Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: TBuggy's Gspeed V1 C1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2021, 12:45 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default TBuggy's Gspeed V1 C1

I have another Gspeed build in the works currently in progress. I have just a few things left to get so I can call this one complete.

This build I am taking one of these;
IMG_3205 by T Buggy, on Flickr

and combining it with one of these, well maybe just the axles LOL;
IMG_3203 by T Buggy, on Flickr

I couldn't decide on transmissions so I got one of each, and in case you were wondering no its not an addiction, I can quite at anytime...just one more build!

Ti begin, I plan on starting with the TGH FMM combined with a creeper t. After some testing I will swap it out with a 2.low. I also have a ODT V1 from Salinas design concepts as well as a VFD. While I was waiting for the TGH FMM to arrive I did play around with installing the VFD transmission and I will have to say it dropped in like it was meant for it! I definitely am interested in doing some future comparisons between the transmissions.

Since I will be running AR45 axles I had to flip the FMM around. I didn't think the jig was necessary I just held a square on the skid plate and lined up the FMM that way. Came out perfect IMO.
IMG_3325 by T Buggy, on Flickr

As for my links, I went with a custom set by InTheWorks.
1/4" SS high clearance lowers
3/16" SS high clearance uppers
3/16" Ti sterring links

I want to add that InTheWorks seems to be very very busy right now, almost too busy. When I got my links first thing I noticed was that I was shorted 12 rod ends and balls. I let them know and they will be sending me them ASAP. In the meantime I was able to use a combination of spares to get things mocked up.
IMG_3361 by T Buggy, on Flickr

IMG_3360 by T Buggy, on Flickr

After flipping the front upper link around in every possible orientation it seems that running it this way with the flipped FMM is the way to go.
IMG_3340 by T Buggy, on Flickr

Picture from underneath showing the links are close at full compression but not actually touching.
IMG_3342 by T Buggy, on Flickr

Got my creeper T today. I flipped it around to run on the driver side in order to line up nicer with the AR45 axles. It was a very simple process. But while doing so I noticed that no locktite was used on the screws for the case. Good thing I noticed and maybe for anyone else who picked one up recently should check their screws in case you haven't already.
IMG_3345 by T Buggy, on Flickr

IMG_3351 by T Buggy, on Flickr

IMG_3353 by T Buggy, on Flickr

IMG_3358 by T Buggy, on Flickr

Stay tuned I will post more ASAP.
TBuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2021, 09:24 AM   #2
Go Buckeyes!

Default Re: TBuggy's Gspeed V1 C1

Looking great so far! It's coming together nicely! It's nice to see more of these V1 builds here on RCC. I greatly appreciate the info you provided me on my V1 build.

I really like the looks of your beefy lower links and like the idea of using smaller diameter links for the uppers. I'm going to get my order in for another set of ITW links for mine.

I see your running the G11 servo. I've been thinking about grabbing the G11 and winch combo that 3Bros offers. I think it will make for a great servo for a lighter build like the V1.

Just got my Creeper in the mail yesterday. Hoping to get the gears flipped tonight. I'll definitely be adding a few drops of threadlock to mine!

I'll be tuned in to see more!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 12:43 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Looking great so far! It's coming together nicely! It's nice to see more of these V1 builds here on RCC. I greatly appreciate the info you provided me on my V1 build.

I really like the looks of your beefy lower links and like the idea of using smaller diameter links for the uppers. I'm going to get my order in for another set of ITW links for mine.

I see your running the G11 servo. I've been thinking about grabbing the G11 and winch combo that 3Bros offers. I think it will make for a great servo for a lighter build like the V1.

Just got my Creeper in the mail yesterday. Hoping to get the gears flipped tonight. I'll definitely be adding a few drops of threadlock to mine!

I'll be tuned in to see more!
I saw the G11/winch combo back a while ago and picked one up for this build.

As far as the links go I think I will be contacting ITW about my set I just measured up my wheel base and its just over 12", and I specifically ordered 11.4" links with a SCX10 style skid. After seeing your post and pulled out a 2.low skid I have to compare the difference I think they were designed for that skid instead. I will be honest I want to be really happy with these links but now with the wheelbase being longer than I want and the panhard/steering link being too short I feel like I haven't gotten what I paid for. Oh and I was missing 12 rod ends and balls so I could even put them together right away. I called them out on this right away and they do have a new set coming my way so I do believe when I inquire about the links they will do right. At least I hope so cause I had ordered a second set that hasn't arrived yet and I hope to not have similar issues with that set too.
Old 05-13-2021, 06:34 AM   #4
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBuggy View Post
I saw the G11/winch combo back a while ago and picked one up for this build.

