Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: G-Speed v3 VFD AR45 straight axles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2021, 01:02 AM   #1

Default G-Speed v3 VFD AR45 straight axles

Got the chassis mocked up today. Need to finalize a few links and add the rest of the electronics. Can’t wait to get this thing on the rocks! I will update this thread as I finish the build.

Parts:
G-Speed TGH-V3 chassis
G-Speed G-LD servo mount
Vanquish VFD transmission
Axial ar45 straight axles (scx10 III straight axle conversion kit)
Incision driveshafts (scx10 II)
Incision 12.3 link kit (scx10 II)
3Brothers G14 servo
Team Brood riot s 2000kv outrunner
Canquish wheels with Locked Up hardware
Proline scaler shocks
Proline power wagon body
SSD scale hubs

Sorry didn’t take any pictures of trimming the VFD skid but it’s pretty much a direct bolt in. Just trimmed off all of the upper link mounts. Hole spacing bolts right up to G-Speed rails. I did clearance the back of the servo mount also, just a few mm to clear the spur gear and its retaining nut.

caluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2021, 06:14 AM   #2
Go Buckeyes!

Default Re: G-Speed v3 VFD AR45 straight axles

Sweet looking build! Great list of parts!

Nice to see you used the stock VFD skid. Look like it fits in the chassis perfectly. Do you have any plans to mount the motor plate to the chassis?

Following along and looking forward to seeing more!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 09:02 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I love this!!

Lou
TK421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 10:16 AM   #4
RCC Addict

This looks great! Looks like everything is fitting together perfectly.
Robotboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 10:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Sweet looking build! Great list of parts!

Nice to see you used the stock VFD skid. Look like it fits in the chassis perfectly. Do you have any plans to mount the motor plate to the chassis?

Following along and looking forward to seeing more!

You Sir, have some very impressive G-Speed builds, very nice build threads also.

The VFD skid fits the chassis very well just had to remove all of the upper link mounts from the skid and use the ones provided in the chassis. By retaining the factory skid it does tie the motor plate to the skid plate. I'm thinking about just getting the Vanquish aluminum transmission spacer tubes and calling it good. There shouldn't be too much torque twist on that part of the drivetrain. Once I get the motor and esc mounted and slam it from forward to reverse I will know for sure.

If I do end up needing to mount the motor plate it will be very similar to your VS-410 setup. Hopefully be able to modify the stock mounts in some way.

I only have about 3 hours in the build so far, so time will tell what else will change on the truck. Thanks.
Old 04-02-2021, 10:28 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Great looking build!! I'll be interested to see how well it does out on the rocks.
Lashlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 04:18 PM   #7
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caluke View Post
You Sir, have some very impressive G-Speed builds, very nice build threads also.

The VFD skid fits the chassis very well just had to remove all of the upper link mounts from the skid and use the ones provided in the chassis. By retaining the factory skid it does tie the motor plate to the skid plate. I'm thinking about just getting the Vanquish aluminum transmission spacer tubes and calling it good. There shouldn't be too much torque twist on that part of the drivetrain. Once I get the motor and esc mounted and slam it from forward to reverse I will know for sure.

If I do end up needing to mount the motor plate it will be very similar to your VS-410 setup. Hopefully be able to modify the stock mounts in some way.

I only have about 3 hours in the build so far, so time will tell what else will change on the truck. Thanks.
Thank you! You have a great looking build as well! It is a very clean and neat!

Yes, the aluminum spacer tubes may be all you need. I may have went a little overkill on mine, but I wasn't sure how the motor torque would effect the motor plate.

Modifying the stock mounts wasn't too hard to do. I just put my belt sander upside down in my vise and lightly sanded the mounts down to the thickness that I was needing.
Old 04-02-2021, 04:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lashlee View Post
Great looking build!! I'll be interested to see how well it does out on the rocks.
Me also, this is my first flat rail build. All of my other crawlers are scx10 based.
Old 04-02-2021, 04:49 PM   #9

Had some free time the last few days. Got the front bumper modified and mounted. Wheels and tires mounted and the body all fit and trimmed. Still need to figure out body mounts. Super pumped with how the build is turning out. I can't wait to drive this thing.

Old 04-02-2021, 08:57 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Looking good bro! What compound Growlers are you running? I have the Komi compound on my pro and they are surprisingly sticky. Look forward to seeing how that motor works for you.

Lou
Old 04-02-2021, 09:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK421 View Post
Looking good bro! What compound Growlers are you running? I have the Komi compound on my pro and they are surprisingly sticky. Look forward to seeing how that motor works for you.

