Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: B-MOW's GSPEED V3 VS4-10 Origin VFD Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2021, 09:48 AM   #1
Go Buckeyes!

Default B-MOW's GSPEED V3 VS4-10 Origin VFD Build

Taking the Origin in a new direction. After building a GSpeed TGH-V3 chassis recently and seeing how great these chassis' are, I decided to add the carbon fiber TGH-V3 chassis rails to my Vanquish VS4-10 Origin.

First a back story of this rig. I first bought the Origin back in July 2018. I first caught a glimpse of this new VP rig at Team KNK TTC 5 here in Ohio in 2018. There were 2 pre-production models running in the competition. I instantly fell in love with the rig and knew that I had to have one. As soon as these Origins went on pre-order, I quickly put an order in.

Over the past few years, I've entered it into a few competitions and had it out on the trails and I kept it mainly stock. I did add a set of Traxxas GTS shocks to it right after I built it. I spent many hours trying to get the stock Incision shocks to hold shock oil without any luck. I really wanted to like these shocks, but I just got tired of messing with them. In 2019, I purchased a new VP Chassis Kit and a VFD trans to freshen it up and put the lastest and greatest transmission in it. Since then it has been parked in the garage and has not seen any trail time.

Here is a look as it sits present day. Origin body gone topless with a Knight Customs roll bar with VP Method 310's with Pitbull OG Rock Beast tires.

Name:  IMG_6051.jpg
Views: 3590
Size:  180.4 KB

The new GSpeed TGH-V3 carbon fiber chassis kit and accessories. I decided to go with the Team Garage Hack Dual Servo mount so that I can keep it similar to how the stock Origin is with the servo and winch up front side-by-side.

Name:  IMG_6052.jpg
Views: 3141
Size:  180.8 KB

Here is an under body look at how the Origin is currently sitting.

Name:  IMG_6053.jpg
Views: 3158
Size:  181.8 KB

Name:  IMG_6054.jpg
Views: 3134
Size:  180.9 KB

Pulled off the complete front and rear axle and also the VFD trans. This is all I will need of the Origin to add to the GSpeed V3.

Name:  IMG_6055.jpg
Views: 3138
Size:  181.4 KB

And here some pics of the axles installed. Very easy install! Everything was basically plug-and-play! The only issue is the panhard link. I'll have to work on getting the correct length figured out.

Name:  IMG_6056.jpg
Views: 3225
Size:  181.1 KB

Name:  IMG_6057.jpg
Views: 3169
Size:  179.9 KB

Name:  IMG_6058.jpg
Views: 3032
Size:  179.1 KB

Name:  IMG_6059.jpg
Views: 3095
Size:  177.9 KB

Name:  IMG_6060.jpg
Views: 3104
Size:  179.9 KB

That is all for now. I have some aluminum spacers on order so that I can get the VFD trans installed. More on that later.

Thanks for taking a look!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2021, 09:58 AM   #2
Slow is the new Fast

Default Re: B-MOW's GSPEED V3 VS4-10 Origin VFD Build

Low COG chassis’ got ya hooked! My biggest hesitation is that once I try one my c-channels will all feel deficient. I gather you are keeping the suspension sprung? May have to pick up a flat rail set for the Enduro.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 12:03 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Dang! I just ran out of popcorn from your other G speed build. Hold on, I need to go pop some more. I'll be right back

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 01:47 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Patiently waiting to see how the vfd integrates into the chassis.

I appreciate your threads, good documentation and great photos. Look forward to more.
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 06:01 PM   #5
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
Low COG chassis’ got ya hooked! My biggest hesitation is that once I try one my c-channels will all feel deficient. I gather you are keeping the suspension sprung? May have to pick up a flat rail set for the Enduro.
Yeah they sure do! I'll still keep my other c-channel rigs. I still love the scale looks of a c-channel rig cruising down the trails. I've never had a flat rail COG rig, so I'm really looking forward to seeing how well these do. The only reason I decided to convert my Origin is because my VS4-10 PRO is basically the exact same rig after I added in the VFD trans to the Origin. The PRO will always be a c-channel! No reason to destroy that greatness!

I may keep the suspension sprung just like it was on the Origin. On the Origin, I ran the pre-load adjuster on the GTS shocks all the way up. The chassis basically rode on the axles giving it a low COG. It was a heavier rig, so I may have to get a different set of softer springs for this new V3 chassis. I'll know once I get it fully loaded and see how she sits.

