Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Building a cross rc sg4a my experience so far.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2021, 07:58 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Building a cross rc sg4a my experience so far.

I guess this is a semi rant/inquiry into others experience...
I’m about half way through my build, axles and suspension mounted to the chassis and it’s been a mixed bag. Some of it is very nice and some of it seems pretty disappointing. It’s the quality of the plastic that has been plaguing me. The batch of plastic that my pieces for my kit where molded in seems low low quality and brittle. Has anyone else had this experience? I’ve had a few pieces break in my hands just trying to thread pieces into them or press pieces together. I’m not ham fisted and not rushing it. One broken piece could be my fault but I’ve had three separate pieces break rather easily. Even my parts trees where a mess with many pieces already fallen off. I want to like this kit and I’m gonna keep it but it’s not what I was hoping for.

Last edited by Hanshotfirst; 02-13-2021 at 09:02 PM.
Hanshotfirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2021, 07:00 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Building a cross rc sg4a my experience so far.

I recently built one of their “C” kits with metal almost everywhere. However, one of the plastic rock sliders was broken in the box and I noticed that the few other remaining plastic bits had a strange “feel” to them. The plastic looks and feels as if it has no glass fiber and you really need to pay close attention when screwing into the plastic. Very easy to overtighten and strip it out.
King Dork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 07:45 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

The positive things I’ll say about the kit are that it looks great and the metal parts are very nice. The shocks (the parts that are metal of course) are very nice. I bought the A version because I knew I’d be spending extra to take care of some of the short comings of the kit. In particular the transmission, the front axle shafts, the tabs where the links mount to on the chassis and the rear suspension location. As for the upgraded transmission, I will say right away that it is a nice piece of kit. Very well made and just looks nice. Any of the components that are metal are nice. I took my axles apart as I expected I was going to have to shim them, they were a little light on grease but after some quality lube went in there, they were pretty good. I did have to adjust the tightness of the diff cover screws as they were too tight from the factory and that was causing some binding.
The bad: when threading the plastic shock ends onto the shock shaft, the tolerance was so tight that trying to cut the threads with the shock shaft caused the rod end to flare out and the spring retainer would not fit over it. Trying to get one to fit on with light pressure resulted in a broken piece. The fix, some nice brass from Scamazon. The second broken piece, the front bumper. Trying to press the black hoop of the bumper into its place on the bumper itself resulted in it breaking. It seems like the manufacturing of the plastic pieces is just a little shoddy. Fixed it with some plastistruct but how long it will last? The third broken piece was on of the servo mounting brackets on the axle. While using an m3 tap to cut the threads to try and avoid breaking the piece by threading it with a screw, resulted in it cracking and breaking. Some weldbond and its back together but for how long.
Hanshotfirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 09:37 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Overall I’m pleased with the kit. I’ve built a lot of kits and the Cross was one of my favorite kits to build. I bought the upgraded transmission straight away and it’s quite impressive. I’ll buy the MIP front cvds if/when they break but I won’t be abusing this truck too much. I have several other rigs that I abuse.
King Dork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 11:12 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Contact Bob at the HobbyTown in Oshkosh Wisconsin. He is the one behind importing Cross RC into the US. He should help you out and also probably have the parts on hand.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
wblteen is offline   Reply With Quote

Building a cross rc sg4a my experience so far. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone have experience with the Cross RC stuff? daveflave1275 1.9 Scale Rigs 2 06-13-2019 02:43 PM
Building the 10.2 Kit, any tips to consider before building HumboldtEF Axial SCX10 II 7 10-25-2017 03:41 PM
My experience in the building the Orlandoo Hunter 1/35 F-150 MAXXMASHER Micro Scale Rigs 24 09-11-2016 07:43 AM
Anyone know or have experience with Cross RC? TIME MACHINE General Crawlers 13 02-07-2016 01:18 PM
Building jk new bright on cross canyon chassis 1.9s9s mtgrizzlymn Axial SCX-10 2 01-21-2013 10:04 AM