Lou
I have the Komp compound as well. Seem pretty sticky but can’t wait to break them in. My first set of Pitbull tires so we will see. Have a set of Proline Krawlers in G8 on the way also. I am not a big fan of super soft compounds like predadtor or alien. Feel like they just deform/fold over too easily.

I am planning on running 4S with this motor but I have no idea it will be good or not. This is my first outrunner set up. Based on the KV I think it will be perfect. I like wheel speed when needed.
Old 04-03-2021, 05:32 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by caluke View Post
I have the Komp compound as well. Seem pretty sticky but can’t wait to break them in. My first set of Pitbull tires so we will see. Have a set of Proline Krawlers in G8 on the way also. I am not a big fan of super soft compounds like predadtor or alien. Feel like they just deform/fold over too easily.

I am planning on running 4S with this motor but I have no idea it will be good or not. This is my first outrunner set up. Based on the KV I think it will be perfect. I like wheel speed when needed.
I run an 1800 snubnose in my v3. With strait axles I think you’ll be in it. I run trx4 axles so I had to drop to the 52t spur. Test drove last night and finally happy with the gearing. I’ve been running the softer compounds and I think I’m gonna start transitioning to slightly stiffer like the G8. I’ve been in helis and drones for a long time so out runners are old hat for me. They are pretty sweet in the right application.

Lou
Old 04-03-2021, 07:50 AM   #13
Go Buckeyes!

Wheel and tire combo look great! The scale hardware really set them off! I agree on the Komp and G8 compounds. The predator and alien compounds are too sticky for my terrain and they like to fold over on themselves when side hilling.

I like how you notched the bed to fit around the rear shock tires. Looks nice and solid bolted to the chassis rails.

Can't wait to see some paint splashed on it!
Old 04-04-2021, 09:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK421 View Post
I run an 1800 snubnose in my v3. With strait axles I think you’ll be in it. I run trx4 axles so I had to drop to the 52t spur. Test drove last night and finally happy with the gearing. I’ve been running the softer compounds and I think I’m gonna start transitioning to slightly stiffer like the G8. I’ve been in helis and drones for a long time so out runners are old hat for me. They are pretty sweet in the right application.

Lou
Got a chance to test drive the truck today and it has great low speed capabilities and plenty of wheel speed also. The truck is on 4s 2000kv with 14/84 gearing 48 pitch which would be like 9/56 in 32 pitch gearing.

I really wasn’t all that impressed with the tires though. I will give them a chance to break in but I also have some Proline Flat Irons in G8 on backorder.
Old 04-04-2021, 09:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Wheel and tire combo look great! The scale hardware really set them off! I agree on the Komp and G8 compounds. The predator and alien compounds are too sticky for my terrain and they like to fold over on themselves when side hilling.

I like how you notched the bed to fit around the rear shock tires. Looks nice and solid bolted to the chassis rails.

Can't wait to see some paint splashed on it!
Thanks, I’m really happy with the wheels for sure. Pretty sure I’m about $100 all in for those and the SSD scale hub/wheel nuts.

Not so stoked on the tires but I will give them a chance to break in and see if they get any better.

Hopefully get her painted in the next few days!!!
Old 04-04-2021, 10:09 PM   #16

Got a carbon fiber bed floor cut out and all of the electronics installed this weekend. Now I just have to come up with a paint job and rear bumper.
Wish there was a smaller and lighter esc but this all I could really find that is 4S compatible.

Quick little running video from today’s shakedown! The low speed capability is awesome. Front fenders need a little more trimming and waiting on a magnet for the front body mount.

Old 04-05-2021, 05:51 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Looking sooooo good!

Lou
Old 04-05-2021, 06:09 AM   #18
Go Buckeyes!

Carbon fiber bed looks great!

I'm really liking the CF receiver tray! Looks great there and keeps the all the wires nice and tidy!
Old 04-05-2021, 08:13 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Need to build a new rig . Like this a lot. Did you mention the weight?
truckbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 09:10 AM   #20

Great Build, wanted to ask, arent those shocks too stiff for a light rig like that?
shOyx is offline   Reply With Quote

G-Speed v3 VFD AR45 straight axles - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Boldfin's VS4-10 with VFD Trans and TRX-4 Axles boldfin Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin 63 09-11-2020 08:53 AM
Successful vfd trans use with trx axles in a vs410 frame Puddin86 Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin 14 03-30-2020 10:25 PM
RC Axle Master's Straight 4340 Chromoly Straight Axles Cruzin Illusion EnRoute Berg 48 08-29-2009 06:07 PM
New Berg Straight Rear Straight Axles Survey LetsHandleit EnRoute Berg 31 07-30-2009 07:58 PM