Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Questions about mounting bodies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2021, 02:35 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Questions about mounting bodies

Hi guys, I was curious what would be the best way to mount a crawler body with magnets.... I just don't want to drill holes this time... Going for a more scale look, and maybe this could be a multi rig body...

I'm scared that the shoo goo/Amazing goop will bubble the paint, and or do a lousy job holding the magnets on, or the magnets would be too strong and rip the paint off along with the shoo goo...

I already have ideas of 3d printing slots for the magnets, just not sure the best size of magnet yet, been doing a lot of research, just hard to choose on what size of magnet... I seen disc neodymium magnets, bars cubes lol, hard to decide...

Thanks guys
-Spence
Spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2021, 04:12 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I will say that this method if followed to the letter (use clear tape) works incredible. If paint is fully cured(1 week) E6000 or Shoe Goo will not pull away or destroy the paint. I just replaced Beas body and took the old magnets off.....or tried to. I did cut them off finally to recycle them.
Standard 1/2 with a hole in them

https://youtu.be/JattsfLcmuw

Find them on EBay

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 04:41 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Questions about mounting bodies

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
I will say that this method if followed to the letter (use clear tape) works incredible. If paint is fully cured(1 week) E6000 or Shoe Goo will not pull away or destroy the paint. I just replaced Beas body and took the old magnets off.....or tried to. I did cut them off finally to recycle them.
Standard 1/2 with a hole in them

https://youtu.be/JattsfLcmuw

Find them on EBay

Hang up and Drive

Cool, thanks a bunch, I saw that exact video funny enough, but thanks for your advice and experience with the magnets and shoo goo/amazing goop/e6000 and that it doesn't tear up the paint.
Old 02-17-2021, 04:48 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

No problem. The single biggest tip I can pass on is patience . You really do need to wait 24 hours for them to completely cure, before separating them with the clear tape in between them.then they are incredibly strong. My current cab uses 4, two down low, two on the front posts, you won’t see anything in the paint after mounting.
My lower mounts

Hang up and Drive
Old 02-17-2021, 04:54 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
No problem. The single biggest tip I can pass on is patience . You really do need to wait 24 hours for them to completely cure, before separating them with the clear tape in between them.then they are incredibly strong. My current cab uses 4, two down low, two on the front posts, you won’t see anything in the paint after mounting.
My lower mounts

Hang up and Drive
Thanks a bunch, my last question, is have you had the magnets ever rip off the body?

Thanks a bunch man really appreciate your help

Building a proline metric (2006-13 toyota tacoma) body well another one lol, gonna be the toyota speedway blue color
Old 02-17-2021, 05:44 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Nope. I’ve mounted 3 bodies for the VS4 (two stock) and an SR5 body for it. This is the second body on Bea, I ripped the front up last year, magnets lasted through it all.

Hang up and Drive
Old 02-17-2021, 05:48 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Yep, ring magnets are a must as are the body post in the middle to prevent it from shifting around. Thats the same video I would have posted too.

I will say even with fully cured paint I have seen E6000 take off paint BUT that was only after it was agitated a bunch.

If you have a 3D printer I found it useful to print up a few mock ups of the magnets. This was handy because the magnets like to pop loose from what your working on and stick to the chassis or any nearby metal. I used the mock ups (along with their mounts) to look at the body height.

When you are ready to glue them down I suggest letting it dry for 48 hours before you try to yank the body off just to play it safe.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 02-17-2021 at 05:53 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote

Questions about mounting bodies - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mounting hard bodies Bogncrawl Paint and Body 2 03-25-2013 09:25 PM
Mounting Bodies Nitroguy360 Newbie General 4 05-31-2011 03:35 PM
mounting bodies to the wall? NeXt559 Paint and Body 8 05-01-2009 12:08 AM
Mounting Hard bodies rquarte General Scale Talk 10 09-11-2008 06:59 PM
mounting hard bodies offlander1 General Scale Talk 11 03-19-2008 11:45 AM