Yeah, I've seen a few Enduro conversions to the GSpeed rails. They look great and look to perform well. The extra set of G10 rails that I have will end up in my Enduro eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX-D View Post
Dang! I just ran out of popcorn from your other G speed build. Hold on, I need to go pop some more. I'll be right back

Hey, you may want to grab the super-sized movie theater popcorn! I still have another set of GSpeed chassis rails to go in my Enduro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
Patiently waiting to see how the vfd integrates into the chassis.

I appreciate your threads, good documentation and great photos. Look forward to more.
Thanks twade for the kind words! I'm hoping these threads will help out others in the future. I just hope I'm getting it right and not steering someone in the wrong direction. These low COG rigs are new to me!

I too can't wait to see how the VFD will fit in this chassis. I've been taking notes from another GSpeeder on FB. He has built a few of these using the VFD trans and he has done an amazing job!
Old 03-22-2021, 06:16 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
I still have another set of GSpeed chassis rails to go in my Enduro!

!
You're killing me Smalls. Hang tight..... I now have to make a run to Costco for this oversized movie theatre popcorn.

MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 07:38 PM   #7
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX-D View Post
You're killing me Smalls. Hang tight..... I now have to make a run to Costco for this oversized movie theatre popcorn.

Grab two!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-22-2021, 08:55 PM   #8
Gold Star Baby!

BMow you are on fire brotha! It’s exciting to see these builds coming from you. From what I’ve seen on Instagram these are going to be some killer rigs.

Interested in seeing how you get the VFD installed with that skid. As far as your panhard, it looks like the TFR version may work out for you. Link below. I prefer a longer panhard as you get a wider arch which equals less axle swing but with 90mm or smaller shocks it would likely be negligible compared to this one.

https://gspeedchassis.com/products/g...9981783f&_ss=r

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
I still enjoy my c channel rigs, my trx4 can hang well enough with these that it doesn’t feel deficient, just different. My old 10.2 is still a fun wheel as well. I think it’s a great swap for the enduro platform, working on one of those myself with an enduro kit and cf gspeed v3.

Last edited by Topher Builds; 03-22-2021 at 09:03 PM.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 09:46 AM   #9
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
BMow you are on fire brotha! It’s exciting to see these builds coming from you. From what I’ve seen on Instagram these are going to be some killer rigs.

Interested in seeing how you get the VFD installed with that skid. As far as your panhard, it looks like the TFR version may work out for you. Link below. I prefer a longer panhard as you get a wider arch which equals less axle swing but with 90mm or smaller shocks it would likely be negligible compared to this one.
Thank you very much TB! Glad to see you back on here!

I am very excited to dip my toe in the GSpeed low COG waters! Ever since I first saw your V3 build last year, I've been wanting to build one...or two...or maybe three! The sweet deal that Gabe offered recently pushed me over the edge to get my new build(s) underway!

I can't wait to see how the VFD will fit on this skid and see how this V3 build will compare to my mainly stock VS4-10 PRO. Luckily one of your GSpeed teammates on FB has built a few of these and has posted excellent pics of how he has accomplished fitting all the VS4-10 goodies in it. I've been taking notes!

I did get the TFR panhard mount with my CF rails and also picked up the G-MP multi platform mount. I was hoping to use the G-MP mount in this build because it worked out so well in my other V3 build. It allows full compression without any contact with the panhard mount. I was afraid by using the TFR mount that it would limit the full compression. I'll take another look at the TFR mount tonight and see if it will work out better. I may have to see about putting some slight bends in the panhard link to get the clearance I need.

I did spend a little time last night lengthening the panhard link to see if I could get it to work. Right now the link is at 113mm long and the axle is fairly centered in the chassis. But, and a big BUT, the panhard link, servo horn and axle all make contact when compressing the drivers side. More work to be done! But that's what makes it fun!!!!!
Old 03-24-2021, 09:17 AM   #10
Gold Star Baby!

If you end up trying the TFR mount maybe this may help, it has a double bend. You can use the rod ends in a few combos to change the lengths to 89mm or 93.5mm or 98mm.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/ssd-rc-...d00122/p577539

Working out the links are definitely part of the “fun” of these builds. Mikey’s hardcore Rc links used to work out for me well with few adjustments, but I haven’t placed an order with the tgh hardcore yet. Next set of custom links I have coming is from tnt customs, high hopes for those and the v1c1 build.