As far as the links go I think I will be contacting ITW about my set I just measured up my wheel base and its just over 12", and I specifically ordered 11.4" links with a SCX10 style skid. After seeing your post and pulled out a 2.low skid I have to compare the difference I think they were designed for that skid instead. I will be honest I want to be really happy with these links but now with the wheelbase being longer than I want and the panhard/steering link being too short I feel like I haven't gotten what I paid for. Oh and I was missing 12 rod ends and balls so I could even put them together right away. I called them out on this right away and they do have a new set coming my way so I do believe when I inquire about the links they will do right. At least I hope so cause I had ordered a second set that hasn't arrived yet and I hope to not have similar issues with that set too.
Yeah, that sounds like the exact same problem I'm having. Ordered for a 11.4" wheelbase and links are too long for the GSpeed skid. They do seem to be cut for the 2.Low skid. I think instead of ordering new links, I'm going to use the 2.Low skid for now and see how everything lines up. Hopefully ITW will get it straightened out for you.

I'm bummed! I just checked 3Bros website for the G11/winch combo and it is no longer available for $99. I should have jumped on that deal sooner!
Old 05-18-2021, 12:09 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

So I received another set of links from ITW and this time it was for a 12.4 wheelbase. Out of curiosity since the 11.4 links with the vader skid is not 11.4 I thought I would see what I could come up with between the two sets. As luck may have it using the front links form the 12.4 set as rear links made it so i have now I would say closer to 11.5" wheelbase which I will settle for since it will fit the body I am using nicely!
IMG_3413 by T Buggy, on Flickr

Speaking of the body, I got that all painted and assembled while I am waiting on some driveshafts to show up for this rig.
IMG_3381 by T Buggy, on Flickr

IMG_3382 by T Buggy, on Flickr

Picture of the interior when it was on the exterior.
IMG_3375 by T Buggy, on Flickr

Sprayed the bed and tail gate with bed liner.
IMG_3372 by T Buggy, on Flickr

If it wasn't for the build I recently saw Tropher doing I wouldn't have thought of laying down the rear shocks (at least not right away). Thanks for the insight! That made fitting the body much better. I will get pics of the body a little later. I am still trying to figure out how I want to cut the interior to fit. I was hoping I didn't have to but of that would be too easy!
Old 05-18-2021, 09:27 AM   #6
Go Buckeyes!

Glad to hear you have the links figured out. My C1 build was around 11.5" after I rearranged the links. I lengthened my front upper link to get it closer to 11.4". It was clocked back a little too far.

Great job on the body! Love the color! The interior looks great too!

Nice job on the bed and tailgate! The bedliner adds a nice touch of realism!
Old 06-09-2021, 08:31 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Hey, quit foolin' around with jobs, families, and other hobbies or whatever, and get this thing done.
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 10:10 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Haha..this is all true but I am a lot further along than perceived. I didn't really take pics of the method to my mayhem but so far I think it has turned out great for what I had to do. I already have a new motor 2200kv revolver to replace the castle in there currently. Haven't gotten to that quite yet though.
Some pics of the body all mounted up.
6D210A48-00EB-475D-BC77-DDCD4C2CDA98 by T Buggy, on Flickr

I still need to figure how I want to reinstall the shifter knobs and then create some sort of side panel to hide the electronics even more.
EEBCAA21-65CD-48E0-9359-3BB00ECF28C7 by T Buggy, on Flickr

4A4DDD1F-BB58-437F-BEE0-0B8BB1097A17 by T Buggy, on Flickr

Wheel clearance for front end is actually pretty good with only minor tire rub and the hard turn angle while one side fully compressed and other side fully extended. Rear on the other hand has a bit more rub. I was thinking of flaring the fenders but it is some thick plastic in comparison to the TF2 body fenders. So I didn't want to risk ruining the body. That made me decide to get another body to focus more on the performance aspect and got a TF2 body kit that I am working on currently. I really like the idea of a full interior on the crawler and I will end up getting a full interior on the TF2 body some day but in the meantime I will have the 4runner body for more style and then the TF2 body for better performance.

Not that the 4runner performs terribly it just has some clearance issues and has a longer bed that also didn't want to bob for two reasons. One being there wasn't much to actually cut out and get a dramatic result from and the other I would have to bob the rear cab some how and with the windows I didn't want to go to that extent.

A short video while test things out in the backyard.
FullSizeRender by T Buggy, on Flickr

I will post up some pics of the other body when I get a chance.

I did get some 3brothers winches for both this and my V3 crawler but both of the winches I purchased from them have failed now for no apparent reason that I can see? I didn't even get to use them much. So those are going back to see if they will be repaired/replaced under warrantee.
Old 06-10-2021, 11:40 AM   #9
Gold Star Baby!

