Notices

Thread: G-Speed V3 build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2020, 01:19 PM   #61
Gold Star Baby!

Default Re: G-Speed V3 build

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcgab View Post
You totally called it. That solved the cover fitment issues.

Thank you sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcgab View Post
So do the front portals need all the bearings shown in the manual?
And yes, should be as you see it there.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2020, 09:48 PM   #62
Pebble Pounder

I got things buttoned up earlier and got a little bit of time on my big rocks in the back yard. I had to do a few quick steering link adjustments, and I still need to dial in epa a bit.

The clearance is very welcome, and so far I haven't noticed much higher cog instability. It is early days yet, obviously. I think I'm going to add in a touch more pre-load to the front shocks, well... I need to re-build them with some spacers in... I'll do that first.

Headed to Las Cruces tomorrow, already found some interesting looking spots on google earth that I plan to hit. Wife is bringing her new Hoss too, for bashing fun. On a side-note, the Hoss is awesome, it's such a fun little hooligan.

I also tried the landmine's for a few, but as they're mounted on some wheels with little offset, it wasn't much of a test. I'm ordering another set of the TGH huge offset wheels so I can switch between my favorite Hyrax and the landmine's.

some pics:
Attached Images

pcgab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:14 PM   #63
RCC Addict

Looking good man! Cant wait to hear your reports after some run time. I was a little late to the party with help on the axle build. But glad you got them together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fricker08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 07:34 PM   #64
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fricker08 View Post
Looking good man! Cant wait to hear your reports after some run time. I was a little late to the party with help on the axle build. But glad you got them together

Thanks man!

I was looking at the pictures of builds and advice on the bearing to leave out backwards, heh.

I got a few packs in today up here in Las Cruces. I went to the Picacho Peak Recreation Area, and found some fun spots. I'll some pics in a bit. I think we'll go back out there tomorrow, hopefully I can get some video. I suck videoing and driving.

Cheers,
Gable
Old 11-10-2020, 08:02 PM   #65
Pebble Pounder

So far I'm really loving the new axles. I still need to tweak the suspension some, and dial in the links a bit more. So far though, I am loving the little bit more OD, and the axle clearance.

I haven't added any weight to the rear axle, and I think I may need to. I was hoping to avoid it, as I prefer to keep the rig as light as I can. I'll maybe get some brass portal covers for the rear. The front certainly seems to have enough weight. I pulled some difficult lines today, even with very worn out Hyrax's (predator).

I'm definitely ordering more TGH HO wheels, they're awesome, light, easy to assemble, look nice, and help bring the track width back in to close to where it was with the ar44's.

More time on the rocks tomorrow, more thoughts then.

Cheers,
Gable
Old 11-10-2020, 08:09 PM   #66
Pebble Pounder

https://www.blm.gov/visit/picacho-peak-recreation-area

Pretty cool place, if you're ever in the Las Cruces area.
Old 11-16-2020, 06:49 PM   #67
Pebble Pounder

Back from Las Cruces, internet where we were staying was painfully slow. I'll upload some pics in the next few days.

Enjoying the truck quite a bit, still tweaking details here and there. I shaved the steering stops down a little bit to allow me some more room for steering angle. I may try a slightly longer servo arm as well.

So, I'm trying to find somewhere to order my bully 2 kit. I've already ordered a lot of the peripheral parts for the build, but everywhere I look to get the kit is out of stock!

Hopefully I can find one, I would like to get that ordered and built, and most importantly, out on the rocks!
Old 11-16-2020, 07:32 PM   #68
Pebble Pounder

Some pics from beautiful New Mexico!
Attached Images

Old 11-19-2020, 10:23 AM   #69
RCC Addict

Great pics! That looks like some awesome terrain. Glad you’re getting the Capra axles dialed in

Old 11-19-2020, 11:05 AM   #70
Gold Star Baby!

Definitely looks like a great time. Makes me want to do a Capra based build in the future.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 10:39 AM   #71
Pebble Pounder

After I made the Capra axle swap, I thought I would use my ar44's, and the intheworksrc high clearance links for them in my original SCX 10.2 chassis. I got it to work, but there are some issues that are less than ideal. I built that second rig as a 'loaner' rig to let new folks try out to get them hooked

Yesterday was the first day to get some time with the loaner rig. My younger brother came over and we took both rigs to the quarry. The loaner rig did very, very well. The AR44's, as built, are really awesome axles, fantastic turning radius, and good clearance considering they aren't portals. My little brother is definitely hooked, so I decided to order another G-Speed V3 chassis, this time in G10.

