decided to repaint the cage, as it accidentally flipped and skidded it very hard on asphalt after running it without the body on. The cage is strong, but the paint isn’t. Stripping the old paint is going to be a pain, but since nylon is acetone resistant that will be my solvent of choice.

I stripped it down to it’s bare chassis. Some wires have been cut and resoldered to be cleaner. I’m planning to go over the whole truck with some silicone spray to make the plastic look nicer, but I’m not sure yet.

Project PrerunnerR - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Start of a new Deadbolt project. Lets call it Project: Cheapbolt Prime Axial SCX-10 211 01-07-2017 09:53 AM