RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   1.9 Scale Rigs (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/1-9-scale-rigs/)
-   -   Project PrerunnerR (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/1-9-scale-rigs/621073-project-prerunnerr.html)

TITANIUM94010 09-21-2020 12:52 AM

Project PrerunnerR

Alright, time to start the build thread for this project. Some of you might have seen my excessive question posting from the past few months, and here is where it leads up to.

Build:
An SCX10ii based Raptor Prerunner, somewhat inspired by the Deberti Designs Raptor, with and Element Ifs Kit.

Heres the car it's based off of.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/165894...posted-public/

As a warning, I am starting this thread fairly early, as I don't plan on purchasing the marjority of parts for this build until Black Friday, but I figured I could get some suggestions from the beginning of this forum before I go full out.

I'm going with a 10.2 Raw builders kit, like mentioned above, element ifs kit, and Proline raptor body.

Some basic specs:
-Traxxas GTS 110mm long arm shocks, to be drooped extremely.
-Unfilled cheap Amazon shocks for looks only, if it hampers performance ill probably just ditch them
-Rear sway bars from a Slash
-Ssd Diamond axle because the VP curries are just too dang expensive

Nothing too much in terms of performance upgrades....but
the raptor body is going to get chopped so its only the cab, a Proline cage is going to be mounted on the rear, with fenders/rear from a Jconcepts Illusionz Raptor SCT body mounted on the sides, for that wide bodied look. wheels will be run off of hex extenders.

I'm planning to spray the body a gunmetal grey, which may or may not change, but every piece of lexan is going to be wrapped in a 3M shadow black wrap, which is %#*@*$# expensive, but worth the looks imo. Yes, it's probably going to end up as a shelf queen, but I figure if it does end up being scratched and beat up, I could rewrap t. I've wrapped a body once with some cheap wrap before, turned out pretty nice, but it was a basher so..self explanitory as to its current condition.

It started out as "it would be cool to have one of these" RCs, but I've decided to give the build the green light and go.

Gula 09-21-2020 01:02 AM

Re: Project PrerunnerR

P8ctures, or it didn't happen!

lonleycreeper 09-21-2020 06:25 AM

One thing of note. The proline cage is Narrow! Like really narrow. Honcho width is only 6.5" wide at its widest. That might or might not be a problem for your build.

I love the prerunner style and cannot wait to see more.

TITANIUM94010 09-21-2020 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonleycreeper (Post 6045181)
One thing of note. The proline cage is Narrow! Like really narrow. Honcho width is only 6.5" wide at its widest. That might or might not be a problem for your build.

I love the prerunner style and cannot wait to see more.

Yeah, I asked a buddy and he said it was narower than most bodies, which is the reason I'm adding the SC truck fenders.
This guy on insta did the same thing
https://www.instagram.com/p/CBD16F1jKl4/

TITANIUM94010 09-21-2020 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gula (Post 6045175)
P8ctures, or it didn't happen!

I'm waiting for a good hunk of the parts I need to be in stock, which may or may not be a while. I ordered a few of the parts I could get, but am waiting partially on Black Friday sales too.

TITANIUM94010 09-22-2020 09:58 AM

So I am contemplating between getting an Axe system or Mamba X,

I own both, but can't decide which one to use for this build, Axe is cheaper, but Mamba offers more power, which I probably won't need, but it also offers more fine-tuning and adjustment. But I also have been wanting to replace the axe system in my main rig(I've stripped 2 screws on it so I can't give it any maintenance and the bearings are starting to make funny sounds at high throttle) , give the new system to it , and give the old one to my current build because it requires less low speed control.

TITANIUM94010 12-23-2020 11:52 PM

Sorry for the long wait,
but this build isn't dead yet! :ror:

Just ordered the 10.2 RBK, ssd Trailing arms, Proline cage, raptor body, and 60ft of 1/4in nylon rods to be safe.

Doesn't arrive until 28th though :(

My plan is to start with the cage (obviously build the kit first), and build it off of the proline cage, which will be chassis mounted.
I'll get some pictures in soon.

ScaleLifeNewbie 12-24-2020 01:30 AM

Sweet man! looking forward to seeing progress!

Sorry if I missed it, but what body will you be using? I ask because I've only seen ext. cab Raptor bodies and the DD is crew cab.

durok 12-24-2020 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TITANIUM94010 (Post 6045174)

I'm going with a 10.2 Raw builders kit, like mentioned above, element ifs kit, and Proline raptor body.

the raptor body is going to get chopped so its only the cab, a Proline cage is going to be mounted on the rear, with fenders/rear from a Jconcepts Illusionz Raptor SCT body mounted on the sides, for that wide bodied look. wheels will be run off of hex extenders.

I'm planning to spray the body a gunmetal grey, which may or may not change, but every piece of lexan is going to be wrapped in a 3M shadow black wrap, which is %#*@*$# expensive, but worth the looks imo. Yes, it's probably going to end up as a shelf queen, but I figure if it does end up being scratched and beat up, I could rewrap t. I've wrapped a body once with some cheap wrap before, turned out pretty nice, but it was a basher so..self explanitory as to its current condition.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TITANIUM94010 (Post 6045208)
Yeah, I asked a buddy and he said it was narower than most bodies, which is the reason I'm adding the SC truck fenders.
This guy on insta did the same thing
https://www.instagram.com/p/CBD16F1jKl4/

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie (Post 6059259)

Sorry if I missed it, but what body will you be using? I ask because I've only seen ext. cab Raptor bodies and the DD is crew cab.