Looking great! I love the 4runner body. One day I’ll have to build something using it.

How did you like the rear suspension with the shocks laid down? Working all right for you? Truck looks good in the video clip.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 11:59 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Thanks Topher! I think the shocks will work out great this way. I was a little concerned at first they may be to soft at that angle but that wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and I can tune them to better suit the mounting position. I am waiting on some ITW shock mod parts so I can try out the Losi mini springs.

I have since picked up some shock keys from IERC to lay them down at even a better angle than with what I was using (some spare camber plates from one of my Tekno buggies). The IERC keys were not quite a perfect fit as far alignment with the chassis pre-drilled holes but they were close enough that if you started them all while loose they seated themselves just fine when tightened down. I only then had to cut small little holes for the tops of the shocks but they are still concealed underneath the back seat so I am happy with it.

I have so scale fab rear bumper and roll bar in route so I will have to see what other mods to the chassis/body will need to be made once they arrive.

Here are a couple other short running clips.
https://youtu.be/TRyFE98Zgq4

https://youtu.be/65bWbpzrb8c

I still have to accessorize this rig too! Definitely a work in progress but have been enjoying running it regardless.
Old 06-16-2021, 10:52 AM   #11

Really digging this build. Those wheels are sick!

Once all the mechanicals are sorted, I like the idea of having a scale-focused body and another one for better performance. I'll get there eventually...

Solid backyard playground too.
CruisinE2W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 07:09 AM   #12
Go Buckeyes!

Build looks great! It looks great out on the rocks! Thanks for sharing the vids!

Love the look of the Pro-Build wheels! Got any other pics of them mounted? Which hubs did you go with? I've been thinking about picking up a set for my V1-C1 build hoping that I could get the tires tucked to be legal.
Old 06-17-2021, 08:54 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

The wheels are the adjustable offset ones so I was able to assemble them to make the stance perfect with the body.

Some better pics of the wheels;
IMG_3433 by T Buggy, on Flickr

IMG_3436 by T Buggy, on Flickr

And just a couple more pics. I am pretty sure I am going to need to see about getting a 3d printed motor bay or the RC4WD one. I can't have the hood open just to look at a servo now! LOL
IMG_3437 by T Buggy, on Flickr

IMG_3434 by T Buggy, on Flickr
Old 06-17-2021, 09:47 AM   #14
Go Buckeyes!

Hey, thanks for the wheel pics! They sure do look good! Since the TGH wheels have been impossible to buy lately, I'm thinking these Pro-Builds will work perfect with my Mojave II body.

As for the engine bay, I do like the looks of the new RC4WD engine cover. It has a lot of details and can be painted up to look super scale!
Old 06-20-2021, 11:58 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Some action pics with the other body, I have been working on.

BEEB35F7-8005-4C11-A059-B5AA06B1E4F7 by T Buggy, on Flickr

C4EBC914-E35F-4992-B85B-AD2692F020FE by T Buggy, on Flickr

4F50A796-3D86-4E73-ACB2-B17F0DF2C5E9 by T Buggy, on Flickr

A30DC121-D123-4A7A-9A5E-2928FE4E6DB0 by T Buggy, on Flickr

AF64745F-7EA0-4B43-890A-56BE4F5E5572 by T Buggy, on Flickr

32513F1E-5DCE-4DCF-ACE6-E9E9A9098E27 by T Buggy, on Flickr

Some side hill action
C8C8B6B9-B48D-42FA-8F65-ABBB4B71BB02 by T Buggy, on Flickr

I messed up when I ordered my rear bumper. Its not the correct width to mount on the frame and it also sits way to high in comparison to the chassis. I will have to make some alterations to it but eventually this is the bumper I plan to use in the rear.
2FC614B1-6A74-413A-A78B-7A36487FB54B by T Buggy, on Flickr

I am still working on the interior of the 4runner body and will get updates posted eventually on that one when completed.
Old 06-20-2021, 06:46 PM   #16
RCC Addict

I’m not usually a fan of brighter green colors, but that is pretty sweet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 09:05 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
I’m not usually a fan of brighter green colors, but that is pretty sweet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LOL, I actually intended to paint it with an ugly 80's color. I thought it would be fitting for this body.

Now that its done I like it much better than even I thought I would.
Old 06-21-2021, 06:14 AM   #18
Go Buckeyes!

Great color choice for the Mojave body! Looks awesome!

Great job on the fender flaring! Looks neat and clean and looks like it covers the tires well!
Old 06-24-2021, 08:02 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Where are the bumpers from?

Lou
TK421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 11:29 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

The bumpers are from Scalerfab.