Last edited by Topher Builds; 03-24-2021 at 09:20 AM.
Old 03-25-2021, 09:35 AM   #11
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
If you end up trying the TFR mount maybe this may help, it has a double bend. You can use the rod ends in a few combos to change the lengths to 89mm or 93.5mm or 98mm.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/ssd-rc-...d00122/p577539

Working out the links are definitely part of the “fun” of these builds. Mikey’s hardcore Rc links used to work out for me well with few adjustments, but I haven’t placed an order with the tgh hardcore yet. Next set of custom links I have coming is from tnt customs, high hopes for those and the v1c1 build.
Nice find! I forgot SSD had these available. I'll have to get a set ordered and give them a try. I meant to buy these a couple years ago for 10.2 build but never got around to it.

I got to thinking! The stock panhard mount on the VS4-10 may also work since it was designed to work with these axles. I'm going to give that a look also when I try out the TFR mount.

I've seen a few people mention the TNT Customs links on FB. They sound like great links and may be another good option.

Can't wait to see your V1-C1 build! I fell in love with Gabe's when he showed it off in a video he posted awhile back. I've noticed these rigs are hot now and parts for these are limited and/or non-existent at the moment. That's the main reason why I'm going to wait to build one later this year. Maybe by then more parts will be available. Plus, I have enough on my workbench now to keep my busy for awhile!

Thanks for the info TB!
Old 03-31-2021, 09:46 AM   #12
Go Buckeyes!

Quick update. Spent a little time last night getting the VFD trans to fit in the chassis.

In order to get the front of the VFD mounted, I cut off the front mounts off of the stock plastic servo mount. In their stock form, they were too wide to fit between the chassis rails, so I sanded about 3mm off of each one.

Name:  IMG_6086.jpg
Views: 2678
Size:  181.2 KB

Name:  IMG_6095.jpg
Views: 2702
Size:  177.9 KB

Nice tight fit after they were sanded. I plan on using two screws to mount each side to the chassis rails. I did get holes drilled in the skid plate, but I'll have more on that later. I'm planning on using a different skid plate for this build.

Name:  IMG_6091.jpg
Views: 2726
Size:  169.5 KB

Name:  IMG_6092.jpg
Views: 2671
Size:  147.5 KB

Mounting holes marked and drilled. Added a piece of tape to each rail and screwed them down to a scrap piece of wood to help keep the holes straight and keep the CF from splintering.

Name:  IMG_6094.jpg
Views: 2865
Size:  158.3 KB

Planning on getting the chassis back together tonight and getting the VFD trans installed completely. More to follow later!
Old 03-31-2021, 08:09 PM   #13

Pics are awesome. Love the quality and the staging!
Merovean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 06:22 AM   #14
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovean View Post
Pics are awesome. Love the quality and the staging!
Thank you very much!

And thanks for taking a look!
Old 04-02-2021, 04:59 PM   #15
Go Buckeyes!

Got the chassis back together and the VFD trans fitted in. Instead of using the TJ RC Products skid plate that came with the TGH-V3 kit, I decided to use a TSS delrin skid plate that I purchased a few years ago for my SCX10.2. I wanted to keep the black theme throughout the chassis rails and didn't like how the white TJ skid looked. The TSS skid is basically the same except for it being a wider front to back. It is still the same width between the rails.

I need to give GSpeed Team Driver Phil T. a shout out for giving me the inspiration to start this build. He has converted many VS4-10's into these GSpeed V3 chassis' and it is his vision that I followed to get the VFD trans into this chassis. He has some absolutely beautiful builds and if you haven't seen them then you need to take a look at them. Thanks Phil!

I set the VFD on the skid plate and marked where the holes needed to be drilled. Drilled holes and then countersunk them.

Name:  IMG_6098.jpg
Views: 2588
Size:  181.0 KB

I used 9mm alum spacers on the two mounts on the right side and an 8mm spacer on the left mount. I had to add a washer on top of the front alum spacer to get the spacing right before I tightened them down.

Name:  IMG_6100.jpg
Views: 2580
Size:  178.4 KB

Name:  IMG_6101.jpg
Views: 2584
Size:  178.7 KB

Name:  IMG_6102.jpg
Views: 2636
Size:  181.7 KB

Here is a side view showing where the motor sits inside the chassis rails. At full compression (this pic is not at full compression), the motor sits slightly above the lower links like it did in the stock VS4-10 chassis.