Dude, you have got to start reading the threads you post in - I highlighted the relevant bits - they were only a couple posts up from yours... :lmao:

ScaleLifeNewbie 12-24-2020 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by durok (Post 6059290)
Dude, you have got to start reading the threads you post in - I highlighted the relevant bits - they were only a couple posts up from yours... :lmao:

Thanks for proving my point[emoji106]

I asked because the DD is 4 door, not ext. cab. Maybe you should’ve read my post all the way through?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MAC FAB 12-24-2020 01:09 PM

60 feet of rod???? It takes roughly 15 feet to build a scratch build TT, so practice will make perfect. As for the electronics, go cheap because you can unless you are bent on Castle or such, because it doesn't matter on a go fast rig. Pics required!!!

TITANIUM94010 12-24-2020 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAC FAB (Post 6059331)
60 feet of rod???? It takes roughly 15 feet to build a scratch build TT, so practice will make perfect. As for the electronics, go cheap because you can unless you are bent on Castle or such, because it doesn't matter on a go fast rig. Pics required!!!

I know its a little too much, but they were on sale and really cheap. Plus it's my first time so I'll probably be wasting some of them ;-)

But I've got some other uses for them too.

I recently got the AxeR2 for another rig, so I swapped that out with the axe R1, which will probably power this rig.

TITANIUM94010 12-24-2020 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie (Post 6059259)

It a Proline 12.3 ext. cab, but I'm not bent on making an exact replica. The whole rear bed is going to get chopped so it won't matter too much.

ScaleLifeNewbie 12-24-2020 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TITANIUM94010 (Post 6059341)
It a Proline 12.3 ext. cab, but I'm not bent on making an exact replica. The whole rear bed is going to get chopped so it won't matter too much.

Looking forward to seeing it[emoji106]

durok 12-24-2020 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie (Post 6059328)
Thanks for proving my point[emoji106]

I asked because the DD is 4 door, not ext. cab. Maybe you should’ve read my post all the way through?

I did read your post all the way through.

I'm trying to help you use the forum more logically.

What you asked was "What body are you using?"...

I highlighted the body he is using in friggin' RED.

Then I highlighted the mods he mentioned in BOLD.

Maybe I should have also added and highlighted his introductory statement like so:

"somewhat inspired by the Deberti Designs Raptor"

I'll chalk up the snark in your response to an unwillingness to bother with reading forum threads and instead just jump in repeatedly and ask questions that are staring you right in the face literally inches higher up the page - just like the way every time you respond to a post with pictures in it, you ALWAYS repost them in your reply. You can edit those out, for the sake of the flow of the thread.

Part of participating in a forum, especially when you're new and (as you've admitted) young, is a willingness to try to follow accepted forum etiquette.

I'm out.

Have yourself a lovely day, and enjoy your crawlers during the holidays.

ScaleLifeNewbie 12-24-2020 04:33 PM

Project PrerunnerR

Quote:

Originally Posted by durok (Post 6059354)
I did read your post all the way through.

I'm trying to help you use the forum more logically.

What you asked was "What body are you using?"...

I highlighted the body he is using in friggin' RED.

Then I highlighted the mods he mentioned in BOLD.

Maybe I should have also added and highlighted his introductory statement like so:

"somewhat inspired by the Deberti Designs Raptor"

I'll chalk up the snark in your response to an unwillingness to bother with reading forum threads and instead just jump in repeatedly and ask questions that are staring you right in the face literally inches higher up the page - just like the way every time you respond to a post with pictures in it, you ALWAYS repost them in your reply. You can edit those out, for the sake of the flow of the thread.

Part of participating in a forum, especially when you're new and (as you've admitted) young, is a willingness to try to follow accepted forum etiquette.

I'm out.

Have yourself a lovely day, and enjoy your crawlers during the holidays.

I guess it comes down to my wording. I admit, I didn’t see that he was using the Proline body. It’s easy to skim over it in a long post. I read all the threads I respond to, just sometimes I miss something. We’ve all done it. As for the pictures when quoting, I always forget about that as well. I’ll start doing that. I do apologize for my disrespectful response. like you said, your just trying to help.

Merry Christmas! [emoji106]

durok 12-24-2020 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie (Post 6059356)

Merry Christmas! [emoji106]

Same to you!

https://store.rc4wd.com/assets/images/Z-L0348.jpg

TITANIUM94010 12-27-2020 12:59 AM

So the SCX10ii RBK kit got delivered on the 24th instead of the 28th, so pretty happy about that

I build up the kit, but cut the battery tray and reciever box to make way for the 550 motor and future TRX4 transmission swap.https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui=...ThmOo&disp=emb

Proline cage is mounted directly on to chassis, with a 3d printed attacher that slots through the rear bumper/LED slots. The front cage is built with 1/4in nylon rods. I was going to use screws, but drilling holes in nylon is apparently really hard, so most of it's currently held up by CA glue. I'll probably mold some black JB weld around contact points for some extra impact strength. I've only got the basic tube chassis shape down, still a long way to go.

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui=...EcFWk&disp=emb

Heres it mocked up with the Proline Raptor body, I cut the rear fenders for the cage. i was going to remount the fenders on the sides of the cage, but made the cuts too early, and when I mocked up the body with the cage in, the fenders sit too low, so I'll still have to go with the SCT fenders.
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui=...wxJ1g&disp=emb

I am still waiting for the SSD trailing arms, when I get those I'll probably take it out for a light test.

TITANIUM94010 12-27-2020 01:02 AM

I'm not sure the CA glue will hold up very well, if I put some JB weld for plastic:https://www.amazon.com/J-B-Weld-8237...05054381&psc=1

around the joint, will it hold well? or should I reglue the tubes with JB weld one by one?

TITANIUM94010 12-27-2020 01:06 AM

Or would this be better? https://www.amazon.com/J-B-Weld-5013...51&sr=8-2&th=1