Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Fricker08’s Comp GMRC build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2020, 11:49 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Fricker08’s Comp GMRC build

What’s up RCC, figured I’d start documenting this build. Picked up a GreenMountainRC ZFG lcg chassis locally. The build specs will be
Capra trans
Capra F9 portals
97mm shocks-for now.
Ecopower wp110
Hobbywing 1080
Holmes hobbies trailmaster 35t
Proline ‘66 Bronco body
I’m building this for my girl but mocking it up with my Capra parts while I wait for my flatgekko. Then I can blow her Capra apart and assemble it.
The chassis came with a 3 gear ax10 trans but it was a little tall and I’d have the whole mess of figuring out a gear ratio that would work. So I drilled some holes in the skid to fit the Capra trans.
I’m running 10.3 links putting the wheel base right about 12.3”
Started building an electronics tray out back, have chassis braces and body mounts coming as well as some mounts for the battery tray.
Looking forward to driving this thing, I can already tell how much more free the suspension is than my vs4-Capra build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2020, 01:16 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Fricker08’s Comp GMRC build

This’ll be dope Following and can’t wait to see progress on it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 01:16 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Gotta love the 1st gen Broncos. What paint scheme you going to go with?
Old 10-11-2020, 09:03 AM   #4
RCC Addict

My girl wants it in sea foam green, so that’s what she’s getting. And I can’t complain because my 1:1 ‘66 Bronco originally came in the same color.
I haven’t got around to painting a body yet, but my buddies were going wheeling yesterday. So I was up until 11 Friday night putting this thing together. Mounted the electronics tray, and modified a spare 10.3 battery tray with the help of some old servo mounts got that mounted.
Let me tell you, this thing is killer on the rocks. By far the most capable fun rig I’ve driven. The new flat iron XL in g8 sure helped too. Had a blast with this thing and got some compliments at the indoor track we went to, then it really shined at Lebanon dam.

Old 10-13-2020, 05:14 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Looking good!

If I’m not mistaken, that looks like NW Hobbies new location? Haven’t been there yet, need to go.

The dam is definitely my favorite spot to go right now, only about 30 minutes away. I usually run out of time before I’ve run out area to drive.
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 05:29 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Heck yeah!

I've been into NW a few times now, easily the largest hobby store (SQ footage) wisd I have ever seen. Their selection is slowly growing as well.

No way they'd let me run my bomber anywhere in there, I've thought about buying something I could run on the large carpet track

They consistently have the rally semi trucks for sale that look pretty cool
NKlamerus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 05:37 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fricker08 View Post
My girl wants it in sea foam green, so that’s what she’s getting. And I can’t complain because my 1:1 ‘66 Bronco originally came in the same color.
I haven’t got around to painting a body yet, but my buddies were going wheeling yesterday. So I was up until 11 Friday night putting this thing together. Mounted the electronics tray, and modified a spare 10.3 battery tray with the help of some old servo mounts got that mounted.
Let me tell you, this thing is killer on the rocks. By far the most capable fun rig I’ve driven. The new flat iron XL in g8 sure helped too. Had a blast with this thing and got some compliments at the indoor track we went to, then it really shined at Lebanon dam.

That is a SWEET looking rig looks very capable and fun!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-13-2020, 09:15 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Hey thanks guys, that is indeed the new Northwest Hobbies location. I’ve got some buddies in Gresham and me being in Wilsonville we had to go check it out. My truck was definitely overkill for the indoor course but it was fun to run around it a couple times and support the place.
That was also my first time to the Dam, and it was worth the drive. That and Lucia falls are about the same distance from me so I’ll have to start splitting those places up.. especially since elk rock is closed right now.
Northwest opened in perfect time for the rainy season though, I hope to see them thrive

Old 10-14-2020, 08:23 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Great looking, and I suspect, performing rig, well done sir!

So, 'rainy season'... in the pnw does that mean monsoon?
pcgab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 09:58 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Looks really nice. I can't believe how many flat rail chassis are out there now. I was looking at GMRC's forward motor mount, because it looked interesting and saw this chassis. Looking forward to what you think about it.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 12:24 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Thanks guys, pcgab our rainy season is just lots of days without sunshine and anywhere from heavy rain to a light annoying drizzle that just gets you wet.