Name:  IMG_6103.jpg
Views: 2541
Size:  155.3 KB

The next two pics is a look down from the top and up from the bottom to show how close the spur gear is to the front servo mount. I moved it forward as close to the servo mount as I could and still left a little room to spare. I really wanted to use the stock spur gear cover to protect the spur and pinion, but that would have pushed the trans too far back on the skid plate and the trans mounting bolts would have been to close the rear lower link mounts. I also had to notch the skid plate for the front upper link to clear.

Name:  IMG_6104(Edited).jpg
Views: 2549
Size:  97.3 KB

Name:  IMG_6105.jpg
Views: 2547
Size:  151.3 KB

And a couple aerial views of how the chassis sits now.

Name:  IMG_6099.jpg
Views: 2584
Size:  181.5 KB

Name:  IMG_6107.jpg
Views: 2509
Size:  179.4 KB

Here is a look at the front end. I still need to work on the panhard link. I'm having issues with the panhard link hitting the servo horn at full compression. I have a GSpeed laydown servo mount on order to see if that will help me get the clearance that I need.

Name:  IMG_6108.jpg
Views: 2520
Size:  178.7 KB

Up next I'll be working on getting the electronics out of the VS4-10 Origin chassis and into this CF V3 chassis.

Last edited by B-MOW71; 04-02-2021 at 05:09 PM.
Old 04-02-2021, 06:03 PM   #16

If your transmission is in the same location as the VFD skid or any further forward you may run into clearance issues with spur gear and G-LD mount. I had to grind mine down a few millimeters but there is plenty of material that can be removed. I have no clearance issues with the servo horn and any of the links up front at full compression. Awesome Build!!
caluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 07:59 AM   #17
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caluke View Post
If your transmission is in the same location as the VFD skid or any further forward you may run into clearance issues with spur gear and G-LD mount. I had to grind mine down a few millimeters but there is plenty of material that can be removed. I have no clearance issues with the servo horn and any of the links up front at full compression. Awesome Build!!
Thanks for the heads up!

I did a side-by-side comparison with your pics of yours and it looks like my trans sits a little further back and slightly higher. It looks like the stock VFD skid sits lower in the chassis and moves the trans farther forward compared to the flat delrin skid that I am using. The G-LD servo mount looks like it mounts in the same location as the TGH dual servo mount, so I'll find out for sure when the new servo mount arrives.

I'm fairly certain by switching to the G-LD mount it will allow for full compression since it puts the servo horn vertical out front of the axle.

Thank you and I'm digging yours as well!
Old 04-05-2021, 05:53 PM   #18

Are those Traxxas TRX4 shocks? How do you like them? I have had great results with most Traxxas Shocks. Just ordered a set of the PTFE coated ones for my build.
caluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 06:29 AM   #19
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caluke View Post
Are those Traxxas TRX4 shocks? How do you like them? I have had great results with most Traxxas Shocks. Just ordered a set of the PTFE coated ones for my build.
Yes, these are the Traxxas GTS TRX-4 shocks. I found a set off take offs on eBay for under $50 bucks. I installed these when my Origin was new. I couldn't get the stock Incision shocks to hold shock fluid.

These GTS shocks are my favorites to use. I use them on almost all of my rigs. The are super smooth and leak zero shock fluid!

And I use the Samix brass spring cups on them as well. Adds a little weight down low and holds the spring on tight.

Last edited by B-MOW71; 04-06-2021 at 06:31 AM.
Old 04-07-2021, 10:03 AM   #20
Gold Star Baby!

Nice progress on this beauty. The VFD looks tucked in well there. I like the spacers you used, adding the washer seems to have helped offset some of the skid angle to keep your drive lines straight too.

Hopefully the GLD helps with your servo clearance.

Tags
gspeed, gspeed-lcg, origin, vs4-10, vs410

B-MOW's GSPEED V3 VS4-10 Origin VFD Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
B-MOW's VS4-10 Origin Limited B-MOW71 Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin 40 09-15-2023 06:18 AM
B-MOW's GSPEED TGH-V3 LCG Chassis Build B-MOW71 1.9 Scale Rigs 81 02-10-2023 06:16 AM
Vanquish VS4-10 Origin Limited Build/Thoughts Issues rohrej Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin 131 03-26-2021 08:09 AM
Topher pieces together a VFD VS4-10 Custom Topher Builds Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin 60 10-29-2020 09:03 PM
Boldfin's VS4-10 with VFD Trans and TRX-4 Axles boldfin Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin 63 09-11-2020 08:53 AM