Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: RTR Wraith, best first performance upgrades?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2020, 03:12 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default RTR Wraith, best first performance upgrades?

As per title, bought myself, my Dad and my brother-in-law a 1.9 Wraith each, those two will probably just run stock until stuff breaks, but I like to gain a little performance here and there.
I know about the obvious stuff such as tyres and shocks... But is there any particular weak spots on this rig I can upgrade?
Been searching RPP, Amain and such, but even searching in the 1.9 Wraith section doesn't bring up much sadly, figured I'd ask you guys instead
Oh How Original is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2020, 05:56 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: RTR Wraith, best first performance upgrades?

Front chassis brace and front bumper mount is necessary, SSD makes nice pieces. 1.9 wraith uses a updated 3 gear transmission if memory serves me correctly that never gave me any problems on 3S brushless, standard AR44 axles and plastic links. Pretty reliable and robust for the most part besides the front chassis. One of my favorite trucks for sure. As for performance like you said tires and shocks, some brass up front on the axle, metal links, universals and some OD/ and or UD is pretty much all you can do to the wraith 1.9. But with those mods its a great performer.
Doomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 05:57 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

As with any RTR, the servo is going to be crap. I'd invest in a hi-torque servo, and clamping aluminum servo horn as the first mod to an RTR rig. Next, I'd do tires and foams. Once the rig is steering well and hooking up, you can better asses what you want to replace or upgrade down the road.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 07:26 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I am running my latest purchase hard to see what it’s limitations are and so far for the most part it is only me. Knowing how to approach obstacles and what speed to use, how to finesse the throttle, and save a rollover are the key to having fun with one of these trucks I think. And with only so many parts you can change it’s kind of cool to take it slowly so you don’t lose interest. Just my .02.

Having said that, tires and foams are pound for pound the most noticeable change I’ve made so far in both of my rigs (assuming esc is a decent one, if not then do that first. A jerky esc will pretty much negate all of the tweaking).
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 07:33 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Ordered the SSD braces, I forgot about those, remembered Harley printing some up, servo and stuff is sorted, just mostly want to iron out actual weak points or inexpensive performance upgrades.
Old 12-08-2020, 03:51 PM   #6
RCC Addict

My main rig now is a 1.9 Wraith, lovin it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
As with any RTR, the servo is going to be crap.
I definitely would recommend replacing the servo (And servo Horn)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomp View Post
Front chassis brace and front bumper mount is necessary, SSD makes nice pieces. 1.9 wraith uses a updated 3 gear transmission if memory serves me correctly that never gave me any problems on 3S brushless, standard AR44 axles and plastic links.
Can't say enough good things about SSD parts! I have their bumper mount installed and it's great. I also bought their chassis braces but I haven't installed them. I guess after their initial release Axial actually stepped up and began molding the front of the chassis differently. I can't speak for all the braces, but the SSD braces I have will only fit the first run of chassis' unless ya remove plastic, etc.

The transmission and Axles are holding up AMAZING!

I also replaced the plastic links with a set from Incision/Vanquish, replaced the spring caps on the shocks with Beef Tips, and I replaced the transmission housing with Vanquish. The transmission work was certainly not necessary and I basically did it for the bling factor
Of Course, I changed the wheels and tires and radio to suit me, but I'm still running the stock ESC (and enjoying it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildirt View Post
Knowing how to approach obstacles and what speed to use, how to finesse the throttle, and save a rollover are the key to having fun with one of these trucks I think.
Like always, knowing your rig, how it handles, and how to drive it makes ALL the difference. Practice makes perfect!
grob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 05:28 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

So it appears I should have researched, my Wraith already has the second version of the front pieces which are weak and the SSD brace doesn't go on.
I think the only way to fit would be to remove some material, which seems a silly thing to do, unless it's worth it for the SSD bracing?
If not I will just give the braces away to someone with an older version.
Old 12-13-2020, 03:34 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

The SSD brace will work on a V2 chassis. Just use a little force and you can push it on. No trimming or modding required.
rob5059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 02:05 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob5059 View Post
The SSD brace will work on a V2 chassis. Just use a little force and you can push it on. No trimming or modding required.
I can't confirm this...
I didn't spend much time on it, and I may have been doing it wrong, but I couldn't get them to squeeze past the plastic no matter how hard I pushed. Back in the parts bin they go for a rainy day.
grob23 is offline   Reply With Quote