Soze, I stumbled across this chassis locally. They don’t make it in steel anymore. That’s probably my only complaint, is it’s still pretty heavy. Haven’t put it on a scale though. I’ve only driven it the one time but man the combination of the frame 36% overdrive up front and those new flat iron g8’s I was extremely impressed. It’s traveling with me to Idaho this weekend and I hope to find a spot to run it

Old 10-14-2020, 12:41 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Thanks guys, pcgab our rainy season is just lots of days without sunshine and anywhere from heavy rain to a light annoying drizzle that just gets you wet.

Soze, I stumbled across this chassis locally. They don’t make it in steel anymore. That’s probably my only complaint, is it’s still pretty heavy. Haven’t put it on a scale though. I’ve only driven it the one time but man the combination of the frame 36% overdrive up front and those new flat iron g8’s I was extremely impressed. It’s traveling with me to Idaho this weekend and I hope to find a spot to run it

As we're wrapping up our hot as heck and ~0 rain season, that almost, almost sounds nice.

I hadn't caught that you have 36% overdrive, my current rig has ~25% and I'm in love with it. I'm interested to hear your thoughts about od performance as you spend more time with the rig.

Cheers,
Gable
Old 10-17-2020, 11:54 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Pcgab, the 36% is pretty impressive. This thing makes some pretty sharp turns and technical climbs, but the decline is where it really shines. I like it better than running a dig.

My new power plant showed up yesterday.. can’t wait to get this installed

Old 10-18-2020, 02:38 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Pcgab, the 36% is pretty impressive. This thing makes some pretty sharp turns and technical climbs, but the decline is where it really shines. I like it better than running a dig.

My new power plant showed up yesterday.. can’t wait to get this installed
Nice new powerplant, I bet that really kicks the performance up a notch or seven.

I'm thinking about adding under-drive gears to my rear axle to get closer to ~35% OD in the front. Currently mine turns nice and sharp, and certainly declines well, but I think it would pull up a bit more authoritatively with additional od.

Cheers,
Gable
Old 10-18-2020, 07:36 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Thanks man, that’s the hope! Lol I got her installed, just need to button up wiring and do some tuning as well as add a bec. I’d like to add some sliders too but we will see.

I can’t comment on any less overdrive because I just went big from the start lol but that’s one nice thing about the Capra axles is how cheap/fast/easy it is to change that ratio at the portal gears.

Old 10-20-2020, 10:20 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I was thinking on what to do with my GMRC chassis, then i saw your post. The rig looks really good with the 10.3 parts you got there. Just wondering what pinion are you running on your Castle system?
twisted concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 11:21 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted concept View Post
I was thinking on what to do with my GMRC chassis, then i saw your post. The rig looks really good with the 10.3 parts you got there. Just wondering what pinion are you running on your Castle system?

Right on thanks man, hope it inspired you to do a build.
It’s mostly Capra stuff, but I am running a set of 10.3 links I got off eBay. It was short one front upper link of course because I’m running AMS but the stock Capra uppers were close enough in length I just used those.
I was looking to run a 9t pinion but there wasn’t enough adjustment in the Capra trans so I bumped it to 10t and it’s still got a little more gap than I’d like but it will be fine for my driving style.
I haven’t had a chance to tune or drive it yet so I can’t report back on how it runs. Hopefully soon!

Old 10-25-2020, 11:40 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Castle bec installed, wiring cleaned up, got some wheels in the mail, and stepping up to 3s batteries. Headed to Bend this weekend and hoping to get some drive time in with this new motor/esc combo.

Old 10-26-2020, 08:18 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Nice progress, can't wait to hear about your time on the rocks with the new powerplant!

Cheers,
Gable
Old 10-30-2020, 11:57 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Finally getting to test this thing tomorrow. I’ve added some lights, got some new wheels and the flat irons mounted up. I also switched to 3s, and that woke this thing up a bunch.
Headed to central Oregon in the morning and hope to have good reports when I’m back.

Fricker08’s Comp GMRC build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fricker08’s 10.3 Fricker08 Axial SCX10 III 41 03-14-2021 03:50 PM
Fricker08’s Capra build. Fricker08 Axial Capra 28 07-12-2020 08:02 PM
GMRC gets a MOA! 802coma RC4WD Bully 4 06-28-2020 04:44 PM
Scx10 Raw kit build and rebuild. GMRC Drag Queen chassis. OpisOpus Axial SCX10 II 11 03-21-2019 03:26 PM
Angrychair's 1.9 truggy build GMRC Trojen RC Fab angrchair 1.9 Scale Rigs 13 11-21-2018 10:15 PM