Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: 4 Wheel Steering

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2021, 12:22 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default 4 Wheel Steering

Hi guys, I have a question. How do I go about setting up 4 wheel steering? I've bought two complete front portal axles, extra steering link, rear mounted servo/bumper mount, and extra servo. I think that's all the parts that I need???? If not please let me know.

What I'm having a problem with is figuring out how to make it all work. I assume there's either some sort of module I need or a certain way to wire all in to my receiver. Can someone give me a link to a thread that will explain it to me or just explain it please?

Also I guess I can't figure out how to search for threads??? When I touch the magnifying glass and type in what I'm looking for (4 wheel steering) it says something about only aloud to make a search every 30 secs or something and I have to wait before I can make another search. I've tried looking for several different things but always get the same results

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
TwiztidDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2021, 01:28 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 4 Wheel Steering

The search function has been screwed up forever now. I don’t use it because of that. In google type: site: Rccrawler........ search word.

For 4ws you either need a 3 position switch on your radio, or Im pretty sure you can mix it to work with your 2nd channel. Otherwise you can buy a servo splitter/reverser. This will most likely require a BEC.
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 02:43 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default 4 Wheel Steering

First off you need the proper Tx/Rx combination.
For example my Futaba mixes the steering on two channels and is controlled by the switch I set. This is a 4 channel radio.
If you have a 3channel you can get an adapter that will allow your steering .
Al here at RCC runs HeyOK and he has one. Bastiens also sold one, don’t know if it’s available still.

https://www.freewebstore.org/heyok-p...2_8019645.aspx

Hang up and Drive

Last edited by mikemcE; 02-24-2021 at 02:46 PM.
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 02:44 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

The setup will depend on what radio/receiver you use.

I just setup a Spektrum radio with 4WS, front servo goes to the steering channel rear servo uses one of the aux channels. Then in the radio settings I selected 4WS and selected which aux channel is used for rear steering, created drive modes (FS, RS, 4WS and crab mode) then set their order.
Theres a lot of little details for setup and all of that will depend on what radio you use. Check the manual for 4 wheel steering setup, if it supports this it should have a section for setup.

HeyOk makes solution for 4WS https://www.freewebstore.org/heyok-p...2_8019645.aspx
I think this is aimed at radios that may not have all the options required to fine tune 4WS.

My Spektrum setup uses a 3 position switch but gets 4 or more functions out of it.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 09:43 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

You guys are awesome thank you so much!! I plan on ordering a dx5 rugged and after reading up on it it has a 4WS mode on it. Thank you for explaining to me how to hook it up and giving me a couple different options

Old 02-25-2021, 06:19 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiztidDevil View Post
I think that's all the parts that I need????
Not sure if this set up will be chassis mounted servo or an axle mounted servo . If it's on the chassis, don't forget you will most likely need the suspension to be a three link with a panhard.
OnTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 01:00 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

One thing that wasn't explained well with the Spektrum 4WS setup was the drive modes. This video helped me out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4DE...ature=youtu.be
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:10 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Looks like you have a bunch of feedback on 4WS. If you can find one, the best radio out there is the airtronics MT4 or MT4s. they have a lever by the left thumb that is perfect. Sadly they stopped making them.

The best way i've found to search for stuff on rccrawler is to type this into a google search.

type your subject here site:www.rccrawler.com
for example

4ws site:www.rccrawler.com
dna4engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 09:01 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheTrail View Post
Not sure if this set up will be chassis mounted servo or an axle mounted servo . If it's on the chassis, don't forget you will most likely need the suspension to be a three link with a panhard.
I planned on making them chassis mounted using front bumper servo relocation mounts on both ends. I've already modified one to fit the rear of the chassis. Had planned on doing a panhard setup up front with 4 link in the rear???? This is my first time doing 4WS.

Old 03-04-2021, 09:03 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna4engr View Post
Looks like you have a bunch of feedback on 4WS. If you can find one, the best radio out there is the airtronics MT4 or MT4s. they have a lever by the left thumb that is perfect. Sadly they stopped making them.

The best way i've found to search for stuff on rccrawler is to type this into a google search.

type your subject here site:www.rccrawler.com
for example

4ws site:www.rccrawler.com
I ordered a spectrum Dx5 rugged tx. Read a bunch of good reviews and it has a 4ws mode. Hopefully I can get it all put together. I think I'll make a build thread for it so y'all can watch and tell me if I'm doing wrong.

4 Wheel Steering - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Four Wheel Steering Ecranu General Scale Talk 1 01-02-2017 12:25 AM
need 4 wheel steering help creaturecrawler Axial SCX-10 2 09-23-2012 05:14 PM
4 Wheel Steering dtmcnamara HPI Wheely King 16 08-27-2007 08:45 PM
M8 steering wheel BeadLock Electronics 3 09-12-2005 09:57 AM