When I was ordering the chassis, I noticed that they had the hard body sliders back in stock, so I ordered a pair of those. My plan, for the moment is to get a clod, or maybe hilux hardbody, will likely pinch the front a bit, depending on clearance, and use that on my Capra axle rig, or the new one, who knows

I was initially planning on building a Bully II kit about now, but everywhere is out of stock until January or early February! I've been buying all the little peripheral bits I want for the bully. So far I'll be using the following:

Bully II moa kit
Dravtech ~90mm shocks
Holmes Hobbies Snub Nose Revolvers - 1500kv iirc.
Mamba X micro's
HiTec 7955tg
CI foams
Bully tires, Ibex tires, and I think I'll order some D-Lux 2.2 beadlocks as well.

I ordered a bunch of Avid sealed bearings to replace all the axle bearings, as I've read the stock ones aren't the best.

I'll start a thread when I actually get the kit.

When the new G-Speed chassis comes in later this week, I'll snap some build pics of the new 'loaner' rig.
Old 12-11-2020, 09:16 AM   #72
Pebble Pounder

I got the loaner rig running, will be taking it out today with my little brother. Specs are:

G-Speed TGH V3 - G10 chassis
TGH dual servo mount
G-Speed hardbody sliders (will add a hardbody soon)
InTheWorksRC high clearance stainless links
AR44 axles with Vanquish internals, OD in the front, UD in the rear
Hot Racing aluminum transmission housing with upgraded internals
SSD 90mm shocks, replacing with modded big bores with mini-t springs
1080 esc
HH Trailmaster Sport 27t
HiTec 7955tg
heyok bec
JConcepts landmines
CI foams

Will snap some pics when we're out on the rocks.
Old 12-11-2020, 07:17 PM   #73
RCC Addict

Can’t wait to see it!
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 07:00 PM   #74
Pebble Pounder

I put together a new body for my 'loaner' rig. I picked it up awhile ago at an awesome shop down in San Antonio, RCHQ fwiw. It's a 1979 Ford F150 for the Ascender. I love this era of Ford trucks so I bought it on a whim when I saw it.

It doesn't fit great, but I cut it to death anyway. I'm going to make a rear cage and bed at some point for it, for now I made a quick and dirty bracket to mount the rear of the cab.

I'm going to add some lights on top of the front of the fenders too I think. Ultimately I think I'll probably give this truck to my little brother, as I've recently got him addicted to crawling.

Loaner rig summary:

G-Speed TGH V3 G10
G-Speed Delrin skid
G-Speed printed sliders, though might make some metal ones that hold and protect the edge of the cab
HH Trailmaster Sport 27t, iirc
HobbyWing 1080
30kg Amazon servo, as the old Hitec 7955tg I had in it burned itself up. Might upgrade to HH SH500V3... or at least something better than the Amazon servo.
InTheWorks RC high clearance stainless links
Vanquish loaded ar44's, overdrive in the front, underdrive in the rear... I think that makes it close to 25% total?
Currently using DumboRC radio, but am giving him a hacked GT3.
CI foams all around and Landmines on it now.
SSD 90mm shocks, switching to modded big bores soon.

It's a lot of fun to drive, I love the AR44's, such awesome turning capability. The landmine's are working well, I'm very pleased with these tires.

Some pics:
Attached Images

Old 12-24-2020, 07:15 PM   #75
Pebble Pounder

I got a Clod Buster body in, and I ordered a 3d printed grille for pinched clod's from The Crawl Space. My plan is to pinch and dovetail the clod boy and run that on my capra axle rig.

I also got some hardbody mount sliders from G-Speed to make it easier.

I'll post some progress pics once I get around to the body.

For now, Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays to everyone ~
Old 12-24-2020, 09:05 PM   #76
RCC Addict

Looking forward to seeing how the hard body turns out! The loaner rig looks good.
Thanks for those measurements again, unfortunately I haven’t made any progress on my new build but hopefully soon.

