Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: What axles are you running and why?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2020, 12:13 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default What axles are you running and why?

Thought I’d start this up instead of going through countless build threads. Hope y’all don’t mind.
My Procrawler flatgekko chassis is finally in the mail and I’m torn on how to build it.
My question is what axles are you running on your lcg builds and why? If you don’t mind sharing.
My current setup is Capra axles with TGH 36% OD and it is killer. But the width is a bit much at times. I’m torn between sticking with the goat axles, 10.3 portals.. which I’m not sure I can run AMS, pro44’s or pro44 portals even though They don’t recommend their front portal on their axles.. Or built ar44’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2020, 06:58 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: What axles are you running and why?

I have 3 different 1.9s.

Two have the Ar44 Axial, light weight good clearance and can turn tight. They are on light comp rigs, They are not the strongest and maybe not the best for trail but I am a non aggressive driver and like them for comp. One is Class 2 and the other is class 1.

I also have a set of Enduro axles but they had terrible torque twist. I know have them on a comp rig with 30% OD, class 2. The toque twist is gone. Not sure if it is the OD or the chassis. I suspect both. I think the low pinion on the Enduro makes the drive line angle more of an issue? With the additional mounting point on the comp chassis it was easier to play around more with the drive line angles.

I still use the Enduro chassis (my class 1) with AR44 axles. Because the pinon sits higher on those axles it was easier to get better drive line angles. I didn't like the Enduro chassis with the Enduro axles but I really like it with the AR 44s.

I have TRX4s for comp class 3 (2.2) and I use the selectable lockers allot. They don't turn tight enough for 12" gates but for class 3 the gates are wider.

Last edited by MOguy; 11-12-2020 at 10:30 AM.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:54 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

I swapped AR44's onto a capra cause why not, i drove it the other day after i swapped motors and yes it leaves something to be desired HOWEVER sometimes a slightly less capable rig is more fun "frustrating" to pull difficult lines. Now with that said what does one do with leftover capra running gear? well im glad you asked, Firstly you start with a STH V1W chassis and parts throw in a dash of 4WS and BAM basically an unstoppable rig. Although i broke a set of portal gears on the last outing so i need to order a new overdrive set and some ssd brass knuckles and mount up some hyraxs and C.I. lil novas on some new to me wheels.

Doomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:59 AM   #4
Gold Star Baby!

Except the trx6, ifs Baja bug, and VS410 I’m running AR44 axles with ssd housings on pretty much everything (I guess 1 ar45 rear porta too). Metal tubes and plastic pumpkins works out great in my experience.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 10:54 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Right on guys thanks for the replies. I think I’m going to go with built ar44’s. Or standard pro44’s. I’ve got an extra Capra lying around so if I feel the desire to go that way I can. Now I just need to find a trans and adapt it to the skid I ordered setup for a Capra trans..

Old 11-12-2020, 11:15 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fricker08 View Post
Right on guys thanks for the replies. I think I’m going to go with built ar44’s. Or standard pro44’s. I’ve got an extra Capra lying around so if I feel the desire to go that way I can. Now I just need to find a trans and adapt it to the skid I ordered setup for a Capra trans..

I really like the Enduro trans. it gives you additional options for OD/UD.
Old 11-14-2020, 12:27 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Just ordered a set of ssd pro44 axles, should be here next week. Then I can send the chassis axles and shocks off to intheworks rc to have a custom link kit built.
Still tossing around what trans. I considered the enduro trans, but by the time I spend the money upgrading the gears I might as well have bought the TGH 2.low so I’m thinking that’s what’s coming next.

Old 11-14-2020, 07:58 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I've got a set of Capra axles under a TGH Sherpa chassis and a set of Enduro axles under a GSpeed V3 chassis.
Lashlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 06:20 AM   #9

I'm running some AR45p under a crawl space game changer (my current C2) and TRX4 axles under a VS4-10 (with VFD) as my C1. I've previously run AR44 and Capra axles on the C2, and most of my other trucks are AR44 based

Edit: Forgot the "why"

AR44 because my first crawler was a 10.2, and I love the steering you get out of them. Also the easy availability of.. everything for them.
TRX4 because they have enough of an offset to work with a VFD and less $$$ than VP axles (although I liked the VS4-10 enough that I do have a set of offset f9 axles now). I also wanted to play with locking diffs.
Capra because I wanted to try portals on my C2, and I liked the idea of the stability of 9.7" track with TGH HO wheels
AR45p (10.3) because I can get great steering with the VP front housing, with a lower track width than the Capra axles.

Last edited by Munchagepeople; 11-15-2020 at 06:38 AM.
Munchagepeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 08:38 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Hey thanks for the replies, I highly doubt these pro44’s will be the last set of axles under this rig. I’ve got another Capra laying around so it’s very possible I’ll go that route at some point

Old 11-19-2020, 10:34 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fricker08 View Post
Just ordered a set of ssd pro44 axles, should be here next week. Then I can send the chassis axles and shocks off to intheworks rc to have a custom link kit built.
Still tossing around what trans. I considered the enduro trans, but by the time I spend the money upgrading the gears I might as well have bought the TGH 2.low so I’m thinking that’s what’s coming next.

I have the 2low in build with a Brazin SCX10 team chassis. It the 2losw is wider but lower profile then the Enduro trans. The workmanship on the 2 low trans is incredible and it is smooth, so smooth. Their mount was a different story. I broke two screws while trying to install the mount. I only tried the 2 screws and gave up on it. I ended up drilling, dremeling and shimming and I got the 2 low to fit nicely into the Endruo trans skid. It actually sit lower because I have it a little tilted.

The 2 low is about $150, the stealth is about $50 and will have a gear set giving you 12% underdrive. Hot racing and other offer a 25% OD for the Enduro trans.

You can get the Axial 12% OD for front and vanquish sells a almost 10% for the rear. With my ar44 class 2 rig I run 12% in the front with gears and 12% in the trans. it didn't take long before I stripped out the rear stock gear and replaced them with something better.

I like how the Enduro trans sits better in the frame rail then the TGH 2low. My Enduro trans is in a Corrupt Carbon LandShark chassis. I like that endure offers more OD options. You can set the stealth lower than the 2low but even then the 2low will have a slightly lower center of gravity and with their mount to work a smoother belly.

I can't really tell you which is the best way to go, I just though I would share my experience.
Old 11-19-2020, 11:14 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Hey, I appreciate the reply for sure. I haven’t pulled the trigger on anything yet so I’ve got some stuff to take into consideration. You’re not the first person I’ve heard complain about the mount. Nothings off the table yet, with my work situation things are on hold for a minute until I can free up some funds

Old 11-20-2020, 06:30 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I use a 2.low with Enduro axles without any issues, though I've just finished the build with only two packs through it. I didn't have any issue with the install of my 2.low, overall a very fine piece of machinery.
Lashlee is offline   Reply With Quote

What axles are you running and why? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's everyone running in the front for axles AWraith build Axial Yeti 20 09-18-2015 05:27 PM
Guys running ar60 axles Androtaz Maine 9 04-03-2014 07:31 PM
What Knuckles are you running with Your Berg Axles? LetsHandleit EnRoute Berg 27 07-26-2009 02:36 AM
Zero 3.5 with Bully axles? Anyone running them? cruciface General Crawlers 10 12-25-2008 07:51 PM