Old 12-28-2020, 08:11 AM   #77
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fricker08 View Post
Looking forward to seeing how the hard body turns out! The loaner rig looks good.
Thanks for those measurements again, unfortunately I haven’t made any progress on my new build but hopefully soon.

You're welcome!

Thank you, I like the loaner rig, the ar44's can turn so nice and tight.

I made a tiny bit of progress last night on the clod body, I cut the front fenders a bit where they meet at the grille, and made cut-outs in the bed for the shock hoops. I think I'll cut the rear fenders, at the very rear of the bed, but not dove-tail the bed, at least not yet.

I'll snap some pics once I mock it up on the chassis.
Old 01-19-2021, 09:42 AM   #78
Pebble Pounder

I got the Clod body pinched in front, and trimmed, cleaned, sanded and primed. I switched sliders to the G-Speed hardbody sliders and mounted it up. I also mounted a slightly trimmed down pinched Clod grille that I purchased from The Crawl Space.

I took it out for some crawling and I think the clearances are ok. I might trim a tiny bit off the front of the front fenders, and possibly a little off the rear.

I haven't bobbed the bed, and am on the fence about it. So far it doesn't seem to be causing me any issues, but time will tell.

Now I need to get a servo winch. I was looking at the 3 Brothers Overland package:

https://www.3brothersrc.com/product-...ch-coming-soon

But it's out of stock, and I'm not sure when it will be back in stock.

Any suggestions? I'm only getting the winch for comps that will require it. ..... and I just noticed on Instagram that TGH is about to release some direct power winches... depending on price point, I may just do that.

re: Hardbody; I doubt I will do an interior, but I'm going to fill the sun roof opening with some metal grill material, the same material that I made a 'roof rack' out of on my power wagon body. I will probably either fill the hood scoop hole, or make a small light bar mount for it. I'm going to put headlights in the spots on the grille as well.

Basically I want the rig to have as much performance as possible, while maximizing scale points, and to be as durable as possible. Pretty obvious goals I think, haha.

a few pics of the truck in primer. If I get some more time, I may do a few more small body mods, then paint it gun metal or something.
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2021, 10:02 PM   #79
I wanna be Dave

The Minion and I attended my first comp in over a decade last weekend in Albuquerque NM. After our last crawl, I had some things I wanted to try. So this was an opportunity for me to do some testing in a new area,

Good turnout!

First change I made was I switched over to a set of 1.9 J-Concepts Landmines in the Green compound and I’m thoroughly impressed.

They sidebilled great and climbed aggressively!

At the bare minimum, they as good as my Hyrax or Crawlers in Predator, maybe better in some locations?

I added the Super Shafty rear Link Riser to assist in my climbs.

Worked great, made a 50 foot tall vertical climb at the comp, wish someone would have got a pic of that! 😐

I switched to the Mini T pink springs up front, added a 5mm spacer under my front shock piston to limit travel and went to 60wt oil from 40 weight. It really settled the front.

Feels very planted and smooth now!

I lower the body even more. Over half an inch lower than before. Just trying to get everything as low as possible!

Not sure it it’s really noticeable in this pic?

I also switched from Pro Line Duel Stage foams to TOR VooDoo Halo foams.

1.9 Halo Air Downs up front and 1.9 Halo Whites in the rear.

Very different from CI l’s or the Pro Line Duel Stage foams I’m used to using.

I was skeptical at first, but they really worked well on the indoor course we ran after the comp.

Check out the wrinkle on that tire! 😁

Overall I’m very pleased with the results. It crawls like a goat and clings to the rocks like spider!
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 08:40 AM   #80
Quarry Creeper

I dig the primer on the clod body!
Lashlee is offline   Reply With Quote

G-Speed V3 build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Xtra speed Jeep build wrx-n-ktm 1.9 Scale Rigs 1 12-10-2018 07:41 PM
2 speed wraith build imcochrane Axial Wraith 5 02-05-2016 08:10 AM
2 Speed Build Scaler Build Wisco 1.9 Scale Rigs 13 09-17-2014 01:43 PM
3 speed Scale build. lonleycreeper HPI Wheely King 70 12-26-2012 09:13 PM
Want to build a speed demon... have a few questions mcho78 Non Crawler RC's 11 03-31-2012 09:57 PM